Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Is there even ONE active Vanilla server atm?

I'm looking to experience vanilla classic on a somewhat active realm, is there one at all??
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

Probably not. I mean if you would take all people really interested in vanilla, i could see that having healthy playerbase, perhaps not big, but good enough.
    TBH I think they really crewed the server structure in classic and TBCc, Its been not even full 2 months of TBCc release and already I have trouble finding people for lvling/not hc content, and thats on big servers.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing that would attract at least part of the playerbase is a fresh server. There is no incentive whatsoever to play on old servers stuck in P6.

Quote Originally Posted by FAILoZOFF View Post
    Probably not. I mean if you would take all people really interested in vanilla, i could see that having healthy playerbase, perhaps not big, but good enough.
    TBH I think they really crewed the server structure in classic and TBCc, Its been not even full 2 months of TBCc release and already I have trouble finding people for lvling/not hc content, and thats on big servers.
    Trouble on Classic or TBCC?

The release of TBC showed that Blizzard Cant/wont develop Vanilla hence there is no reason to play it. Maybe its for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundering View Post
    The release of TBC showed that Blizzard Cant/wont develop Vanilla hence there is no reason to play it. Maybe its for the better.
    They don't need to develop for it, just consolidate servers so even a few can exist with active populations. Then again, I guess it all depends on how many people out there want that and the cost for maintaining it.

Quote Originally Posted by Necromantic View Post
    They don't need to develop for it, just consolidate servers so even a few can exist with active populations. Then again, I guess it all depends on how many people out there want that and the cost for maintaining it.
    Aside from RP servers they did massive server connections, there's basically only a 1-2 servers of each type per coast and in EU as well (aside from RP servers, which they didn't really connect to anything)

You missed the boat. Its over.

Them making it so you have to pay to copy your character (so you can keep your char in vanilla, and another in tbc) basically killed it. Id def log into vanilla from time to time to play if I still had it. But it wasn't worth the money to copy it and since I'd rather play where the population is, I transferred it to tbc.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Aside from RP servers they did massive server connections, there's basically only a 1-2 servers of each type per coast and in EU as well (aside from RP servers, which they didn't really connect to anything)
    It seems like there are more than 1-2 but before they went offline, they were all "low" population.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/game/status/us

It seems like there are more than 1-2 but before they went offline, they were all "low" population.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/game/status/us
    https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wo...-may-18/963728

Anathema, Arcanite Reaper, Bigglesworth, Blaumeux, Fairbanks, Kurinnaxx, Rattlegore, Smolderweb, Thunderfury, and Whitemane
    Arugal, Felstriker, and Yojamba
    Ashkandi, Mankrik, Pagle, Westfall, and Windseeker
    Atiesh, Azuresong, Myzrael, and Old Blanchy
    Benediction, Faerlina, Heartseeker, Incendius, and Netherwind
    Earthfury, Herod, Kirtonos, Kromcrush, Skeram, Stalagg, Sulfuras, and Thalno

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wo...-may-18/963728

Anathema, Arcanite Reaper, Bigglesworth, Blaumeux, Fairbanks, Kurinnaxx, Rattlegore, Smolderweb, Thunderfury, and Whitemane
    Arugal, Felstriker, and Yojamba
    Ashkandi, Mankrik, Pagle, Westfall, and Windseeker
    Atiesh, Azuresong, Myzrael, and Old Blanchy
    Benediction, Faerlina, Heartseeker, Incendius, and Netherwind
    Earthfury, Herod, Kirtonos, Kromcrush, Skeram, Stalagg, Sulfuras, and Thalno
    So... did they merge them or just connect them?

So... did they merge them or just connect them?
    Connect, they never merge, but it's the same thing at the end of the day, you just get to keep your name.

Connect, they never merge, but it's the same thing at the end of the day, you just get to keep your name.
    So how does that work compared to merging?

So how does that work compared to merging?
    It's basically multiple servers sharing the same world, your character still belongs to it's server, but when entering the game it goes to the host server, while your server's world is empty without anyone being able to get into (if they even keep the active anymore).
    Instead of taking the character database of a server and slapping on over another server and then flagging duplicate characters for renaming.

Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    It's basically multiple servers sharing the same world, your character still belongs to it's server, but when entering the game it goes to the host server.
    Instead of taking the character database of a server and slapping on over another server and then flagging duplicate characters for renaming.
    So I can run around Elwynn and some random guy passing me could be from another server?

It sounds like cross-realms on retail but I wanted to make sure I understood or if there are differences.

So I can run around Elwynn and some random guy passing me could be from another server?

It sounds like cross-realms on retail but I wanted to make sure I understood or if there are differences.
    It's like a permanent cross realm. Like if you see player X from realm Y today, you will also see him tomorrow and a year from now (unless he stops playing haha).

Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    It's like a permanent cross realm. Like if you see player X from realm Y today, you will also see him tomorrow and a year from now (unless he stops playing haha).
    Ah ok. Thank you!

Ah ok. Thank you!
    The biggest thing, it also merges Auction Houses and allows you to be in guilds with players from connected servers.

It almost seems like they should just merge all the east coast together and all the west coast together.

That or there just isn't enough people left over who like vanilla. However, only time will tell as TBCC hasn't been out long.