Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    World of Warcraft has always poked at Marvel

    Protection paladins with Avengers shield is literally the prime example for this.

    However, that being said. Do you think the Tyrande fight against Sylvanas poked a bit too much? That stuff came right out of a DBZ episode. It's like some guy high at Blizzard said "well Marvel, superhero stuff is popular right now so why not integrate that into the game?".

    Did you like the Tyrande cinematic? I thought it was literally fanfiction/fanservice tier.

  2. #2
    blizzard has done the ultimate DBZ move: two beams pushing against each other many times so it's not exactly something new.

    i doubt marvel is the one that came up with throwing a shield either.

    everybody steals is inspired by everybody else since the dawn of time and right now many people are growing up on marvel movies so it's only natural.

  3. #3
    You mean like the time Thrall used the spirit bomb/kamehameha on Deathwing? You mean like the time we used the father/son kamehameha on N'zoth?

    Also as an aside, Captain America's shield was famous before the mcu.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

  4. #4
    Enjoy Zovaalthanos and his Infinity Sigils.

  5. #5
    The writers believe that increased power means higher stakes. It's amateur hour.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    You mean like the time Thrall used the spirit bomb/kamehameha on Deathwing? You mean like the time we used the father/son kamehameha on N'zoth?
    Good pick but I'm partial to the time Onyxia split Varian into two Varians, one a pussy, the other an asshole.

    As for the question, yes, the cinematic was over the top hammy nonsense, but it was entertaining, choking a zombie aside. As far as Warcraft 1v1s go it's measurably worse than both Taran Zhu vs. Garrosh and Thrall vs. Garrosh but above Sylvanas vs. Bolvar or Sylvanas vs. Sadfang. It also ranks well below Varian's death, which did over the top animu combat much better. Overall my favorite action sequence is the WoD intro though the Mists intro cinematic is also a bit of pleasant kung fu movie cheese.
    Last edited by Super Dickmann; 2021-07-17 at 09:51 AM.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    Good pick but I'm partial to the time Onyxia split Varian into two Varians, one a pussy, the other an asshole.
    I mean it's not like the two halves were re-absorbed into a single "super" Varian or anything... At least blizzard didn't do that *chuckles nervously*
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    You mean like the time Thrall used the spirit bomb/kamehameha on Deathwing? You mean like the time we used the father/son kamehameha on N'zoth?

    Also as an aside, Captain America's shield was famous before the mcu.
    Avenger's Shield in WoW also predates the MCU. But Captain America was already an Avenger in the comics. The spell's name is a reference to Captain America, not a coincidence.

    On topic: I dont think the Tyrande cinematic was meant to be a superhero homage. I mean, look at the Broken Shore cinematic, or the "I Am My Scars!" cinematic, or literally any of them where a giant powerful being dies. Super powerful fantasy heroes are at the core of Warcraft as a whole, theyre not a bunch of Marvel references.

    I hated the cinematic because of the "secret/important/unknowable" reason for Elune sparing Sylvanas, and literally no reason at all for Sylvanas to spare Tyrande once she was powerless. The fight was blocked for no reason on either side.
    Last edited by Amnaught; 2021-07-17 at 10:12 AM.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    Avenger's Shield in WoW also predates the MCU. But Captain America was already an Avenger in the comics. The spell's name is a reference to Captain America, not a coincidence.
    Wut?
    I didn't say it was? Are you agreeing with me? The link I posted is from the 60s. I'm very confused.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

  10. #10
    Warcraft has always been derivative and full of references. It's not really new. They use really simple concepts and ideas, really simple and classic visual cues. But a lot of media is also derivative and you can easily find a lot of references (story or visual) used in all type of content. It's not that specific to Warcraft, really.

    The biggest question is if it's well done, if it can stand on it's own. I think that, for Warcraft, it mainly does. A lot of the more recent content is clearly influenced by what the devs/artists/writers like a lot, and it's a new generation, but it was the case at the time of Metzen and co. It's just that it wasn't as much manga/anime/comics as the new generation.

    I personally think it's fine. It's often nice to find familiar visual cues if it's well done and fit the content.

  11. #11
    Wait till you hear about Lord of the Rings.

  12. #12
    This weird over the top anime/comic approach they have to making action cinematics since Cata was always one my least favourite parts. It just doesn't work for me. I much prefer cinematics like Wrathgate.
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

  13. #13
    I agree, I'm not opposed to a bit of old-fashioned killing a god with a blade forged of pure friendship anime goodness. But I prefer my warcraft to be more americanised warhammer than americanised dragon ball z.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    I agree, I'm not opposed to a bit of old-fashioned killing a god with a blade forged of pure friendship anime goodness. But I prefer my warcraft to be more americanised warhammer than americanised dragon ball z.
    Yeah pretty much this.
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

  15. #15
    I am Murloc!
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,141
    Quote Originally Posted by Overlordd View Post
    Protection paladins with Avengers shield is literally the prime example for this.

    However, that being said. Do you think the Tyrande fight against Sylvanas poked a bit too much? That stuff came right out of a DBZ episode. It's like some guy high at Blizzard said "well Marvel, superhero stuff is popular right now so why not integrate that into the game?".

    Did you like the Tyrande cinematic? I thought it was literally fanfiction/fanservice tier.
    I mean there are hundreds, if not thousands, of pop culture references in WoW. from throwaway lines said by a random or named NPC to whole questlines (Harrison Jones). As for the Tyrande/Sylvanas fight I actually think it was more like the final Harry Potter/Voldemort showdown. People also said they got major Thanos vibes from the Jailer, which is kinda true; would've been hilarious if they'd given him a glove - maybe they will have his boss encounter drop one - Gloves of Infinite Possibility or something

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    I mean there are hundreds, if not thousands, of pop culture references in WoW. from throwaway lines said by a random or named NPC to whole questlines (Harrison Jones). As for the Tyrande/Sylvanas fight I actually think it was more like the final Harry Potter/Voldemort showdown. People also said they got major Thanos vibes from the Jailer, which is kinda true; would've been hilarious if they'd given him a glove - maybe they will have his boss encounter drop one - Gloves of Infinite Possibility or something
    Gauntlet of Inevitability!

    I disagree with the Harry/Voldemort comparison because both of those wizards actually fought to completion. Elune and Sylvanas showed no reason for holding back, but they did, so it's more of a JJ Abrams Mystery Box thing; make an obvious mystery and then pick whatever fan theory is the coolest to make canon.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    Gauntlet of Inevitability!
    Elune and Sylvanas showed no reason for holding back,
    I think you meant Tyrande
    Elune has literally withdrew her power from Tyrande

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Shedaar View Post
    I think you meant Tyrande
    Elune has literally withdrew her power from Tyrande
    Nah I mean Elune

    Tyrande *didn't* hold back. Elune did, stopping her from killing Sylvanas, for a dumb "mystery box" reason. Sylvanas had a perfect opportunity to finish off Tyrande after she was powerless, but chose to fly away for similarly dumb reasons.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    Good pick but I'm partial to the time Onyxia split Varian into two Varians, one a pussy, the other an asshole.
    So two Varian(t)s?

    I see myself out.
    - Everything that lives is designed to end. We are perpetually trapped in a never ending spiral of life and death. Is this a curse? Or some kind of punishment? I often think about the god who blessed us with this cryptic puzzle… and wonder if we’ll ever get the chance to kill him.

  20. #20
    The Unstoppable Force Arrashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Posts
    22,858
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    Nah I mean Elune

    Tyrande *didn't* hold back. Elune did, stopping her from killing Sylvanas, for a dumb "mystery box" reason. Sylvanas had a perfect opportunity to finish off Tyrande after she was powerless, but chose to fly away for similarly dumb reasons.
    As is a tradition. Remember Garrosh also firmly refused to ever finish his foes. Sylvanas just continues it, and makes sure to stay true to it at every possible occasion.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •