What is the origin of the warlock class?

I can't seem to find it in any of the older DND manuals.

10+ Year Old Account
    It’s based off of the original warlocks from the original Warcraft game as far as I know. Where they’re based off of is the common use of the word “warlock” to refer to a male practitioner of magical arts.

In earlier D&D a warlock would just be a wizard or arguably a cleric serving a dark master.

From 3.5 on there has been a Warlock class, but it shares little with the WoW equivalent other than 'guy who wields dark magic'. It has a particular fondness for a spell called "Eldritch Blast" and usually involves having a pact with a patron from which you get your spells. Oh and it has curses to.

These 'evil wizards' made their way into WC1 and built their own identity from there.
    Last edited by Myradin; 2021-07-21 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    It’s based off of the original warlocks from the original Warcraft game as far as I know. Where they’re based off of is the common use of the word “warlock” to refer to a male practitioner of magical arts.
    Yep, in Warcraft 2 Horde had warlocks and Alliance had mages. Acid Rain vs Blizzard.
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    My opinion is a fact.
    Having opinions are F A C T S.
    Stating you do not agree with my world has no impact on mine.
    It is not the same as talking about math either.
    This is talking about MY perception and so to me it is A fact.

Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/warlock

Warlocks are "truce-breakers" - so people are happy with their peaceful lives, and a "liar to war", "speaker to war", or "spell-caster to war" brings war and destruction, probably for personal ends. So we can consider a warlock a political version of a wizard - wizards are associated with removal from politics, sitting in their towers away from population centers, hoping to be left alone to their studies, while warlocks exploit humanity for their own ends.

10+ Year Old Account
    Warlocks were where you would vigorously pump your hog and get spells in exchange
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

Bloodsail Admiral DrIvoRobotnik's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    After many years of playing a warlock, and reading many quest texts, my general assessment is this: A maverick mage that makes deals with with demonic and void beings for mutual benefit. Orc warlocks learned such magics directly from demons when they worked on behalf of the Burning Legion,(I can't remember of this next part was retcon'd or not) in turn, human mages then studied the Orcish warlock magics so that they may better understand them and counter them. (Obviously some decided to use them for their own means.)

7+ Year Old Account
    a mage looked at the succubus and knew what had to be done

5+ Year Old Account
    In WoW? A warlock is just someone who uses Fel Magic.

The oldest Warlocks are the demons themselves. The spellcasting ones.
    Last edited by enigma77; 2022-06-29 at 06:05 AM.

In wow lore..... warlocks are old shamans, that got turned by Gul'dan and fel magic, i guess i should add, that's how orcs got warlocks
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Supernova: Cause a pulse of Arcane energy around the target enemy or ally, dealing Arcane damage to all enemies within 8 yards, and knocking them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Myradin View Post
    In earlier D&D a warlock would just be a wizard or arguably a cleric serving a dark master.

From 3.5 on there has been a Warlock class, but it shares little with the WoW equivalent other than 'guy who wields dark magic'. It has a particular fondness for a spell called "Eldritch Blast" and usually involves having a pact with a patron from which you get your spells. Oh and it has curses to.

These 'evil wizards' made their way into WC1 and built their own identity from there.
    It's true that wow warlock (the mmo one) evolved differently from the 3.5 DND warlock but i think they still used it as inspiration.
    They changed it at launch but normally warlock wore leather instead of cloth (you can check that if you still have the old manual from wow vanilla) like how DND warlock wore light armor instead of just cloth, theoretically they both have unlimited ressource : DND warlock could use eldritch blast with no limit and Wow warlock had life tap, they both are more tough physically and can regenerate their wounds because of the demonic/fel energy in their body and i think (not sure on this one) that metamorphosis was given to wow demo warlock because DND warlock were able to transform themselves into demon at high level.

sometimes warlock is used as the male equivalent term to witches, referring mainly to the dark magic side of those two, it was used like that in vampire diaries as well, but generally warlock is a mage that practices demonic magic and summons demons

Quote Originally Posted by Wyshbonez View Post
    In wow lore..... warlocks are old shamans, that got turned by Gul'dan and fel magic, i guess i should add, that's how orcs got warlocks
    Don't think they went into fel magic but abandoned nature way they went and went for Shadow magic.

5+ Year Old Account

That no one remembers most famous Warlock of all times.