Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Skayth View Post
    But look at it.... why are we remaking what was loved by another and just not making something new?
    Large productions like Hollywood movies are huge investments. People don't want to take risks with their money so they lean on already established things because it guarantees you some level of safety due to the retention of the older audiences. Also, even if you fuck it up there will be a brigade of journalists writing apologia for you and gaslighting people into believing that nothing has really changed and that they're the problem for not liking it.
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    Large productions like Hollywood movies are huge investments. People don't want to take risks with their money so they lean on already established things because it guarantees you some level of safety due to the retention of the older audiences. Also, even if you fuck it up there will be a brigade of journalists writing apologia for you and gaslighting people into believing that nothing has really changed and that they're the problem for not liking it.
    Hollywood movies are a huge investment because every movie has to bring back at least double of what it's been made for and advertising.

Most movies I think are fun are now indie films that hardly cost to much. Yea sure, there are some movies I look forward too (dune) but that's cause their is someone behind it that I know they wont really fuck it up (blade runner 2049 director)

The problem is that they want to make 100 million at least in profits, and that's not feasible now. But they still expect it, so they will not do anything with new properties and just bank roll what franchises has known to make money and reboot failures.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspark View Post
    I was speaking generally, not about He-Man. Honestly, I found the original He-Man pretty boring and repetitive. Watched it a few times as a kid, none of it stuck with me, I can't even remember the story today. It was one of those stories you just weren't supposed to think much about I guess. As far as the new He-Man, I haven't seen it.

Mary Sue's have always been a thing, but they have been getting worse lately.
    Especially on shows from the 80s that were 20 minute toy commercials with more toy commercials in between

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skayth View Post
    Hollywood movies are a huge investment because every movie has to bring back at least double of what it's been made for and advertising.

Most movies I think are fun are now indie films that hardly cost to much. Yea sure, there are some movies I look forward too (dune) but that's cause their is someone behind it that I know they wont really fuck it up (blade runner 2049 director)

The problem is that they want to make 100 million at least in profits, and that's not feasible now. But they still expect it, so they will not do anything with new properties and just bank roll what franchises has known to make money and reboot failures.
    This isn't really fair.

Hollywood has made big investments into massive sci-fi blockbusters in recent years. Jupiter Ascending, Valerian and the City of A Thousand Planets, Cowboys vs Aliens, the Men In Black series, Speed Racer, Ender's Game, Avatar, RIPD, the Matrix trilogy. Some of those did well, some did not. Some deserved that, some did not.

And that's just looking at the big blockbuster ones. We've been arguably in a heyday of indie films alongside this, in the genre.

In fact, one of the biggest differences is that sci-fi and such get big budgets these days, when they almost never did. Even through the '80s and early '90s, big-budget sci-fi was rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    This isn't really fair.
    It's decently fair in the context of how the entertainment industry has changed over the years, especially when it comes to what gets green-lit and what doesn't.

Back roughly half a century ago (I feel old saying that now), the powers at be who bankrolled the entertainment were a bit more simple in terms what they had for expectations. In essence, it was a bit more Laissez-Faire. I have good friends who used to work in the industry back in the 80's for music and movies, and the observed general mentality from those controlling the purse strings was the following: "I don't get your music, but the young kids seem to like it. Just make me money!" That's it. Granted there's always exceptions, but there was more focus on what people actually enjoyed at wanted to see being produced. As such, more risks were taken, which is fairly evident by even the movies that were seen in the 70's to 90's, as well as through the early 2000's to some degree.

Fast forward to the last decade, and the mentality of those in control has shifted over time. While money is still important, the message is just as important... or potentially more important to the level that losing money is fine in some areas (especially if they're already insanely wealthy or can make it up elsewhere). Instead of trying to make content that people like, there's more of a trend to actively spite or attack existing fanbases. In the current social climate, everyone has to walk on eggshells as your 'allies' will easily devour you if you make one misstep, and this is no exception to the production companies and financiers. Instead of banking people who have the best chance to make the most entertaining content, companies feel forced to hire based upon superficial metrics (race, gender, etc.) versus their actual abilities. As such, there is much less chance anyone will take a financial risk when it comes to making new movies or entertainment media that may be 'controversial' or will be made by no-name people; in fact, chances are you will get a sanitized result that adheres to the 'proper' social messages of the day, resulting in different versions made for various regions that no one really likes. Again, this isn't a universal rule, as there has been some good content to come out as of late... but it is a general mainstream trend that has lead to rehashing old franchises or 'modernizing older franchises to be more acceptable' since creating new content could be risky financially and socially. The exceptions tend to be either indie films that aren't as beholden to the social structure of the industry, or big-name directors/producers who have the weight behind them to get what they want.

While the half-century old industry did have its problems, the comparatively relaxed restrictions of the time resulted in many great franchises and stand-alone content that have lasted and are still enjoyed/relevant to this day. However, I think the biggest key to the success and duration of older films and franchises is that their goal wasn't to attack/patronize it's viewers, it was to entertain them. No one wants to be embroiled in constant sociopolitical turmoil, especially when you go to your sources of entertainment for escape. The main reason much of the current entertainment content is bland, non-entertaining, or downright abrasive is exactly because it's not being made to entertain the masses, it's made as a platform to educate/indoctrinate and/or spite the fans.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    Fast forward to the last decade, and the mentality of those in control has shifted over time. While money is still important, the message is just as important... or potentially more important to the level that losing money is fine in some areas (especially if they're already insanely wealthy or can make it up elsewhere). Instead of trying to make content that people like, there's more of a trend to actively spite or attack existing fanbases. In the current social climate, everyone has to walk on eggshells as your 'allies' will easily devour you if you make one misstep, and this is no exception to the production companies and financiers. Instead of banking people who have the best chance to make the most entertaining content, companies feel forced to hire based upon superficial metrics (race, gender, etc.) versus their actual abilities. As such, there is much less chance anyone will take a financial risk when it comes to making new movies or entertainment media that may be 'controversial' or will be made by no-name people; in fact, chances are you will get a sanitized result that adheres to the 'proper' social messages of the day, resulting in different versions made for various regions that no one really likes. Again, this isn't a universal rule, as there has been some good content to come out as of late... but it is a general mainstream trend that has lead to rehashing old franchises or 'modernizing older franchises to be more acceptable' since creating new content could be risky financially and socially. The exceptions tend to be either indie films that aren't as beholden to the social structure of the industry, or big-name directors/producers who have the weight behind them to get what they want.
    This is literally conspiracy thinking. Hollywood is just looking to make a buck. Any messages they put out they think will resonate will their audiences. And largely, this is paid out. Despite various franchises being pilloried on this particular forum and other toxic corners of the internet, most of them did, financially, very well, if not outstanding. You may scoff at the Hunger Games - but millions of young, teenage girls went to go see that movie.

Your problem is that the audience has shifted in a way you don't care for. They're not catering to a niche audience any more (especially in genres which used to be very niche, like comics/sci-fi), just as they aren't with video games. And that's because they make more money that way.

But you have to go and see an agenda everywhere: the only agenda is money. And apparently no press is bad press.

I wonder if Geoffrey of Monmouth was accused of attacking the fans of King Arthur, or later mediaeval writers criticised for trying to inject their "modern" values into the older stories.

10+ Year Old Account
    no, things were better in older times, that's fact
    easy check is talk to any immigrant if u live in a 1st world country, if they came from a 3rd world, they won't miss their home even for 0.001 sec, my friend immigrated to usa and he can't find even 1 single thing in usa worse than egypt, he doesn't miss egypt a single bit, the country earned its rank as (3rd) WORST for a reason
    now ask a usa citizen if he miss older times, of course he will, in 80s usa was better for him than 2020 usa, for my friend 2020 usa is better than egypt any time, and for me egypt 80s is way better than egypt 2020
    So no, it isn't nostalgia or 'we are stupid and stuck', old time IS better for majority of ppl world, and easiest way to prove it ask immigrants, or for example average eastern europe if he miss his 90s that was full of riots and civil wars over current 2020 UK, majority of ppl sadly can't immigrate from shitholes fucked up countries to better ones
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Masters of the Universe 2021 was perfectly fine.

Could always cry over this one, instead.
    lol... I wonder how people are going to spin their irrational hatred of this one in a way that amounts to more than just "reboots, bad."

7+ Year Old Account
    Now apparently the new thing is the Scooby do new show without scooby do and self insert Velma, im sure it will be great and if it fails is always the fans fault because nostalgia
    Last edited by Syegfryed; 2021-08-24 at 02:14 AM.

Am I the only one disturbed by this weird abusive relationship millennials have with nostalgia? For a generation the speaks so loudly of the future, they seem to live in the past an awful lot.

Yeah, I get it, I had fun with those shows and games in the 90s too. They are iconic, sure. But why is that generation so beholden to those feelings of old? It's only going to lead to disappointment when you're exploited by big company 13 for the umpteenth time.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Selah View Post
    Am I the only one disturbed by this weird abusive relationship millennials have with nostalgia? For a generation the speaks so loudly of the future, they seem to live in the past an awful lot.

Yeah, I get it, I had fun with those shows and games in the 90s too. They are iconic, sure. But why is that generation so beholden to those feelings of old? It's only going to lead to disappointment when you're exploited by big company 13 for the umpteenth time.
    the problem is taking old stuff and making twisted new ones.

Speak about "future", but they don't make a new show, they take an old one that people liked/enjoyed, that already ahve a fanbase, of course it will cause a clash
    Last edited by Syegfryed; 2021-08-23 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Now apparently the new thing is the Scooby do new serious without scooby do and self insert Velma, im sure it will be great and if it fails is always the fans fault because nostalgia
    They've been making Scooby Doo shit pretty consistently for 50 years now. If you don't like the idea of a Velma spin-off, you can always just wait a week until the next regular Scooby Doo cartoon comes out...

Quote Originally Posted by Selah View Post

I mean, you answered your own question. These big companies just want to capitalize on what they see as easy money. Banking on "oh, I've heard of that, maybe I'll give it a shot" is a lot safer than trying something new. And on the other side, clickbait and outrage is easy cash for content creator culture warriors who make a living sitting in front of their wall of pop culture memorabilia... So it's just a vicious cycle.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2021-08-24 at 12:22 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    They've been making Scooby Doo shit pretty consistently for 50 years now. If you don't like the idea of a Velma spin-off, you can always just wait a week until the next regular Scooby Doo cartoon comes out...
    the problem is not that it will be a velma spin off, it will be a whole new bullshit using the old names, as they even said they will remove the dog.

I would not mind a spin-off about her, cause she is the only one with a brain in the group, but like that? wuush

10+ Year Old Account
    the problem is not that it will be a velma spin off, it will be a whole new bullshit using the old names, as they even said they will remove the dog.

I would not mind a spin-off about her, cause she is the only one with a brain in the group, but like that? wuush
    Reading up on it, it's a show about how Velma became a part of the Scooby gang. It's a prequel. And it isn't titled "Scooby Doo" in any way at all.

It isn't "Scooby Doo without Scooby", it's a Velma-focused prequel. What's the problem?

There's literally already been a Daphne and Velma movie without Scooby-Doo in it. I don't see how you're not just saying "I don't mind spin-offs, but it shouldn't be a spin-off!"

10+ Year Old Account
    This is a lot of nonsense just to actually say "yes, its nostalgia", tbh.

Also, if "things were better in older times," such immigrants should indeed miss the 90s, no matter the country, right? Those were the "older times" after all. And you called it a fact so...

what exactly a netflix show has to do with anything?
    there were bad shows in older times, and good shows too
    again if not clear, in general for most ppl older times were better that got a little worse, for exception (like immigrants from 3rd world countries or even 2nd world that suffered civil war in early 90s like half of eastern europe) they don't miss 'old times' because for them old times is worse than now
    And i really wonder what this netflix show has to do with anything?
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

10+ Year Old Account
    This is a lot of nonsense just to actually say "yes, its nostalgia", tbh.

Also, if "things were better in older times," such immigrants should indeed miss the 90s, no matter the country, right? Those were the "older times" after all. And you called it a fact so...

Could always cry over this one, instead.
    I agree. I really enjoyed the first 5 episodes and cannot wait for the next ones. I missed the drama surrounding it until after I watched the show, I wasnt even aware there was drama. I guess that's the blessing of not being on social media like twitter lol.

But I will say if there is any adaptation to be mad about that one there looks like it, but then again this one looks like it is aimed at a really younger audiences where the Masters of the Universe Revelation was aimed at old schools fans like myself. So thats fine... I will probably have my niece and nephew watch this new one. :P
    Last edited by Orby; 2021-08-24 at 08:28 AM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    There's literally already been a Daphne and Velma movie without Scooby-Doo in it. I don't see how you're not just saying "I don't mind spin-offs, but it shouldn't be a spin-off!"
    You don't see me talkign about then do you?

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Reading up on it, it's a show about how Velma became a part of the Scooby gang. It's a prequel. And it isn't titled "Scooby Doo" in any way at all.

It isn't "Scooby Doo without Scooby", it's a Velma-focused prequel. What's the problem?
    i didn't read it was a prequel, and where i saw the new it was not talk about being one at all, they said it was a new thing changing the characters in another as only the dog was missing

But like i said, i don't rly care, since i never liked the old ones, i just said if it fails they blame the old fans, business as usual

10+ Year Old Account
    At this point I see gatekeeping them against new publishers and creators, not new fans, as the healthiest option our of many worse alternatives.

The Critical Drinker has made a video on why this is a natural reaction to what's happening to many IPs these days.