Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Sexual or racial harassment unfortunately is a problem of our society not the problem of a distinct company. Women (and also men) are harrassed everywhere at work, at the sports club, at the night club, in public areas. The allegations described in the lawsuit don't seem very special to me. The secretary that pleases the boss almost is a cliché. Sexual interactions during business trips, x-mas parties or company trips probably happen every day. While some of them are consensual others are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Muxtar View Post
    These 'opinions on the internet' ruin people's careers and future, because way too many companies which are afraid of public reaction (and profit decrease), hurry to fire people 'in advance'. Most recent and vivid example is the case of Kael'Thas voice actor, which was fired immediately, but later it was clarified that accusations were false. And guess what? He didn't get his job or reputation back.
    It is not just 'opinions on the internet' at all.

Welp, if they are afraid of people's opinions on mmo-champion then that's just the way that it is. I'm not giving up my right to free speech because of how these gaming companies behave. So they'll just have to sort it out themselves.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Sider View Post
    Sexual or racial harassment unfortunately is a problem of our society not the problem of a distinct company. Women (and also men) are harrassed everywhere at work, at the sports club, at the night club, in public areas. The allegations described in the lawsuit don't seem very special to me. The secretary that pleases the boss almost is a cliché. Sexual interactions during business trips, x-mas parties or company trips probably happen every day. While some of them are consensual others are not.
    It looks like it's a big portion worse at blizzard as for example for my last company I worked for (very big internet IT company). There you need to constantly earn badges in sexual harassment prevention courses and so on. Employee integrity and respect and equality are their highest values. Those sex club or bl*w j*b Ratings are Kind of on another level. I think you can not compare these to other IT companies outside of the gaming industry. Sadly unequal payment is real everywhere
    Zorn | Vynd | Pheraz | Sylwina | Mondlicht | Eis | Blut | Emerelle - Plus 20 more...

I don't believe for a second that the co-founder of this company called Blizzard Entertainment was completely unaware of this shit going down.

However, they founded this company, fresh from college, with probably almost no professional experience worth mentioning. I can imagine they never really had any education regarding proper leadership skills etc. and approached their roles with complete naivety and generally lacked the maturity to be aware of what was needed from them as leadership and role models. That doesn't excuse anything. They had ample time to learn and grow, and apparently they didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Muxtar View Post
    These 'opinions on the internet' ruin people's careers and future, because way too many companies which are afraid of public reaction (and profit decrease), hurry to fire people 'in advance'. Most recent and vivid example is the case of Kael'Thas voice actor, which was fired immediately, but later it was clarified that accusations were false. And guess what? He didn't get his job or reputation back.
    It is not just 'opinions on the internet' at all.
    Spoken like someone who has never owned a business.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    Will you also stop playing Blizzard games though?
    Already have, deleted everything off my harddrive, even my older games like SC2. I won't ever give them another dime. Canceled D2R preorder and won't be playing D4. I actually put my money where my mouth is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jinpachi View Post
    Common courtesy? absolutely. Respect is a totally different thing. You have to actually do something worthy of respect to receive it. Respect goes above and beyond the golden rule.

- - - Updated - - -

Use some common fucking sense. re-read shit you don't initially understand instead of making a foolish post.

- - - Updated - - -

At what point did i ever say people should be harassed or threatened at work? There are rules against that behavior in workplaces, yes? So if it's going on then someone isn't "respecting" or abiding by the rules and should be fired.
    You use respect when you feel it fits your little viewpoint. I'd expect nothing less from someone who proudly uses Jinpachi as a role-model. Same as someone using Dexter. You see someone strong, unlike yourself, and want people online to view you that way and spout ignorant claims and opinions then backtrack meanings and definitions you yourself used a few posts up.

Go troll somewhere else, little man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Except it would only be "textbook" confirmation bias if I fully believed that a third spec was actually coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Inoculate View Post
    Already have, deleted everything off my harddrive, even my older games like SC2. I won't ever give them another dime. Canceled D2R preorder and won't be playing D4. I actually put my money where my mouth is.

- - - Updated - - -

You use respect when you feel it fits your little viewpoint. I'd expect nothing less from someone who proudly uses Jinpachi as a role-model. Same as someone using Dexter. You see someone strong, unlike yourself, and want people online to view you that way and spout ignorant claims and opinions then backtrack meanings and definitions you yourself used a few posts up.

That's completely fair, dude. And I respect your view point. I'm not really a paying customer at this juncture, so I can't comment.

I'll probably play Hades instead of Diablo 2 anyway. Feels like a fresher game, but let's see how it goes.

- - - Updated - - -

At this point, you might as well delete all games in some way linked to AAA development, really. And I don't mean this sarcastically or anything. This is an industry-wide problem, and just boycotting the latest company that had their shady crap revealed just serves to shift things around a little bit. It seems lately that they all have something going on, be it inhumane crunch, sexual harassments, whatnot. Putting money where the mouth is may be the only way, but it is probably best to only put that money into companies at this point that can somehow prove that they aren't like that and not give any of them the benefit of the doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    At this point, you might as well delete all games in some way linked to AAA development, really. And I don't mean this sarcastically or anything. This is an industry-wide problem, and just boycotting the latest company that had their shady crap revealed just serves to shift things around a little bit. It seems lately that they all have something going on, be it inhumane crunch, sexual harassments, whatnot. Putting money where the mouth is may be the only way, but it is probably best to only put that money into companies at this point that can somehow prove that they aren't like that and not give any of them the benefit of the doubt.
    Eh, that's a bit jumping the gun.

I'm not going to demonize Nintendo for making Breath of the Wild 2 on the basis that this is an 'industry wide problem'. We need to be careful to address problems when they are actually problems, and not just generalize the entire industry as some universally broken system.

'One bad apple can spoil the bunch' is not intrinsically true or applicable to the entire industry.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-07-26 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Eh, that's a bit jumping the gun.

I'm not going to demonize Nintendo for making Breath of the Wild 2 on the basis that this is an 'industry wide problem'. We need to be careful to address problems when they are actually problems, and not just generalize the entire industry as some universally broken system.

'One bad apple can spoil the bunch' is not intrinsically true or applicable to the entire industry.
    I also don't really agree with the notion that hitting the company in their pockets will do anything to change the corporate culture.

The only thing that will is the consistent speaking of truth to power, and holding those at the top accountable for their actions.

The culture in many industries needs addressing. Crunch, discrimination, etc etc. People need to be treated better.

7+ Year Old Account
    I also don't really agree with the notion that hitting the company in their pockets will do anything to change the corporate culture.

The only thing that will is the consistent speaking of truth to power, and holding those at the top accountable for their actions.

The culture in many industries needs addressing. Crunch, discrimination, etc etc. People need to be treated better.
    These problems have been running for years/decades in who knows how many companies and are rooted deep there. Can we even change that culture at this point?
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2021-07-26 at 07:53 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    These problems have been running for years/decades in who knows how many companies and are rooted deep there. Can we even change that culture at this point?
    Somehow it needs to change. Commoditising people is NOT cool, and maybe companies need the threat of collective bargaining.

7+ Year Old Account
    Somehow it needs to change. Commoditising people is NOT cool, and maybe companies need the threat of collective bargaining.
    Unionizing could help.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    This is a PR statement to placate those who think silence admits guilt, thats it.
    Except it really doesn't, in most cases, not anymore at least... so you have to wonder how deluded they and / or their advisors are, to think that such a move actually works in this day and age...

Yes, we can.

To pretend that none of this can change because it happens often is just being jaded because it's known and few things get changed.

But that doesn't mean change can happen, because it absolutely can given that there is enough awareness out and enough demand for it.

There is a case to enact change, especially if people become more aware of where they choose to be employed and what to look out for when deciding where to go. As someone who does work in the industry, news like this informs me and my recommendations to others of potential places of employment. Blizzard is a dream job for many people, and knowing that this shit has happened and has not been addressed will definitely hurt their public image in more than just the customers, but also those seeking employment at a top company.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDeeLyla View Post
    Except it really doesn't, in most cases, not anymore at least... so you have to wonder how deluded they and / or their advisors are, to think that such a move actually works in this day and age...
    No statement will ever be 100% agreeable to those who choose to believe they are not being genuine. They are also in no position to stay quiet and simply give no statement or no comment. That is the reality of it.

This is the *best case scenario* of the *worst possible situation* they are in. All they can do is damage control for anyone who is on the fence, but ready to judge any act of silence as an admission of guilt. Anyone who isn't on the fence would considered them guilty (or not guilty) regardless of what they say.

Their hand was already caught in the cookie jar. So admitting fault and taking responsibility for seeking to rectify the problem in the future is really all they can do.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-07-26 at 08:12 PM.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Council View Post
    isnt segregation considered racist/sexist these days?
    You would think, but for some, the answer has short of shifted to "It depends on who's calling for the segregation".

Apparently stock value wasn't affected at all:

"If you work on the understanding that the market value of a company is found through discovery of all information and data, the current price is arguably the effect the market has decided this law suit has on the company. That’s to say until more data is found or discovered.

Blizzard is only a portion of the whole business, but it’s clear the markets aren’t overly worried of any massive loss of subs / revenue at least in the medium term. Unfortunately for everyone here blizzard and activision are large enough to pay and make this go away under NDA."
    I wouldn't be surprised if people are speculating that people will be momentarily outraged but still funnel money, and things will just return to business as usual within a few months at absolute most, given the amount of blunders Blizz has gone through, both in and out of the games they produce.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    Mostly been playing FF14, Oxygen Not Included and some switch titles - AAA has been declining in terms of actual decent output lately and this is an industry wide issue, mostly, as you say. Until real change comes, I won't be touching anything Riot, Activision, EA, and the like produce.

It's a shame it took this suit to really inspire a big change and I hope it actually comes for the people affected and this isn't just another week of us rumbling and nothing actually comes of it which is my fear.

- - - Updated - - -

That's completely fair, dude. And I respect your view point. I'm not really a paying customer at this juncture, so I can't comment.

I'll probably play Hades instead of Diablo 2 anyway. Feels like a fresher game, but let's see how it goes.
    Hades is pretty solid, I'm more a Hollow Knight man myself - not really comparable to D2 but if you haven't tried it, I highly highly recommend it and the sequel (prequel?) is coming soon.

I get what you mean though, a lot of people are upset and still shelling money out to them which means that the stakeholders don't care what's being said, money is all they care about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Except it would only be "textbook" confirmation bias if I fully believed that a third spec was actually coming.

Mostly been playing FF14, Oxygen Not Included and some switch titles - AAA has been declining in terms of actual decent output lately and this is an industry wide issue, mostly, as you say. Until real change comes, I won't be touching anything Riot, Activision, EA, and the like produce.

It's a shame it took this suit to really inspire a big change and I hope it actually comes for the people affected and this isn't just another week of us rumbling and nothing actually comes of it which is my fear.

- - - Updated - - -

Hades is pretty solid, I'm more a Hollow Knight man myself - not really comparable to D2 but if you haven't tried it, I highly highly recommend it and the sequel (prequel?) is coming soon.

I get what you mean though, a lot of people are upset and still shelling money out to them which means that the stakeholders don't care what's being said, money is all they care about.
    Looking at my collection of games, there’s only FIFA from EA. Nothing from Activision. Ubisoft I have the Assassin’s Creed games. But I don’t do whale purchases, so there’s that. I’m boring to them.

7+ Year Old Account
    GhostCrawler on that Blizzcon answer 10y ago:

https://www.wowhead.com/news/ghostcr...lizzcon-323549

Quote Originally Posted by Berndorf View Post
    Welp, if they are afraid of people's opinions on mmo-champion then that's just the way that it is. I'm not giving up my right to free speech because of how these gaming companies behave. So they'll just have to sort it out themselves.
    No one asks you to give away freedom of speech. But that freedom should be used with responsibility, because it is people's lifes, not just some silly forum banter that will be forgotten next day. And you may as well appear on those people's seat soon enough. Mob lynching works that way, 'there must always be a bad guy' (c)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Spoken like someone who has never owned a business.
    Yep, I didn't own a business and don't want to. So what?