Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Perhaps it's time for a Change

Given the surge in Popularity of FFXIV and in light of the events within Blizzard. Perhaps It's time for MMO Champion to make a more solid official partnership with SquareEnix and a shift in direction. If not completely then at least start the groundwork. For years I have enjoyed Final Fantasy 14 and other MMO's but their lack of really solid coverage in the form of Fansites at the level of MMOChampion was one of THE reasons I came back to WoW.

Good or Bad WoW has amazing game coverage. From WoWhead, to Icyveins, and MMOChamp, just to name a few. Lets not also forget Petopia for hunters and all the myriad of Crafting sites, (which is kind of ironic considering how brainless most of the wow crafting is compared to other games.)

Anyhow right now many gaming media outlets are flat out refusing to cover anything Blizzard until a more thorough change with it's worker policies.

TLDR; I think one of the Key things FFXIV is missing is better and more fansites I think with enough player support we can make that happen.
    Last edited by Zodiark; 2021-07-28 at 01:18 AM.

inb4 close - there is a FF subforum to discuss FF - i recomend going there. #NoChanges
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

FF14 already has plenty of fansites. Also maybe try posting in the correct section; this thread has nothing to do with WoW.

You are correct I should have perhaps posted there BUT. Many wow players HAVE been trying 14 out recently so there is decent interest. So yes perhaps writing in THAT forum would have been the correct thing I still think it's pertinent since I am/was a WoW player for 15 years.

As far as plenty of fan sites. IDK I've been playing for some time now and I know maybe one or two. Which as of this writing I can't even remember the name of. NOTHING to the level of WoWhead and Icy.
    Last edited by Zodiark; 2021-07-28 at 01:33 AM.

Perhaps the fact that you can only find one or two sites says something about the popularity of that game.

Perhaps.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

I'd rather keep the video games separate, thanks. Tried FF twice. Not a big fan. I'll stick with WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Zodiark View Post
    As far as plenty of fan sites. IDK I've been playing for some time now and I know maybe one or two. Which as of this writing I can't even remember the name of. NOTHING to the level of WoWhead and Icy.
    Sites will arise when there is enough demand for it.

Perhaps. With the newfound popularity I think there might just be that demand but it will take someone with the chops to capitalize on it.

Problem is most of these sites started and still are manly news sites. MMO-CHampion and wowhead.

There is a strong demand for datamining. I did not get that demand from FF14 tbh. is it even possible there?

If you cannot do this most is just... well forums. And there are many forums for FF14. If the demand grows i am sure even MMO-CHampion will expand the subforum.... probably.

But FF14 is just a different... demographic?

MMO-Champ is first and foremost a WoW based site. It also has smaller sub boards for other mmos that they stopped making because no one really has interest in those boards.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is why FFXIV fans can be annoying. They're so obsessed with the WoW vs FFXIV bullshit. They're dying for their game to become more popular so they don't mind using cases such as this one to try to bring up their game. Pretty fucking obnoxious.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    This is why FFXIV fans can be annoying. They're so obsessed with the WoW vs FFXIV bullshit. They're dying for their game to become more popular so they don't mind using cases such as this one to try to bring up their game. Pretty fucking obnoxious.
    I can tell you, "us" (the actual FFXIV fans) are sick and tired of these people as well, wasting ingame chat with this b/s... can't we just give em all to Runescape?

If you want massive upvotes on the FF14 reddit, just talk about how much wow is shit and how much you love FF14 and it's community. Before the streamer exodus to FF14, you rarely, if ever, saw anything on the wow reddit about FF14. A lot of FF14 fans place so much of their personal identity in the game, any perceived threat is a personal attack and they react.

wtf...
    its like going to fansite about horseriding and tell them to change their focus to cars as people no longer ride horses to work...

you dont like wow anymore? leave wow fansite, go to fansites about the game you like...

ideally MMO-Champion should cover all MMOs (but with an option to hide news articles for games you're not interested in) which I expect was the original plan given the name. presumably somebody has decided it's not worth hiring people to cover other games though and WoW is, like it or not, the current champion of MMOs as it seems to be making more money than any of the competition (though it's hard to be exact since we don't know the exact numbers of income and expenditure to compare the profits) and has been for a surprisingly long time

I'd rather stop playing mmos altogether than playing FF14.

Would be a great idea, its not like wow gets developed as much as in previous installments and recently there was even a message of a lead system design wow dev that they stop development until their internal problems are solved.

There are so many other mmos out there that got some interests lately, not just FF14, tho, which i admit i am currently playing due to nostalgia(played FF4-7, in the 90ies), but there is ESO, Ashes of Creation, New World etc.

Dataming is cool as long there is data to mine i guess.

Lets move on.(well, i certainly do)

Given the surge in Popularity of FFXIV and in light of the events within Blizzard. Perhaps It's time for MMO Champion to make a more solid official partnership with SquareEnix and a shift in direction. If not completely then at least start the groundwork. For years I have enjoyed Final Fantasy 14 and other MMO's but their lack of really solid coverage in the form of Fansites at the level of MMOChampion was one of THE reasons I came back to WoW.

Good or Bad WoW has amazing game coverage. From WoWhead, to Icyveins, and MMOChamp, just to name a few. Lets not also forget Petopia for hunters and all the myriad of Crafting sites, (which is kind of ironic considering how brainless most of the wow crafting is compared to other games.)

Anyhow right now many gaming media outlets are flat out refusing to cover anything Blizzard until a more thorough change with it's worker policies.

TLDR; I think one of the Key things FFXIV is missing is better and more fansites I think with enough player support we can make that happen.
    odd how @Aucald hasn't closed this thread down...

Nah thanks, keep that boring 2.5 Seconds GCD, clunky Snorefest out of here as much as possible. What you want covered next? Every Pay2Win Asia Grinder?
    War within is boring and lazy - beat me to it.

Perhaps. With the newfound popularity I think there might just be that demand but it will take someone with the chops to capitalize on it.
    If you actually bothered to look at the Lodestone, you'd see that a fansite basically isn't needed. It already does 90% of what fansites do. The rest is covered by the Balance Discord (and the links to guides "like wowhead" within it)

It's awfully telling when a 10 year old account that has barely a handful of posts, and named after something from that game... Is all but demanding a fansite dedicated to an entirely different game, starts covering their game more. Like lol. Next you're gonna go to Diablofans and tell them to cover Path of Exile.

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post

I don't think it's fair to label people like these as "FFXIV fans" moreso than "WoW haters" - Any actual fan of <x> game is going to be playing <x>. Not going around to other game sites telling them how great <x> is, and how shit <y> and <z> are.

PS, using your same term... """WoW fans""" do this exact same thing you're decrying.
    Last edited by Ryzeth; 2021-07-28 at 07:52 PM.