Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    Kinda torn alittle on it. I personally don’t think convicted serial killers/pedos/rapists deserve voting rights.
    Oh you pesky right-winger conservative, get ready for feces to be flung at you

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    nah he is being a contrarian just to troll the forum.
    No, I actually do think national voting should be a right in all countries and cultures and for all ages. Children are the same as adults in the sense that they can instinctively understand flaws in the way they are treated.

Voting is what allows people to dissent if they are being mistreated. If the right or left mistreats young people then they should be punished in a democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    Oh you pesky right-winger conservative, get ready for feces to be flung at you
    Must be tiring acting like that all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Their fundamental right to vote... Citizens are equal but society doesn't want to give everyone the right to vote.

For Republicans I can understand their reasoning because they think voting is a privilege to be earned, even though I disagree with their position.
    We tie the ability to vote to the ability to give consent which in turn is relevant for the ability to enter contracts etc. We call that "The Age of Reasoning".

As a Democrat I am in favor of disconnecting political suffrage from the age of reasoning. I am quite in favor of reducing the voting age to 16, maybe even 14. Note, if we would do that Texas would be a blue state tomorrow. So, sure. Let's do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Must be tiring acting like that all the time.
    How would I know? I'm not a {placeholder} rights activist

Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    How would I know? I'm not a {placeholder} rights activist
    you sure do like acting like a victim all the time.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, I actually do think national voting should be a right in all countries and cultures and for all ages. Children are the same as adults in the sense that they can instinctively understand flaws in the way they are treated.

Voting is what allows people to dissent if they are being mistreated. If the right or left mistreats young people then they should be punished in a democracy.
    Not to say each and every adult is a paragon of critical thinking and intelligence, but kids by and large don't know shit about fuck. They'd vote in candy for all their meals or vote to skip out on going to school if they were given the choice.

Not to say Kids are intrinsically idiots, but they need guidance and direction and time to grow so they can be ready to make their own decisions when they're older.

Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    you sure do like acting like a victim all the time.
    It’s intellectually lazy so it should be unsurprising.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    Not to say each and every adult is a paragon of critical thinking and intelligence, but kids by and large don't know shit about fuck. They'd vote in candy for all their meals or vote to skip out on going to school if they were given the choice.

Not to say Kids are intrinsically idiots, but they need guidance and direction and time to grow so they can be ready to make their own decisions when they're older.
    As opposed to people that believe the earth is flat, or that there’s a satanic cult of Demonrats eating babies?

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    It’s intellectually lazy so it should be unsurprising.

- - - Updated - - -

As opposed to people that believe the earth is flat, or that there’s a satanic cult of Demonrats eating babies?
    It's why I prefaced my post with 'not that every adult is smart' stuff, lol. You got some stupid ass grown-ups who don't know shit about fuck but we let vote anyway. In the case of Children, an attempt to educate them on how the world works should at least be made before giving them the type of responsibility that comes with voting.

give babies the vote. we can go back to having 3 year olds on the throne here!

It's why I prefaced my post with 'not that every adult is smart' stuff, lol. You got some stupid ass grown-ups who don't know shit about fuck but we let vote anyway. In the case of Children, an attempt to educate them on how the world works should at least be made before giving them the type of responsibility that comes with voting.
    So you are holding up children to more of a standard than adults who are allowed to vote.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    So you are holding up children to more of a standard than adults who are allowed to vote.
    I guess it could be seen that way with the wording, sure.

I think I'm more just naively musing about how I wish things were vs how they actually are.

I guess it could be seen that way with the wording, sure.

I think I'm more just naively musing about how I wish things were vs how they actually are.
    My real point is these kids are scared to be at school because of lax gun control laws, are put into harms was due to being forced back to school during a pandemic, and teenagers are increasingly killing them selves due to this countries poor mental health laws, I 100% think they should get a say.

I’m not saying 5 year old little Jimmy should be able to vote, but I bet if you asked him the shape of the Earth he wouldn’t say flat.

Imo the right to vote is intrinsically tied to physical maturity, and the assumption of education with that age. Hypothetically, the person is an educated voter.

- - - Updated - - -

My real point is these kids are scared to be at school because of lax gun control laws, are put into harms was due to being forced back to school during a pandemic, and teenagers are increasingly killing them selves due to this countries poor mental health laws, I 100% think they should get a say.
    "Fear" is a provocation and the worst way to vote. Unless you really want to find out how fast civil rights can be suspended for the sake of security.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account

I’m not saying 5 year old little Jimmy should be able to vote, but I bet if you asked him the shape of the Earth he wouldn’t say flat.
    A more than fair point, actually. And I could have worded my thoughts a bit better with this in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Imo the right to vote is intrinsically tied to physical maturity, and the assumption of education with that age. Hypothetically, the person is an educated voter.

- - - Updated - - -

"Fear" is a provocation and the worst way to vote. Unless you really want to find out how fast civil rights can be suspended for the sake of security.
    The adults sure don't give a shit. And their decisions put them at risk.
    Last edited by unfilteredJW; 2021-07-22 at 09:56 PM.

If someone is a citizen of the country, they should have the right to make their voice heard in voting.

Otherwise they should also not be required to pay taxes, or beholden to the laws of said country. Norway's the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    If someone is a citizen of the country, they should have the right to make their voice heard in voting.

Otherwise they should also not be required to pay taxes, or beholden to the laws of said country. Norway's the right way.
    "no taxation without representation"

Republicans are just modern day loyalists.

Oh the irony.

Republicans think that the ability to vote should be a privilege but at the same time, if they actually required an educational test on anything important that would basically weed out anyone that would willingly vote for them.

Just require knowledge of the tax code be demonstrated based on the actual code and that alone would weed out anyone who would vote for them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    Kinda torn alittle on it. I personally don’t think convicted serial killers/pedos/rapists deserve voting rights.
    Minor crimes(drugs/theft/etc) are fine to retain rights.
    I am on the opposite end. Everyone old enough to join the armed services should have the right to vote, even if they are in prison.

It makes gerrymandering harder as those prisoners they looped into the sticks to give JimBob Hodunk more power can now vote too, it prevents you from abusing the prison system to keep people from voting and if you have so many prisoners that it impacts the results of an election that greatly, you already have bigger problems.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    what the fack? I have never seen a republican say we should lower the age to vote. I've seen plenty of left leaning people make that case, and it's always met with conservatives crying about how kids are not educated enough to make choices like that all while grandmas and grandpas with the mental capacities OF AN ACATUL CHILD still get to.
    Yeah, kids aren’t educated enough to vote…
    Then proceeds to try and prevent college educated people from voting because they thinking critically more often and try and learn about the world while trying to make sure that the must uneducated and gullible among us are the main voters they want.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Guns: more essential than voting according to Republicans. Toooootallly not a fascist party or anything.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis