Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    And they’re still in the gold medal game even with the sloppy team.
    Exactly...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Exactly...
    and we won. hah

10+ Year Old Account
    Olympic boxing: jab, jab, jab, clinge. Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    cmon the Klitschko's dominated boxing doing that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    cmon the Klitschko's dominated boxing doing that.
    And that wasn't the most exciting era of boxing.

Sifan Hassan really is extraordinary. First woman to combine the 1500, 5k and 10k on one Olympics.
    And now she won three medals, bronze at the 1500 and gold on both 5 and 10k.

- - - Updated - - -

Women's 5k; Gold for the Netherlands, silver for Bahrain and bronze for Ethiopia. All 3 were born in Ethiopia.

So first there was that German cycling coach who got banned for yelling racist slurs. Now a German modern pentathlon coach has been banned for punching a horse because it wouldn't jump during one of the events.

Is it really that hard not to be a racist or animal-abusing asshole?
    “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” -- Donald J. Trump, 2013

"I don't take responsibility at all."
    -- Donald J. Trump, 2020

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    See the guy who was winning all three rounds and then got stopped? Still feel it was an early stop from the ref, didn't even give him the standing 8 count to be steady on his feet again.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    7th on the medal table, above countries like France, Italy and Germany with a record total of 36. Never ended this high up.

I hope NBC has better coverage next time. I felt like they showed Swimming, Diving, Gymnastics, Volleyball, and Track and Field Running way more than any other event.

Don’t worry. USA took both the most medals and the most golds.
    the way Americans advertised it, you'd think they'd been number 1 every single day lol

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    We only care about golds. China #1 baby
    This aged badly. All that doping and it only got you #2
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    This aged badly. All that doping and it only got you #2
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Shan View Post
    glad china didnt get the most golds with how they 'motivate' their athletes, proving that isn't a good way to win and proper to emulate.
    Never though i'd see people get so salty over China getting the 2nd most golds.

2008 must have been a horrible year.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    I hope NBC has better coverage next time. I felt like they showed Swimming, Diving, Gymnastics, Volleyball, and Track and Field Running way more than any other event.
    Any countries network will always prioritize the events its best at.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Shan View Post
    I'm just not a fan of the pressure they put their athletes under, it turns it from a passion to a patriotic duty, and if you fail at it, your countrymen are going to string you up.
    I very much doubt it, and a lot of countries have people shitting on 'losers'(Simone Biles come to mind), just shitty Olympic things.

Pretty good Olympics for Australia - finished 6th overall, with our equal highest gold medal haul, though not our highest total medal haul. Coming in ahead of much larger countries like France and Germany was well done. A shout out to our Kiwi cousins who did get their highest ever medal haul.

The per capita medals is an interesting look. #1 in the world, with its 3 medals, is San Marino. Not surprisingly a lot of Caribbean countries are right at the top, as well as New Zealand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Pretty good Olympics for Australia - finished 6th overall, with our equal highest gold medal haul, though not our highest total medal haul. Coming in ahead of much larger countries like France and Germany was well done. A shout out to our Kiwi cousins who did get their highest ever medal haul.

The per capita medals is an interesting look. #1 in the world, with its 3 medals, is San Marino. Not surprisingly a lot of Caribbean countries are right at the top, as well as New Zealand.
    Australia ran us and the ROC hard for medal standings for the longest time.

Britain was a bit hit and miss, we can look back on a lot of missed medals, some defending titles that went through injury, circumstance or just poor performance. But at the same time we won some contests we weren't expected to and pulled off some of the highlights of the games.

Jason Kenny's win in the men's Keirin on the last day will be debated for years in cycling.

Anyway, I have slacked on front page updates and I am well aware. I'll aim to do it little and often over the next week.

Also this is my third olympics as a sports mod, and quite probably my last. Thank you all for keeping this thread generally in the positive and friendly spirit of the games themselves, and on to Paris in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Australia ran us and the ROC hard for medal standings for the longest time.

Britain was a bit hit and miss, we can look back on a lot of missed medals, some defending titles that went through injury, circumstance or just poor performance. But at the same time we won some contests we weren't expected to and pulled off some of the highlights of the games.

Jason Kenny's win in the men's Keirin on the last day will be debated for years in cycling.

Anyway, I have slacked on front page updates and I am well aware. I'll aim to do it little and often over the next week.

Also this is my third olympics as a sports mod, and quite probably my last. Thank you all for keeping this thread generally in the positive and friendly spirit of the games themselves, and on to Paris in 2024!
    We have to deal with 2022 Winter Olympic in Beijing first. Less than 6 months away. I am rather looking forward to China national ice hockey team. I heard they imported a lot of Eastern European players for a LOT of money.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    I have lived in a couple countries. I find usually the events the country your in has high odds at medals, golds in particular, is that will be on TV most the time. Like, I doubt China was heavily focused on basketball airing in thier coverage. Pretty much everything you named there is at the core of the USA medal count. So yeah, NBC funneled views there. Advertisers probably like their products and endousment being show on winning too.

NBC had every single event live streamed through the nbc sports app. They even had feeds with no commentary showing simultaneous action. Like gymnastics where I had each apparatus in its own box, or the decathlon where they were doing the same. I was also able to rewatch events after they concluded.
    Yeah I just had to watch them on YouTube. Would have been nice to see them on the tv though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    I have lived in a couple countries. I find usually the events the country your in has high odds at medals, golds in particular, is that will be on TV most the time. Like, I doubt China was heavily focused on basketball airing in thier coverage. Pretty much everything you named there is at the core of the USA medal count. So yeah, NBC funneled views there. Advertisers probably like their products and endousment being show on winning too.
    Yeah. Definitely

I have no idea whether this dude knocked over all these water bottles on purpose or not, but either way, he is my hero. He may have finished 17th, but he gets the gold medal in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    We have to deal with 2022 Winter Olympic in Beijing first. Less than 6 months away. I am rather looking forward to China national ice hockey team. I heard they imported a lot of Eastern European players for a LOT of money.
    I don’t know why they would need to do though. They have 1+ billion people. I feel like they could find or train some half decent players out of that field.