Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ...
4
5
6
7
8
... LastLast
  1. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    That is the point, as I said, your points and mine were valids. But since no discussion is possible with you, good evening, we are done.
    Your point isn’t valid. If it was valid I wouldn’t have bothered posting three counter points.

    How about we talk about the racist history of felony disenfranchisement?

  2. #102
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    68,703
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Your point isn’t valid. If it was valid I wouldn’t have bothered posting three counter points.

    How about we talk about the racist history of felony disenfranchisement?
    Which, of course, gets tied into the racism of drug laws, particularly, to provide a means by which to heavily disenfranchise black Americans. Something that's still ongoing.


  3. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Your point isn’t valid. If it was valid I wouldn’t have bothered posting three counter points.

    How about we talk about the racist history of felony disenfranchisement?
    I am not interested in discussing about anything while looking at it through races. I seriously hope that this way of thinking and reasoning stays in the US and do not plague the EU.

  4. #104
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    68,703
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    I am not interested in discussing about anything while looking at it through races. I seriously hope that this way of thinking and reasoning stays in the US and do not plague the EU.
    It's always convenient when you can disregard the complaints of wide swaths of people by dismissing the validity of their complaints wholesale because you don't want to honestly consider what they have to say.

    It's not just or equitable, but it's convenient.


  5. #105
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Berenstein Timeline
    Posts
    54,981
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    I am not interested in discussing about anything while looking at it through races.
    I.e.: "I'm only interested in the curated version of history that I've been taught by a biased system".
    Every heartwarming human interest story in America is like "he raised $20,000 to keep 200 orphans from being crushed in the orphan-crushing machine" and then never asks why an orphan-crushing machine exists or why you'd need to pay to prevent it from being used.

    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    so ? Teacher is about teaching, not education.

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    I am not interested in discussing about anything while looking at it through races. I seriously hope that this way of thinking and reasoning stays in the US and do not plague the EU.
    yes because we all know the French never colonized another country and never partook in the international slave trade, NEVER!

  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    I am not interested in discussing about anything while looking at it through races. I seriously hope that this way of thinking and reasoning stays in the US and do not plague the EU.
    This thread is about American politics. Huge portions of the population are prejudiced and are quite happy to pass laws that are the same.

    If you wish to discuss the politics of another nation, make another thread.

  8. #108
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,921
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    I am not interested in discussing about anything while looking at it through races. I seriously hope that this way of thinking and reasoning stays in the US and do not plague the EU.
    Because France isn't the state that re-legalized slavery or anything . . .
    - Lars

  9. #109
    Quote Originally Posted by saslotie View Post
    Literally speaking, voting will always remain a privilege.

    Some people will never qualify to be able to vote for x reason.

    Even if that reason is age, and babies can't vote, it still becomes a matter of age privilege.
    It is literally in the fucking constitution listed as a fucking right.

  10. #110
    Stood in the Fire tehdang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    404
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    It is literally in the fucking constitution listed as a fucking right.
    The man brought up age as a reason the right to vote is denied. Are you going to "fucking constitution" the issue of age? Because you're being confusing here.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

  11. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    The man brought up age as a reason the right to vote is denied. Are you going to "fucking constitution" the issue of age? Because you're being confusing here.
    Because no right guaranteed in the Constitution is absolute. Not freedom of speech, not the the right to own a weapon, not the right to vote, nothing.

  12. #112
    Stood in the Fire tehdang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    404
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Because no right guaranteed in the Constitution is absolute. Not freedom of speech, not the the right to own a weapon, not the right to vote, nothing.
    You're running into the problem with language here. People don't have strict boundaries on what's they would call a privilege vs a right. It's part of natural language. When I saw the other user call it a privilege and march right into talking about age as a reason to deny the right, I thought his treatment of the concept was pretty well elucidated.

    And, for some people, calling something a right suggests entitlement. Ala, "I couldn't vote when I was your age, I had to fight for that privilege and previous generations too, so you better show some respect." "You have a responsibility to vote because in other countries don't enjoy that privilege."

    You can break out your dictionary and lecture others at using proper English and all that, but on a gaming forum show a little interaction with how the words are commonly used and understood. As regards the poll too: the authors, respondents, and viewers of the poll should know how that language can be interpreted in many different ways.

    And if we're talking about the constitution, it only talks in terms of voting rights for the cases when the right can't be denied or abridged (can't deny the right to vote for the grounds of race or sex, poll taxes.) It literally is not "in the fucking constitution listed as a fucking right" like the fourth and sixth amendment.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

  13. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    People don't have strict boundaries on what's they would call a privilege vs a right. It's part of natural language.
    Except we're not talking about some nebulous idea, we're talking about a legal right. Peoples personal definitions of "right" and "privilege" are irrelevant.

    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    When I saw the other user call it a privilege and march right into talking about age as a reason to deny the right, I thought his treatment of the concept was pretty well elucidated.
    No, that's simply a bad faith argument.

    Is there a conversation to be had about potentially lowering the voting age to enfranchise more younger voters? Absolutely. Is a blanket assertion of "Children, including toddlers, should be able to vote." without further elaboration to be taken seriously? No, not really.

    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    Ala, "I couldn't vote when I was your age, I had to fight for that privilege and previous generations too, so you better show some respect." "You have a responsibility to vote because in other countries don't enjoy that privilege."
    None of which have any bearing on a discussion of us having the legal right to vote, because it is a right, not a privilege. Even if it's a right that women, people of color, and others have had to fight to see extended equally. And still battle for.

  14. #114
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    You're running into the problem with language here. People don't have strict boundaries on what's they would call a privilege vs a right. It's part of natural language. When I saw the other user call it a privilege and march right into talking about age as a reason to deny the right, I thought his treatment of the concept was pretty well elucidated.

    And, for some people, calling something a right suggests entitlement. Ala, "I couldn't vote when I was your age, I had to fight for that privilege and previous generations too, so you better show some respect." "You have a responsibility to vote because in other countries don't enjoy that privilege."

    You can break out your dictionary and lecture others at using proper English and all that, but on a gaming forum show a little interaction with how the words are commonly used and understood. As regards the poll too: the authors, respondents, and viewers of the poll should know how that language can be interpreted in many different ways.

    And if we're talking about the constitution, it only talks in terms of voting rights for the cases when the right can't be denied or abridged (can't deny the right to vote for the grounds of race or sex, poll taxes.) It literally is not "in the fucking constitution listed as a fucking right" like the fourth and sixth amendment.
    So your argument and defense of republicans is that they are too dumb to understand words that are being used? Funny they are the ones screaming at people to learn English.

  15. #115
    It's neither, it's a civic obligation

  16. #116
    Merely a Setback Sunseeker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the state of Denial.
    Posts
    26,458
    It's a right, because we as a nation have said as much. We could change that, but we shouldn't.
    It's a privilege, because many nations do not consider it a right, or allow it at all.
    It's a responsibility, because it allows you to impact people thousands of miles away.
    It's a duty, because if you don't do it, it may not be a right, or even a privilege.

    So yeah, it's a lot of things. But I listed "it's a right" at the top for a reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    "That's my style; I like to kick 'em when they're down!"
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

  17. #117
    Stood in the Fire tehdang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    404
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Except we're not talking about some nebulous idea, we're talking about a legal right. Peoples personal definitions of "right" and "privilege" are irrelevant.
    I'm really sorry a poster on an internet forum, that went on to provide the context in which he made it, is so unacceptable to you.

    No, that's simply a bad faith argument.

    Is there a conversation to be had about potentially lowering the voting age to enfranchise more younger voters? Absolutely. Is a blanket assertion of "Children, including toddlers, should be able to vote." without further elaboration to be taken seriously? No, not really.
    I'm a little surprised you took such an innocent post and made it a "bad faith argument." Do you view other cases of common language as being such a Manichean division? Relax a little. The posters on the internet aren't all malign using language in common use.

    I'll practice with you. "Please, use the word right, and that doesn't mean we can't forgo extending those rights universally to all citizens"
    enough *huffy edge* You're Doing It For Bad Faith!!

    None of which have any bearing on a discussion of us having the legal right to vote, because it is a right, not a privilege. Even if it's a right that women, people of color, and others have had to fight to see extended equally. And still battle for.
    Maybe tomorrow you can look back and realize common sentences using privilege when you personally would use right have a bearing in a discussion between posters using it in that sense. Seriously, the fight to get you to realize alternative forms of speech (not malign!) might be more difficult than the original right to vote for women!

    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    So your argument and defense of republicans is that they are too dumb to understand words that are being used? Funny they are the ones screaming at people to learn English.
    I argue for understanding. You can make all kinds of assertions that it means they're dumb and jump to all the conclusions you so choose.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    It's a right, because we as a nation have said as much. We could change that, but we shouldn't.
    It's a privilege, because many nations do not consider it a right, or allow it at all.
    It's a responsibility, because it allows you to impact people thousands of miles away.
    It's a duty, because if you don't do it, it may not be a right, or even a privilege.

    So yeah, it's a lot of things. But I listed "it's a right" at the top for a reason.
    This may shock some people here, but I can actually understand you when you call it a right, a privilege, a responsibility, and a duty, without feeling the need to argue you out of stating any of the four. And I can extend those senses of the word to *gasp* respondents to a poll.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

  18. #118
    I believe every US citizen has the inalienable & unrestricted right to vote as well as the inalienable & unrestricted right to own whatever firearms necessary to protect against a tyrannical government. The two are essential to preserving our Republic.

  19. #119
    Stood in the Fire tehdang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    404
    Quote Originally Posted by BronzeCondor View Post
    I believe every US citizen has the inalienable & unrestricted right to vote as well as the inalienable & unrestricted right to own whatever firearms necessary to protect against a tyrannical government. The two are essential to preserving our Republic.
    I can entertain arguments extending the privilege, or changing restrictions of the right, to 16 or to 21 or whatever. I don’t think 18 is a magic number for all time. Same with guns. And I’m generally against restrictions on convicted felons voting after they’re released from prison.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

  20. #120
    Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    It's because republicans don't want people voting if they disagree with them. Fraud isn't a problem even though they claim that's the reason. They just want to make it easier for republicans to win.

    It's similar to their thinking on many issues. Take the current CRT nonsense. It's not even taught in grade school and the vast majority of people had never even heard of it until recently. This is because what they really want to do is pretend blacks liked being slaves, native genocides either didn't take place or were their own fault, etc... They want to teach children an alternate version of history that is completely false.

    At this point you can be certain when a republican gives you a reason for something it's a lie. They real reason is something much shittier.
    This is intellectually dishonest & a matter of semantics. CRT in its formal form, is not taught in grade school, that much is true. But it is derived from Marxist historians, individuals like Howard Zinn (a controversial individual). Howard Zinn founded the Zinn Education Project to push Marxist-influenced education material to schools (including public schools).

    If you go to the following link, you will see a plethora of testimonials of teachers using his work in the classrooms.

    https://www.zinnedproject.org/why/wh...rs-are-saying/

    Conservatives may be technically off that "CRT" is being taught, but the type of Marxist educational material being provided to teachers is not far off from where CRT originated from.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    I can entertain arguments extending the privilege, or changing restrictions of the right, to 16 or to 21 or whatever. I don’t think 18 is a magic number for all time. Same with guns. And I’m generally against restrictions on convicted felons voting after they’re released from prison.
    I don't believe there should be any type of voter ID, every US citizen should be able to vote.

    I don't believe there should be any type of restrictions on firearm ownership to protect against a tyrannical government, every US citizen should be able to obtain any type of firearm they deem necessary to exercise that right.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •