Page 1 of 5
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    I still can’t believe Blizzard thought that “twist” was a good idea...

    Look; you don’t need a fortune teller to see where the story is going. Having Sylvanas just decide “actually the Jailer IS evil, sorry y’all”, that was genuinely one of the most cringe-inducing videos I could imagine.

    Like... we know Blizzard has talented writers. How the fuck does a cutscene like that even happen? How many people had to green light every step of the process for that stupid cutscene become reality?

    This is like Diablo 3 (vanilla)’s story all over again. The “greatest tactician in Hell” giving you constant updates on his plans, the “Lord of Lies” is so obviously communicating to you the whole time in Act 2.

    Did Blizzard just forget that a lot of their fans are adults now, and that we appreciate a little bit of nuance or moral ambiguity?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Look; you don’t need a fortune teller to see where the story is going. Having Sylvanas just decide “actually the Jailer IS evil, sorry y’all”, that was genuinely one of the most cringe-inducing videos I could imagine.
    Her problem isn't that she realized the Jailer was evil. She realized full and well that he was doing some shady shit. The issue she took with him? She's not his equal, which she had apparently been assuming up until now? Even though he's a "titan++ level being" and she's just an undead elf with a bow, this falls perfectly in line with how prideful Sylvanas was in both life and death.

    Notice her specific phrasing when calling him out: "I will never serve." Not "I won't let you do this" or "I thought you were better than this", but instead, something that focuses squarely on her own subservience to him. She has no problem forcing others to serve her, as was the case with Derek Proudmoore and Anduin Wrynn, but the moment someone wants HER to serve? That's where she draws the line; a vain and conceited hypocrite until the very end.

    Now watch as she magically becomes "good" all of a sudden now that she's been reunited with the other half of her soul - even though she literally just revealed to everyone her ability to display free will and disobey the Jailer and not serve as his puppet - and everyone suddenly decides she deserves a second chance because "it wasn't really her this whole time, you guys!"


  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Look; you don’t need a fortune teller to see where the story is going. Having Sylvanas just decide “actually the Jailer IS evil, sorry y’all”, that was genuinely one of the most cringe-inducing videos I could imagine.

    Like... we know Blizzard has talented writers. How the fuck does a cutscene like that even happen? How many people had to green light every step of the process for that stupid cutscene become reality?

    This is like Diablo 3 (vanilla)’s story all over again. The “greatest tactician in Hell” giving you constant updates on his plans, the “Lord of Lies” is so obviously communicating to you the whole time in Act 2.

    Did Blizzard just forget that a lot of their fans are adults now, and that we appreciate a little bit of nuance or moral ambiguity?
    WoW has talented writers. But sadly they are not working on the main story. All "main" plots since BfA (warcampaign and SL main story) were utter bullshit. BfA had some good writing. Drustvar was super cool, to name one example. But there isn't a ounce of cohesion in Sylvannas' entire arc, books and game don't align, even BfA and SL don't align. It's just nonsense. The writers responsible for that are not good.

    What WoW lacks is a proer senior writer, who decides which writer is good enough to write the main story, and which should rather work on smaller quest chains.

  4. #4
    Herald of the Titans Dartz1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Azeroth
    Posts
    2,946
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Look; you don’t need a fortune teller to see where the story is going. Having Sylvanas just decide “actually the Jailer IS evil, sorry y’all”, that was genuinely one of the most cringe-inducing videos I could imagine.

    Like... we know Blizzard has talented writers. How the fuck does a cutscene like that even happen? How many people had to green light every step of the process for that stupid cutscene become reality?

    This is like Diablo 3 (vanilla)’s story all over again. The “greatest tactician in Hell” giving you constant updates on his plans, the “Lord of Lies” is so obviously communicating to you the whole time in Act 2.

    Did Blizzard just forget that a lot of their fans are adults now, and that we appreciate a little bit of nuance or moral ambiguity?
    im just glad my waifu sylvanas is not killed off heaven forbid the alliance fanbois get what they desire i mean your waifu jaina coulda been killed off but theys pared her so lets call it even.
    You can't take what ya can't see... *rolls d20* You rolled a natural 20* The skill of stealth is successful.

    Duelingnexus name: Jaina1337
    Blizzard Battle Tag: Jaina1337#1396

  5. #5
    Agree with this, i mean, i am not that offended by the main storyline, but in WoW, i have always preferred zone storylines.

    Suramar, all of BfA zones, Bastion and Revendreth imho all had good stories. I especially liked the Bastion conflict, imho it was done right since i sympathized with both Kyrian and Forsworn, and was quite satisfied with it's conclusion in 9.1.

    I like how Blizzard envisioned Shadowlands, but i am a type of person who likes order and structure, so ''the order of the Shadowlands'' is ok in my book.

    About the main storyline, I think personal feelings are getting to much in the way to objectively rate the story. Also, I never got the impression that the latest cinematic was supposed to be a ''twist'', it was pretty evident from earlier cut scenes that she is already doubting their cause.

  6. #6
    it's sad to say this but blizzard is a better villain than any of the current ones. sylvanas included.

  7. #7
    The Insane Jessicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    19,730
    The storytelling from Blizz now is basically a series of cinematic moments strung together with vague incoherences that don’t stack up to even cursory scrutiny. There just isn’t the same world building anymore to give it some depth. Just accept it for what it is and be wowed by the big moments.

  8. #8
    I think they are wrecking the lore on purpose so that they can flip flop later, and sell 'the return of the spirit of warcraft' back to us for $80

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by aceperson View Post
    it's sad to say this but blizzard is a better villain than any of the current ones. sylvanas included.
    Sad but true.

  10. #10
    I'd much rather help the Jailor defeat Sylvanas if it comes to it.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivarr View Post
    I'd much rather help the Jailor defeat Sylvanas if it comes to it.
    Sylvanas is nothing without her Jailer buff. She does not the Horde backing her, she no longer has her sycophants.

    The snart thing to do would be to put her on trial and execute her.

  12. #12
    Scarab Lord crakerjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ptwn, Oregon
    Posts
    4,940
    The story writing has been mediocre since cata. If story was important to me, I would have quit a long time ago.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Like... we know Blizzard has talented writers. How the fuck does a cutscene like that even happen? How many people had to green light every step of the process for that stupid cutscene become reality?
    None. It was unanimously approved by everyone there.

    Did Blizzard just forget that a lot of their fans are adults now, and that we appreciate a little bit of nuance or moral ambiguity?
    This.
    catering to kids is their shtick now.
    I'm tempted to apply for a moderator position, just so i can go moderator on your asses.

  14. #14
    Kids love complex storytelling as well. Even if things go over their head, they can at least sense that there's more depth to it.

  15. #15
    The Insane Jessicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    19,730
    Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    This.
    catering to kids is their shtick now.
    They're catering to people, kids and adults, with no attention span. It's all Big Moments without a care as to how they actually tie together.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Skirdus View Post
    Her problem isn't that she realized the Jailer was evil. She realized full and well that he was doing some shady shit. The issue she took with him? She's not his equal, which she had apparently been assuming up until now? Even though he's a "titan++ level being" and she's just an undead elf with a bow, this falls perfectly in line with how prideful Sylvanas was in both life and death.

    Notice her specific phrasing when calling him out: "I will never serve." Not "I won't let you do this" or "I thought you were better than this", but instead, something that focuses squarely on her own subservience to him. She has no problem forcing others to serve her, as was the case with Derek Proudmoore and Anduin Wrynn, but the moment someone wants HER to serve? That's where she draws the line; a vain and conceited hypocrite until the very end.

    Now watch as she magically becomes "good" all of a sudden now that she's been reunited with the other half of her soul - even though she literally just revealed to everyone her ability to display free will and disobey the Jailer and not serve as his puppet - and everyone suddenly decides she deserves a second chance because "it wasn't really her this whole time, you guys!"
    The issue here is that they spent the last two expansions basically having her serve him as her major plot points and making Anduin serve as well... but... yeah she will never serve... again? I guess...

  17. #17
    I could be wrong in my assumption, but i'm liking how the mah (now in retrospect) was a place we were in 9.0 testing their defenses, looking for weaknesses, and or just weakening it, to now 9.1 we can remain in this inhospitable place we've taken a foothold and are now able to hold assaults from all factions (covenants) united, and maybe in 9.2 we will break through to the jailer's evil lair and defeat him? We are changing the landscape as players.
    looking out of my lonely room day after day

  18. #18
    Yeah but you're artificially progressing by the grace of the developers changing it through a patch. You're not actually getting better at being in the Maw, you're just getting your artificial limitations loosened.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    They're catering to people, kids and adults, with no attention span. It's all Big Moments without a care as to how they actually tie together.
    More accurately they're not catering to the people who do have an attention span. The lower effort required is merely bonus.

  19. #19
    The Unstoppable Force FelPlague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Ontario,Canada
    Posts
    23,565
    Quote Originally Posted by Skirdus View Post
    Her problem isn't that she realized the Jailer was evil. She realized full and well that he was doing some shady shit. The issue she took with him? She's not his equal, which she had apparently been assuming up until now? Even though he's a "titan++ level being" and she's just an undead elf with a bow, this falls perfectly in line with how prideful Sylvanas was in both life and death."
    This is it right here, it is the same thing Azshara did

    "I will not serve you as a pawn, i will be your equal as a queen"
    And yet once nzoth forced her out of her role as queen, transforming her into nothing but a pawn, she betrayed him.

  20. #20
    Bloodsail Admiral Cloudmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Celestial Planetarium
    Posts
    1,010
    At least it's relieving that you guys are also annoyed just like me. It's like: I have been warned, but I will destroy everything anyways, and at the end I'm gonna be like "Oh no!" Sylvanas 2021.
    #SaveAlgalon

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •