Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst ...
33
41
42
43
44
45
... LastLast
  1. #841
    Quote Originally Posted by xmirrors View Post
    Set bonuses are the example I always share. It gives you a reason to aim for specific drops, even if the set bonuses aren't crazy unique, and makes the gear more memorable. I still fondly remember some of the set bonuses from WoW.
    Assuming these set bonuses are throughput oriented, then this suggestion would be removing the last remnant of "meaningful" gearing decisions FF14 has left which is splashing tome and savage raid to hit an optimized set. Set bonuses themselves were hamstringing to most people. Sure we all liked the power spike for hitting the bonuses, but there's 42 different ways you could bring that function/feature into the game, and I'm not sure set bonuses are the optimal path. In all honesty, I'd do this with Materia if we were doing it with anything.

  2. #842
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrowseer View Post
    Your reply is flawed, getting to 52/62 took dozens of hours, if I did not enjoy the game after dozens of hours, then it failed for me, please, I need you to understand this.
    Would you say that to a new WoW player who said “i made it to lvl 48, the game sucks” im more than certain your response would be “the fun doesnt start till endgame”

  3. #843
    Quote Originally Posted by BiggestNoob View Post
    You can't be geared out in a matter of hours. 530 is current gear, the best you can do instantly is 510 upgraded to 520 with quite a bit of grinding. If you farm uncapped tomes to get 490 crystarium gear then run Paglth'an to get in 505 you can jump in current content without crafted gear, which is a viable gearing alternative while you work on 530 which takes a while, even at 900 tomes a week.
    You can buy a full set of crafted 510 gear, then farm raids for vendor gear. It doesn't take very long at all. Along with the fact, you do not see a reflection of power increase as you attain higher ilvls.

  4. #844
    Quote Originally Posted by Itori View Post
    Would you say that to a new WoW player who said “i made it to lvl 48, the game sucks” im more than certain your response would be “the fun doesnt start till endgame”
    I know this wasn't directed at me, but I would absolutely listen to the persons complaints. I'd ask questions to see if I could understand their POV.

    Sidebar - How many hours of gameplay is it to get to level 52 in WoW these days (I haven't leveled in over a decade)? Pretty sure it's no where near the equivalent in FF14 though, so not a great comparison nonetheless.

  5. #845
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Sidebar - How many hours of gameplay is it to get to level 52 in WoW these days (I haven't leveled in over a decade)? Pretty sure it's no where near the equivalent in FF14 though, so not a great comparison nonetheless.
    It's like 10 hours /played from level 10 (starting level of allied races) to 50. I'm sure it varies + or - depending on leveling route.
    "People with depression score higher on tests of realism. Intelligence is positively correlated with mental illness and suicide. What this indicates is that if the mind understands too much about reality, it wants to destroy itself. Human life is existential horror."

  6. #846
    Quote Originally Posted by Necrosaro123 View Post
    I have been playing Samurai, and i had to admit, that without the Squadrons, it feels like it takes forever. I did Dungeons and Roulette and still took me like 1 week to get from 50 to 60.
    I didn't notice it with my main job (DRG), but that was with the MSQ. When I unlocked and had to level MCH, ugh. I usually love leveling alts, but I always have the quests to redo. I'm not sure why there's no NG+ for alt jobs that give EXP. I also don't understand why HW jobs start at 30 instead of 40.

    I just unlocked squadrons yesterday, haven't had the opportunity to do anything with them yet.
    "People with depression score higher on tests of realism. Intelligence is positively correlated with mental illness and suicide. What this indicates is that if the mind understands too much about reality, it wants to destroy itself. Human life is existential horror."

  7. #847
    Quote Originally Posted by Itori View Post
    Would you say that to a new WoW player who said “i made it to lvl 48, the game sucks” im more than certain your response would be “the fun doesnt start till endgame”
    I would say they spent a long time in a game and its the games fault after all that time, they didn't enjoy it, play a game for 100 hours then you will like it, fuck that mate.

  8. #848
    Quote Originally Posted by xmirrors View Post
    My issue is that there is no incentive to get to 530. A fresh 80 can buy a full set of 510 crafted gear and be able to do...well, pretty much all of the content the endgame offers. There's also nothing exciting about gear itself apart from the glamour. They're all just stat increases across the board...no weapons or trinkets or rings with unique effects.

    It's not a serious problem for me, since I don't play the game seriously, but a more in-depth system would certainly be welcome. I would go out of my way to join a static and jump into the hardest content if there was a more interesting progression in gear and specific items that I could set as goals.
    I think it's intentional just so the balancing can always be good. While you can do all the content at 510 since that's the min ilvl of e12s, it makes it significantly harder. The incentive for most people to get to 530 is to make their raiding easier for farming savage mounts or extreme mounts. I'm hoping SE starts adding 3 ultimates per expansion, so then there'd be another incentive, with that last one doing a lot to fill the content gap before the next expansion.

  9. #849
    I didn’t think the story was that great. It’s okay, but not amazing or anything.

    It’s cool how it all connects and everything, and it does get better the more you understand the lore, but I never really felt that engaged and curious what was going to happen next the vast majority of the time. It felt more just slow and tedious.

    I had a hard time getting into the cutscenes to, the characters looked and felt like animatronic puppets to me and I just couldn’t take it seriously.

    I did try to like it, but I just can’t really get into it.

    I do like the game and I play it instead of WoW now, but I don’t get the story hype.

  10. #850
    Titan Val the Moofia Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    14,777
    Quote Originally Posted by Necrosaro123 View Post
    I'm still stuck in the part that i have to train them and give them missions. I'm still going blind on this feature, so i choose to level them up as training. I hope it doesn't take forever before i'm able to use them for Dungeons....or idk what else? Are they also companions?
    You level them up by sending them out on the facebook missions or doing dungeons with them. The facebook missions take a long time so do that before you log out for the day. Also they have to be a minimum level before you can do dungeons with them so it'll be a few days of sending them out on facebook missions before you can actually do dungeons with them.

    You never really need to bother with the "training" function. I suppose if you're staying logged in for a few hours, you can go to your Grand Company's headquarters and send them out on the 1 hour long training to give them a tidbit of exp, but really it's micromanaging you don't need to do. Might be worth the exp during the first 20 levels to get them able to do dungeons ASAP but after that I wouldn't bother.

  11. #851
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    I didn’t think the story was that great. It’s okay, but not amazing or anything.

    It’s cool how it all connects and everything, and it does get better the more you understand the lore, but I never really felt that engaged and curious what was going to happen next the vast majority of the time. It felt more just slow and tedious.

    I had a hard time getting into the cutscenes to, the characters looked and felt like animatronic puppets to me and I just couldn’t take it seriously.

    I did try to like it, but I just can’t really get into it.

    I do like the game and I play it instead of WoW now, but I don’t get the story hype.
    The story hype is that it's probably the best story among MMOs (not my opinion but just the general sense that the story has its connecting arcs and interesting characters).
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

  12. #852
    Quote Originally Posted by Necrosaro123 View Post
    I'm still stuck in the part that i have to train them and give them missions. I'm still going blind on this feature, so i choose to level them up as training. I hope it doesn't take forever before i'm able to use them for Dungeons....or idk what else? Are they also companions?
    This is the best guide I've seen. It seems like it might take a couple weeks?

    "People with depression score higher on tests of realism. Intelligence is positively correlated with mental illness and suicide. What this indicates is that if the mind understands too much about reality, it wants to destroy itself. Human life is existential horror."

  13. #853
    The Undying Cthulhu 2020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rigging your election
    Posts
    34,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    This has kind of always been my argument especially when people compare WoW and FF14. I honestly don't notice or care about the gear stats in either game. 99% of the time, both games ilvl is king so it doesn't even matter (barring trinkets). I wouldn't even be mad if they scrapped "gearing" entirely and made it fully cosmetic. Obviously I'd hope for that resource to go somewhere else interesting in the game, but that's how little I care about stats on gear and I say this as a savage/mythic raider with good parses.
    Not to get into a WoW vs FFXIV topic, but when I see people complain about the raiding scene, one of the most common things they mention is "meaningful" gear progression that WoW apparently has and FFXIV doesn't. And yet both MMOs completely wipe the slate clean, making new patch gear always better no matter what. So I don't know why folks think the raiding scene in FFXIV has less meaningful gear progression. If anything, I like FFXIV in that Ultimates are a FORM of gear progression, not because of stats, but because they will always carry some level of prestige. Last I recall, WoW doesn't really have anything equivalent to that. Nothing that is a PERMANENT status symbol. Everyone can go back into old raids eventually and farm the gear, mounts, pets, etc. Will never be able to do that with ultimates. And when folks say "glamour is the true endgame" it sounds like a meme but it's completely true.
    "Nazis are like cats. If they like you, it's probably because you're feeding them." -John Oliver
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    I don't care if he committed tax fraud. Scoring political victories and crushing the aspirations of your political opponents is more important than adhering to moral principles.
    Knadra finally just admitting Trumpkins care more about political victories than morals.

  14. #854
    Titan Val the Moofia Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    14,777
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    Not to get into a WoW vs FFXIV topic, but when I see people complain about the raiding scene, one of the most common things they mention is "meaningful" gear progression that WoW apparently has and FFXIV doesn't. And yet both MMOs completely wipe the slate clean, making new patch gear always better no matter what. So I don't know why folks think the raiding scene in FFXIV has less meaningful gear progression. If anything, I like FFXIV in that Ultimates are a FORM of gear progression, not because of stats, but because they will always carry some level of prestige. Last I recall, WoW doesn't really have anything equivalent to that. Nothing that is a PERMANENT status symbol. Everyone can go back into old raids eventually and farm the gear, mounts, pets, etc. Will never be able to do that with ultimates. And when folks say "glamour is the true endgame" it sounds like a meme but it's completely true.
    Perhaps that person meant item effects? In WoW, many raid drops have an effect that change your class' gameplay, which is more exciting than getting another stat stick, whereas in FFXIV there are zero armor pieces in that game that give you a new passive or an ability or augment your abilities. Just pure stat sticks.

  15. #855
    The Undying Cthulhu 2020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rigging your election
    Posts
    34,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Perhaps that person meant item effects? In WoW, many raid drops have an effect that change your class' gameplay, which is more exciting than getting another stat stick, whereas in FFXIV there are zero armor pieces in that game that give you a new passive or an ability or augment your abilities. Just pure stat sticks.
    Has there been any kind of set bonus or trinket that truly made significant changes to your gameplay though? Back when I mostly stopped playing Legion, raiding on 5 classes, I can't remember any time that there was a trinket or set bonus that did anything other than boost my damage more than other pieces would. Like, trinkets have been boring DPS (or tank or healing) boosters ever since wrath. Legendaries changed your gameplay a lot, but people calculated out the "best" legendries and you got those and that was your class.

    I will say a big thing I like about FFXIV is the predictability. WoW involves a lot of gambling and RNG in its progression, sometimes making it so that you get something you want super early, and a lot of the times making it seem like forever to get the item you want. Plus in the expansion and patch cycles, they make new systems and abandon old ones. They release broken and half finished and only truly come in to what I'd consider halfway salvageable content when they patch it a few months later.

    In FF the only real randomness is in rolling on gear coffers if you're in PF. And if you're in a static, your group hands those things out anyway. And if you go a long time without getting any loot, there's always books to exchange for gear that you can't seem to win. Patches and patch cycles are predictable but at the same time satisfying because you know every 3-3.5 months you're going to get some new content. Even if it's not raiding, there's always some new little system that's fun to play with. For as much as people talk about raids being king, I think the vast majority of people like those new little systems. Triple Triad, Chocobo racing, Ishgard restoration, Mahjong, Manderville (which sadly there was no quests for ShB), and so forth. You get new systems, as well as updates to old systems. Plus you'll know they always release complete, tested, and not half baked.
    "Nazis are like cats. If they like you, it's probably because you're feeding them." -John Oliver
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    I don't care if he committed tax fraud. Scoring political victories and crushing the aspirations of your political opponents is more important than adhering to moral principles.
    Knadra finally just admitting Trumpkins care more about political victories than morals.

  16. #856
    Titan Val the Moofia Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    14,777
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    Has there been any kind of set bonus or trinket that truly made significant changes to your gameplay though?
    Several! As a Warrior main in MoP, one of the tier bonuses made me go faster when I used Heroic Leap, and I loved it. Fortunately many other warrior players agreed, and due to its popularity it became a glyph in WoD. The SoO prot Pally set made pocket healing viable because of the free cast of a max power Word of Glory. The Windwalker Monk set made the already fast WW gameplay even faster (and funner). And so on. I hated the randomness involved in Legion's RNGendaries, but the effects were quite fun. Soul of the Deathlord gave me an additional talent for having it equipped, so I could have two level 90 talents active at once! And the negative bonuses on the N'zoth corruption gear was interesting. Such as slowing your movement speed or summoning an eye that damaged you, so there were tradeoffs that really changed your gameplay. Felt like a classic CRPG like Morrowind, where you had those boots that gave you a huge speed boost but also lowered your hit rate.

    There isn't anything like this in FFXIV. No game changing loot to look forward to. Just the next stat stick with higher numbers I forget about.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    Legendaries changed your gameplay a lot, but people calculated out the "best" legendries and you got those and that was your class.
    Picking meta builds only really mattered in high end raiding. If you're some casual bumming about the world, you can go with whatever (though unfortunately world content after MoP is quite lackluster, but that's another discussion).

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    For as much as people talk about raids being king, I think the vast majority of people like those new little systems. Triple Triad, Chocobo racing, Ishgard restoration, Mahjong, Manderville (which sadly there was no quests for ShB), and so forth. You get new systems, as well as updates to old systems. Plus you'll know they always release complete, tested, and not half baked.
    I do quite like the other fluff FFXIV adds like the jumping puzzles and the ocean fishing expeditions (wish they would add more), but that isn't mutually exclusive with fun gear, and fun gear doesn't have to come only from raids.

  17. #857
    I played WoW to lvl 30 and it sucked. That's what a lot of you sound like

  18. #858
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    Has there been any kind of set bonus or trinket that truly made significant changes to your gameplay though?
    Sure. Here is a random example: https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Bar...sin_Battlegear

    Examples like that are few and far between, but even items that were purely throughput still gave you a feeling of something to chase. The tier sets had unique visuals and unique effects, making them highly sought after. It gave you motivation to do raids and kill certain bosses. Everything being a stat stick doesn't allow for that nearly as well. Even though I've raided in FFXIV for certain glamour pieces I couldn't even tell you what they were called...because the only exciting thing about them were the looks. I don't look back and fondly remember getting a certain drop in a FFXIV raid. I do for WoW.
    Back when I mostly stopped playing Legion, raiding on 5 classes, I can't remember any time that there was a trinket or set bonus that did anything other than boost my damage more than other pieces would. Like, trinkets have been boring DPS (or tank or healing) boosters ever since wrath. Legendaries changed your gameplay a lot, but people calculated out the "best" legendries and you got those and that was your class.
    That is certainly true to an extent, although there have been plenty of fun trinkets with actual unique effects in every expansion, but a trinket having a 'boring' DPS boosting effect is still better than yet another stat stick. Something > nothing.

    The best part about tier sets were the visuals, so FFXIV isn't too different in that regard. The set bonuses were just icing on the cake, even more reason to want to chase them down. Every single tier people would be hyped up to see the tier sets get datamined. Really don't get that at all with FFXIV.

  19. #859
    Titan Val the Moofia Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    14,777
    Quote Originally Posted by xmirrors View Post
    The best part about tier sets were the visuals, so FFXIV isn't too different in that regard. The set bonuses were just icing on the cake, even more reason to want to chase them down. Every single tier people would be hyped up to see the tier sets get datamined. Really don't get that at all with FFXIV.
    I think the problem is that FFXIV doesn't have strong armor aesthetics like WoW does. In WoW, character aesthetics are hugely important. Clearly defined silhouettes. Huge hulking shoulderpads. Huge weapons. The gloves and boots are pretty important too. As of late, they've been knocking it out of the park with the chestpieces, belts, and legs too; they aren't just painted on textures like they used to be. Most classes have iconic aesthetics, such as Death Knights with skulls and chains, or righteous paladins, or the tatooed Illidari, and so on. But with FFXIV, the job with iconic aesthetics are the dragoon. Everyone else is rather forgettable, and the only really defining piece of gear is your hat. FFXIV gear looks rather lackluster compared to WoW gear.

  20. #860
    Quote Originally Posted by Necrosaro123 View Post
    I'm still stuck in the part that i have to train them and give them missions. I'm still going blind on this feature, so i choose to level them up as training. I hope it doesn't take forever before i'm able to use them for Dungeons....or idk what else? Are they also companions?
    http://ffxivsquadron.com

    If your going to take the time dealing with squadrons then bookmark that website. Top section is easy to understand,
    Second section is where you put in your squadron's information with the lightning at the end being chemistry that unlocks later, all parts can be important.
    Section 3 lets you simulate training. Remember that your squadron has two stat lines, the squadron overall as well as stats for each member.

    The right side shows the results as party make up with recommended training underneath.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •