Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    So you're telling me that back in 2018 when during a museum tour a male class colleague said he was for equality but not a feminist on account of the movement's bad apples was wrongly hounded the majority female class?
    I'm sure this is exactly how this went down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    I don't expect you're going to hear me, but why--and I am asking sincerely--why do you feel your identity is under attack when people talk about systemic racism or sexism? Because I don't get it. I don't feel I'm being shredded of anything.
    I don't ascribe the snarky tone to the following: i was not the one arguing for a complete distancing from a particular identity on account of a specific event.

I play and love video games and I won't stop being a gamer or treasurering the memories a specific game provided me with on account of Blizzard having predators in their structure.

Elegiac has already provided enough to demonstrate that. Case being light fun, mockery or legit criticism and disagreement in respect to the issue of artistic female imagery isn't tantamount to perpetuating a system of harassment.

Case being as the thread i posted evidences that it's unacceptable to try to manipulate the wider group of men into thinking that we're predators waiting to happen.

People don't get to escape with proposterous propositions just because they place themselves under the banner of noble causes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    I'm sure this is exactly how this went down.
    Colored me shocked by your ideological fueled dismissal

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Making your female relatives and coworkers uncomfortable is not a moral thing, dude.
    No one can control what someone else finds offensive. No one's a mind reader. Trying to criminalize something as subjective as being "uncomfortable" is blatantly wrong. It's why I don't take some of these allegations all that seriously. Jokes and mean words aren't grounds for rape. Touching, however, is definitely sexual harassment, as is him acting like Harvey Weinstein with his casting couch.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Something does not need to be illegal for it to be, you know, massively unethical. Please take the legalism elsewhere, Qin Shi Huang.
    Unethical is subjective, especially in regards to speech. "Silence" is not violence, and jokes are not actions.
    Last edited by Darth Vowrawn; 2021-07-27 at 01:13 AM.

Case being as the thread i posted evidences that it's unacceptable to try to manipulate the wider group of men into thinking that we're predators waiting to happen.
    omg no one here is arguing that. not a single person in this thread has said so. this is you making things up to be upset.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vowrawn View Post
    No one can control what someone else finds offensive. No one's a mind reader. Trying to criminalize something as subjective as being "uncomfortable" is blatantly wrong. It's why I don't take some of these allegations all that seriously. Jokes and mean words aren't grounds for rape. Touching, however, is definitely sexual harassment, as is him acting like Harvey Weinstein with his casting couch.
    I mean, you can feel that way.

If you act that way at your job, you can be lawfully fired with cause for those "jokes" and "mean words". Your employer can and likely will warn future employers about your conduct, which may make it difficult for you to find future employment, and may get you effectively unhirable in your field.

Sure, it's not criminal, but that's not the same thing as acceptable or without potential consequence. Those kinds of "jokes" and "mean words" are, definitively, sexual harassment, and will be treated accordingly. As is happening with Blizzard. Hence the thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Unethical is subjective, especially in regards to speech. "Silence" is not violence, and jokes are not actions.
    In pretty much any situation where professional ethics come up, you'll find they're absolutely not in any way "subjective", but are in fact codified and legally actionable.

Colored me shocked by your ideological fueled dismissal
    Gee, I wonder why I would think you made shit up.

Case being as the thread i posted evidences that it's unacceptable to try to manipulate the wider group of men into thinking that we're predators waiting to happen
    Oh......

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I mean...rape jokes aren't exactly a really good fit for a professional work environment pretty much anywhere.
    Reading the room, and knowing your audience, is a big part of comedy, after all. A workplace needs to be professional, and rape jokes are more between friends or online.

Usually not, but they're plenty grounds for terminating an employee.
    True. The incompetence shown by Blizzard is depthless.

- - - Updated - - -

But I can certainly point out how much of a awful person it makes you.
    No, you can't. You don't know someone enough to be able to judge them, morally, based on a single stupid joke. That just makes you a prude, and easily slides to powermongering in the wrong circumstance. And, even then, it's just a worthless opinion without merit.

No, you can't. You don't know someone enough to be able to judge them, morally, based on a single stupid joke. That just makes you a prude, and easily slides to powermongering in the wrong circumstance. And, even then, it's just a worthless opinion without merit.
    You are an awful person for making rape jokes is an objective statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I mean, you can feel that way.

If you act that way at your job, you can be lawfully fired with cause for those "jokes" and "mean words". Your employer can and likely will warn future employers about your conduct, which may make it difficult for you to find future employment, and may get you effectively unhirable in your field.

Sure, it's not criminal, but that's not the same thing as acceptable or without potential consequence. Those kinds of "jokes" and "mean words" are, definitively, sexual harassment, and will be treated accordingly. As is happening with Blizzard. Hence the thread.
    Too often, people on the Left conflate "acceptable" with "criminal". If sexual harassment or racism were truly this deep evil, Madeleine Roux would have been fired/not hired to begin with. Apparently, those stigmas only apply if used on the "wrong" group.

In pretty much any situation where professional ethics come up, you'll find they're absolutely not in any way "subjective", but are in fact codified and legally actionable.
    Free speech is an absolute. Violating it, by making "laws" and "codes" violates the Constitution.

- - - Updated - - -

You are an awful person for making rape jokes is an objective statement.
    No, it's subjective because it personally hurts your feefees. It's why "hate speech" is just a weasel word definition that is used to shut up anyone who disagrees with Communists, for instance.

Too often, people on the Left conflate "acceptable" with "criminal". If sexual harassment or racism were truly this deep evil, Madeleine Roux would have been fired/not hired to begin with. Apparently, those stigmas only apply if used on the "wrong" group.

Free speech is an absolute. Violating it, by making "laws" and "codes" violates the Constitution.

- - - Updated - - -

No, it's subjective because it personally hurts your feefees. It's why "hate speech" is just a weasel word definition that is used to shut up anyone who disagrees with Communists, for instance.
    Defends rape jokes. Doesn't understand the concept of free speech. Doesn't understand the concept of hate speech.

Really good look kiddo.

Defends rape jokes. Doesn't understand the concept of free speech. Doesn't understand the concept of hate speech.
    Free Speech is utterly and entirely inviolable. Unless you are a Leftist that wants to create dictatorship, then it has to go. "Hate speech" also doesn't exist, because it is entirely subjective what constitutes "hate" or not, therefore the only logical way of banning "hate speech" is to ban "speech" period. Logic is your friend, use it.

Really good look kiddo.
    Much better than being an authoritarian, I assure you.

Free Speech is utterly and entirely inviolable. Unless you are a Leftist that wants to create dictatorship, then it has to go. "Hate speech" also doesn't exist, because it is entirely subjective what constitutes "hate" or not, therefore the only logical way of banning "hate speech" is to ban "speech" period. Logic is your friend, use it.
    While I appreciate the help, I already pointed out you didn't understand these concepts. No need to go further.

Good point to end my piling onto this derail.

Free Speech is utterly and entirely inviolable. Unless you are a Leftist that wants to create dictatorship, then it has to go. "Hate speech" also doesn't exist, because it is entirely subjective what constitutes "hate" or not, therefore the only logical way of banning "hate speech" is to ban "speech" period. Logic is your friend, use it. Much better than being an authoritarian, I assure you.
    Irrelevant to the consequences.

Much better than being an authoritarian, I assure you.
    Man, too bad free speech doesn't apply to private companies which is where all the consequences for your 'jokes' are going to come from.

While I appreciate the help, I already pointed out you didn't understand these concepts. No need to go further.

Good point to end my piling onto this derail.
    I understand it perfectly. You, on the other hand, could brush up on some Individualism.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yuujin View Post
    Man, too bad free speech doesn't apply to private companies which is where all the consequences for your 'jokes' are going to come from.
    That depends on the company, and who I'm telling the joke to. If I'm on a largely blue collar workforce, and I make a raunchy joke, I'll get some laughs. If I make the same joke at board meeting, I'll likely get a stern talking to by my boss, if not fired.

I That depends on the company, and who I'm telling the joke to.
    No it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    No it doesn't.
    Yeah, it really does. It's based on your opinion, so there is no objective standard to apply. If I'm a comedian, it's my job. If I'm surrounded by bookish nerds, it might be inappropriate. If I'm surrounded by powerhungry feminists, I'll get reported to my boss.

Yeah, it really does. It's based on your opinion, so there is no objective standard to apply. If I'm a comedian, it's my job. If I'm surrounded by bookish nerds, it might be inappropriate. If I'm surrounded by powerhungry feminists, I'll get reported to my boss.
    Name the business that doesn't give a shit about public opinion.
    We all know you can't.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Name the business that doesn't give a shit about public opinion.
    We all know you can't.
    pillow guy :P Sorry had to lol
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    pillow guy :P Sorry had to lol
    Could have also said Activision-Blizzard.

- - - Updated - - -

I understand it perfectly. You, on the other hand, could brush up on some Individualism.

- - - Updated - - -

That depends on the company, and who I'm telling the joke to. If I'm on a largely blue collar workforce, and I make a raunchy joke, I'll get some laughs. If I make the same joke at board meeting, I'll likely get a stern talking to by my boss, if not fired.
    It doesn't apply to the company. Sure, codes of conduct relating to speech may be enforced on an individual basis, but you have no free speech. If you break a rule, you can't go 'but mah free speech' and expect to get out of trouble.