Page 35 of 43 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    That's not even remotely true. FFXIV was seeing their player numbers growing more and more BEFORE Asmongold started playing. Stop putting him on a pedestal. Also, if you think the ERP in FFXIV is bad, you should NEVER go to Goldshire on MoonGuard. Because it is 100 times worse.
    sure, but character design, slutmogs and emotes in ff14 are literally designed to promote and in the end heavily monetize this sexuality. in wow its just player creativity...in ff14 its built into the freaking game and stimulated by the developer.

and for Asmon, i think we would fall off our chairs if we knew exactly how much he impacted the numbers.
    Last edited by srambo; 2021-08-26 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    For a story driven game ARR doesn't get that great until the end of the experience, HW is amazing, and Stormblood is simply "okay". There are story beats in Stormblood I really like, however there's so much filler that it really drags on the experience (Doma part was my favorite in Stormblood).
    I just finished HW, which I loved, and am not looking forward to SB. I just do not care about Ala Mhigo or Garlemald and it looks like that's going to take up the lion's share.

ShB is great, but it does have some filler. I watched a playthrough and can't wait to get to it myself in game. Tired of seeing other people's characters in cutscenes. :P
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by srambo View Post
    sure, but character design, slutmogs and emotes in ff14 are literally designed to promote and in the end heavily monetize this sexuality. in wow its just player creativity...in ff14 its built into the freaking game and stimulated by the developer.

and for Asmon, i think we would fall off our chairs if we knew exactly how much he impacted the numbers.
    LOL WHAT?! There are entire mogs in WoW that completely change their appearance when on female characters to look like bikinis. Also, FFXIV hit 22 million users three months before Asmongold started playing. Just stop.

LOL WHAT?! There are entire mogs in WoW that completely change their appearance when on female characters to look like bikinis. Also, FFXIV hit 22 million users three months before Asmongold started playing. Just stop.
    yes and now its probably 30 when asmon got into it.....how does that invalidate my point in any way? and in the end .... why are you triggered by this? who cares who is bringing the numbers in your game is doing well so why even get butthurt about anything i said? go enjoy your game

With WoW you spend a large portion of your time doing chores, weekly renown, dealing with conduit energy if you play multiple types of gameplay, daily korthia farming sockets/conduits, weekly torghast, multiplied for each character you wish to enjoy at a "powered up" level. None of that content is enjoyable.

Raids, M+, Pvp, are all decently fun, but you spend minimal time doing these things compared to the busy engagement metric trash.

With FF14, you experience one of the best, if not THE best story in a video game. Your 1 character can play any spec in the game, you can grind gear for 1 spec while playing another. There's just raiding and pvp, and FF's version of weekly valor for ilvl 520 gear.

Both games can be enjoyed simultaneously, but given how bad WoW's disrespectful systems have gotten since Legion, 9.1 domination garbage just pushed people away to FF14 that has a mountain of content that has been relevant regardless of the expansion, so new players coming from WoW feel like they have so much content to enjoy, while blizzard figures out their nonsense.

7+ Year Old Account
    Started giving FF14 a proper try about a week ago after burnout from this current WoW patch, I'm still very new lol having only reached lv 30 conjurer -> white mage.

Things I like:

- The job/class system all on 1 character, also that crafting/gathering are their own classes with abilities and the class quests are neat.

- I'm enjoying the MSQ (reached to around lv 23 so far), the story is interesting enough for me so far.

- The world/lore/items feel like it make sense, as in the item descriptions for things, how it seems like there's lots of crafting mats with a purpose and description of the world and the layout of the maps/areas with settlements gives the feeling of a cohesive universe.

- I like that seems like the playerbase is spread out over the multiple things you can do in the game and not simply funneled quickly to the end-game (I still see higher lvl players in the newbie areas and the starting cities look very lively as opposed to whatever city hub is in the newest expac).

- Following from the last point, game gives me the sense of 'what do I work on today' when I login, it's great to know I don't have a daily/weekly checklist to run through (I know there's daily roulettes and what not but I don't feel pressured to do them atm) to 'keep up' with the end-game crowd. Will see if that changes later since nothing I'm doing is time-gated yet but atm it feels like you level/play/experience what you want, when you want.

- The game feels like it encourages players to 'smell the roses' in the way you hand over quest items and initiate dialogue. This is a potential negative for people that wanna click-click-zoom-zoom but it feels intentional to promote a certain atmosphere.

Things I don't like:

- Not sure yet since I've only tried it for about a week or so but probably the biggest barrier to me before was the 'anime/asian-esque aesthetic' although the more I play it and maybe because the characters voice acting and lines are ye'Olde English at times the aesthetic isn't bothering me as much anymore - I am actually cool with it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Domanic View Post
    With FF14, you experience one of the best, if not THE best story in a video game.
    this is such a crazy statement you must have not played many videogames.....mmos are one of the worst videogame genres to tell a good story in....but sure, its all personal preference guess.....

this is such a crazy statement you must have not played many videogames.....mmos are one of the worst videogame genres to tell a good story in
    So true, the story is mediocre and the characters forgetable, it even gsts boring and when a certain bad thing happened I barely cared. To be fair though never been a fan of weird child 'races' they gross me out.

yes and now its probably 30 when asmon got into it.....how does that invalidate my point in any way? and in the end .... why are you triggered by this? who cares who is bringing the numbers in your game is doing well so why even get butthurt about anything i said? go enjoy your game
    Your point is invalidated because Asmongold brought maybe some of his Twitch followers to the game but he doesn't have 8 million fans. So your comment about the player numbers being up to 30 million because he joined is absolute fucking bull shit. Furthermore, most of Asmongold's followers are trolls and would likely get quickly banned from FFXIV.

Also hilarious how you didn't even try to deny that WoW sexualizes female characters WAY more by changing a piece of transmog specifically on female models.

Quote Originally Posted by Necrosaro123 View Post
    So untrue, the story is actually really good. The main characters are interesting and as the story progress in the MSQ, you understand how interesting it can get. Once again, you made a statement and only reveal that you are not playing the game, or maybe you only did the first levels and left.

I have already played Heavensword, Stormblood and Shadowbringers and i can tell you that the story + characters is amazing.

Oh and if only you had played the story, you will actually learn more about the Lalafel. You would be surprised.
    I didn't enjoy the story, whats untrue about that? You enjoyed the story, nothing untrue about that. My opinion is personal on whether the story is good or not.

I played to 52 or 62 if I recall correctly, I did not enjoy it.

Let's just say I've seen a few player music bands in major cities playing actual music. It stopped a "go fast" player like me because of how awesome the moment was, me sitting down and other players dancing, hopping, etc. The music concludes and I gave my applause along with everyone else. Those are MMO experiences I won't soon be forgetting.

There are some gameplay gripes I have with FFXIV but so far it is an amazing MMO with plenty of shit to do without any of it feeling mandatory.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    You must not have played FF14 to make such a crazy statement that it has a bad story
    It's an OK story IMO. There are some points that surprise me but a lot of it is very predictable on how the arc will end. Reminds me of the average Shounen anime arcs. The execution is still stellar especially as they come to a conclusion and the player partakes in the epic Trial fights.

Very opinion based on how good the story is.
    Last edited by kail; 2021-08-27 at 03:31 AM.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

this is such a crazy statement you must have not played many videogames.....mmos are one of the worst videogame genres to tell a good story in....but sure, its all personal preference guess.....
    What game has a better story? If it's such a crazy statement, why are you struggling to make a coherent argument to support your statement. Are you unfamiliar on the basics of how a conversation works?

MMOs are no worse at telling a story than a single player game. I truly have no idea how you came to this opinion.

MMOs are no worse at telling a story than a single player game. I truly have no idea how you came to this opinion.
    It's not as immersive if there are millions of Warriors of Light yet the game's story pictures it as if we are the only one that exists. That has always been a core problem for me when a player that is of many is put really high on the pedestal. Had the same issue with WoW as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    It's not as immersive if there are millions of Warriors of Light yet the game's story pictures it as if we are the only one that exists. That has always been a core problem for me when a player that is of many is put really high on the pedestal. Had the same issue with WoW as well.
    Once again, it's no worse than a single player game. The story is you are taking the story journey as the Warrior of Light. The other players aren't part of your character's story.

Once again, it's no worse than a single player game. The story is you are taking the story journey as the Warrior of Light. The other players aren't part of your character's story.
    Except when they are if the story involves dungeons and trials.

Except when they are if the story involves dungeons and trials.
    In dungeons and trials, your character is the Warrior of Light and the others are people just helping you. I'm not sure why this is so hard to grasp. Your immersion can easily be retained but you're choosing to let it be broken by something that isn't canon.

In dungeons and trials, your character is the Warrior of Light and the others are people just helping you. I'm not sure why this is so hard to grasp. Your immersion can easily be retained but you're choosing to let it be broken by something that isn't canon.
    Some random people help me kill important bosses and characters and just disappear and are never even mentioned right after it concludes. It would be just as immersion-breaking if I did contracts with 5 other Geralt's when playing Witcher 3. Single-player games have an advantage over MMOs when it comes to storytelling and role-playing. It makes more sense for your character to be in the center and if the game allows, you can make decisions that decide certain outcomes. Not possible for most MMOs.

This isn't to say MMOs are doomed to have a bad story or that all single-player games are guaranteed to have a good tale, but the scope between the two genres definitely helps the ladder craft a good story arc. FFXIV devs put a lot of effort into the game's story, more effort than almost any other MMOs I've played. Regardless I wouldn't rank the story quality in my top 50.

Some random people help me kill important bosses and characters and just disappear and are never even mentioned right after it concludes. It would be just as immersion-breaking if I did contracts with 5 other Geralt's when playing Witcher 3. Single-player games have an advantage over MMOs when it comes to storytelling and role-playing. It makes more sense for your character to be in the center and if the game allows, you can make decisions that decide certain outcomes. Not possible for most MMOs.

This isn't to say MMOs are doomed to have a bad story or that all single-player games are guaranteed to have a good tale, but the scope between the two genres definitely helps the ladder craft a good story arc. FFXIV devs put a lot of effort into the game's story, more effort than almost any other MMOs I've played. Regardless I wouldn't rank the story quality in my top 50.
    Well I can't really tell you how to view a game's narrative. I'm just saying it's very easy to not let your immersion get broken by viewing it the way I described.

Actually, these "random players" are supposed to be your friends that you have tackled the last 30 huge bosses with already.
    The quests don't say "gather your friends, this is going to be difficult" and stuff like that for nothing. So it's not like they are random (ass-)pirates you found lurking around in Limsa, even if that is what you decided to do due to how MMOs and games in general work

You might as well complain about ( or view it in a similar negative light ) how you have the freedom to do cooking/fishing even though you just accepted the quest to kill the bad guy before he ends the world if that is already immersion breaking or weird for you.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2021-08-27 at 05:38 AM.