Poll: Is it time for new leadership over WoW?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    No, it's a dumb question. People should be hired on merit, talent, not for being young.

This is why Diablo 4 looks so good, cuz they hired good people for that project. And that's why all other projects look shit right now..

They should keep the D4 team, everyone else at blizzard should be fired, all the way from the top to the bottom. Hire new people with strict qualifications on talent, stop hiring purple-haired youths who spend more time on twitter than coding.

I fear Blizz will dig themselves a bigger hole by going woke n hire on 'equity' then the products will be so bad nobody will play them anymore.

Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2021-07-27 at 08:28 AM.

First off your poll is garbage. The question should be "is it time for younger/fresh leadership" because as with anything with the site people will just vote yes because they think ion personally hates them. On the flip side vote no because they think wow is perfect.

OT- i think op is on to something... I'm gonna go murder my 5 year old dog after work and get a new 1 year old dog... because it will dog better i guess?

(Fucking /s obviously)

10+ Year Old Account
    get wow fans, ppl who for them wow is a part of life not a job to earn salary to live
    but the kind of reasonable fans that a lot of ppl here are, not the kind who has body pillow of his waifu and give him leading lore position like what we have now...
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Are you seriously suggesting to discriminate people based on age?
    If Blizzard followed your "advice" they would quickly get another lawsuit on their hands.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't destroy something old without actually building something new first.

The idea that they can "just hire younger talent 4head" and somehow have these experience greenhorns take over frikkin' WoW a 17 years old titan is just silly.

It will take years for these "younger talent" to even get to the point where they can take on leadership roles. It's simply a knowledge gap issue.

So maybe the question should be - should Blizzard cultivate and grow younger talent and the answer is yes but just tossing leadership reigns over WoW on some dudes that don't even have their sword yet, it's just silly.

Some "younger talent" replacing Ion, the guy who coined "mathematically impossible" phrase back in Vanilla and is living and breathing WoW for 17 years and counting is just not going to happen. He will eventually go, but his replacement won't be some kid with 3 years of experience working on WoW.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2021-07-27 at 09:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SNES-1990 View Post
    In the wake of this controversy, now seems a good a time as any to shuffle leadership roles in Blizzard. Hand over WoW to the young people who applied to Blizzard because they grew up loving Warcraft - people who appreciate the old lore but have new ideas.

Sega did something similar in recent years and we got Sonic Mania out of it. 9.2 is already going to be super delayed anyways.
    THe correct answer is yes, and no. For there are some that need to be flushed out while others do not.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I don't think the people working at Blizz are incompetend.
    If you don't like the story fine. But i don't think it is bad. I even like Sylvannas path. This is just extremly subjective. ANd the internet just doesn't like anything right now tbh.

The game itself is gameplay wise just really... confused? they take from to many differenty points and not enough from others. It feels overall a bit barebone.
    And THAT i think is a management problem. Nearly everyone working at blizz is top notch in their respective fields. But if you have bad teamleaders and managers there is just is much you can do.
    I don't even think it is a activision problem. More the general... plan of Blizz in what they plan to do with their franchises in the future.

They have seen what riot/epic/EA/Ubisoft/SquarEnix did with MTX and got greedy... understandable so. Because those devs for some reason get away with MTX. They ran Overwatch into the ground with not developing anythign tbh. Diablo well... lets see and wait. Starcraft is basically dead. Hots got killed too despite that it had quite the big playerbase. Just not LoL big. And that is what they want. Everything else is trahs in their eyes. And that will be their downfall.

If OW2, Diablo4 and the next wow expansion will be bad... which i kinda expect given theri recent endevours. I think ActivBlizz will pull the plug on many of their current projects with slowdown in wow and more focus on mobile titles which they have been announcing for years now.
    CoD and King allready make the most of their money. Blizz is not pulling its weight anymore i am afraid.

They add younger people all the time to the teams, so dont really understand what replacing all on the team with younger ones would change, younger also often means less experienced, and also removing everyone who is old for younger ones just becouse they are younger is a good way to get sued again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Clbull View Post
    Kotick needs to go. Townsend needs to go. Brack needs to go. Hazzikostas needs to go. Pretty much any executive-level staff member who allowed the company to become the horrible workplace it apparently is needs to be purged from Activision Blizzard.

That needs to happen first before Blizzard can even think of restoring their status as a prestigious games developer.

Funny thing, of all those that have been named by victims or witnesses, Hazzikostas havent been one atleast not so far, so i can understand most name on that list but so far nothing is pointing to Hazzikostas being involved and sure he is Game director now, but thats not a position that allows him to fire or punish someone, all he could do is report it to higher ups.

And say what you want about him and he´s quality as a game developer but as a former lawyer and knowing laws im sure he wouldnt be stupid enough to not report it to higher ups if he saw something.

hell to the fuck no, twats they are hiring lately are cancerous misandrists and racists
    I give bad feedback all the time, I just dont rage or give them shit. Paying for content does not gives you the license to be an asshole.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hey There Guys its Metro View Post
    As we just got off a relatively long patch cycle that people acted like was the longest cycle ever, I don't think its a very wise decision.

Obviously if something comes up legally, then people will have to be moved out, but just randomly firing people makes no sense at all, especially if you actually were upset by this longer season 1.

Either way, I imagine we wont be seeing season 3 this year, thanks to this.
    It is nor like there is any work being done right now anyways. Might aswell burn it all down now.

Quote Originally Posted by Clbull View Post
    Kotick needs to go. Townsend needs to go. Brack needs to go. Hazzikostas needs to go. Pretty much any executive-level staff member who allowed the company to become the horrible workplace it apparently is needs to be purged from Activision Blizzard.

That needs to happen first before Blizzard can even think of restoring their status as a prestigious games developer.
    This right here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nize View Post
    They could always just cut some content they might have planned for 9.3 to save time. I'm sure at this point they know SL is dead in the water, so pulling a half-assed 9.3 so they could focus on the next box content is definitely something that's being considered, similar to WoD.
    I don't think 9.3 was happening even before this lawsuit stopped everything.

They need atleast 9.2 to finish up the story but looks like it will be released in June at the earliest.

Do that and there will be no game to play. Only political virtue signaling.

Where does the sentiment come from, that the existing culture has anything to do with the decline of the quality of the game?`

The best years of WoW were, when all the dickheads were in charge. A lot of them left already, but since it was mainly the "old guard" that created the current culture, I would not link the decline of the game (which is of course only my personal opionion) directly to the fucked up working culture at Blizzard.

Obviously I agree and some new leadership would be nice.

HOWEVER, if the overall leadership direction (which is mainly focussing on making the Shareholders happy) ist not going to change, new (and especially young) leadership without a good standing in the company to fight for their ideas won't do shit about the current direction of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Solry View Post
    Do that and there will be no game to play. Only political virtue signaling.
    exactly

/10 chars
    I give bad feedback all the time, I just dont rage or give them shit. Paying for content does not gives you the license to be an asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgomir View Post
    exactly

/10 chars
    If you are worrying about the future of the game or taking jabs on "virtue signalling" (as if it's even appropriate term to use when people oppose sexual harassment etc. like a decent human being) I'd say your priorities are fucked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    Current team has hit each ceiling ages ago. Time to hand over and quit. They have proved with SL that this is as far as they can go. Completely disconnected from what players need and just making up systems to force gold buying.

- - - Updated - - -

It all comes down to how they word the removal. In my country grounds for removal are generalized under 3 different broad categories. 1. Incompetence 2. Turning up late or not delivering in general 3. Criminal or other offenses against the company.

I think 1-2 is fair points for the old stuff and a copy of SL in the explanations field :P
    Wow is earning more money then ever, so good luck with removing someone with the base that people on internet isnt happy with the expansion, guy being removed is never going to need to work again becouse he will be rich.

I know its hard to belive, but hire younger people are not a guarantee that it will be better.
    Last edited by Raven; 2021-07-27 at 10:52 AM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magical Mudcrab View Post
    This is such a deluded take. Kotick is responsible for many problems, but this is definitely not one of them. The problems that have been revealed in Blizzard within the last week predate the merger in 2008 and are endemic to the company.

- - - Updated - - -

What do you mean? We can totally read between the lines and find that the real reason that people went to HR was to complain about the declining quality of World of Warcraft expansions and not the blatant sexism found throughout the company's leadership. /s
    Firstly, California's lawsuit suggests this is an ongoing problem with the organisation as a whole, not just Blizzard Entertainment. Blizzard and Alex Afrasiabi have been named in the lawsuit but are far from the main focus.

Secondly, I'm more surprised you're not questioning Ion's inclusion on that list. I'll be honest, he's on that list because he's been a terrible Game Director for WoW and has helped to foster a culture of contempt for fan feedback. He's also been in an elevated position since at least Battle for Azeroth. I'm not saying he's been a frat-boy or was directly involved in any of the sexual harassment or gender discrimination issues, but as I've said, this is an ongoing complaint.

Also, here's a fun fact: Kotick not only lost a sexual harassment lawsuit fifteen years ago but evidence has shown that he's had connections with Jeffrey Epstein. Yes, that Epstein. I think these two points alone are very problematic for a CEO.
    Last edited by Clbull; 2021-07-27 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey There Guys its Metro View Post
    As we just got off a relatively long patch cycle that people acted like was the longest cycle ever
    Because it was literally the longest first patch ever?

So long as they spray down those reins with lysol and are instructed to stay 50 feet away from anyone "young" while handing them over.