Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
6
7
... LastLast
  1. #81
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    68,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    He's a name, that's about it. Netflix likes to tie well known names to bigger franchises because they think it'll give them clout. Ultimately Netflix doesn't care at all about the show or Kevin Smith, and he's the fall guy if people dislike the show because he produced it.

    My issue is that there's clearly been no oversight for a lot of shows on Netflix recently insofar as ensuring quality and being able to capture the largest audience possible. You'd think someone in their management would be familiar with the series and stepped in and told them to change it.
    Nah. The show's better than it has any reason to be.

    Unfortunately this show has damaged any good will from the old fans and Mattel has basically fucked the toy line because literally the first set of toys are all of characters that get offed in the first five episodes.
    It's 4 toys; Moss-man, He-man, Skeletor, and Evil Lyn. Of those, at the end of Episode 5, only Moss-Man is dead. And given that two had been dead and came back to life, "dead" is clearly not a permanent state.

    It's also Episode 5 of 10. The show's only half over.

    People were dunking on them on Twitter because of it, so it's clear that the fans are at least annoyed.
    Stop acting like you speak for "the fans". Plenty of us fans enjoyed this.


  2. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Plenty of us fans enjoyed this.
    Can confirm.

    We even got Alan Oppenheimer in there, that was pretty cool.

  3. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    I'm not american so I don't understand this kevin smith drama, never liked him, he was the side-character in clerks who never uttered a word, he likes to wear hockey shirts. What has he done since the 90s up to this he-man business? I don't get it, why is this guy famous n why do netflix care about him??
    Kevin Smith reached out across the internet and shamed me into not wearing white shirts.


    FULL DISCLOSURE: I haven’t watched the new He-man because I didn’t like it much when I was a kid. Nostalgia’s over-rated. Is it funnier than MODOK?

  4. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Kevin Smith reached out across the internet and shamed me into not wearing white shirts.


    FULL DISCLOSURE: I haven’t watched the new He-man because I didn’t like it much when I was a kid. Nostalgia’s over-rated. Is it funnier than MODOK?
    Inb4 someone cries about how Kevin Smith would be cancelled if he said this today and how that's an indictment of how far cancel culture has come.

  5. #85
    It's not gatekeeping so much as fatigue from the entertainment industry being creatively bankrupt. When you have an active fanbase for something who wins by remaking it into something different? Make a new franchise instead of shitting on the ones we grew up with.

    Edit: I'm not specifically talking about he-man here - that was fine other than the ham-fisted writing for teelah in ep 1.
    Last edited by oplawlz; 2021-07-26 at 07:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

  6. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    It's not gatekeeping so much as fatigue from the entertainment industry being creatively bankrupt. When you have an active fanbase for something who wins by remaking it into something different? Make a new franchise instead of shitting on the ones we grew up with.
    I 100% agree. It's why I'm also so tired of the perpetual stream of high fantasy MMOs and RPGs. I mean, do something new.
    Last edited by Valkyrst; 2021-07-26 at 07:40 PM.

  7. #87
    Titan Syegfryed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Darkshore, Killing Living and Dead elves
    Posts
    12,941
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Not really opposite. Teela was always a competent but headstrong soldier with a tendency for rash actions which seems in keeping with the new series, and MOTU Revelations is finally exploring two of the original series unresolved issues - how will Teela respond when she finds out all the people closest to her were keeping a major secret and when will she come into her powers as the daughter of the sorceress? Even the 2001 series was cancelled before it got to the bottom of these questions.
    I don't rly thing Teele that i knew, the headstrong soldier would bitch that much about for a secret that she even had to make a KAren haircut.

    She was not an angry teen, i get the thing about daughter of the sorceress was a great plot to explore, but they did drop the ball with her characterization

    My biggest issue with the series is the fact they've Benjamin Buttoned Prince Adam. Every other characters seems to have got a bit older while he's gone from adulthood to a teenager, more like the 2001 series than the original.
    They have to, so he don't 'steal" the spotlight, cause everyone wanted to see a series about him

    Like i said previously, the major problem here was the marketing, they sold a he-man series, but they didn't delivered, if they said since the beginning it was something new, exploring other characters people would be more open
    Last edited by Syegfryed; 2021-07-26 at 08:31 PM.

  8. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    I don't rly thing Teele that i knew, the headstrong soldier would bitch that much about for a secret that she even had to make a KAren haircut.

    She was not an angry teen, i get the thing about daughter of the sorceress was a great plot to explore, but they did drop the ball with her characterization
    Did you miss the part where two of her best friends had just died as she discovered they and the rest of the people closest to her had been keeping a massive secret from her? The series does a pretty good job of explaining her statebof mind when she meets with Adam in the champion's paradise.

    They have to, so he don't 'steal" the spotlight, cause everyone wanted to see a series about him
    What?

    Like i said previously, the major problem here was the marketing, they sold a he-man series, but they didn't delivered, if they said since the beginning it was something new, exploring other characters people would be more open
    I'm guessing you didn't watch the original series much. He-Man has a similar problem to Superman, he's too powerful and once he shows up there's pretty much no tension any more because he can just punch or throw rocks at the problem until it stops being a problem. Most of the episodes that have any sort of stakes usually revolve around keeping He-Man out of the action, he's really far away or Adam lost his sword or has to eat a big dinner or something. As a series with a progressive story it makes sense they won't just introduce He-Man early and have him punch Skeletor and throwing rocks for the next 7 episodes.

    Besides exploring Eternia post-He-man and Skeletor was brilliant. Seeing how the villains scattered and their attitudes to each other was great, especially Tri-Klops and Whiplash blaming magic for their previous issues and making the Cult Mechanicus.

  9. #89
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    68,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Besides exploring Eternia post-He-man and Skeletor was brilliant. Seeing how the villains scattered and their attitudes to each other was great, especially Tri-Klops and Whiplash blaming magic for their previous issues and making the Cult Mechanicus.
    Also, frankly, how once the Sword of Power was out of the picture, there was no reason for many of the villains to even fight, and it turned out they weren't that different from the heroes.

    I'd lay money Evil Lyn's gonna betray Skeletor in the final 5 eps. Especially if this turns into a "why would I need you when I've already won" kind of deal for Skeletor.

    Also, the only real difference with Adam was that he's physically less imposing. And the only reason he looked exactly like He-Man in the original cartoon was because that way they didn't need new molds just for Adam, they could just use the same body molds as every other male character. Y'know, the same reason Skeletor's a beefcake with a skull face, rather than a full skeleton. He isn't de-aged; the original Adam was exactly like this. If anything, whinier and more useless. And at least now it's believable when nobody recognizes Adam as He-Man, where before, He-Man is just Adam with his shirt off.


  10. #90
    I don't know if it is gatekeeping as much as headcanon. Once those shows were off the air we still had the toys. We continued the stories and played out new scenarios in our imaginations that were just as real as anything we had seen. Even if you do not recall those whimsical tales... you envisioned something different than what is being shown. That disconnect feels like a retcon and no one likes a retcon. It changes the way you see the past material... and if those were happy memories then you become extremely defensive of those memories.

    For some it may be the last times they felt truly safe... shining a light on it now and exposing it as lie causes the same amount of grief as a personal loss. Those raw emotions... coming from a place buried deep inside all of us is difficult to channel or put into words. So naturally people lash out... they aren't sure why they don't like it but they know something is wrong. People tend to pick up and fixate on little things that don't sit right.

    Using MotU as an example. Every 22 minute episode featured He-Man overcoming a challenge. If each episode of the new show does not follow that exact format there is going to be outrage. If every episode doesn't feature He-Man front and center there is going to be outrage. If an episode ends without a little moral lesson at the end... you got it outrage. As an adult you know these are petty nitpicky things... it may even be subconscious... as a child who grew up with these stories you notice when these things are different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

  11. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Besides exploring Eternia post-He-man and Skeletor was brilliant. Seeing how the villains scattered and their attitudes to each other was great, especially Tri-Klops and Whiplash blaming magic for their previous issues and making the Cult Mechanicus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Also, frankly, how once the Sword of Power was out of the picture, there was no reason for many of the villains to even fight, and it turned out they weren't that different from the heroes.
    Actually one of my fave things about the new series was this exploration. And it couldn't happen without He-Man's absence.
    Last edited by UnifiedDivide; 2021-07-27 at 02:36 PM.

  12. #92
    IMO most of those reboots of old franchises are done because the companies are afraid of risk by creating a new IP and instead try to milk an old one.
    The problematic parts are:
    Not caring about the original fans and even insulting them, a sure-fire way to loose customers.
    Not caring about the original theme of those shows. Subversion or outright destruction of the old themes serves no purpose other than pleasing the new managers ego.
    Twisting or changing old, established characters for no other reason than to 'be more inclusive' is reducing them to token characters and is an insult to both old fans and the targeted new audience.
    Add to that the queer baiting that so many new shows include. They like to hint on there being something more but never dare to show anything.

    The new MotU: Revelation does all these things.
    Kevin Smith lied when Clownfish TV brought up the first rumours and gaslighted them only to later be proud of doing all the things listed in the leak. Insulting fans and lying about his connection to the old show.
    As it is with these deconstructive 'new and daring' shows the old order of things has to die, crumble and make way for new things. The harsher and more gruesome the better, or so they think. Characters are warped, almost ending as parodies of the older versions, just to shit on the old stuff.
    Seriously, who do they think is happy about them race-swapping characters?
    Or the longing, lingering looks Teela and Andra exchange, but never dare to say it outright.

    The only 2 good things this show has is the animation and most of the voice acting. But everything else ... even after cleaning out the audience score it is at 33% at RT for a reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.

  13. #93
    Legendary! unfilteredJW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Seagrove Beach, FL
    Posts
    6,690
    Quote Originally Posted by segara82 View Post
    The only 2 good things this show has is the animation and most of the voice acting. But everything else ... even after cleaning out the audience score it is at 33% at RT for a reason.
    I fucking loved it but I didn't feel the need to go to RT and click.

    It's just funny to me moments into the second episode I knew the usual turds were going to come out in force. Prophetic.
    Last edited by unfilteredJW; 2021-07-28 at 01:11 AM.
    Blessed are the fornicates, may we bend down to be their whores. Blessed are the rich, may our labor deliver them more.
    Blessed are the envious; bless the slothful, the wrathful, the vain. Blessed are the gluttonous, may they feast us to famine and war.
    What of the pious, the pure of heart, the peaceful, the meek, the mourning, and the merciful? All doomed, all doomed

  14. #94
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    68,696
    Quote Originally Posted by segara82 View Post
    The only 2 good things this show has is the animation and most of the voice acting. But everything else ... even after cleaning out the audience score it is at 33% at RT for a reason.
    That reason is "brigading". Not legitimate audience response. There's a reason hundreds of negative reviews will pop up for something like this within minutes, and sometimes even before, it's released.


  15. #95
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    I 100% agree. It's why I'm also so tired of the perpetual stream of high fantasy MMOs and RPGs. I mean, do something new.
    I think a big issue is that different crowds want new things while others want the same thing repackaged, and sometimes they overlap without knowing it.

    Take The Mandalorian. Look, I liked it a lot. But is it really something new? Guy who looks like Boba Fett going on adventures with baby Yoda, with season 2 especially laying on the cameos of previously beloved characters? Using the now extremely well trodden trope of the stoic badass learning to open up thanks to an adorable child sidekick? The Mandalorian is a lot of things, something new isn't it if you ask me, but it's still the most widely liked Star Wars iteration probably since the end of the original trilogy, and believe you me that show wouldn't have gotten made or obtained any recognition had it not been for the Star Wars brand power.

    What new IP in the last, fuck, let's go with twenty years has had the sheer popularity of the MCU? Fast and Furious? Transformers movies? Even individually very successful movies like Avatar were cliché to an extreme. The formulaic stuff is rewarded with the most money. That's the message executives get. Games fare a bit better there, some giant IPs have risen from very little... but often by aping up existing genres and conventions. LoL and DOTA 2 got big because of a WC3 mod. Path of Exile is Diablo 2.5. Fortnite was the first BR that didn't suck balls. So on and so forth. People like familiarity and brand power's a big thing. Even the indie industry is hit by that, where it feels like "creativity" is mostly doing your own version of Minecraft, Dark Souls and/or Hollow Knight.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

  16. #96
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    I think a big issue is that different crowds want new things while others want the same thing repackaged, and sometimes they overlap without knowing it.

    Take The Mandalorian. Look, I liked it a lot. But is it really something new? Guy who looks like Boba Fett going on adventures with baby Yoda, with season 2 especially laying on the cameos of previously beloved characters? Using the now extremely well trodden trope of the stoic badass learning to open up thanks to an adorable child sidekick? The Mandalorian is a lot of things, something new isn't it if you ask me, but it's still the most widely liked Star Wars iteration probably since the end of the original trilogy, and believe you me that show wouldn't have gotten made or obtained any recognition had it not been for the Star Wars brand power.

    What new IP in the last, fuck, let's go with twenty years has had the sheer popularity of the MCU? Fast and Furious? Transformers movies? Even individually very successful movies like Avatar were cliché to an extreme. The formulaic stuff is rewarded with the most money. That's the message executives get. Games fare a bit better there, some giant IPs have risen from very little... but often by aping up existing genres and conventions. LoL and DOTA 2 got big because of a WC3 mod. Path of Exile is Diablo 2.5. Fortnite was the first BR that didn't suck balls. So on and so forth. People like familiarity and brand power's a big thing. Even the indie industry is hit by that, where it feels like "creativity" is mostly doing your own version of Minecraft, Dark Souls and/or Hollow Knight.
    Everything Is A Remix.


  17. #97
    Titan
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    America's Hat
    Posts
    13,473
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That reason is "brigading". Not legitimate audience response. There's a reason hundreds of negative reviews will pop up for something like this within minutes, and sometimes even before, it's released.
    This lie is so obvious. You all used it when people shit on Star Wars, Ghostbusters 2016 and Birds of Prey. Can you not just accept that people dislike things in a lot larger numbers than those who like it instead of crying that people are intentionally being negative to artifically reduce audience scores? Just take the L and move on. Because you seem to think that your little echo chamber of people who like the garbage that Hollywood keeps crapping out speaks for the majority all the time, when in reality the people who care the most are the majority. And if you ever try to use critic scores to rationalize your bias, that's just sheer naivety on your part because we know that 90% of reviewers have some sort of bias.

  18. #98
    Scarab Lord Skorpionss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    4,078
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    l
    I liked it personally. I wasnt even aware there was even controversy over it until after I binged watched it... the blessing of not being on social media I guess. So, like most controversies I have no ides what people are complaining about but seeing who the star of the show is I can probably guess lol. which is why the show was called Masters of the Universe and not He-Man Masters of the Universe.

    this guy makes videos about being angry about the most mundane things... Its so much effort and energy.
    The guy literally reviews movies and tv shows for a living, and is usually pretty level headed when making them, not just making it for the clickbait, that's what his channel is about, he doesn't only review those he likes because he'd not have enough content to release...

  19. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    The guy literally reviews movies and tv shows for a living, and is usually pretty level headed when making them, not just making it for the clickbait, that's what his channel is about, he doesn't only review those he likes because he'd not have enough content to release...
    After going through his most recent videos I call bullshit. His entire schtick is outrage for clicks.

  20. #100
    Titan Orby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Essex, England
    Posts
    11,173
    Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    The guy literally reviews movies and tv shows for a living, and is usually pretty level headed when making them, not just making it for the clickbait, that's what his channel is about, he doesn't only review those he likes because he'd not have enough content to release...
    erm, no, are you sure we're talking about the same guy? He comes across as another Quartering wannabe (before Quartering became the outrage drama channel). Another alt-right manchild creator disguised as a 'critic' complaining about stuff that caters to other man-child to validate their lower IQ opinions. There are loads of people like that who keep appearing in my recommended for some reason, like that YellowFlash guy... Seriously these people need to get a different hobby. All this hate and anger cannot be good for the blood pressure.
    Proof is boring. Proof is tiresome. Proof is irrelevance. People would rather be handed an easy lie than search for a difficult truth, especially when it suits their own purpose.
    - Glokta
    The Last Argument of Kings, The First Law Trilogy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •