Build for gaming under 1200 euro possible?

Hello

I am looking for a new gaming build with budget of 1200 that includes window / monitor. location is Switzerland if that helps. would like for it to last for a few years but i am not hardcore gamer , thanks for any recommendations / suggestions.

Resolution and performance expectations are going to be needed to address this accurately.

1080p works , mostly is for WoW but would like it to be able to handle some of newer games .
    if 1440 is possible with this budget then even better!

Also on side note i really need a good mic (headphone) if anyone got any recommendation , thats outside pc build.

Is this an urgent need? Because if you sit on that 1200 for like 6 months you're going to get way more bang for your buck, assuming the shortages keep levelling out
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

The biggest problem is gonna be the gpu. So first thing look over markets in europe and see what budget you have left after identifying a gpu, something like a 1660s, 5600xt or maybe some sort of rtx.
    Normally for that budget a 5600x cpu is amazing as you can get it for like 400 or maybe even less (I got mine for 350). But it's all about what gpu you can find.
    You can wait but there's no gurantee that gpu prices will drop soon.

Quote Originally Posted by acegaming90 View Post
    1080p works , mostly is for WoW but would like it to be able to handle some of newer games .
    if 1440 is possible with this budget then even better!

Also on side note i really need a good mic (headphone) if anyone got any recommendation , thats outside pc build.
    What kind of GFX quality are you looking for? Medium, High, Ultra? It's important.

You need to take into consideration that going 1440p is going to cut your FPS by around 30% compared to 1080p. If you want to play 1440p144hz at high or ultra quality in games or you want a 27" or larger screen, the absolute minimum GPU to maintain that quality and refresh rate is a 3080 and a good CPU, something along the lines of Ryzen R9 5800X or R9 5900X.

If you don't want to use a high refresh rate monitor, so you're only going to be worried about maintaining 60 FPS at high/ultra, then I guess 1440p would be fine with a 3060 with DLSS or 3070.

I currently run i7-8700k and 1080 Ti at 1440p with a 32" 144 hz refresh rate monitor. This is a 4 year old GPU that cost 700$ at release for the Founders Edition version. I've paid 1000$ for mine due to retail fees and 23% EU VAT tax. It's already starting to show it's age in later games like Assassin's Creed Valhalla where at max settings I'm barely able to get 80 FPS and the smoothness of my 144 hz display suffers and it's only going to get worse, so I have to upgrade to a 3080 which will cost me somewhere around 1200$ once GPU prices go down.

With 1440p you will be needing upgrades for your PC sooner than you would with 1080p. I would also not recommend putting together a full setup right now. GPU prices are outrageous due mining, scalpers and low supply due to the corona virus. The 3080 is supposed to cost 700-800$ and right now it costs twice as much...
    Last edited by mauserr; 2021-07-22 at 06:56 PM.

by the comment above i think 1080p is the logical choice , i want this to last for a bit and not worry about upgrading so soon. would prefer to be able to play on ultra aswell. thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Is this an urgent need? Because if you sit on that 1200 for like 6 months you're going to get way more bang for your buck, assuming the shortages keep levelling out
    not 'urgent' but if theres one thats possible now then i would like to get one now , if not and prices are too high for what they usually are then i can wait couple of months.

by the comment above i think 1080p is the logical choice , i want this to last for a bit and not worry about upgrading so soon. would prefer to be able to play on ultra aswell. thanks

- - - Updated - - -

not 'urgent' but if theres one thats possible now then i would like to get one now , if not and prices are too high for what they usually are then i can wait couple of months.
    GPU prices are still nearly double MSRP in most places.

Its literally a terrible time to build. Probably one of the worst in the last 10+ years.

COULD you build a rig for 1200 Euro that plays games at 1080p well enough?

Sure. Is it going to last several years?

Nope.

Not for 1200.

And its half the performance 1200 would have got you this time last year.

Wait if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    GPU prices are still nearly double MSRP in most places.

Its literally a terrible time to build. Probably one of the worst in the last 10+ years.

COULD you build a rig for 1200 Euro that plays games at 1080p well enough?

Sure. Is it going to last several years?

Nope.

Not for 1200.

And its half the performance 1200 would have got you this time last year.

Wait if you can.
    OP is better off buying a pre-build with the latest GPU or wait a year instead of paying double the price for a old low tier GPU.
    Pre-build is a bit above budget probably but at least you aren't spending your full/half your budget on the GPU. Also supplies have been increasing a bit so hopefully another year or so before @@@ turns back to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    OP is better off buying a pre-build with the latest GPU or wait a year instead of paying double the price for a old low tier GPU.
    Pre-build is a bit above budget probably but at least you aren't spending your full/half your budget on the GPU. Also supplies have been increasing a bit so hopefully another year or so before @@@ turns back to normal.
    Remember the OP is from Europe. The Prebuild situation there isnt always any better because VAT can pile up murderously fast and make it non-viable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Remember the OP is from Europe. The Prebuild situation there isnt always any better because VAT can pile up murderously fast and make it non-viable.
    Well I'm from Europe and I can find pre-builds with 3060 for 1500 euro right now and a 3060(TI) in the Netherlands cost 650-700 euro's.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Well I'm from Europe and I can find pre-builds with 3060 for 1500 euro right now and a 3060(TI) in the Netherlands cost 650-700 euro's.
    And the rest of the parts dont add up to another 800 euro. The prebuild is still overcharging for the gpu.

Ex:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://nl.pcpartpicker.com/list/nxr3PV

CPU: Intel Core i5-11600K 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor (€259.89 @ Amazon Netherlands)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (€39.90 @ CD-ROM-LAND)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX LGA1200 Motherboard (€143.00 @ Amazon Netherlands)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (€98.85 @ Azerty)
    Storage: Western Digital Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (€99.00 @ Amazon Netherlands)
    Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case (€49.99 @ Amazon Netherlands)
    Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€94.95 @ Megekko)
    Total: €785.58
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-08-04 08:18 CEST+0200
    Thats the rest of the rig, including VAT, if you built it yourself.

So, if that Premade youre talking about is 1500$, they are charging you 700 for the GPU.... just like you bought it at the inflated non MSRP price yourself. You aren't saving a penny.

They are overcharging for GPUs on prebuilts here in the US as well, just not that much. NZXT seems to be about 25% over MSRP, as opposed to the double the MSRP youd pay on the grey market.

Most stores are selling at MSRP or close to it, for the extremely limited stock they get each week. Best Buy is selling at MSRP, for instance. But most stores are lucky to get ~20 cards of each type (3080, 3070, etc) per week, and they aren't all the same SKU.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2021-08-04 at 06:21 AM.

hey guys sorry for taking so long to get back, i have been having health issues and couldn't get back any sooner. i really can't go above 1200 euro right now and thats with monitor / keyboard etc . if price are really too high right now and will go down later i am willing to wait.

Also bit off topic but anyone can explain in laments term what is difference in air purifier and humidifier and if there is 2 in 1 version of one i could get ? or which one would benefit more and any recommendations ?

Can build a decent rig, but with budget GPU for that price. If you game 1080p and reasonable about settings - you can practically use almost any GPU nowadays, except for complete entry level ones.

What you should do instead of just blank asking - contact a few trusted computer chains in your location and ask them to send you offers for your budget and targets. Tell them that you want a stronger CPU/RAM and SSD and weaker GPU that is enough for 1080p.

Then post these here, so we can look at it and work from there.

The idea is that you can make a decent core build + budget GPU that's enough for 1080p and then upgrade GPU in a year or so if hopefully prices get a bit less insane by then.

For some GPU shootout - this one is not bad article: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...gpus,4380.html

Practically your best shot would be 6600XT or 1660 Super -OR- there are still 2060s that retailers are dying to be rid of so they sell them for 1660 super prices, but these are better cards. Failing that something like 1650 can make do, but don't expect anything more than basic 1080p with medium settings from that one.
    Last edited by Raizz; 2021-08-14 at 11:02 AM.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Also bit off topic but anyone can explain in laments term what is difference in air purifier and humidifier and if there is 2 in 1 version of one i could get ? or which one would benefit more and any recommendations ?
    Humidifiers add moisture to the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Humidifiers add moisture to the air.
    And yes, you can get purifiers that are also humidifiers.

I am in Switzerland too and just helped my brothers find something.

Given the whole GPU situation, I'd say your best bet would be to go for a prebuilt. In the 1200-1400 CHF range I've found decent configurations in stock, mainly Medion ones, with at least a RTX 3060. There's also some with RTX 3070 under the 1700 CHF mark.

You can find a 24' FHD screen for as low as 100CHF, a 27' starting at the 125CHF range, 29' 1080p ultrawides at 190CHF. 1440p currently starts at 210CHF. Sometimes Amazon.de or .fr prices for monitors can be interesting (they very conveniently handle the whole custom thing, and with our lower VAT cancelling the exchange rate, it will roughly cost you in CHF was is marked in EUR).

1200+100CHF would match your 1200EUR budget. For 1229 you can get Medion Engineer Erazer P10 with i5-11400F, 16GB RAM, 1To SSD, RTX 3060 Ti, Windows and maybe even a mouse and keyboard. Some other sellers have on back order a lower config with non Ti and smaller SSD for 1099CHF if price is a big constraint.

In the end my brother settled for a laptop as he needed one for studies. During the back to school period there were some with RTX 3060 for as low as 1100CHF, and best value I saw was Lenovo Legion 5 Pro with 16' 2560x1600 G-sync screen, Ryzen 7, 16GB RAM, 1To SSD, RTX 3070, Windows, for 1450CHF. I almost bought one myself despite not needing one, and when he made up his mind they were gone but he got the 17' non Pro version with a 17' FHD lesser screen, the rest being identical, still very good value.
    Last edited by Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang; 2021-09-17 at 07:36 AM.
    "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"