Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
6
7
15
... LastLast
  1. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    In short:

    XIV is WoW done right

    bit longer:

    - community is A LOT nicer, because of game design decisions
    - 8 man raids, gtfo with 20 man illusionary "epicness", id rather raid with 7 friends than with 5 friends and 14 strangers.
    - better story
    - trillion times better scaling and dung/raid settings (min ilvl no echo etc), timewalking done right
    - Doesnt waste your time, you won't be alt tabbing much, instant teleports
    - Gold saucer is infinitely more fun than darkmoon
    - Developers that actually care about players


    and probably a lot more, the only downside i can think of is that wow has better addons.
    Most mounts have their own theme music that plays when you ride that mount. I feel like this should have been on your list :P

  2. #82
    Imagine if WoW stuck with a consistent, quality focused experience ever since WotLK.

    Consistent patch cycle, QoL improvements and general game refinement (for the most part) without compromising the integrity of the experience, and experimental features were separated into a side section of the game where they can be tested and enjoyed for what they are without affecting the main experience.

    Typically it isn't doing anything revolutionary, just a good, enjoyable, quality product.
    And seriously look at their patch history/release dates. It's almost mind blowing how consistent they are with content delivery.

    Also people seem to have this impression that it has "recently blown up", and that's true to an extent. But it has actually been big for a while now. The end walker announcement pulled huge numbers, and that happened before all this stuff with Asmon/Bullular/etc.
    I think the more accurate statement is that it has recently blown up in the WoW community.

  3. #83
    Since I'm caught up on MSQ, I've just been doing any old dungeons/trials/raids I haven't completed yet and casually leveling alt jobs. By doing the old instsnces I unlock more variety for roulette and maybe lower the queue time?

  4. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by Aizen244 View Post
    Why is everyone migrating to this game now? what makes it so good?

    Gamers want a relationship with designers that talk and communicate with them. Gamers also want a atmosphere that is as less toxic as possible. Even if that atmosphere is heavily moderated, people want to play and do things without copious amounts of negativity. And last but not least people want to follow developers that really care about the game and play their own game. People also don't want to follow developers who are wasting the money of the gamers by touching and grabbing on one another instead of making content for the game.
    People on this thread only get pissed at you when you don't agree with them...FACT

  5. #85
    All the story is in game. No need to watch videos online or buy books.

  6. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    All the story is in game. No need to watch videos online or buy books.
    This is another big one for me personally, I loved being a lore nerd and keeping up with WoW's story, but around the time of Cataclysm the huge majority of actually important story details started happening in books. It makes me feel like the world they describe in the novels and the world that I'm actually playing in are completely different, with the one I'm playing in being the much worse and less interesting one.
    If you reply to me with a full essay I'm probably not going to bother reading it, sorry.

  7. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    All the story is in game. No need to watch videos online or buy books.
    There is actually a fair amount of written work outside of the game as well, you don't have to pay for it, but it's still out of the game itself.

    https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodes...m_the_shadows/

    Im sure there is more, but this is what popped into my head.

  8. #88
    Titan Val the Moofia Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    14,618
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    There is actually a fair amount of written work outside of the game as well, you don't have to pay for it, but it's still out of the game itself.

    https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodes...m_the_shadows/

    Im sure there is more, but this is what popped into my head.
    There is also the Zenos backstory which was included in a book you had to buy, but it seems to have been retconned as of patch 5.1.

    . - - - - - Come play MMO-C mafia with us! / Steam / MyAnimeList - - - - -

  9. #89
    I wish I knew I tried it at 2.0 launch, Steam launch, & again recently... I just can't get into it. I think if you're after an MMO that's got a good chunk of single-player content that you're in for a treat, but as someone who'd rather walk on hot coals than sit through an MMO story, it just felt like a chore.

    Glad to see it's doing well though! I know a lot of people who've played & loved it for years, so there's definitely a lot about it that's good.

  10. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by Aizen244 View Post
    Why is everyone migrating to this game now? what makes it so good?
    Personally, I've played lots of past Final Fantasy games so going into the game gives me a lot of nostalgia seeing characters I'm familiar with. That being said, if it wasn't for that I wouldn't have given it as much of a chance as I already have.

  11. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    Most mounts have their own theme music that plays when you ride that mount. I feel like this should have been on your list :P
    I dont listen to game music, ever, so maybe, but not for me.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

    NextUI for XIV


  12. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudenoso View Post
    See that bit about coming in thinking about FFXIV. Afterall, my original reply doesn't apply to WoW: WoW's balance is shit and always has been shit. The difference between playing meta and not-meta there is far bigger than FFXIV:

    https://www.fflogs.com/zone/statisti...amount&boss=77
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/st...ount&boss=2435
    I snipped out your raid size bits, but know that I'm largely in agreement. I prefer smaller sized raiding as well.

    But this example you tried to paint is comically bad. You can't compare these sample sizes at all. You should be comparing Nathria, which I've already done in another thread and the balance really isn't that far off (especially when you account for outliers (the 2 dead specs, and the one stupidly overtuned one) and the fact that FF14 has incredibly simplistic tuning knobs and WoW's are at the very least 3x more complex).

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    The point I'm making is that Asmongold isn't the reason for the large playerbase as many people on this forum like to say.
    Can you find a single person who stated that Asmon is the reason for the large playerbase? I haven't seen a single person state that. I have seen people say he's responsible for the RECENT spike, of which he is a large piece of that no doubt.

  13. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    I snipped out your raid size bits, but know that I'm largely in agreement. I prefer smaller sized raiding as well.

    But this example you tried to paint is comically bad. You can't compare these sample sizes at all. You should be comparing Nathria, which I've already done in another thread and the balance really isn't that far off (especially when you account for outliers (the 2 dead specs, and the one stupidly overtuned one) and the fact that FF14 has incredibly simplistic tuning knobs and WoW's are at the very least 3x more complex).



    Can you find a single person who stated that Asmon is the reason for the large playerbase? I haven't seen a single person state that. I have seen people say he's responsible for the RECENT spike, of which he is a large piece of that no doubt.
    ...There was an entire thread on these forums of people claiming that Asmongold is the reason FFXIV is doing so well right now and that it was basically dead before him.

  14. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    ...There was an entire thread on these forums of people claiming that Asmongold is the reason FFXIV is doing so well right now and that it was basically dead before him.
    Do you have a link to that thread? The content of it would be completely false, of course, so I would be unable to refrain from informing them of such.

  15. #95
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Do you have a link to that thread? The content of it would be completely false, of course, so I would be unable to refrain from informing them of such.
    The name of the thread is literally called "The Asmongold Effect". You can see it if you go to the FFXIV section of these forums.

  16. #96
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    The name of the thread is literally called "The Asmongold Effect". You can see it if you go to the FFXIV section of these forums.
    But that thread wasn't about the game "being dead" before Asmongold. Simply that he had an effect.

  17. #97
    Herald of the Titans Daffan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Computer Chair
    Posts
    2,706
    Quote Originally Posted by Arewn View Post
    Imagine if WoW stuck with a consistent, quality focused experience ever since WotLK.

    Consistent patch cycle, QoL improvements and general game refinement (for the most part) without compromising the integrity of the experience, and experimental features were separated into a side section of the game where they can be tested and enjoyed for what they are without affecting the main experience.

    Typically it isn't doing anything revolutionary, just a good, enjoyable, quality product.
    And seriously look at their patch history/release dates. It's almost mind blowing how consistent they are with content delivery.
    You are joking right. WOTLK 5 mans had better gear than Ulduar and TOC. The integrity of the traditional experience was non-existent.

    FFXIV has same problem tho, so can't really say most games get away with anything these days.

    Yeah their content delivery, 4 ultimate bosses after 20 years. Bigger delays than WoW in last 12 months as well. COVID went 2.0 for them compared to others. FF14 is very lucky they have dooty finder and all job on 1 char, it keeps most people appeased very well. Whereas in WoW, everyone would go rabid evil at such a concept imo, it's psychologically crazy.
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.
    Classic+ Retune/New Boss Abilities >>> #nochanges crowd

  18. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    There is also the Zenos backstory which was included in a book you had to buy, but it seems to have been retconned as of patch 5.1.
    I've seen you say this probably around 3-4 times now but just because you subjectively came to a conclusion that makes you say it was retconned does not mean, in fact, that it actually was retconned.

    I've noticed you do this a lot. You come to a conclusion and if the game does not support that conclusion, you complain that the game did a bad. When it's just...no, your subjective analysis was incorrect.

    Yeah their content delivery, 4 ultimate bosses after 20 years. Bigger delays than WoW in last 12 months as well. COVID went 2.0 for them compared to others. FF14 is very lucky they have dooty finder and all job on 1 char, it keeps most people appeased very well. Whereas in WoW, everyone would go rabid evil at such a concept imo, it's psychologically crazy.
    It's probably because you can make everything on one character. And even the tomestone gear sets can be used across multiple jobs. It's not getting to max level on every single job, having to play through the story on every single job, and having to grind gear for every single job. Even the relic weapons, once completed once, can be acquired for alternate jobs in a much, much easier way.

    It's magnitudes less annoying, and done so purposefully. It's not like they accidentally happened into this. Also unsure what metric you're using to say that they had bigger delays than WoW.
    Last edited by Drindorai; 2021-07-31 at 04:03 AM.

  19. #99
    Titan Val the Moofia Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    14,618
    moving it to the spoiler/story thread
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2021-07-31 at 04:22 AM.

    . - - - - - Come play MMO-C mafia with us! / Steam / MyAnimeList - - - - -

  20. #100
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Well, you're posting on a WoW fansite, and the tastes of the WoW fandom seem to not really align with the tastes of the FFXIV fandom. WoW fans want their hardcore aesthetics, not nice and fluffy weeb aesthetics. WoW players generally seem to skip through the quests text and rush to endgame, while in FFXIV there isn't really an emphasis on endgame and you're forced to wade through 200-300 hours of story before you can reach it. FFXIV cultists have become especially annoying since Shadowbringers launched, trying to force their beloved game on everyone else (to the point it has become a meme). They've hyped up FFXIV so much it's going to disappoint when people finally check it out.
    <snip>


    Yea, well mmo-champion.com is not a WoW fansite.
    It has a huge WoW forum but also this section of the website is dedicated to FFXIV, just like we have a thread for Heartstone, Diablo, Guild Wars 2 etc...
    So it's really obvious many people only visit these sections of the website to convince people how much they should hate the game.
    Oh man, you gonna HATE it once you realize there is no endgame, seesh, how can you even play this game...
    In reality there is end-game and as far as I know it has some of the hardest raids out of any MMO's.
    People are just not forced to do it as in WoW.
    Last edited by Tyrick; 2021-07-31 at 07:06 AM.

    "Do I care for the lives of mortals? No. Do you care for the lives of ants that crawls beneath your feet?"


    Signature by the awesome Winter Blossom

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •