Page 18 of 43 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Soimu View Post
    I am playing it right now. For me WOW is way better but am just bored of it. To each their own.
    Maybe the end game content and raids are better but i don't care about that stuff that much anymore. I am mostly talking about the way the world, combat, quests and some other stuff feels.
    Here is the problem. You played WoW for too long. You instinctively reject anything that doesn't work exactly like WoW.

This is a problem many of us have adapting to FF. It takes time. You are too used to the way WoW plays. This is not WoW. You do not rush to end game. The journey matters here and is the meat of the experience. The end-game is not a daily grind that will give you a chore everyday. It is something you can end in 6 weeks (depending on your group and not including ultimates). End-game in FF is everything. It is not one single thing. It is professions, it's PvP, it's fishing, it's triple triad, it's chocobo racing, it's eureka, it's bozja, it's leveling your trust, It's roulettes, It's ishgard restoration, it's housing, etc.
    This is not WoW. The game is not designed to chore you up to having to log in everyday in an endless power grind and do some horribly boring and unrewarding piece of content. FF tells you to go an do whatever you find fun... or don't. Taking a break and just coming back for the next story patch is also fine. The game is not an addiction. It's a passion.
    If you don't get used to what this game is doing, you will not enjoy it and that is completely on you.

Sure, maybe you honestly don't like it. But, unless the art style just simply isn't your thing or you truly don't care about story (and therefore this is not the game for you), i don't know how anyone can think the game isn't good.

I will use a few examples like: "oh no, it doesn't auto dismount me when i want to attack a mob". Who said this was a requirement? The game doesn't have mounted combat (who knows in the future) so it makes perfect sense to get out of your mount before you can attack. You just got used to it being that way. Nowhere was it decided it must work that way.

Also: "oh no the questing is not nearly as good as WoW. It's all looting 3 things or killing 3 mobs". Sure, but WoW's questing is based on gameplay, not story. You get some cinematic after you clear a zone. That is dozens and dozens of quests. Many way more boring that rather than 3 objectives require you to do 10, 15, etc. It's padding out the length of the experience.
    FF doesn't work like that. FF questing is just a bit of a break and context to the story being told. They are the break between your story. They are there to make you travel the world. They do not need to be super creative, they need to be non-intrusive.
    Sure, more variety wouldn't hurt, but these quests aren't the meat of the experience, the story is.

Different games that do different things.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2021-08-06 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    If it's intelligently designed and engaging, then it can be.
    Out of 17 years of raids, what trash is actually intelligently designed and engaging?

Also having items that drop from trash is...just...I mean okay? You could also just put them on bosses and have them drop more items.

In the case of the former raid, there's even optional bosses and the choice of doing some in varying orders each weekly clear.
    That was also 13 and 14 years ago and hasn't really been done since.

I never said there wasn't any good trash. I said the claim that trash is somehow difficult is ridiculous and in the vast, vast majority of cases it's just a way to pad out time. Especially trash that respawns.

We're also having two different conversations competing with one another now because FF14 raids DO have trash, people were originally speaking about the set of four, one boss fights that come out on odd patches.
    Last edited by Drindorai; 2021-08-06 at 03:33 AM.

1: Game respects my time.
    2: Story stole my soul, help!

Big shout out to #1, where I can play every class on the same character. So everything is basically "account wide" compared to WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Chumahki View Post
    Yes, a minor upgrade from EverQuest. WoW has massively improved and grown since then. FFXIV still feels like a 2005 game. It's UI is horrible and not very customizable. "Oh, you can customize so much of it!", some d-bag will say. No, you can't. You can move some stuff around on the screen. It's about as customizable as SWTOR. EverQuest, actually, was more customizable than FFXIV. And it's clunky and laggy. "Oh, its not lag, you just have to get used to it!", some d-nozzle will say. No, if things don't happen in a timely manner when pressed, it's laggy. Whether that lag is network, game code, animation lock, or anything else, there is a lag between pressing the button and the execution of the action. That' f'n lag. Some people like FFXIV, that's fine, some people like enemas, too. I'm just not one of those people.
    Damn, way to completely ignore the point and read exactly what you want to read, opposed to what was said. You in the olympics?

Quote Originally Posted by Drindorai View Post
    Out of 17 years of raids, what trash is actually intelligently designed and engaging?

Also having items that drop from trash is...just...I mean okay? You could also just put them on bosses and have them drop more items.
    If we're talking immersion, then there's just some things that other MMO's do better when it comes to raiding than what FFXIV brings to the table. I've long since stopped playing WoW, though I'll always have fond memories of how interesting some of the raids were in terms of exploration and depth.

FFXIV's raids get old to me very quickly by comparison. There's no secret bosses. No secret rooms to explore. Each fight just takes place in a giant circular arena most of the time. They're very flashy looking, don't get me wrong, but it just lacks that extra special something that rounds them all out in a way I find appealing.

The 24 man raids are a little better, but still run into many of the same problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Yzak View Post
    I have to ask wth you think customization is then, because you can literally change the bars from a 1x12 to 2x6, 3x4, 4x3, 6x2, and 12x1 layout. You can actively turn whichever bar you want on or off, modify the size of each bar, move them wherever you want, turn the chat window completely off as well as the map, make collapsible hotbars, and arrange them however you want. Literally everything can be adjusted. What exactly is customization to you?
    Truly a good point. The majority of people's "customization" from their UI is downloading ELVui and moving things around how they want. Boss mods and DPS meters aren't UI customizations they're tools to play the game, and gather information. FFXIV has built in ELVui as their default, pretty big win over WoW's default UI imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    FFXIV's raids get old to me very quickly by comparison. There's no secret bosses. No secret rooms to explore. Each fight just takes place in a giant circular arena most of the time. They're very flashy looking, don't get me wrong, but it just lacks that extra special something that rounds them all out in a way I find appealing.
    FF14 clearly does this but the way they do is in the boss fight itself. When you have phase changes and something totally and wholly unexpected happens (Almost always tied in with the story---because the story is king in this game) and it blows your mind.

Without spoiling stuff I think the Shiva Eden fight is one of the best MMORPG boss fights I've ever done from a visual, story, and music perspective. The stuff they do when they transition phases and what different parts of the fight means with the music is just phenomenal.

I'll take that any day of the week rather than a 8 week long quest chain you have to grind out so that you can summon an undead Dragon in Karazhan. Whose story is unimpressive and kind of stretched out expecting you to hope for some big reveal and then it's just really nothing.

I will also once again point out that stuff like this has not been in the game for a long time. I should be clear that my statement is not a judgment value on what the old stuff was. Nightbane was cool, at the time. Stuff like opening up a door into a hidden boss in Scarlet Monastery (Even though he did virtually nothing) was cool, at the time. But there were very few things to compare those to, at the time.

Not only does WoW really not do this anymore but I think the manner in which FF14 employs a similar idea (Which is why people are almost always excited when savage and extreme fights come out) but does so in its fights and I enjoy them more. Or at least I remember them more fondly.
    Last edited by Drindorai; 2021-08-06 at 03:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drindorai View Post
    FF14 clearly does this but the way they do is in the boss fight itself. When you have phase changes and something totally and wholly unexpected happens (Almost always tied in with the story---because the story is king in this game) and it blows your mind.

Without spoiling stuff I think the Shiva Eden fight is one of the best MMORPG boss fights I've ever done from a visual, story, and music perspective. The stuff they do when they transition phases and what different parts of the fight means with the music is just phenomenal.

I'll take that any day of the week rather than a 8 week long quest chain you have to grind out so that you can summon an undead Dragon in Karazhan. Whose story is unimpressive and kind of stretched out expecting you to hope for some big reveal and then it's just really nothing.

I will also once again point out that stuff like this has not been in the game for a long time.
    This is true. If WoW could copy FFXIV's story design.. It'd be huge, to say the least.

Mechagnome
    7+ Year Old Account
    Big fan of how classes are mostly consistent. I feel rewarded for memorizing my 20+ button openers. Nailing it took work to build into muscle memory and now it feels good just to do. Every single button.

Where as in wow I feel like 18 of those buttons are waved away, dismissed as "artificial complexity" in favor of some hideously unsatisfying 4 button rotation that gets replaced with some other unsatisfying 4 button rotation every expansion and classes retain nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Beastiel View Post
    Big fan of how classes are mostly consistent. I feel rewarded for memorizing my 20+ button openers. Nailing it took work to build into muscle memory and now it feels good just to do. Every single button.

Where as in wow I feel like 18 of those buttons are waved away, dismissed as "artificial complexity" in favor of some hideously unsatisfying 4 button rotation that gets replaced with some other unsatisfying 4 button rotation every expansion and classes retain nothing.
    WoW keeps combat buttons comprehensible and keeps a number of utility buttons like Stampeding Roar, Demonic Gateway, Death Grip, crowd control both short (stuns, slowdowns, fears) and long, dispels and so on. In comparison, FFXIV just bloats DPS rotation (for melee 9-10 buttons are just combos that are always pressed in the same order). There is no space for some clutch buttons or intelligent gameplay in design, you're just going through motions every fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Quote Originally Posted by Yzak View Post
    I have to ask wth you think customization is then, because you can literally change the bars from a 1x12 to 2x6, 3x4, 4x3, 6x2, and 12x1 layout. You can actively turn whichever bar you want on or off, modify the size of each bar, move them wherever you want, turn the chat window completely off as well as the map, make collapsible hotbars, and arrange them however you want. Literally everything can be adjusted. What exactly is customization to you?
    Inventory, bank, auction house, maps, tooltips, character screen, chat, the list goes on. It's not just changing the size or the position, it's changing the look and behavior. Bars are just a tiny little bit of a ui. I hardly use actual bars on my screen, most things are weakauras. SWTOR was the same way: they said you could customize but they just meant move some things around. That's just not enough for me. I do not play with the default WoW UI. If WoW disabled addons I would immediately unsub because the default ui is horrid.

And, yes, DBM and Recount are part of the UI. They are part of the user interface...I how interact with the game. Not even having a DPS meter is pretty ridiculous; you can't evaluate your own performance and it's more difficult to identify the dead weight holding you back. ElvUI is a great starting point, but there is a whole lot more to configure to get a truly workable UI, imo. I just could not get the FFXIV ui to work for me, it was just too limited and clunky.

And, as a healer, I've used mouseover for decades. Mouseover does not work properly in FFXIV because it doesn't queue properly. So you either lose efficiency of have to click heal. Ahh, I miss 1999...

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    WoW keeps combat buttons comprehensible and keeps a number of utility buttons like Stampeding Roar, Demonic Gateway, Death Grip, crowd control both short (stuns, slowdowns, fears) and long, dispels and so on. In comparison, FFXIV just bloats DPS rotation (for melee 9-10 buttons are just combos that are always pressed in the same order). There is no space for some clutch buttons or intelligent gameplay in design, you're just going through motions every fight.
    I think somewhere between WoW and FFXIV would be great. WoW combat is way too easy and FFXIV combat way too hard.

FF 14 is vastly superior to anything WoW has to offer except the PVP.

FF 14 has better casual/intermediate and expert level content, the gold saucer alone absolutely blows away anything that WoW has to offer in minigames and collections.

The Samurai class and rotation is probably the most satisfying thing i have ever played in a MMORPG.

With Endwalker fast approaching it should put the final nail in the coffin for all but the most addict of WoW players or strict PVP players.

The old content is not dead, there is no real reason to rush to the end. But the story drives you forward. Great design overal. The community is also really forgiving and to eventually enter the endgame content you have a smaller barrier than in WoW. I feel like I can take my time in FFXIV which is great, in WOW I always feel like there is someking of shopping list I have to check off, if I wanted to keep up.

It’s long because it needs to be to create a satisfying build up and release. It’s like a song. I like that once you master it, it’s rewarding to have a sense of mastery of it, which is something I felt was missing from WoW. I actually find rotations to be far more satisfying, though I’d prefer combat to be like 25% faster.

I don’t disagree combat has room for improvement, but I don’t think long rotations is an area it really needs it. It’s serving a purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    It’s long because it needs to be to create a satisfying build up and release. It’s like a song. I like that once you master it, it’s rewarding to have a sense of mastery of it, which is something I felt was missing from WoW. I actually find rotations to be far more satisfying, though I’d prefer combat to be like 25% faster.

I don’t disagree combat has room for improvement, but I don’t think long rotations is an area it really needs it. It’s serving a purpose.
    Thankfully I can quote myself.
    This also leads to pushing the same set of buttons in the same order all the time. Design like this is better in some games like Osu or Dance Dance Revolution, but in MMORPG quickly causes boredom.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by james2400 View Post
    FF 14 is vastly superior to anything WoW has to offer except the PVP.

FF 14 has better casual/intermediate and expert level content, the gold saucer alone absolutely blows away anything that WoW has to offer in minigames and collections.

The Samurai class and rotation is probably the most satisfying thing i have ever played in a MMORPG.

With Endwalker fast approaching it should put the final nail in the coffin for all but the most addict of WoW players or strict PVP players.
    People has different tastes, you know. Not every wow player who quits wow won't play FFXIV. Probably not even a majority of them.
    Hi

The sprout icon.

Im three quests away from losing it and im already super sad. I am the worst whitemage in this game. If you dont believe me ask my poor co-healer who had to raise me 5 times in the Tsuyu fight because i didnt understand that nightfall is not a stack marker (to be fair, nor did the dps who kept blowing the hell up - or maybe no one understood its a line marker and were too busy dodging the fans... point is, i was in a terrible group and i definitely pulled my weight in making it terrible). I need that marker to fish for commendations... At the start of every dungeon i get to say 'first time here! Anything i should know?' knowing full well no one will say more than 'lets do this!' (i play on japanese servers)
    Then when i actually holy and assize trash mobs, everyone is mad impressed. If no one dies in the boss fights, with that little sprout on my head, i get showered with commendations, easy. Its so validating!

If i make a character on a new server, it comes back, right? Theres an unofficial oceanic server in the JP data server, i have a THM at level 25 on it. I switched to my current server because... i dont know why? I think i just wanted to start again after getting my head around it. If i switch back to her, i can be a sprout again? Obviously i'll make her a healer... I love being a sprout. Everyone is so lovely to my massive screw ups.

ETA: Im only half joking. Im going to miss my sprout icon. But we're all in this together in shadowbringers. But if i do get it back by switching servers... i might just have a second play through on my aura instead of leveling jobs on my current main.
    Last edited by ippollite; 2021-08-06 at 09:09 AM.

Thankfully I can quote myself.
    Yeah... but that is true for the other variant as well.
    I'm less bored by my SAM rotation than I am with my MM/BM rotation.

The order almost doesn't matter.
    It's when and how often you press them. When my fingers dance around the keyboard in FFXIV, it surely feels better than when I don't and only use 1-4/5 96% of the time.

Fights where I don't need my interrupt/trap/roots in WoW are more boring than fights in FFXIV where I simply do my rotation and positionals. That's probably why I usually enjoy M+ more than Raids.

At the same time, when I'm playing for 2 hours and chain try after try in FFXIV, my fingers start to hurt.

Another thing that feels rewarding with FFXIV way of doing things.
    You can immediatly tell if you did something better than last time, and you don't even need a parser for that.
    That's kinda rewarding to feel/see when you progress on encounters.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2021-08-06 at 09:56 AM.

The Lightbringer Archmage Alodi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Started playing the game last night, walking through Limsa Lominsa and seeing all those people with cool armors screwing around (Someone was playing Bella Ciao with harp and people were dancing lol) reminded me of the first time I walked into Orgrimmar.
    THE HORDE WILL ENDURE
    THE HORDE IS STRONG!