Page 42 of 47 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Albertacanady View Post
    Some of the solo content is fun and I got addicted to some of the challenges inside raids. But the combat feels very clunky and for the most part the game gets you addicted through misery and not fun. WoW combat is really good and that's why even grinding can be fun at times but in FF that's just not the case. Ofcourse the endgame community in FF is beyond cringe and disgusting though; we need the elites from WoW to come offer us something to inspire to. If I have to be completely honest with myself I was just addicted to FF (the mmo before it) and I was so addicted that the only thing I could relate to was FFXIV and so I kept playing FFXIV - rarely enjoying it.

Here is what I am talking about:
    https://ffxivthebalancediscorddrama....subreddit.html

https://youtu.be/MHNz7VSHRgw
    What you're trying to do is kinda obvious and quite obnoxious

So assuming this is the current negative thread... in my very drunken state... i am stupidly confused by 5.4.

I mean, i get it. I actually dont get it. For some reason im solving limsa lominsa stuff. ...I, er... dont entirely get it. Im back to being a lvl 10 gopher.
    Gopher this quest objective. Gopher this quest objective.

Its natsukashii as hell. But im kinda beyond it, right? Perhaps it'll be explained. Because right now, im very confuzzled.

ETA: I like the storyline. Dont get me wrong. But it feels like the tiniest of potatoes. Pirates yarring is great. But i just defeated hades... and then a shadow of our favorite npc. Now im solving limsa's internal politics... its a step down, right? Even if its a really fun storyline.

Im not totally irritated. Its fine. But its really... not jarring... but something else? Tangential? Its gonna pay off though... if i pay attention to my very mild irritation, theres gonna be a point to this? And its not just the lominsan's getting along with everyone. Its deeper? Right? Katchii, i missed something again? Theres a point to this...(just tell me if i did - not what specifically i missed).
    Last edited by ippollite; 2021-10-10 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ippollite View Post
    Its gonna pay off though... if i pay attention to my very mild irritation, theres gonna be a point to this?
    I think it's just part of the lead in to wrapping everything up in EW. Unfortunately, no, there is no payoff if you don't care about the relations between the Beast Tribes and the City-States.
    "People with depression score higher on tests of realism. Intelligence is positively correlated with mental illness and suicide. What this indicates is that if the mind understands too much about reality, it wants to destroy itself. Human life is existential horror."

FFXIV is a fun and interesting game I like playing it. But the real problem is the Balance Discord and the ffxiv reddit discord to an extent. Balance discord mods are the same people who gatekeep the entire endgame community. The are some of the worst most miserable people on the planet and a majority of them are beyond disgusting when you get to know them.
    Not a single time did anyone from some obscure discord server show up during our progression this expansion and gatekept us, how would they even be able to enforce that?? If there's something on the Internet you don't like, just avoid it.

Haven't done much outside of it yet but damn the msq is addicting, start to finish in 4 months total, 300 hours.

Even if i really dislike the endgame loop (which i doubt as my job and most encounters got really fun to play around SB) I'll likely always buy the current expansion and some sub time to enjoy the msq.

Also glamour... sadly a bit inconvenient system behind it but damn it looks good, I have never been a transmog/mount guy in WoW but for xiv I might make an exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    There's a preeeeetty big, permanent change in the world that comes from that particular bit of the story.
    I guess I don't remember what that was unless you mean the cure for tempering.
    "People with depression score higher on tests of realism. Intelligence is positively correlated with mental illness and suicide. What this indicates is that if the mind understands too much about reality, it wants to destroy itself. Human life is existential horror."

Some of the solo content is fun and I got addicted to some of the challenges inside raids. But the combat feels very clunky and for the most part the game gets you addicted through misery and not fun. WoW combat is really good and that's why even grinding can be fun at times but in FF that's just not the case. Ofcourse the endgame community in FF is beyond cringe and disgusting though; we need the elites from WoW to come offer us something to inspire to. If I have to be completely honest with myself I was just addicted to FF (the mmo before it) and I was so addicted that the only thing I could relate to was FFXIV and so I kept playing FFXIV - rarely enjoying it.

Here is what I am talking about:
    https://ffxivthebalancediscorddrama....subreddit.html

https://youtu.be/MHNz7VSHRgw
    Did you honestly make a new account just to attack FF14?

Every single one of your posts is doing it.

Just go back and play WoW if that's your thing, man. We all see what you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by ippollite View Post
    [SNIP]

Im not totally irritated. Its fine. But its really... not jarring... but something else? Tangential? Its gonna pay off though... if i pay attention to my very mild irritation, theres gonna be a point to this? And its not just the lominsan's getting along with everyone. Its deeper? Right? Katchii, i missed something again? Theres a point to this...(just tell me if i did - not what specifically i missed).
    Yes, you missed something. Why you're dealing with the politics in Limsa is pretty thoroughly explained in the story. It's not something that will be explained later, because it's discussed and explained at the beginning of the issue, when you start the series of quests there.

Yes it's a "step down" from super hero work, but in regards to the overall trajectory of the story, it makes complete sense.

Bottom line: Cure for tempering, peace between the city-states and the beast tribes, one of the pirate crews in Limsa isn't OK with that and by their actions is threatening the tenuous peace with them, so we volunteered to get them in line, so that Eorzea both man and beast man can finally be united.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Yes, you missed something. Why you're dealing with the politics in Limsa is pretty thoroughly explained in the story. It's not something that will be explained later, because it's discussed and explained at the beginning of the issue, when you start the series of quests there.

Yes it's a "step down" from super hero work, but in regards to the overall trajectory of the story, it makes complete sense.

Bottom line: Cure for tempering, peace between the city-states and the beast tribes, one of the pirate crews in Limsa isn't OK with that and by their actions is threatening the tenuous peace with them, so we volunteered to get them in line, so that Eorzea both man and beast man can finally be united.
    Ah im so dumb. I got so caught up in the provincial nature of the 5.4 story that i forgot the bigger thing at play here. We're not just solving the petty conflicts regarding tempering. We're solving 'tempering' itself. And that's why its not just a side quest. Its directly leading into the endwalker conclusion. Thanks, Katchii.
    Last edited by ippollite; 2021-10-12 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post

I dont even see it as a step down. Its a profound and fundamental change to Eorzia's dynamic that we are ensuring moves forward. (massive pre-Endwalker spoilers) We have made aether crystals and primals as they were before irrelevant. Applying new lessons from ShB to the defining core issues of Eorzia which have plagued it since 1.0. When we speak to the pirate factions (something we did before where we got a very brosque response), we see they have naturally moved on with the times and are happier for it, except for one group. We also resolve old wounds between the beast tribes and other Eorzians that even the miracle cure does not magically resolve.

The entire thing is us making Alphinauds broken dream from ARR a reality, but doing it the right way on a scale he never realized could be achievable, using the lessons we learnt since then, especially during ShB. That is ENORMOUS.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    I dont even see it as a step down. Its a profound and fundamental change to Eorzia's dynamic that we are ensuring moves forward. (massive pre-Endwalker spoilers) We have made aether crystals and primals as they were before irrelevant. Applying new lessons from ShB to the defining core issues of Eorzia which have plagued it since 1.0. When we speak to the pirate factions (something we did before where we got a very brosque response), we see they have naturally moved on with the times and are happier for it, except for one group. We also resolve old wounds between the beast tribes and other Eorzians that even the miracle cure does not magically resolve.

The entire thing is us making Alphinauds broken dream from ARR a reality, but doing it the right way on a scale he never realized could be achievable, using the lessons we learnt since then, especially during ShB. That is ENORMOUS.
    I just meant the specific quest where you're literally just dealing with the Limsa pirate politics. I agree with the rest, WHY we did it and how big it is.

Endwalker speculation below

Ya know, I wonder if Endwalker is going to result in us having to use the cure for tempering on ourselves to free ourselves from Hydaelyn. I think the implications of not only Zodiark but Hydaelyn as well disappearing from the world and the result of there no longer being a Warrior of Light could be very interesting. It'd also kinda give us a clean slate to work with for the next story arc.

Because of other priorities only now started doing Eureka Anemos, so I guess it's a long way to go untill I finish another 3. But I'm looking forward to that juc hydatos glamour.

i will say one thing i cant stand is the cutscenes with no voice acting lol. Seeing the mouths move and only getting subtitles was really fucking with me.

I am Murloc!
    Castrum Meridianum/Praetorium as a sprout tank is confusing still because sprout, but the party is more likely in the mood to wait for you instead for a dps.
    but usually community is chill and waits for you nonetheless; i was tank first and dps on next char and both times able to experience most bosses.

the mood killer are those overlong cinematics, not the party behaviour

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Endwalker speculation below

Ya know, I wonder if Endwalker is going to result in us having to use the cure for tempering on ourselves to free ourselves from Hydaelyn. I think the implications of not only Zodiark but Hydaelyn as well disappearing from the world and the result of there no longer being a Warrior of Light could be very interesting. It'd also kinda give us a clean slate to work with for the next story arc.
    Given that we now know there are varying levels of tempering where a person can maintain a large amount of free will just short of defying their primal, I would not be surprised. Fact of the matter is, the WoL is never shown to even question whether or not acting on behalf of Hydaelyn is the right thing to do. Even after all of ShB, it's Y'shtola and Krile who are like maybe we should look into this.

I also think it's sinister given that Azem was opposed to summoning Hydaelyn. At this point, I feel like the WoL has been manipulated and Emet rightly calls it out during the Hades fight by saying the WoL is using the power that destroyed their civilization. I can't imagine if the WoL had their memories restored as Azem that they would be pleased about the situation.

Decently fun game + an upcoming expansion. Long time WoW CCs also finally throwing in the towel on that game and giving XIV a try.

It also benefitted greatly from the shitting of the bed at Blizzard around the time OP posted this thread, heh.

Advice I was given as a sprout on skipping beast tribes entirely, is utterly incorrect. I found that beast tribe reward emotes are truly amazing. I'm definitely getting them all.

Quote Originally Posted by neik View Post
    Advice I was given as a sprout on skipping beast tribes entirely, is utterly incorrect. I found that beast tribe reward emotes are truly amazing. I'm definitely getting them all.

Now I need to go do those >_<

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by neik View Post

Now I need to go do those >_<

Enjoy Devilyaki

By the way, kudos to Zepla the video production is outstanding, along with the glamours presented.