Poll: Time skip or remake?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    If the new article about what happened to WC3R is true.
    just looking at WC3R makes that case lol. can't spend money to develop things, need to stuff Bobby Kotick's pockets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I don't believe that either a remake nor a time skip is the correct answer.

WoW's lore for better or worse tends to center around stories involving specific characters, Thrall, Jaina, Anduin...each has had a very specific spot in the Warcraft lore throughout the history of the game. We also have plenty of other unresolved character stories from people not in the Shadowlands with us, such as Genn, Voss, & Thalryssa. Doing a long term time skip would skip over many of these stories and leave us with not much to replace them with. How great was Moira's reign in Ironforge & the Dark Irons being freely amongst the Alliance when we go 200 years in the future & even Moira's son has long since passed? It could perhaps work better with a short term time skip (say 5 years), but even then you are kind of handwaving away a lot of the progress people would like to see simply to rush to the next chaotic event.

With that in mind, a reality remake could be even worse. Imagine now that not only are the character stories gone, but most of the world we know of as well. Stormwind & Orgrimmar, gone. All of our experience thus far, washed away like a dream that only we remember. Gilneas would likely not be remade as it might never have existed. Even if the lore was set up so that it was remade to mostly match what we have (with slight alterations like Teldrassil coming back), it would feel like a wrongly forced story element as opposed to an actual new world or updated Azeroth.

If anything, I feel we'd be better served to have a rebuilding expansion for some of these concerns. Take down the threat levels a bit, have us deal with chaotic problems at home & perhaps resolve some of these long hanging threads rather than letting them languish while focusing on the next great evil.

Azeroth will be restored from the cataclysm, the world is no longer on fire, everything back to 'normal' .Cataclysm has left its now healed scars. But oh no what is this, the jailer/bronze dragon flight/void lords are attacking the fabric of reality! Time gets fractured and the entire expansion will be fought through the invasion model. An invasion is an attack on a zone's timeline, taking it back into history or further into the future.

Invasions will happen at different windows There will be weekly invasions, there will be daily invasions and invasions happening every couple of hours. This won't stop, the time has scattered. The players can close the rift and turn things back to normal, but they will never be able to stop the rifts from opening.

From here on out, Blizzard will keep adding new content in the form of new invasions. Kalimdor and Azeroth will be the first expansion, there will be patches taking it into Northrend and Pandaria, Kul'tiras and Zalandar, but also the Outlands, Draenor and Argus will get a time rift.

Players trying to level in a zone will be caught in the rift as well, luckily Chromie is there to give them a way to participate or take them to a safer, unaffected zone to continue their levelling.

Instances will be affected if they're part of the zone under invasions. Mobs and bosses will change and their difficulty and rewards could depend on the progress of the invasion.

There will be covenants albeit with a different name. Only this time they will be competing. The convenant that put the most (population corrected) effort into countering an invasion will get to unique world quests in the zone they fought for.
    Last edited by Ivarr; 2021-07-22 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    like i said, the gap is too small for people to recover after 3 world ending threads that quickly.

we need generations, enough for them to reproduce and arise. Otherwise will feels forced like we have now
    I don't think so. There was only a few years between WC3 and WoW vanilla. Societies can recover fast. 20-30 years is a long time.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EntertainmentNihilist View Post
    I don't think so. There was only a few years between WC3 and WoW vanilla. Societies can recover fast. 20-30 years is a long time.
    wc3 to vanila made sense.

Right now everything is saturated, societies can't recover that quickly after 3 world ending threats and a faction war, alliance was even sending farmers next.

We also need more time not just for the societies to recover, but other plots and enemies to appear, old character die and new ones to get the spotlight, we need that the current conflicts, problems and bickering to be complete forgotten, or just barely remembered, for new ones to rise

Quote Originally Posted by Skirdus View Post
    No one ever complained about Metzen's work to this extent and you're lying to yourself if you think otherwise
    Not sure what your comment has to do with mine as that's exactly the point. Metzen was just as bad if not worse and hence supports my point that people are only saying it to act like their funny/cool.

wc3 to vanila made sense.

Right now everything is saturated, societies can't recover that quickly after 3 world ending threats and a faction war, alliance was even sending farmers next.

We also need more time not just for the societies to recover, but other plots and enemies to appear, old character die and new ones to get the spotlight, we need that the current conflicts, problems and bickering to be complete forgotten, or just barely remembered, for new ones to rise
    I don't think you understand how long ***20-30 years*** actually is. That's a *generation*. A lot can happen in that time. Especially in a world with magic.

That's enough time for entire new cities to be built, existing ones to be rebuilt, significant cultural change to happen, and for new organizations and such to emerge. It's *plenty* of time.

*And* unlike going hundreds of years into the future, it doesn't require that existing characters and their kids die of old age. We can have their kids grow to be 20-30ish years old, giving a new generation of characters, and still keep the old characters around as mentor figures.

Timeskip back to 2006, IRL. Or just 1996 when gaming wasn't pozzed.

Did people really forget the comic #4 Son of the wolf?

Last edited by Kauko; 2021-07-23 at 07:32 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't think you understand how long ***20-30 years*** actually is. That's a *generation*. A lot can happen in that time. Especially in a world with magic.
    that is not a generation, taking account how many races live thousand of years.

A lot can happen, but if there is no way to happen, it can't.

How some kingdoms and enemies arise from the factions, and in the world, if the world is chocked and strained? it take time for those things to happen, in a mere 20 years is not enough

That's enough time for entire new cities to be built, existing ones to be rebuilt, significant cultural change to happen, and for new organizations and such to emerge. It's *plenty* of time.
    that is not, not with enough substance without being extremely forced

*And* unlike going hundreds of years into the future, it doesn't require that existing characters and their kids die of old age. We can have their kids grow to be 20-30ish years old, giving a new generation of characters, and still keep the old characters around as mentor figures.
    Again, it will be forced, you are also ignoring how little things chance in those years and how races live more than a thousand and don't have kids often.

We need new plots, with just 20-30 we will still be influenced by what happened in bfa and legion and before.

and nobody want the shit character to be around but now old

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kauko View Post
    Did people really forget the comic #4 Son of the wolf?
    did you forgot how they said this is not canon and just one of the countless possible futures?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    You log in and find yourself seated and bound on the back of a horse-drawn cart. Then you hear a gnome's voice: "Hey, you. You’re finally awake. You were trying to cross the border, right? Walked right into that gnoll ambush, same as us, and that rogue over there."
    Seems legid and absolutely totally new like every studd blizzard make: hopefully you don't get shot with an arrow in the knee!

The entire WoW timeline is less than 10 years, though. Expansions are shorter in-story than in the real world. Somebody born in-universe at the time WoW started isn't even a teenager yet.

- - - Updated - - -

did you forgot how they said this is not canon and just one of the countless possible futures?
    We are on the good way that this will actually happen. Throne room is in Exodar which means something big happened in SW with Turalyon in charge, Anduins hairs are white, maybe not from old age but from the current events...

I am 100% in favor of a time skip. Here's what I said in another post before:

A 2-year expansion in the Shadowlands could have easily advanced the real world any number of years if they so chose. I think even something as little as 200 years would have been ideal. Azeroth would feel different, but not so alien we didn't recognize it. Those of us that went to the Maw / Shadowlands, which was actually very few people lore wise (Us - the player, Jaina, Anduin, Thrall, Baine, Tyrande, Shandris Feathermoon, Taelia Fordragon, Darion Mograine and about 3 dozen Ebon Blade members.) wouldn't really matter to Azeroth still turning and having to go on.

The races of Azeroth would have plenty to do in the time we, the player, and the several leaders of the factions were away. The story has so much room to advance now.
    - What do the humans do without Anduin and with no heir to take over for him?
    - Jaina was the new leader of the Kul Tirans, but as she's gone would her mom retake the leadership?
    - The Horde had just started a collective group leadership instead of having a Warchief. Without Thrall and Baine there, who represents the Orcs / Tauren and does that tentative group even hold together?
    - Without Tyrande to lead them, does Malfurion take over as the leader of the Night Elves? What do they do now that Teldrassil is gone?
    - What do the Undead do without a real leader to recover over the years?
    - Do Lilian Voss, Calia Menethil, and Derek Proudmoore help fill those leadership roles? Do their lives help them bridge the gaps between the Undead and other races like Humans and Kul Tirans?

About half of the WoW races have sub 200 year life cycles. What will we come back to? There's the potential for so many new characters and leaders.
    In those years, what has changed? Which alliances were formed? Which ones collapsed?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauko View Post
    We are on the good way that this will actually happen. Throne room is in Exodar which means something big happened in SW with Turalyon in charge, Anduins hairs are white, maybe not from old age but from the current events...
    nah, isn't going to happen, they can barely keep with the canon from previous expansions/books, let alone a comic

5+ Year Old Account
    nah, isn't going to happen, they can barely keep with the canon from previous expansions/books, let alone a comic
    They will if it is about Andie boi, it's practically the only character in WoW that stays consistant with itself. Which isn't really surprising considering how they write the world around Anduin instead of the opposite.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    Not sure what your comment has to do with mine as that's exactly the point. Metzen was just as bad if not worse and hence supports my point that people are only saying it to act like their funny/cool.
    In my opinion Metzen wasn't a better writer but a better story teller. We knew about the legion since the WC2 add-on, got fleshed out a lot in WC3, some hints in classic, lot of new lore in bc and some hints in wotlk. We got this big looming threat that was built up over years of which we knew its intentions and reasonings. The new team is better in writing but lacks direction. Here and there are hints that aren't picked up upon and shadowlands is worst we got so far. We still don't know what the big plan of the jailer is or why he was exiled to the maw. We still got no reason to care for anything happening in the story other than people saying we have to stop the jailer because bad things will happen if we don't.

Quote Originally Posted by lordjust View Post
    In my opinion Metzen wasn't a better writer but a better story teller. We knew about the legion since the WC2 add-on, got fleshed out a lot in WC3, some hints in classic, lot of new lore in bc and some hints in wotlk. We got this big looming threat that was built up over years of which we knew its intentions and reasonings. The new team is better in writing but lacks direction. Here and there are hints that aren't picked up upon and shadowlands is worst we got so far. We still don't know what the big plan of the jailer is or why he was exiled to the maw. We still got no reason to care for anything happening in the story other than people saying we have to stop the jailer because bad things will happen if we don't.
    And Metzen wasn't kept where he needed to be. Sure I'll give that he's a decent bigger picture person, but then the actual execution of said picture he's an absolute nightmare and then his ego got the better of him when it came to Blizzcon and Twitter and the stuff he spewed showed he had absolutely no idea what was going on in his own lore.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400 View Post
    I am 100% in favor of a time skip. Here's what I said in another post before:
    Except it's canon that we're coming and going so the whole time skip thing would have to be event based, not "being in shadowlands" based. Then again somehow time flows differently in the TN and yet 3 order halls were in it and we entered it several times without a time skip. But hey the lore today is so bad versus in the past.....

Time skip would ONLY make sense if we would get WarCraft IV
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Men are NOT suffering societal hardships due to being male. That doesn't exist in most 1st world countries.

The Patient
    5+ Year Old Account
    Just take this dumpster fire that has rolled into a dead end alley and forget about it. Try going back in time to a BC era and forget about the Legion and Outlands. Let's all go hunt for The King of Stormwind. Ally kids want their parent figure back and the Horde want a bargaining chip to give up Ashenvale. We could all go sleuth story with big bads along the way and have a world first race with Varian held prisoner by the last boss. Winner side gets Varian. I really don't care about saving the freaking Universe for the umpteenth time. Just let me go romp around the old maps, beating information out of bad guys, and getting to Varian first. Time skip for me!