Why Zul'jin didn't grow his arm back ?

Zul'jin the legendary warlord of the Amani Trolls before, during and after the Second War, up until his premature death in the Burning Crusade, was well-known for his tenacity, cunning, dangerosity as a fighter and burning hatred of the elves of Quel'thalas. But there is also a detail that made him distinct from most other trolls, it's that he had lost his left arm and it never grew back despite the trolls having the ability to grow their amputated limbs back.

Why did Zul'jin never regenerate his lost arm despite his racial ability ? Was it because of some magic, similar to Trol'kalar's power, or did he refuse to grow his lost limb back ?

Most likely he chose not to regenerate it as a reminder of what the Elves did to him and his people, to full their hatred.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure of its accuracy, but from reddit:

Their unique physiology allows them to recover from physical injuries at an Astonishing rate, and they could even recover limbs over time. To regrow limbs you have to be on a good level with your Loa. But zul'jin forced them to his will so the Loa didn't grant him the ability to regrow a limb
    My youtube channels: Sath Reacts: TV & Movie Reactions, and Sath Animations: Stop motion/claymation animations

Simple reason, they can't regenerate limbs.

"All trolls were blessed by the loa with some regeneration. They could regrow fingers and toes, even if more complex parts like limbs and organs were beyond their abilities." - Vol'jin: The Judgement.

Zul'jin was possibly cursed by the loa, and that would be the reason why his arm and eye never regenerated.
    However, trolls are also capable of controlling their regeneration. They can make a conscious decision for a wound to not regenerate entirely as evidenced by Vol'jin in Shadows of the Horde, which may be one explanation to why Zul'jin did not regenerate his arm nor eye. Possibly as a reminder of what the elves did to him, a way to show his people what the elves did to their warlord to fuel their hate even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Better View Post
    Simple reason, they can't regenerate limbs.

"All trolls were blessed by the loa with some regeneration. They could regrow fingers and toes, even if more complex parts like limbs and organs were beyond their abilities." - Vol'jin: The Judgement.
    I recommend you have a look at https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Troll#Retcons cause you're a bit behind on what's current lore there.

Quote Originally Posted by goof View Post
    I recommend you have a look at https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Troll#Retcons cause you're a bit behind on what's current lore there.
    This. It has bounced around a lot over the years.

In fairness too, part of the inconsistencies could be in-universe because there has been mention of exaggeration in universe I believe, or things like the /silly about "growing back bigger"; grand claims about regeneration kinda fit troll culture to a T. I'm inclined to believe that not everyone can regenerate limbs or internal organs, but that Trolls would brag like heck to everyone they know that they did and tell the story all the time, and some would want their own regeneration stories and embellish or make-up.

This is why I wish Blizzard would keep internal logic consistent with these things, and part of why I hate that they just have many writers writing the same things.

3+ Year Old Account
    I think he was just to spiteful to grow it back. Or he just didn't want to as a reminder of how 'evil' elves are?
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

I always just handwaved it as the elves used a magic dagger. Same with the eye.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

I'm regenerating 5 HP per second.. and there's nothing you can do about it!

7+ Year Old Account
    there is a gigantic inconsistency about troll regeneration, it come from this being natural, to being loa blessing, then being natural again, it changed form simple things like fingers, to limbs, then fingers, then limbs and even organs

If they ever make real cano later we will never know.

Until there i stick with what i think make most sense, their regeneration is a natural ability, but in small scale, so it for wounds, fingers and even some small organs, it can be amplified with the loa blessing or denied with their cursing.

If the damage is too big, and it is prevented to properly heal, it don't grow back.

With zul'jin is either, his eye and arm were too damaged too grow back or he was "cursed" by the loa because he was caught by the elves.

The short and easiest answer is Blizzard forgets their own lore. And they do so all the time. For example, Vol'jin has a son in Vanilla WoW. Why it is never brought up again? They simply forgot.

Trolls regrowing limbs is lore they just forgot. Nothing more. it's stupid but that's what it is.

It's just unbelievable that a concept like "trolls regenerate" was left on the table. Trolls have regenerated for decades longer than Blizzard has existed, but they throw it away by accident because... someone doesn't know? Someone doesn't care?

Excellent link to the stupid retcons btw.