Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    One month ago queues to log in were barely 24 people. Now its in the 500s.

I'm sorry but if anyone thinks this isn't because of the streaming community you're in denial. Considering the last piece of content for SHB came out months ago this isn't natural.
    True, but as you said we still had login queues. After the reception of Patch 5.3 and the absolute banger of a Fan Fest, FFXIV wasn't exactly hurting. Which was a stark contrast from WoW as well, with reception to BlizzConline being overly negative even by MMO-champion standards. I've had queues even before Bellular joined. Asmon trying the game and actually having a pretty good time certainly helped things, won't deny that.

But FFXIV was riding the Endwalker hype long before this.

I just hope there's a few surprises in store as announcements to keep the hype train rolling over the next few months. Blitzball would do it, I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by xpsync View Post
    But i was trashing wow and telling everyone to play ffxiv why you mad bro? I thought i was being a perfect little lemming

True story. I'll try and keep it short as possible,

I played ffxiv at launch, hit a wall with a dungeon and could not progress, even switched to a healer to get in and proceed... gave up no one was grouping up for this dung, literally hit a brick wall, too heavy on rails game.

Returned and the second i logged in i forgot damn that game stopper, so thought while i get familiar with the ui and whatnot signed up for it, boom instantly got invite sweet now i can progress in the game.

I've been back what a total of 4 minutes and in a dung, so ok this spell damages, i'll keep hitting that, second boss someone died, other people health is low, including mine, i mean the healer is obv total trash, but we kept on getting through no problem, to where i finally realized i was the total trash healer ffs, like what more can i say? Makes no difference what-so-ever.
    Thank you for further showing you never played the game and watched a portion of a youtube video. Because nothing about what you just said is accurate to what does on in game.

There have been quite a lot of people that were fed up with WoW and tried FF14 before Asmongold tried it. There have been a few other WoW content creators that made the switch - or at least tried it out - before Asmongold. There is this guy on youtube, Bigherosixy on youtube who in one of his videos said that he knows one of the main tanks in Asmongold's guild and that Asmongold apparently already strongly considered trying it out for at least a year - though of course I don't know how accurate that is - nor does it matter.

I think actually Asmongold was to some degree influenced by the current wave of WoW content creators that began playing to actually try it out himself.

I also think that many people had reservations about it because "lol weeb game cat gurlz", but somehow find it acceptable now because if some neckbeard like Asmongold plays it it is somehow acceptable to them. Others might not have cared about the game and actually saw him play it, and thought that it actually looks pretty fun. (This is of course true for other streamers and youtubers aswell, though probably to a lesser degree).

It is, however, safe to say that Asmongold DID have a great impact on the surge of the game since he started playing. He just didn't start it, but he definitely boosted it by a lot.

Edit: I also think a big reason why Asmon in particular has such a big impact is because he was for so long so adverse to the game as a whole and even the idea of trying it out. (I mean look at his facial expression at this moment - and yes, i know he was partly just memeing, but you get the point). I'd say if someone who has been this sceptic about the game is not only trying it but actually enjoying it, people tend to give their opinion a lot of weight. No praise is more effective than the one from someone who was highly sceptical at first.
    Last edited by Sangris; 2021-07-19 at 08:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Baine is like the most unlikeable character you are supposed to like.

Quote Originally Posted by Sangris View Post
    There have been quite a lot of people that were fed up with WoW and tried FF14 before Asmongold tried it. There have been a few other WoW content creators that made the switch - or at least tried it out - before Asmongold. There is this guy on youtube, Bigherosixy on youtube who in one of his videos said that he knows one of the main tanks in Asmongold's guild and that Asmongold apparently already strongly considered trying it out for at least a year - though of course I don't know how accurate that is - nor does it matter.

I think actually Asmongold was to some degree influenced by the current wave of WoW content creators that began playing to actually try it out himself.

It is, however, safe to say that Asmongold DID have a great impact on the surge of the game since he started playing. He just didn't start it, but he definitely boosted it by a lot.
    It was almost a year ago reacting to ff14 content started become rather common on his streams i believe, in particular extremely positive ones towards ff14 and not unusually ones that painted wow in a negative light like 'why i quit wow' by zepla, which has close to a million views on his yt channel. His influence of intentionally or not hyping FF14 started all the way back then, he wasn't the first one but I believe his influence of getting ff14 interest to a bigger audience outside of it's fairly insulated playerbase before he actually started to play is heavily underestimated as people only seems to think he had an impact after he started.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    Thank you for further showing you never played the game and watched a portion of a youtube video. Because nothing about what you just said is accurate to what does on in game.
    Wow you just can't handle the truth:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comme...uest_involves/

7 years ago reddit thread, bascially i bounced off the wall that reddit thread in my post above.

Wow you just can't handle the truth:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comme...uest_involves/

7 years ago reddit thread, bascially i bounced off the wall that reddit thread in my post above.
    Posting a 7 year old reddit thread of people overexaggerating. Yeah that's totally legitimate evidence /s

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Smith View Post
    What you aren't seeing is another MMO that currently has what WoW players HAVE BEEN asking for will be sought after over the MMO who has REPEATEDLY disappointed them.

To be clear i don't think there is such thing as a general consensus in WoW's player base. If that's what you are saying. Or implying.
    So i can't really believe that the vast majority(as a whole) of players are asking for a specific thing and WoW isn't delivering it and that FF14 not only has it but it's GREAT TOO.

I believe that the average WoW playerbase doesn't know what they want. Best case scenario they know what they DON'T want PARTLY, which in turn contradicts other things they don't want partly and then it's up to the Devs to bell the cat and it's miserably laughable.
    Last edited by Unholyvamp; 2021-07-19 at 09:08 PM.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you're a casual WoW player FFXIV is a great game to bounce over to between content patches in WoW. If you're doing at least heroic raiding in WoW or you're PvPing though? FFXIV isn't going to scratch that itch.

Competition is good, but I think Blizzard is going to have more stiff competition from other MMOs than FFXIV as FFXIV basically occupies an entirely different area of MMOs than WoW does.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    If you're a casual WoW player FFXIV is a great game to bounce over to between content patches in WoW. If you're doing at least heroic raiding in WoW or you're PvPing though? FFXIV isn't going to scratch that itch.

Competition is good, but I think Blizzard is going to have more stiff competition from other MMOs than FFXIV as FFXIV basically occupies an entirely different area of MMOs than WoW does.
    if you are a heroic wow raider only savage content in ffxiv is likely too challenging for you. savage in ffxiv is mid level mythic in challenge usually, first boss maybe being entry mythic, and ultimates are likely equal to or more challenging then every single end tier mythic boss,

I get what's going on here, anyone who enters a little reality in to the koolaid, as in, tells the truth, tells it like it is, is met with savage backlash from those frightened we'll bust their little fantasy bubble, like omg i don't want the wind to change, like if another game becomes popular i'll have to go there cause i have to play what others think is most popular.
    No, the problem is you're simply straight up lying. I play FFXIV and WoW. I play WoW much more than FFXIV, so I am not biased in FFXIV's favor. I have my own laundry list of qualms with FFXIV. You are just genuinely making shit up.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    Posting a 7 year old reddit thread of people overexaggerating. Yeah that's totally legitimate evidence /s
    Yep 100% legit truth

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Neuroticaine View Post
    No, the problem is you're simply straight up lying. I play FFXIV and WoW. I play WoW much more than FFXIV, so I am not biased in FFXIV's favor. I have my own laundry list of qualms with FFXIV. You are just genuinely making shit up.
    lmao you guys are too funny

You're straight up lying to yourself if you don't think the crazy boost in popularity isn't being helped by these streamers.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    if you are a heroic wow raider only savage content in ffxiv is likely too challenging for you. savage in ffxiv is mid level mythic in challenge usually, first boss maybe being entry mythic, and ultimates are likely equal to or more challenging then every single end tier mythic boss,
    That is probably the funniest and most disingenuous take I've ever read. Can we at least keep it realistic? It's cool if you like one game over another game but you really don't have to embellish THAT much. It's okay that FFXIV has easier PvE and no real competitive PvP to speak of. That isn't the niche that the FFXIV fills in the MMO market.

That is probably the funniest and most disingenuous take I've ever read. Can we at least keep it realistic? It's cool if you like one game over another game but you really don't have to embellish THAT much. It's okay that FFXIV has easier PvE and no real competitive PvP to speak of. That isn't the niche that the FFXIV fills in the MMO market.
    nothing i said is disingenuous, stop projecting your own weird bias.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    This wave of new players started before the streamers started jumping on the bandwagon. I think it has more to do with WoW having 2 bad expansions in a row than anything else.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    nothing i said is disingenuous, stop projecting your own weird bias.
    What weird bias? I've played both games, one is clearly better for the social aspect, and one is clearly better for high end PvE and PvP. You suggesting that anything in FFXIV is equivalent to WoW's mythic raiding in terms of challenge is laughable. Square-Enix's own design philosophy works against that idea.

What weird bias? I've played both games, one is clearly better for the social aspect, and one is clearly better for high end PvE and PvP. You suggesting that anything in FFXIV is equivalent to WoW's mythic raiding in terms of challenge is laughable. Square-Enix's own design philosophy works against that idea.
    Ultimate raiding.

ffxiv savage is again, EXTREMELY comparable to wow mythic. nearly every single heroic raid boss in wow, is MUCH easier than savage in ffxiv (exceptions being 1-2 final bosses on release day only). Its not until mythic they start to compare. so link me your logs from both or stop making shit up for content you have never touched. Nearly every single player that has cleared mythic end bosses in wow AND ultimates in ffxiv rate them to be the same difficulty or harder in ffxiv favor.

you are just an oozing fan boy for wow. lmfao

So basically you've never played FFXIV and would rather call people liars instead of admit you're wrong. Gotcha.