Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Blizzard Sued By California Over Frat Boy Culture

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/daily-...at-boy-culture

Activision Blizzard Sued By California Over ‘Frat Boy’ Culture
    July 21, 2021, 12:25 PM

COURT: Cal. Super. Ct.
    TRACK DOCKET: 21stcv26571 (Bloomberg Law Subscription)
    COMPANY: Activision Blizzard (Bloomberg Law Subscription)

Video game giant Activision Blizzard Inc., maker of games including World of Warcraft and Diablo, fosters a “frat boy” culture in which female employees are subjected to constant sexual harassment, unequal pay, and retaliation, according to a lawsuit filed by the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing.

A two-year investigation by the state agency found that the company discriminated against female employees in terms and conditions of employment, including compensation, assignment, promotion, and termination. Company leadership consistently failed to take steps to prevent discrimination, harassment, and retaliation, the agency said.

According to the complaint, filed Tuesday in the Los Angeles Superior Court, female employees make up around 20% of the Activision workforce, and are subjected to a “pervasive frat boy workplace culture,” including “cube crawls,” in which male employees “drink copious amounts of alcohol as they crawl their way through various cubicles in the office and often engage in inappropriate behavior toward female employees.”

The agency alleges male employees play video games during the workday while delegating responsibilities to female employees, engage in sexual banter, and joke openly about rape, among other things.

Female employees allege being held back from promotions because of the possibility they might become pregnant, being criticized for leaving to pick their children up from daycare, and being kicked out of lactation rooms so male colleagues could use the room for meetings, the complaint says.

Female employees working for the World of Warcraft team noted that male employees and supervisors would hit on them, make derogatory comments about rape, and otherwise engage in demeaning behavior, the agency alleges.

The suit also points to a female Activision employee who took her own life while on a company trip with her male supervisor. The employee had been subjected to intense sexual harassment prior to her death, including having nude photos passed around at a company holiday party, the complaint says.

The agency seeks an injunction forcing compliance with workplace protections, as well as unpaid wages, pay adjustments, back pay, and lost wages and benefits for female employees.

Causes of Action: Employment discrimination because of sex; retaliation; failure to prevent discrimination and harassment; unequal pay.

Relief: Compensatory damages; punitive damages; unpaid wages; injunctive relief; declaratory relief; equitable relief; pre-judgment interest; attorneys’ fees; costs.

Response: Activision Blizzard didn’t immediately respond to Bloomberg Law’s request for comment.

Attorneys: Internal counsel represents the Department of Fair Employment and Housing.

The case is Calif. Dep’t of Fair Emp. & Housing v. Activision Blizzard Inc., Cal. Super. Ct., No. 21stcv26571, 7/20/21.

To contact the reporter on this story: Maeve Allsup in San Francisco at mallsup@bloomberglaw.com

To contact the editors responsible for this story: Rob Tricchinelli at rtricchinelli@bloomberglaw.com; Meghashyam Mali at mmali@bloombergindustry.com

oops
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

5+ Year Old Account
    Damn.. Felplague's gonna have to get creative with her damage control on this one.
    Kupo.

Activision Blizzard Sued By California Over ‘Frat Boy’ Culture

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/daily-...at-boy-culture
    Video game giant Activision Blizzard Inc., maker of games including World of Warcraft and Diablo, fosters a “frat boy” culture in which female employees are subjected to constant sexual harassment, unequal pay, and retaliation, according to a lawsuit filed by the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing.

A two-year investigation by the state agency found that the company discriminated against female employees in terms and conditions of employment, including compensation, assignment, promotion, and termination. Company leadership consistently failed to take steps to prevent discrimination, harassment, and retaliation, the agency said.

According to the complaint, filed Tuesday in the Los Angeles Superior Court, female employees make up around 20% of the Activision workforce, and are subjected to a “pervasive frat boy workplace culture,” including “cube crawls,” in which male employees “drink copious amounts of alcohol as they crawl their way through various cubicles in the office and often engage in inappropriate behavior toward female employees.”

The agency alleges male employees play video games during the workday while delegating responsibilities to female employees, engage in sexual banter, and joke openly about rape, among other things.

Female employees allege being held back from promotions because of the possibility they might become pregnant, being criticized for leaving to pick their children up from daycare, and being kicked out of lactation rooms so male colleagues could use the room for meetings, the complaint says.

Female employees working for the World of Warcraft team noted that male employees and supervisors would hit on them, make derogatory comments about rape, and otherwise engage in demeaning behavior, the agency alleges.

The suit also points to a female Activision employee who took her own life while on a company trip with her male supervisor. The employee had been subjected to intense sexual harassment prior to her death, including having nude photos passed around at a company holiday party, the complaint says.

The agency seeks an injunction forcing compliance with workplace protections, as well as unpaid wages, pay adjustments, back pay, and lost wages and benefits for female employees.

Causes of Action: Employment discrimination because of sex; retaliation; failure to prevent discrimination and harassment; unequal pay.

Relief: Compensatory damages; punitive damages; unpaid wages; injunctive relief; declaratory relief; equitable relief; pre-judgment interest; attorneys’ fees; costs.

Response: Activision Blizzard didn’t immediately respond to Bloomberg Law’s request for comment.

Attorneys: Internal counsel represents the Department of Fair Employment and Housing.
    TLDR: After a 2 year intensive investigation it turns out not only did they have enough to sue Activision-Blizzard, Its that they 100% needed to. The amount of shit found is insane. If anyone wants to read the 29 page document the link will be posted below.

https://aboutblaw.com/YJw
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2021-07-22 at 01:22 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

i was just checking to see if anyone had posted this news here. the key piece to me is the following:

"A two-year investigation by the state agency found that the company discriminated against female employees in terms and conditions of employment, including compensation, assignment, promotion, and termination. Company leadership consistently failed to take steps to prevent discrimination, harassment, and retaliation, the agency said."
    this shows there has already been an investigation that shows discrimination. while the rape jokes and such are currently allegations,

"The suit also points to a female Activision employee who took her own life while on a company trip with her male supervisor. The employee had been subjected to intense sexual harassment prior to her death, including having nude photos passed around at a company holiday party, the complaint says."
    this lends credence to the allegations. the woman committed suicide while on a business trip with her boss. that doesn't look good no matter how you look at it. even giving blizzard reasonable benefit of the doubt, it looks like the team leads, JAB, and a lot of devs should be fired. as a person who hates what wow has become, this may be a blessing in disguise but i'd have preferred this didn't happen. making a game better is not worth ANY amount of harassment.

7+ Year Old Account
    wow is dying something something

10+ Year Old Account
    I uhh... I guess we know why Afrasiabi quietly left/was removed from Blizzard =/
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

blizzard: our company believes in fair treatment and equal rights for everyone, especially those who regularly face discrimination
    also blizzard:

Jesus... it's like if there was a checklist for every sexual harassment trope, they saved time and just went full 'all of the above'.

Really hope there's some serious punitive damages that come out of this. This type of stuff shouldn't exist in the modern day.

7+ Year Old Account
    Holy shit, now it will one hell of a ride with people trying to defend blizzard.

the worst part is how this don't surprise me with they being so engaged on twitter, perfect cover

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Jesus... it's like if there was a checklist for every sexual harassment trope, they saved time and just went full 'all of the above'.

Really hope there's some serious punitive damages that come out of this. This type of stuff shouldn't exist in the modern day.
    i'm hoping that the lead dev of every game team that participated in this is fired, JAB is fired, and every regular employee that did this crap is fired. i personally want JAB and the game leads fired because it's their job to manage their workers. if this happened under their watch, then they can't be trusted with making a good work environment and NEED to be sacked.

10+ Year Old Account
    A lawsuit being filed isn't proof.

Quote Originally Posted by Izalla View Post
    I uhh... I guess we know why Afrasiabi quietly left/was removed from Blizzard =/
    It's even worse than we thought. According to the lawsuit his office was known as the "Crosby Suite".

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    How about the death of a person??

Like holy shit there is nothing to defend here, Anyone trying to wants to just ignore what has happen.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    How about the death of a person??
    Not to mention it's the state bringing the lawsuit. They don't do anything without solid evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Kohtra View Post
    Not to mention it's the state bringing the lawsuit. They don't do anything without solid evidence.
    Exactly, a state doesn't come after you unless they 100% know they can win.

10+ Year Old Account
    None of that is surprising.

I'm surprised the legal brief got Bill Cosby's name wrong. That's really sloppy. Bill Crosby? The Crosby Suite? That's not a big thing with respect to the case and easily amended but still.....

Anyway, not a bit surprised at any of this. The business about Afrasiabi has been in the wind for a while now.

In any case, the whole deal is likely to be settled out of court with Blizzard making amends for past behaviors and demonstrating that with Afrasiabi gone they've cleaned up their act. No idea if that's true or not. This kind of sexist rot is endemic in the industry. I'm happy that Blizzard was called out by the state.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2021-07-22 at 01:34 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

And we have our first.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Holy shit, now it will one hell of a ride with people trying to defend blizzard.
    I'd say these sorts of allegations are quite a bit removed from "the design team has no idea how I should be given talents" and "Leggos have a negative effect on the top 1% DPS parsing, obviously they're a terrible design decision that's ruining the game." So I doubt you're going to see many people defending this sort of behavior.

I wouldn't be surprised if this sort of behavior went back for several years, potentially decades. Blizzard has long been a sort of "frat boy" type company.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

you're right. the two year investigation the article sites is. anything else to say?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I'd say these sorts of allegations are quite a bit removed from "the design team has no idea how I should be given talents" and "Leggos have a negative effect on the top 1% DPS parsing, obviously they're a terrible design decision that's ruining the game." So I doubt you're going to see many people defending this sort of behavior.

I wouldn't be surprised if this sort of behavior went back for several years, potentially decades. Blizzard has long been a sort of "frat boy" type company.
    If the allegations are true it goes back to at least 2013

https://twitter.com/skrutsick/status...06293495762944

This person claims to be one of the women who was being referred to in the section about Afrasiabi.