Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

The only thing worse & funnier than the end raid cutscene:

Is the glorious ridiculousness which was Garrosh and his absolutely ham-fisted yet finalized ending, for real. This has to be the bottom of the barrel and how blind people are about it amazes me.

He did not put Teldrassil on fire; Sure. But he did slaughter masses of people in his life - The death tally caused by his interaction alone during the WoD section of the game can surely hold somewhat of a candle to Sylvanas putting the torch to the great tree, and here he goes out - Saying he would do it all again while screaming For The Horde. His Horde that is... Which by all means would have been the most pathetic Horde ever. I miss when people actually were being ironic when saying "Garrosh did nothing wrong" - Dude went out like a chump, not a chad and I loved every single moment of it.

But for real I would like to know what goes trough the heads of the ones in charge of the Warcraft story over at ActiBlizz. Surely they knew the community would get a kick from what now obviously seems to be Sylvanas getting a redemption arc. And yes there is by all means good money in that because; much like this thread - things like this sparks conversation. But there is this one side of me just that don't want to believe that ActiBlizz is going all this just because "Controversy = Traction = More money" There is still something holding on somewhere in me that wants to think that "Surely this will all amount to something similar to their past writing" <- Which by no means was GREAT, but it was better than what we got now.

What do you all think? Is the WoW story just a rudderless ship which is being written to simply push obvious buttons of a community in order to scrape out every single coin that can be snagged? Or does someone think that ActiBlizz at any point will turn things on it's head for a better change?
    The funniest jokes on MMO-Champ in order: (This signature is not calling out anyone in SPECIFIC and is thus not breaking any rules)
    1: All the moderators that does not know how to handle this webpage.
    2: Whoever set up the auto-bot that does not know the rules.
    3: The rules and guidelines themselves.
    Speaking of jokes:https://i.imgur.com/MaBzzAR.png

5+ Year Old Account
    The story is pretty much written with only rule of cool in mind. And I don't mean in the sense of "It is pretty cool how well this is written" but in the "Explosions are cool, pirates are cool, dragons are cool" sense. Apparently WoW still makes enough money, so they won't change and make an effort.

As for Garrosh: After how everyone is doing 180 turns in their personality and even how undead they really are, it was refreshing to see somebody who continued to be an unrepentant bag of dicks for his entire story.

No he went out like a semi-chad, that's because he remained true to his ideals (however flawed they might be) until the very end, doing what he genuinely thought was right. Meanwhile Sylvanas was brainwashed by a Zoomer talking to her for 5 minutes.

I say "semi-chad" because he's an orc and thus he'll never be a true badass.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

i guess it is true that for the last couple expansions the story seems to be designed around "cool" content concepts for expansions. Not content designed around good story. The pacing of the story is also limited because it is intended to present and support the content when the content can be provided to players.

But even for books there are people that read a 1000 page book in a week and beg the author for more/faster content...

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    That's racist!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Men are NOT suffering societal hardships due to being male. That doesn't exist in most 1st world countries.

I wouldn't say he went out like a Chump, it's just Thrall, a Shaman, fought him at probably the best place he probably could have, the Throne of Elements in Nagrand. Garrosh didn't stand a chance.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexeht View Post
    That's racist!
    He only likes alleria, nothing else matters.

He went out semi chad only because the boss was already dead. Not because hes an orc.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    No he went out like a semi-chad, that's because he remained true to his ideals (however flawed they might be) until the very end, doing what he genuinely thought was right. Meanwhile Sylvanas was brainwashed by a Zoomer talking to her for 5 minutes.

When those five minutes take place after you're sent to a bleak, empty hell afterlife forever cut off from your loved ones alongside the one who killed you how much convincing do you need when you're told this guy can stop it from happening?
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    He only likes alleria, nothing else matters.

He went out semi chad only because the boss was already dead. Not because hes an orc.
    Boss wasn't dead, he still needed that one last strike. Still cinematic seems to be empty since there are no other characters in it xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Men are NOT suffering societal hardships due to being male. That doesn't exist in most 1st world countries.

There will come a point in time where Sylvanas is, in fact, not the focus of every single story beat. Perhaps there may yet be a chance for redemption when that is finally the case

Edit: To be clear, I mean redemption for the story, not Sylvanas

Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    The story is pretty much written with only rule of cool in mind. And I don't mean in the sense of "It is pretty cool how well this is written" but in the "Explosions are cool, pirates are cool, dragons are cool" sense. Apparently WoW still makes enough money, so they won't change and make an effort.

As for Garrosh: After how everyone is doing 180 turns in their personality and even how undead they really are, it was refreshing to see somebody who continued to be an unrepentant bag of dicks for his entire story.
    you mean like „blue eyes are cool“ ?

Quote Originally Posted by Skirdus View Post
    There will come a point in time where Sylvanas is, in fact, not the focus of every single story beat. Perhaps there may yet be a chance for redemption when that is finally the case

Edit: To be clear, I mean redemption for the story, not Sylvanas
    I mean its more likely they will make her the new arbiter the way things are going.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    you mean like „blue eyes are cool“ ?
    Blue eyes are cool, red eyes are hot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Spears View Post
    I mean its more likely they will make her the new arbiter the way things are going.
    There must always be an Arbiter. Till we get to the Shadowier Lands and it turns out the Lunch lady was imprisoned for wanting more spices for her food and she created the Arbiter to gather the four kitchen knives to get her out of her shackles.

Garrosh reaction is exactly on purpose. It's about pointing out the wrong behavior of the Shadowlands.
    He was sent to Revendreth to be purged from his sins, but this can't work because his Pride (remember MoP?) defines him entirely.
    So he'll never change, no matter how many multiverses you visit, Garrosh will always act the same. Just see how he's been enrolled as a Lightborne in WoD timeline, he joined team LightSlayers.

And if you don't like that "Uhrrr I like to destroy" character Line, it started with WotLK (Garrosh was a whining baby during TBC). So its old news, it's only pointing out the fact that Shadowlands are just an Anima Factory supplied by the endless circle of hatred that Sylvanas is talking about since BFA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard really should write a super hero game with WoW's creative department, because more often than not WoW does come off like a super hero franchise more than a fantasy franchise these days. From the over the top heroic lines to the way characters are portrayed to the cheesy silliness. :P

15+ Year Old Account
    I do not want to defend the writing team but keep in mind that writing a story for a book, which is release in full length and then consumed as the consumer wants to is a different thing than to make a good story for a veeeeeery long and slow developing MMORPG. I atually think no matter how good the writing team would actually be they can never really make a truly good story experience. Sure, they could increase the consistency of their characters (bad sylv, super evi sylv, regret sylv.... soon good again sylv?) but overall it is reeeeally hard to make a never ending GOOD story.

Funnily before Cataclysm they did not really think of stories that much. And I have the impression that this annoyed people less. The character was more important and so on.

Maybe they realize that it is not worth the effort and rather improve the gameplay experience or stuff like character customisations, player housing, proper change of the cities, maybe more GOOD warfronts in front of main cities? You know stuff that actually feels like an MMORPG
    Zorn | Vynd | Pheraz | Sylwina | Mondlicht | Eis | Blut | Emerelle - Plus 20 more...

Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Hyrican View Post
    i guess it is true that for the last couple expansions the story seems to be designed around "cool" content concepts for expansions. Not content designed around good story. The pacing of the story is also limited because it is intended to present and support the content when the content can be provided to players.

But even for books there are people that read a 1000 page book in a week and beg the author for more/faster content...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pheraz View Post
    I do not want to defend the writing team but keep in mind that writing a story for a book, which is release in full length and then consumed as the consumer wants to is a different thing than to make a good story for a veeeeeery long and slow developing MMORPG. I atually think no matter how good the writing team would actually be they can never really make a truly good story experience. Sure, they could increase the consistency of their characters (bad sylv, super evi sylv, regret sylv.... soon good again sylv?) but overall it is reeeeally hard to make a never ending GOOD story.

Funnily before Cataclysm they did not really think of stories that much. And I have the impression that this annoyed people less. The character was more important and so on.

Maybe they realize that it is not worth the effort and rather improve the gameplay experience or stuff like character customisations, player housing, proper change of the cities, maybe more GOOD warfronts in front of main cities? You know stuff that actually feels like an MMORPG
    I find the WoW end-game Lore since TBC to be cringe and uninteresting. The last time an end-game story touched me was Illidan's personal love issues.
    The Lich King end-game was something I knew I had to be 12 to enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    I wouldn't say he went out like a Chump, it's just Thrall, a Shaman, fought him at probably the best place he probably could have, the Throne of Elements in Nagrand. Garrosh didn't stand a chance.
    Thrall cheated.

Can we take a moment to reflect on the fact that no matter what decision Blizzard made with the end of raid cinematic that this thread would still exist as a circlejerk for "bad writing"?

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Can we take a moment to reflect on the fact that no matter what decision Blizzard made with the end of raid cinematic that this thread would still exist as a circlejerk for "bad writing"?
    True, but they paint themselves Into impossible to resolve corners. I personally think these Interdimensional cosmic conflicts are impossible to actually resolve so you get these tortured redemption arcs, more befitting a superhero or comic book that what was, at the start a fantasy game. The ships been rudderless for so so long there's no way to stop he drift except a reboot or timeskip. IMO.