Page 1 of 28
1
2
3
11
... LastLast
  1. #1

    The Asmongold Effect

    We cant deny, while XIV is an amazing game, what has undeniably boosted its popularity, is the streamers.

    And while one might say XIV wasnt really affected by Asmongold, it was just people bored of WoW or other MMO's, theres no denying his opinion being positive towards the game helped sway people that were indecisive to give the game a try.

    I legitimatley believe weirdly enough this only prooves influencers actually do have the power to turn the tide of an MMO.

    The opinion of one guy literally caused the servers to run out of space overnight, and yes, that was his influence, 200K people watched him at the same time during peak on his first run and over 1 million people viewed over the day alone.

    1 million people, watched a guy play XIV.

    And now, alot of people are playing XIV.

    This isnt just some random chance, its truth, influence, popularity, its very much what defines an MMO, look back at WoW's machinema days, Illegal Danish, the Grind, the Machinema that came from WoW really did help rise its popularity just from showing the games visual potential.

    Literally you could just start seeing people make Machinema of XIV next and it'd skyrocket its popularity even more, passive entertainment leads to curiousity, leads to trying the game, and in some cases, not all, but some.

    People will buy, sub, and play the game long term.

    Im pretty hyped for Endwalker for this fact alone, this should likely be a wakeup call to Squeenix to put more money into XIV's development over certain "other" projects that didnt do as well *eyes a certain marvel MMO* and likely means they'll see the XIV budget increase, which means more content because more development and development equipment/resources.

    So... yeah, XIV's doing great, Asmongold wasnt the thing that made it great, it had many reasons to be great.

    But Asmongold undeniably made it greater.

    As for its weaknesses? Sure, XIV has a few, I can rip into alot, the 1-50 experience is slow, but definatley better since 5.3, the content combat is slower than wow and wont feel as epic at first but the reward of the challenge defo makes up for it. Raids dont have 14 bosses but instead are divided over 14 single fights, which is a balanced point rather than a bad or good one.

    Content in this game just, has a feel that I can only describe as the WOTLK effect, the era in which wow peaked at its most potent. Casual players have something to do from all spectrums, the ones that want random crap to do (Glamors/bard/dancing/mailbox casuals in limsa/ul'dah) the crafters (that actually have an endgame, wtf?), the raids, which are well rounded for differnet levels of challenge as opposed to one.

    Is it a weeb game too? Idk, I actually argue that FFXIV may be the most Western-friendly JRPG/MMO ive seen considering that it actually makes content thats surpisingly easy to follow lore wise and localised well to make it easy to figure out the world and the setting rather than it being too weird/complex.

    Sure, it has those anime tropes, and rediculas moments but... Ive been playing 3 years now since Stormblood 4.5? And... honestly, this game may very well be my new home.

    So yeah, thanks to Asmon for trying it, and frankly, I hope he continues to enjoy it, and if he finds something wrong with it, let him, and let other people, the game isnt for everyone but its a damn good game all the same.

    Current Thread Warnings:

    This thread is quickly veering into "Game vs. Game" infighting and unrelated bickering as opposed to discussing the effect of Asmongold streaming FF14. Let's pivot back to the thread's actual topic as opposed to these unrelated debates.
    Last edited by Aucald; 2021-07-21 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Added Thread Warnings

  2. #2
    Something new to try, FF14 is refreshing after the lull of WoW.

  3. #3
    So sheep sheeped into a game and that made it better? Like, instantly? If anything, it made it worse, because now you play with dead people, bots really, who have zero personality and markov chain kapa into pog.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

    yall im smh @ ur simplified english

  4. #4
    Weeb Queen Video Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Portland (send help)
    Posts
    15,442
    Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    So sheep sheeped into a game and that made it better? Like, instantly? If anything, it made it worse, because now you play with dead people, bots really, who have zero personality and markov chain kapa into pog.
    I mean i haven't played since 4.0, but it's just the better game and you should be happy more people play it so the wow devs actually wake the hell up and stop churning out garbage with a smug attitude about it all

  5. #5
    I don't know if I would be happy if my game gets swarmed by players that are driven by the desire to experience Drama. But okay, to each their own.

  6. #6
    Titan Val the Moofia Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    14,778
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    We cant deny, while XIV is an amazing game, what has undeniably boosted its popularity, is the streamers.
    Eh, I'd say it's a combination of different things. The "FFXIV > WoW" hype this year was in swing before Asmongold made the shift. Near the end of last year, you had the ARR revamp. Soon after that, you had a ramp up in advertising for FFXIV, which soon led to a lot of memeing about how aggressive FFXIV evangelicals can be (people started getting really annoyed by FFXIV fanboys constantly pestering them to play their game).

    I think the thing that really started setting everything into motion was how much of a nothinburger Shadowlands turned out to be. With every prior expansion, a WoW expansion was a big deal in the gaming public's eye. Even though Legion and BFA's launches weren't anywhere near as big as WoD's, there was still a lot of buzz about BFA on the front page of PCgamer and such. But then with Shadowlands, not a blip. Hardly anyone talked about Shadowlands outside of WoW forums. Shadowlands' launch seemed to have gone relatively unnoticed. Furthermore, for people who were still playing WoW, Shadowlands turned out to be quite the disappointment. None of the changes Ion had promised came to pass. The game was still crappy as ever. Then, starting around Spring 2021, several months had passed since Shadowlands launched and there was no patch in sight, so people started grumbling. That was when the new FFXIV player records made their rounds. Meanwhile, WoW's biggest competitor started hyping up the next expansion, and got a new patch. Burning Crusade classic was released at the same time as a FFXIV patch, but quickly fizzled out. Then Belular started talking about FFXIV, and that's what really started the cascade in the media's eye. Then WoW 9.1 came out and was received rather poorly (which followed a string of PR blunders for Blizzard, with Ion's interview with Preach, Ion blaming his customers for his product not being fun, etc). By this point, the "FFXIV > WoW" narrative was already in full swing. Asmongold trying out FFXIV was just the icing on the cake.

  7. #7
    Calling bullshit. The shift started prior to this guy streaming FFXIV. It was that shift and popularity movement that got him to try it.

  8. #8
    Titan Val the Moofia Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    14,778
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    Literally you could just start seeing people make Machinema of XIV next and it'd skyrocket its popularity even more, passive entertainment leads to curiousity, leads to trying the game, and in some cases, not all, but some.
    It's interesting how despite FFXIV being easier to produce machinima for than WoW (Gpose feature, and you can mod your game so you can place or impersonate NPCs or use better camera manipulation tools, whereas WoW bans any such modifications), but it doesn't have anywhere near as big of a machinima scene that WoW used to have. FluffStuff puts out a machinima twice a year, ZANEKONPU puts out one maybe once a year now, and... that's it? Perhaps machinima culture has died?

  9. #9
    To add, I can't believe a multiBillion dollar company cannot hire real professionals who take care of PUBLIC RELATIONS like this.

    They let this happen.
    Hell, they WANTED this to happen, all their multi-colored haired sjw devs made WoW a game where they can be the victims. Freakin classic.

    Is Blizzard too big to fail?
    Definintely. They could sell 1 pink pixel for 60$ and whales would still buy it. It's sad tho.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Eh, I'd say it's a combination of different things. The "FFXIV > WoW" hype this year was in swing before Asmongold made the shift. Near the end of last year, you had the ARR revamp. Soon after that, you had a ramp up in advertising for FFXIV, which soon led to a lot of memeing about how aggressive FFXIV evangelicals can be (people started getting really annoyed by FFXIV fanboys constantly pestering them to play their game).

    I think the thing that really started setting everything into motion was how much of a nothinburger Shadowlands turned out to be. With every prior expansion, a WoW expansion was a big deal in the gaming public's eye. Even though Legion and BFA's launches weren't anywhere near as big as WoD's, there was still a lot of buzz about BFA on the front page of PCgamer and such. But then with Shadowlands, not a blip. Hardly anyone talked about Shadowlands outside of WoW forums. Shadowlands' launch seemed to have gone relatively unnoticed. Furthermore, for people who were still playing WoW, Shadowlands turned out to be quite the disappointment. None of the changes Ion had promised came to pass. The game was still crappy as ever. Then, starting around Spring 2021, several months had passed since Shadowlands launched and there was no patch in sight, so people started grumbling. That was when the new FFXIV player records made their rounds. Meanwhile, WoW's biggest competitor started hyping up the next expansion, and got a new patch. Burning Crusade classic was released at the same time as a FFXIV patch, but quickly fizzled out. Then Belular started talking about FFXIV, and that's what really started the cascade in the media's eye. Then WoW 9.1 came out and was received rather poorly (which followed a string of PR blunders for Blizzard, with Ion's interview with Preach, Ion blaming his customers for his product not being fun, etc). By this point, the "FFXIV > WoW" narrative was already in full swing. Asmongold trying out FFXIV was just the icing on the cake.
    Oh undeniably there was ALOT more in motion before it, what I mean to say is... as you say, the icing on the cake is a pretty perfect analygy for it.

    The point being that people who have been ON the fence, up until now are giving it a go because the guy who defined that very term of being on the fence, and kept saying he might try it, finally did, found it wasnt so bad, and genuinley gave it a proper go.

    Its true, alotta folks expected him to be alot less open, but hes giving it alot more effort than people expected and Im not really saying that a streamer IS the be all and end all, but it is true, that because of him, alot more people wanna try the game, thats still a win.

    As for people saying "Im not sure I want people like that on for drama" Where is the drama? I would say honestly if you've been watching his stream, he's been pretty genuine about giving the game a chance and actually tried to show his best and worst opinions of it pretty evenly.

    Its only the bad eggs in both sides of the spectrum both the aggressive gate keepers and the trolls within the system that really degrade the enjoyment. Honestly gate keeping the XIV experience isnt healthy, and whining about people not doing it a certain way isnt either, at the same time? Its nice to see people trying it the way its generally seen as the most fun.

    Honestly? Its more that im saying that XIV's benefit from the attention, The Asmongold Effect being the attention its getting because of his streams, which are good!

    Over all, im actually enjoying his progression of the raiding and the end game aswell as his intent to move into the other stuff, legit, I dont really enjoy "Watching" other people do things, but theres something about watching someone smile at something the first time the way you did thats kinda a big yes moment, hell I suppose I did it alot with some of my friends getting them into this game.

    And some did skip, while others did the content from the start, and its each to their own there, im not gonna whine if people think their enjoyment comes more from skipping.

    Either way though? Its true, the fatigue from BFA and Shadowlands definatley added to the flame, and the general consensus that blizzard -REALLY- needs to look at XIV not as a threat, but as an example of the things being done to improove their own game.

    This is me comming from a POV of someone that wants to see WoW succeed in a way that people -dont- trash it as they have been recently, but it is impossible to defend it lately, when so many bad choices were made and doubled-down on, only fixed at the very end by which point its already too late.

    I legitimatley think they should play XIV, the devs, and look at it the same way Yoshi P looked at WoW when he first played it, an objective, look at whats going well in the MMO industry, in XIV, and other MMO's and say "We should try taking some ideas here and adapting them more to be like this".

    Competition does breed successful compeditors after all, and it may help WoW to really thrive again over time.

  11. #11
    Titan Val the Moofia Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    14,778
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    Im pretty hyped for Endwalker for this fact alone, this should likely be a wakeup call to Squeenix to put more money into XIV's development over certain "other" projects that didnt do as well *eyes a certain marvel MMO* and likely means they'll see the XIV budget increase, which means more content because more development and development equipment/resources.
    Doubt it. FFXIV has had serious problems for a long time now. If Square couldn't be bothered to let FFXIV hire a half dozen animators and modellers needed to make Hrothgar and Viera feature complete races (wearing all gear in the game, giving them more than a handful of hair options), or even pay to sort out their horrid website problems, then there is little reason to think they will do so in the future.

  12. #12
    Thinking about it, I'm glad "millions" are leaving WoW. As we all know, only a very small portion of the community plays at the higher level.. Which means the vast majority of those leaving.... Are shitters.

  13. #13
    Its a proven thing that mindless people who cant formulate an opinion for themselves do whaf their streamer gods do, but honestly ffxiv was becoming popular more and more each year due to it being an mmo that delivered, and a dev team that actually cares (lol do you guys not have phones?)

    Asmongold and the others are just bored and tired of WoWs BS and no one can blame them. Hell blizzard brings in classic and its a huge success and now they’re about to ruin that. One can only imagine how bad theyre going to fuck D2 and D4. Dont be mad at the community for wanting a way out and Square providing.

  14. #14
    One month ago queues to log in were barely 24 people. Now its in the 500s.

    I'm sorry but if anyone thinks this isn't because of the streaming community you're in denial. Considering the last piece of content for SHB came out months ago this isn't natural.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Itori View Post
    Its a proven thing that mindless people who cant formulate an opinion for themselves do whaf their streamer gods do, but honestly ffxiv was becoming popular more and more each year due to it being an mmo that delivered, and a dev team that actually cares (lol do you guys not have phones?)

    Asmongold and the others are just bored and tired of WoWs BS and no one can blame them. Hell blizzard brings in classic and its a huge success and now they’re about to ruin that. One can only imagine how bad theyre going to fuck D2 and D4. Dont be mad at the community for wanting a way out and Square providing.
    While I get the point, I think it misses the point I am trying to make here, the point being, the atmosphere of the MMO itself has changed, people are influenced by things they see, thats fact, people play XIV more because it was the second big MMO at the point in time WoW was competing with it in BFA as SHB literally rocketed to being the second top MMO at that era.

    So people wanna see what this MMO is about, to see why it has this title, why people think its so good, what makes it deserve that?

    Its true, maybe there is a fair argument that if you cant make your own choice then your not really making an opinion based on what you want but on what others want you to think.

    But there is a truth that people react to the power of popualrity, they gravitate to whats giving them something to do and it has alot of people playing it.

  16. #16
    It's a shame that WoW is doing so badly since FFXIV is in dire need of some actual competition. FFXIV's new and shiny to a lot of those coming into the game for the first time for for veteran players it doesn't provide much at all that isn't a repetitive grind...which, ironically, is supposedly what WoW is being criticised for lately.

  17. #17
    I think that you exagerate his effect.

    It wasn't just streamers, it was years of Blizzard mistakes with WoW, that continue to this day.

    It was the conjunction of those two aspects that caused the current trend. Not just the streamers.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    I don't know if I would be happy if my game gets swarmed by players that are driven by the desire to experience Drama. But okay, to each their own.
    What are you concocting on that head?
    What drama? People just want to have fun, and it's what they are doing.
    The community seems to be loving it, given how supportive they've been.
    Only WoW fans seem to be salty about it. *shrugs*

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Doubt it. FFXIV has had serious problems for a long time now. If Square couldn't be bothered to let FFXIV hire a half dozen animators and modellers needed to make Hrothgar and Viera feature complete races (wearing all gear in the game, giving them more than a handful of hair options), or even pay to sort out their horrid website problems, then there is little reason to think they will do so in the future.
    Perhaps not on the dev side of things. At least not at this moment. But we are getting a fourth data center and Yoshi P said they are investing 60 million dollars in server infrastructure. Maybe with this sudden windfall the dev team can be expanded as well.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    I think that you exagerate his effect.

    It wasn't just streamers, it was years of Blizzard mistakes with WoW, that continue to this day.

    It was the conjunction of those two aspects that caused the current trend. Not just the streamers.
    Undeniably, but the straw that broke the camels back was absoletuley the fact those streamers decided to try the game, with some liking it and some not, but when one of your biggest named ones with 200K viewers in one day manages to gain that much attention and literally a week later the game SELLS out of copies, that isnt a pure coinicdence.

    People were influenced by that first impression, because they wanted to know if it was 'worth' being invested and they saw that someone that has alot of people watching said "Yeah its alright" meaning, they had their OK to try it.

    I also will say this, XIV was actually in some levels of content fatigue before the streamers arrived, which means they've brought fresh life into the MMO, but theres an irony to that...

    I had the same effect when I saw the SHB trailer, and I legitimately played Stormblood to try out SHB when it was comming out.

    I do not, regret my choice, but alotta poeple were actually having fatigue with XIV around SB 4.5 while I was a new plebian sproutling was enjoying everything for the first time.

    The *irony* is that with each new expansion, every new player, gets an even longer new game experience, which means they have more content to play for longer, which is ironic and yet means they have alot of time to enjoy the game, more than even I did.

    And right now? Im interested in being completionist, im doing every class, every crafter, completing my way through filler content and even the minor side quest stuff because, im enjoying that pointless content, yes, the *pointless* content is fun to do.

    And that says alot, I can find the game fun for *Pointless* reasons, not just the big ones.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    It's a shame that WoW is doing so badly since FFXIV is in dire need of some actual competition. FFXIV's new and shiny to a lot of those coming into the game for the first time for for veteran players it doesn't provide much at all that isn't a repetitive grind...which, ironically, is supposedly what WoW is being criticised for lately.
    I think that isn't the criticism. It's how bad borrowed powers feel, how convoluted the power systems are, the forced daily/weekly chores, the bad story, the class unbalance and the bugs and lag issues.

    FF does not have required daily chores, if that is what you are saying.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •