Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Looking to Upgrade to AMD 2021 Build help?

So my PC was mid-high range back when I built it back in 2015 but now I'm looking to start from scratch with a new mid-range build.

My current Build:
    - Intel Core i7-6800K Broadwell-E 6-Core 3.4 GHz
    - Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB)
    - ASUS LGA2011-v3
    - RTX 2070 Super
    - NZXT H440 Razer Steel Mid Tower Case

I don't know much about AMD but I hear they have top of the line processors right now and I think I'd like to build something with the 5800x CPU. I'm probably going to stick with my current GPU for now until I can find a 3080 at MSRP, but if anyone could build me a system around this with a budget of $1500 I'd greatly appreciate it. My goal is to be able to run AND stream, upcoming games like Diablo 4 and Halo Infinite just to give you an idea of what I'm going to do with my system. I also sometimes do light video encoding work with Sony Vegas.

You can use Newegg or PCPartsPicker.
    Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Please put a Windows11 compatible Mobo in there for me
    Last edited by LCDArcade; 2021-07-22 at 03:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    A few questions:

- What are the RAM specs? Is it slower than 3200Mhz?
    - What PSU do you have?
    - Do you want a new case? The H440 still looks serviceable although a bit dated. Mostly I don't like how blocked the intake/exhaust vents are.
    - Is the 3080 supposed to be included in the $1500 budget?

If your RAM, PSU, and case can be reused, then you really only need a new CPU, CPU cooler, and motherboard. Add in a NVME SSD if you don't already have that.

Something like a Ryzen 5900X, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360, and one of the new X570S motherboards would be a great upgrade. Only a few of the more expensive X570S motherboard are currently in store pretty much anywhere, they are very recently released. So you might have to wait maybe up to a few weeks for those.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, AMD is better then Intel in today reviews. But the new Intel Alder lake seems to be a real bad ass CPU. You might want to delay your new build until these CPU's come out next January/Frebruary.

I actually think now is a great time to purchase AMD products. I didn't have an issue walking into my local Best Buy and picking up a 5800x with an x570 motherboard all at MSRP. I think you'll continuously hear that you should wait, but with the way availability has been I'm not confident you won't run into a similar issue when the new stuff supposedly arrives.

AMD.com constantly has CPUs available as does more than likely your local retailer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    Yes, AMD is better then Intel in today reviews. But the new Intel Alder lake seems to be a real bad ass CPU. You might want to delay your new build until these CPU's come out next January/Frebruary.
    That's a really long time to wait though.

The only ever time I advise someone to wait is max 1 month, 6 month to a year is just stupid, by that time AMD will likely have a refresh, are you gonna repeat this again to wait?

No, just no.

Hardware is really good right now CPU wise, OP you have a choice between 5800X or 5900X, if you go 5900X, you must get one of the better CPU coolers for it, the chip is 12 cores and with the right PBO curve optimiser, its high clock speeds, its a high performer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoriangun View Post
    Hardware is really good right now CPU wise, OP you have a choice between 5800X or 5900X, if you go 5900X, you must get one of the better CPU coolers for it, the chip is 12 cores and with the right PBO curve optimiser, its high clock speeds, its a high performer.
    The difference in power draw between the 5800X and 5900X is very minimal despite the 5900X having 4 more cores. Generally both will peak at ~140W unless you start tinkering with PBO and/or overclocking.
    However, due to the design differences (5800X = 1 die, 5900X = 2 dies), the 5800X actually has more thermal density and runs warmer and is more difficult to cool. A 5900X can spread out the heat better.

With PBO maxed out, the 5900X can hit peaks of slightly above 200W and the 5800X about 190W or so, doesn't really matter what conventional cooler you use for that though as neither chip can sustain that without throttling within milliseconds/seconds. The heat simply can't be moved fast enough from the die(s) to the cooler, so you need sub-ambient (basically LN2) cooling to sustain that.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    That's a really long time to wait though.
    Not really, considering that itll be that long to get a decent price on a GPU.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoriangun View Post
    The only ever time I advise someone to wait is max 1 month, 6 month to a year is just stupid, by that time AMD will likely have a refresh, are you gonna repeat this again to wait?
    That depends if you building a rig for just 2 years or if you want it to last a little longer. The OP seems to be the guy that builds its rigs to last.

I would wait for the official reviews of the Alder Lake, if i wanted a system to last a little longer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Not really, considering that itll be that long to get a decent price on a GPU.
    Considering he can probably keep using the 2070 super just fine, it is.

That depends if you building a rig for just 2 years or if you want it to last a little longer. The OP seems to be the guy that builds its rigs to last.

I would wait for the official reviews of the Alder Lake, if i wanted a system to last a little longer.
    Would you care to tell us how a higher performance 12core-24 thread cpu is only just for 2 years?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    The difference in power draw between the 5800X and 5900X is very minimal despite the 5900X having 4 more cores. Generally both will peak at ~140W unless you start tinkering with PBO and/or overclocking.
    However, due to the design differences (5800X = 1 die, 5900X = 2 dies), the 5800X actually has more thermal density and runs warmer and is more difficult to cool. A 5900X can spread out the heat better.

With PBO maxed out, the 5900X can hit peaks of slightly above 200W and the 5800X about 190W or so, doesn't really matter what conventional cooler you use for that though as neither chip can sustain that without throttling within milliseconds/seconds. The heat simply can't be moved fast enough from the die(s) to the cooler, so you need sub-ambient (basically LN2) cooling to sustain that.
    Ah yes, I can defo attest to that, I had to move to a EK 360 AIO in order to keep things under control a lot more, the whole 360 rad is warm to the touch with the 5900X.

Then again we are probably seeing Zen3D around the same time. And Zen 4 isn't far behind either. CPU market isn't what was from Sandy Bridge to Kaby Lake. Every year or two we are getting massive upgrades. So you're ending up waiting for years if you just want to see what's behind the corner. And the funny thing is even Zen 2 is enough to run modern games at amazing FPS levels. Like does really matter that a game can run at 300 fps instead of 200 fps for most of us. No, it does not.

Ok here is the build. Let me know if there are any decent changes I should make on quality/price/performance before I pull the trigger.
    Didn't include a GPU since I'll be keeping my 2070 for now.

https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/l...?ref_=wl_share

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Then again we are probably seeing Zen3D around the same time.
    Uhh.. no. Slated for late 2023.

And Zen 4 isn't far behind either.
    A year to 18 months after Zen3+ (“3D”). So early 2025, late 2024 at the earliest.

CPU market isn't what was from Sandy Bridge to Kaby Lake. Every year or two we are getting massive upgrades.
    Upgrades? Sure. “massive Upgrades”? No. And largely “pointless upgrades” from a gaming perspective. When a Zen 1 chip can still produce well over 100fps in AAA games, /shrug. If you do OTHER stuff, sure, it matters a great deal more.

So you're ending up waiting for years if you just want to see what's behind the corner. And the funny thing is even Zen 2 is enough to run modern games at amazing FPS levels. Like does really matter that a game can run at 300 fps instead of 200 fps for most of us. No, it does not.
    Well here we definitely agree.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by itzLCD View Post
    Ok here is the build. Let me know if there are any decent changes I should make on quality/price/performance before I pull the trigger.
    Didn't include a GPU since I'll be keeping my 2070 for now.

https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/l...?ref_=wl_share
    Seems like a lot of outlay for not a ton of performance gain. That 6800K isnt exactly a slouch. Also, DDR4 4000 seems a tad overkill. Unless its very close in price to a 3600 C16 kit, youre spending more for almost no gain.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2021-07-28 at 09:15 AM.

A year to 18 months after Zen3+ (“3D”). So early 2025, late 2024 at the earliest.
    Uhh.. no. Zen 4 should launch in late 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Uhh.. no. Zen 4 should launch in late 2022.
    Uhhh... no.

Zen 3+/Zen3D or whatever you want to call it isnt slated to release any earlier than Q1 next year, probably Q2. Ten seconds on google will tell you that.

So, your theory is that theyre going to push out a new product that itself brings a decent performance uplift...

And then replace it 5 months later?

Ill take “things that aren’t going to happen” for 2000 Alex.

You wont see Zen 4 except perhaps in laptop parts until mid 2023, absolute earliest.

And thats if they can actually produce them in volume before then, which is highly unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by itzLCD View Post
    So my PC was mid-high range back when I built it back in 2015 but now I'm looking to start from scratch with a new mid-range build.

My current Build:
    - Intel Core i7-6800K Broadwell-E 6-Core 3.4 GHz
    - Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB)
    - ASUS LGA2011-v3
    - RTX 2070 Super
    - NZXT H440 Razer Steel Mid Tower Case

I don't know much about AMD but I hear they have top of the line processors right now and I think I'd like to build something with the 5800x CPU. I'm probably going to stick with my current GPU for now until I can find a 3080 at MSRP, but if anyone could build me a system around this with a budget of $1500 I'd greatly appreciate it. My goal is to be able to run AND stream, upcoming games like Diablo 4 and Halo Infinite just to give you an idea of what I'm going to do with my system. I also sometimes do light video encoding work with Sony Vegas.

You can use Newegg or PCPartsPicker.
    Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Please put a Windows11 compatible Mobo in there for me
    I wouldn't do ANYTHING on AMD until their new stuff is out later this year. AMD is changing the socket style on the CPU so anything you buy now will NOT work. The last thing you want to do is paint yourself into a corer. Once the new AMD CPU comes out that first board will alot you a few CPU upgrades down the road if you decide you want to do that. The other positive this has is if you STILL want to use the 5000 series all of that stuff will drop quite a bit in price.

I am a video editor and photographer and my main rig is an I9-10850k with a 3080, my 2nd rig is a Ryzen 3800x with a 3080. Gaming wise my intel performs much better. WoW specifically for some reason still has weird micro stutters from time to time on the Ryzen platform, all 3 Ryzen machines in our house have the same issue, 5000 series AMD may have solved this problem. Workflow wise my AMD does better on certain things but its hard to overcome the 2 extra cores of the i9 sometimes. You cant really go wrong with either platform right now to be honest.

As far as the 3080 you are not going to find one at MSRP, the only model that has stayed at MSRP is the founders and I don't think NVIDIA is even making any more of those, all of the rest of them have jumped to the new retail cost of W/e Best Buy is selling them for.
    Last edited by Moozart; 2021-07-28 at 09:14 PM.

Uhhh... no.

You wont see Zen 4 except perhaps in laptop parts until mid 2023, absolute earliest.

And thats if they can actually produce them in volume before then, which is highly unlikely.

Welp, that aged badly
    . I know it's WCCFTech, but it's an actual quote from the CEO.

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    I wouldn't do ANYTHING on AMD until their new stuff is out later this year. AMD is changing the socket style on the CPU so anything you buy now will NOT work. The last thing you want to do is paint yourself into a corer. Once the new AMD CPU comes out that first board will alot you a few CPU upgrades down the road if you decide you want to do that. The other positive this has is if you STILL want to use the 5000 series all of that stuff will drop quite a bit in price.

I am a video editor and photographer and my main rig is an I9-10850k with a 3080, my 2nd rig is a Ryzen 3800x with a 3080. Gaming wise my intel performs much better. WoW specifically for some reason still has weird micro stutters from time to time on the Ryzen platform, all 3 Ryzen machines in our house have the same issue, 5000 series AMD may have solved this problem. Workflow wise my AMD does better on certain things but its hard to overcome the 2 extra cores of the i9 sometimes. You cant really go wrong with either platform right now to be honest.

As far as the 3080 you are not going to find one at MSRP, the only model that has stayed at MSRP is the founders and I don't think NVIDIA is even making any more of those, all of the rest of them have jumped to the new retail cost of W/e Best Buy is selling them for.
    I'll probably just future proof then and get the 5900x.

This current rig I'm using lasted me 5 years and that's good enough for me haha. There are always going to be new this and new that every 6-8 months when it comes to CPUS and GPUS, so I'm not in the least bit concerned with having the latest thing. The 5900x should last me a long time.
    Last edited by LCDArcade; 2021-07-29 at 02:05 AM.