Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    It's not fun though. Like bosses being immune to certain schools of magic. Lore should never get in the way of gameplay.
    I remember getting my ass kicked in Westfall over and over cause the harvest machines were bleed and poison immune and that was most of my damage.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

i always liked the idea of resistance, defensive stats and even hit/expertise. but i don't see a decent let alone good way to implement them in modern wow.

Quote Originally Posted by agentsi View Post
    Bosses made out of fire should be immune to fire damage. It's a standard in almost every RPG ever, and we are playing an RPG after all. But because of casuals and players with a similar mindset to you, that is no longer how this works. And part of this is still in the game. Physical damage is reduced by the amount of armor you have or a boss has. But no other element is treated this way. Why? Because people cry a lot.

Gameplay should never affect the lore is what you meant to say.
    Logically something made out of fire should be immune to physical damage as well, and cause fire damage to anyone close to it.

It was a way of propping up Professions and adding to the raid gating...

Probably not a terrible system if they hauled it out now and again for kicks. It's a very Early MMO-y thing to do, along with getting together various consumables/stackable buffs to min-max...

I think the game stripped out so much of this type of gearing/prep to "streamline" or to "increase quality of life" that it set a precedent where everything has to be quick and easy, except for the latest time-gating gimmick they build in. THOSE are acceptable because they have "flavor" and "fun" supposedly.

for a resistance to work you would have to have a way more options on gear. In other words you would need to have option and incentive to actually build your character in any other way than just pure dps, unfortunately in wow there is no such thing. Right now we have basically just one stat as crit/mastery/haste/versa doesn't do anything else than just increase your output, you could maybe argue that versa is kinda different cause it also gives you survi so there would be just 2 stats.

Res gear works in arpgs where you actually have a way to craft gear and there is a real benefit of having resistances.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

Quote Originally Posted by exsanguinate View Post
    because blizz is lazy af and got rid of every rpg element to focus on their system crap. and ofc to please the holy player so he is confortable with everything and pay $$$.

im not sarcastic btw
    Resistance gear isn't an RPG thing. It's a general video game thing.

But nice straw man.

10+ Year Old Account
    RES gear back in the day was fun in a world building kind of way but kind of lame in an execution. I have toyed around with the idea of maybe adding Resistances back, and they are randomly rolled (with some way of re rolling maybe) as a bonus stat on some/all gear, but they only affect avoidable abilities, so maybe on Boss #1 if you lucked out with enough Shadow RES you can tank one mechanic instead of having to move, or maybe you are more able to soak something that needs to be soaked.

Quote Originally Posted by owbu View Post
    It's an rpg element. It doesn't fit into the modern arcade WoW which is ruled by 30 minutes of instant fun loop.
    Using a loadout to counter a specific enemy's abilities isn't an RPG element. It's a general game design decision, and in WoW it makes playing the game more boring for no benefit.

It's not interesting. It's a check box.

It serves no purpose other than to annoy players
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

Quote Originally Posted by Zigrifid View Post
    Good idea ! bad execution, having to run dungeons that are 15lvls below the cap to get resist gear so you can defeat raid bosses makes no sense,what makes sense is craftable gear of high quality with resistances (and probably not specific resistances but something like "resist to all magic schools by X " )
    Why is this argument ("shitty green gear") always raised up as if it were the core design of resist fights, when it actually happened ONLY for the nature resistance in AQ ? Everything else (fire resistance in MC, frost resistance in Naxx/Hydross, shadow resistance in TBC...) was always, actually, high-level craftable gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    I don't think it adds anything gameplay wise and it added a burden in terms of grinding/collecting/gold that was an annoyance. I mean don't get me wrong I think TBC is my favourite version of the game, but the need for shadow resist items to kill 1 boss in Black Temple does nothing for the game. Does it make sense thematically? Sure, but personally I don't get any joy or engagement from equipping resist gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    I find resist gear to be somewhat... troublesome.

1) If the content relies too much into it, then it creates arbitrary timegates, where you can't really proceed, until people have the "correct gear" for it. And while getting better gear to get to the harder bosses is already a timegate of it's own, having to collect a secondary set of gear for the other timegate is just too much.

2) If the resist gear is not that important for progression, then people forego the gear entirely, in favor of traditional gear for more dps/healing, which shortens the duration of the encounter, making you take less damage overall from whatever you needed the resist gear for, in the first place.

I feel these points are why resist gear is not really a thing anymore.

These days, people wouldn't appreciate having more gear to juggle than they already have, anyway. I don't think it was a good gameplay mechanic. It was cute, but it was not good.

Yes. Story should inform gameplay, not the other way around.
    As it stood there was no real "decision making" about whether or not to use resist gear. It was a rather binary "do you have it or not," just like how once upon a time spell pen being the gemmed for item in PvP gear until you hit the arbitrary number that would allow you to overcome the pally/shaman/druid buffs. So there was no real complexity or added gameplay value.

Maybe if you made the resistances some sort of battle potion or otherwise obtainable buff that you might have to trade off using another buff for. You could make them craftable or obtainable through reps. Then, at least, players would have to leverage hps/DPS/other survivability versus being able to resist more damage from the boss. It also removes the impetus of having to acquire weird secondary sets of armors.

But even that's bordering on a "solution looking for a problem" territory.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Under current game design dodge and parry aren't that useful because they create more rng in the damage pattern a tank takes. Tank damage these days is all about avoiding burst, and a dodge/parry focused design means that the damage you take becomes less predictable based on dodge/parry rng.
    Who said for tanks?
    Dodge can be something for like Rogues, Monks, Feral Druids and Demon Hunters. For RP purposes.
    Parry can be something for Death Knights, Demon Hunters, Survival Hunter, Brewmaster Monks, Paladin, Outlaw Rogue, Enhancement Shaman and Warrior.

I mean, you want to spice up combat a bit other than just seeing numbers on your screen.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Yeah, god forbid the game have any interesting mechanics in it that are tied to lore

fucking lmao
    "equip a lot of resist items or die" is not interesting mechanic...
    bosses in raids today HAVE crapload of interesting mechanics, in vanila they had 1 or 2, thats why they tried to kinda TIMEGATE it (for some fire resist gear you needed to skin onyxia few times if i remember correctly) but it added absolutely nothing interesting to the fight...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grax View Post
    Excellent point. However, the downside of the current mechanics-based design is that I feel like a puppet on a string. If I don't (literally) dance exactly how Blizz wants me to dance, it's a fail. I've always found one-shot mechanics to be rather cheap.
    thats... LITERALY what resistance gear was about... "equip enough resistance or die"... now you can actualy avoid that with playing good rather than with equiping what blizz wanted you to...

10+ Year Old Account
    Resist gear wasn't good. It wasn't interesting. It was "equip this gear, and then go fight this tank & spank boss with 1 mechanic that you've now rendered impotent".

They've replaced "equip a certain type of gear" as a boss-killing mechanic, and replaced it with other, more interesting mechanics.

Modern bosses, even on normal mode, have 4, sometimes 5 or more individual mechanics, each different from the last.
    Far more engaging and interesting than "equip gear with this stat".

Resist gear was never a good mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Oh no, you have to actually think about the stats on your gear
    no you didnt, you had to equip shitty gear with resistance...
    "boss breaths fire? hmmm what kind of resistance gear should i use..." is not thinking, its literaly equiping what blizz pretty much told you...

slowminded persons in this thread can't grasp that preparation to the raid and acquiring gear was also part of the game and not a chore to be able to play what they think is a "REAL GAME" - raids

fix your minds kekw

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Why is this argument ("shitty green gear") always raised up as if it were the core design of resist fights, when it actually happened ONLY for the nature resistance in AQ ? Everything else (fire resistance in MC, frost resistance in Naxx/Hydross, shadow resistance in TBC...) was always, actually, high-level craftable gear.
    Yeah, with reagents usually farmed inside the raid (It was for MC, anyway), forcing you to grind half the raid for a while, in order to get the materials for resistance-gear (As well as rep hand-ins for the recipes), so you could get past the gatekeeper bosses into the second half, it was pure timegating, no thought required, just grinding.

And really, "Muh RP" aside, what interesting gameplay was involved in "Ok, big fire elemental, better equip my asbestos codpiece for this boss", anyway?

Resist gear, like mob immunities, like hit and expertise, like the defence cap, like mob type contingent damage (exorcism nevaar5get) are all systems that get in the way of you playing they do not "enhance"* (hold up, wait a minute) your gameplay experience.

Blizzard wants your experience to be: Level > kill mobs with small numbers > get purpz > make numbers go big > Kil mobs with big numbers > get mad purpz > make numbers go bigger.
    Every single system listen above inhibits that loop.

But muh ARRRRRPEEEEEEEGEEEEEEEE
    *Blizzard laughs in 13 years of money*
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    It serves no purpose other than to annoy players
    Strange. I can think of a few things in Shadowlands like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Spirit was interesting when you could swap it in and out to decide how much regen you wanted versus throughput. Not sure that applied to pallies but it did to the other healing specs.
    I specifically mentioned spirit on plate gear (that was a thing in vanilla, warriors had spirit on their gear, also it was pretty useless for paladins) to highlight that back then the game had all sorts of poorly thought out "rpg elements" that didn't make much gameplay sense, nor were they fun.