Page 25 of 109 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Oh hey, didn't know Brak was also personally named in the lawsuit for taking "no effective remedial measures", and having direct knowledge of what was going on with Afrasiabi and only "ha[ving] multiple conversations with Afrasiabi about his drinking and [the fact that Afrasiabi] had been ‘too friendly’ towards female employees at company events but gave Afrasiabi a slab on the wrist (i.e. verbal counseling) in response to these incidents."

Big ooph. And he thinks dropping Steinem's name is gonna make all the feminists go wild or something. Seems like he's much more of a fan of bro-culture than he claims.
    Some corroborating evidence as to Brack looking the other way.

I wasn't certain if I wanted to share this, but I think I bad better. During that meeting with JAB, when he pulled all the ladies of WoW into a room after Alex Afrasiabi's embarrassing verbal vomit in 2016, I asked him a question.

"What does zero tolerance mean?"

He asked me if I thought NOTHING had happened to Alex.

I'm sure he got talked to. I'm sure the tone was deadly serious. I am certain JAB was unequivocal in his denouncement of that behavior.

But he kept his job. He was allowed to continue leading women.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

There's not really too much new ground covered here, but in case anyone wants to read it: Blizzard president Brack allowed toxicity to fester, according to lawsuit https://www.washingtonpost.com/video...rce=reddit.com

Also: https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment...tm_name=iossmf
    Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Ah, if that's what he meant I took it the wrong way, apologies.
    Yeah It seems to be the trend. With big company's
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Explains a lot about the state of the game if 80% of them were drunk every day.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Yeah It seems to be the trend. With big company's
    In people's defense, the first sentence of "It seems like a lot of nothing.", can be construed as being really bad. It might be good if you add something to clarify that you mean that there's nothing that seems legally substantive enough to lead to convictions or major penalties for Blizzard as an organization.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    Don't worry though guys JAB has worked against bro culture his entire career. /s

Gamer culture is reactionary as shit and it's about time people were forced to take a good hard look at their conduct.

- - - Updated - - -

"You can talk to anyone on the leadership team about your problems!"

The leadership team:

Activision Blizzard Hires Bush-Era Torture Apologist As Chief Compliance Officer

Activision Blizzard Enlists Trump Administration Member Who's Been Described As A "Bully" as Chief Administrative Officer
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

FUNNY YOU LINK TO FRANCES HIRE!

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/st...19091515068421

Because apparently the torture lady also sent around a note to everyone at Blizzard. And per Schreier, employees are not pleased. I imagine it's because the entire email is, "This is all fake, none of it happened, look how awesome we are, it isn't real, we're so great, I'm great, there's nothing to see here, we will do better but don't have to because we're all doing great."
    Last edited by Edge-; 2021-07-23 at 05:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    FUNNY YOU LINK TO FRANCES HIRE!

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/st...19091515068421

Because apparently the torture guy also sent around a note to everyone at Blizzard. And per Schreier, employees are not pleased. I imagine it's because the entire email is, "This is all fake, none of it happened, look how awesome we are, it isn't real, we're so great, I'm great, there's nothing to see here, we will do better but don't have to because we're all doing great."
    Torture girl.

What you see there is peak girlboss - and a prime example of how reactionaries like to troll requests for diversity by deliberately hiring bad candidates (see: Clarence Thomas, Amy COVID Barrett, etc.).

Gaslight, gatekeep, girlboss.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-07-23 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    This seems like a lot of nothing. I imagine a settlement.
    Did you even read the court documents? Some people could probably, or at least should, go to jail.

The guild i run has a better code of conduct and anti-discriminatory policies than Blizzard do. What a joke.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacemoon View Post
    The guild i run has a better code of conduct and anti-discriminatory policies than Blizzard do. What a joke.
    Oh, I'm sure the policies are very sound. They just don't follow them themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

https://twitter.com/MckKirk/status/1418622709873926145

https://twitter.com/PrimaGames/statu...857160193?s=09

And some media outlets are starting to choose not to cover Activision or Blizzard titles until the company actually does something about their internal harassment problem. And Prima included Ubisoft as well, who have their own multi-year long harassment issues which continue to be ongoing and continue to not have that much done in terms of meaningful action.

This is actually fairly big, since ad revenue isn't a lot and the titles from these companies are HUGE, driving a lot of traffic. So they're very much putting their money where their mouths are, since they're taking a financial hit as they stand in support with the victims.

10+ Year Old Account
    Brak right now, just name dropping Gloria Steinem - "How do you do, fellow feminists."

This reads like it was designed for public consumption, knowing full well it would immediately leak.

Glad that the senior leadership team and HR are there to talk to, as if the fact that those people haven't been addressing these issues isn't the source of the lawsuit to begin with.
    If I were an employee who had experienced the culture for any length of time or been a victim of it (however minor) I would be perhaps more than mildly insulted by Brack's e-mail. I agree that it was meant more for public consumption than for staff. That third "It goes—with saying" point is blatantly untrue and we know of at least one example of Brack "attending to" a problem by handwaving it aside after a 'very serious conversation."

EDIT: Townsend's e-mail is, if anything, even worse.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2021-07-23 at 07:02 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

https://twitter.com/MckKirk/status/1418622709873926145

https://twitter.com/PrimaGames/statu...857160193?s=09

And some media outlets are starting to choose not to cover Activision or Blizzard titles until the company actually does something about their internal harassment problem. And Prima included Ubisoft as well, who have their own multi-year long harassment issues which continue to be ongoing and continue to not have that much done in terms of meaningful action.

This is actually fairly big, since ad revenue isn't a lot and the titles from these companies are HUGE, driving a lot of traffic. So they're very much putting their money where their mouths are, since they're taking a financial hit as they stand in support with the victims.
    Good. The old English "sending them to coventry" is harsh to a person but real effective against a modern corporation. Can't generate traffic and views on your stuff without the websites pushing them.

I mean shit doesn't embedds on websites make up a significant portion of views for their pvp stuff alone nowadays? if that goes its deserved. If they can't change because of basic human decency maybe angry shareholders and lost income will.

and what a fucking world it is to say that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well well, I guess Adam Curry's remarks on corporations and ESGs make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    EDIT: Townsend's e-mail is, if anything, even worse.
    It's much worse since it denies that anything is even wrong. And that Brak is named as knowing what when on with Afrasiabi and only giving him a mild slap on the wrist makes his note so, so much worse. Blizzard employees aren't even buying it -

https://kotaku.com/blizzard-boss-acc...ara-1847351449

“Personally, I was not satisfied by it,” one current Blizzard developer told Kotaku. “I wanted to hear an explicit admission by leadership that we have a problem, followed by concrete steps to fix it. Instead it felt like a bunch of empty words.

The part about Gloria Steinem was particularly confusing to me,” they went on. “[J. Allen Brack] worked alongside Afrasiabi for years, and it’s hard to believe he wasn’t aware of his behavior. JAB is in that video circulating of a 2010 BlizzCon panel where leaders of the World of Warcraft team were extremely patronizing and sexist to a woman asking a reasonable question. I want JAB to resign and the email didn’t change that.

It's much worse since it denies that anything is even wrong. And that Brak is named as knowing what when on with Afrasiabi and only giving him a mild slap on the wrist makes his note so, so much worse. Blizzard employees aren't even buying it -

https://kotaku.com/blizzard-boss-acc...ara-1847351449
    That sounds like Blizzard is starting to fracture from the inside now.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Quote Originally Posted by The Council View Post
    god I hope that is the case.

https://twitter.com/bpashalidis/stat...51904289255425

Switch Player, Ninty Fresh, [lock-on], Cinelinx, and Console Creatures all joining in the decision to stop covering Activision-Blizzard or Ubisoft titles until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by The Council View Post
    Nah, leadership is trying to cover their ass the shredders are working overtime this week.