Page 32 of 55 FirstFirst ...
22
30
31
32
33
34
42
... LastLast
  1. #621
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimin View Post
    Or because they choose that path themselves. I've yet to see a teacher or anybody else going to a girl and telling them "NO! No, no STEM for you! You go work as a secretary, girl!".
    Yours is just a fable amongst many, but with no real adherence to reality. Women are more than encouraged and helped into getting into Stem nowadays, but they're not as much. By their own choice.

    At some point you'll have to admit that you can't solve all difficult questions with "oppression!" as an answer.
    Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I can very much tell you that this type of mentality does indeed exist. Women are very commonly discouraged from going into STEM fields. I'd say that commonality is less so than in recent decades but still happens.

    Again, these efforts are data driven using statistical modelling. People aren't just out here guessing what their demographics should be like.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Magnagarde View Post
    No field of work marred by forced "education" in "systemic issues" and "diversity" can be called professional.

    Besides, education can be, in some places still is and largely was indoctrination. The catholic church was the educational go-to institution for "knowledge" and literacy in the medieval ages. That doesn't mean that educating people about burning others at stake and other abhorable instruments of the inquisition represent education. In other words, what you call education history may very well look back upon as indoctrination.
    I didn't go to school to learn anything about diversity. I earned a PhD in Math. I apply my skills to create statistical models to calculate expected outcomes. I get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for it. I believe that makes me a professional.

  2. #622
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    So you’re basing every case of sexual harassment on one case you’ve experienced first hand. Well, I’ve only ever been racially abused by two black men in my entire life BUT I’ve had countless number of white peoples stereotype me in a negative fashion based on my race. Should I now assume that all black men are racist and all white people stereotype me negatively? Hint. NO.
    Nope, but you should also not just automatically believe anyone on any accusations, especially not in the metoo times, when a lot of people started their smear campaigns for monetary gain. And if you think not a single soul would ever dare to use a legal proceeding to unjustly gain money then you live in a fairy tale world.

  3. #623
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Maybe, but not better games as the last 15 years has showed us. I prefer an all white male dev team if it means games are better
    you assume they would be? weird take

  4. #624
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluvs View Post
    Cool story, but your story is he said, she said.

    Blizzard story is more like, he shut up, she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said * Inhale * she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said.

    It seems to me that either: you have a superficial grasp of the Blizzard's Story, or you want to bash the me too movement.

    Regardless of your intention, I don't think you defending the side that has verifiable sex predators is the right move.
    Yes and a 100 she would say stuff like that if winning the lawsuit meant they can buy a house for themselves for no effort at all.

  5. #625
    Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter3000 View Post
    I didn't go to school to learn anything about diversity. I earned a PhD in Math. I apply my skills to create statistical models to calculate expected outcomes. I get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for it. I believe that makes me a professional.
    Getting paid for doing something doesn't mean you are being paid for something senseful. In fact, I've been witness to a lot of programmes, state funded ones, that are simply syphoning out a lot of money that could objectively be used for better things.
    Last edited by Magnagarde; 2021-07-28 at 04:10 PM.

  6. #626
    Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter3000 View Post
    Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I can very much tell you that this type of mentality does indeed exist. Women are very commonly discouraged from going into STEM fields. I'd say that commonality is less so than in recent decades but still happens.

    Again, these efforts are data driven using statistical modelling. People aren't just out here guessing what their demographics should be like.

    - - - Updated - - -



    I didn't go to school to learn anything about diversity. I earned a PhD in Math. I apply my skills to create statistical models to calculate expected outcomes. I get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for it. I believe that makes me a professional.
    Explain Scandinavia then.

  7. #627
    Weeb Queen Video Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Portland (send help)
    Posts
    15,171
    Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter3000 View Post
    you assume they would be? weird take
    There's just been a funny correlation between more and more diversity and worse and worse games, so yeah.

  8. #628
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    I lean left in most ways, but I can understand the need for fiscal conservatism on some things. Not stuff like healthcare obviously. Or housing. I believe the essentials are non negotiable, but that the political guardrails on financial management need to be maintained. Old school conservatism. I’m definitely not socially conservative, that’s for sure.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Oh you mean that dumb isolated incident. Woo. Surely that makes all women evil and devious.
    makes all women evil and devious? No. Show you that there are liars in the world and believing everything cause they said they are the victims is retarded? Yes.

  9. #629
    Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter3000 View Post
    you assume they would be? weird take
    Why would it be weird?
    It's what we had for decades during the golden age of videogames when countless, timeless masterpieces where produced and are still played today, way before the first accusations of "toxic masculinity" and the need to "diversify the workplace in vidya" started popping out.

  10. #630
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    There's just been a funny correlation between more and more diversity and worse and worse games, so yeah.
    Don't forget movies, and series as well. Diversity and inclusivity are the death of creativity.

  11. #631
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Maybe it's hard to have faith in claims of more equitable hiring practices when so often it's used as a PR stunt. I hope you're right, though. I don't think positive discrimination (for a lack of a better term, I know people are going to take issue with it, but whatever) is a good way to go if you want to approach the neutral ground that is "hire anyone for their qualifications and don't worry about what they look like."
    One of the most common recommendations we make to improve equity in the hiring process is to separate the decision maker from the applicant as much as possible. This is done through a verity of methods. Most commonly, structured blind interviews are conducted and typically done so by someone who is an expert in the subject matter but not directly working with the ultimate decision maker. There is evidence that this alone helps reduce bias as the person evaluating the candidate is likely to be influenced by their potential biases when they know they're not selecting someone to work for them. We also recommend, when possible, to have the option of providing written responses. This is a common choice by those with certain disabilities that would be apparent from a live interview. At the end of the day though, one of the most common problems identified is just having very ill-structured and inconsistent interviewing methods that vary greatly from one applicant to another. So the number one recommendation is just being more consistent in their process. This also helps better narrow down where potential issues may exist.

    I just wanted to provide some examples of the type of thought that goes into these issues. It's far from how most posters in this thread describe them as just being "hire more of X!".

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivarr View Post
    I'm basing this off the CS being a white male dominated study and video games being a white male dominated hobby, provided we're not including mobile. Together this makes it more likely that white guys apply for these positions than anyone else.

    The weakness in all of this are the recruiters. If applicants need to reflect the people who get hired then companies still have means to skew the people who get to apply. Tricky.



    Because fewer women apply for senior positions than men do. This means that for Nike to suddenly receive more female applicants it would require to be a fluke. You ought to know this considering you claim this is your field.
    Why are you assuming they're suddenly receiving more female applicants? Maybe they were receiving that proportion of applicants the entire time.

    You're the one here making weird assumptions about things you can't possibly know.

  12. #632
    Pit Lord Sluvs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    The void
    Posts
    2,367
    Quote Originally Posted by Straga21 View Post
    Yes and a 100 she would say stuff like that if winning the lawsuit meant they can buy a house for themselves for no effort at all.
    Just so I can understand your position, you believe Afrasiabi to be innocent and all the women that came forward with allegations to be lying for some ulterior motive, when Afrasiabi himself did not come forward and said he was innocent.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

  13. #633
    Weeb Queen Video Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Portland (send help)
    Posts
    15,171
    Quote Originally Posted by Straga21 View Post
    Don't forget movies, and series as well. Diversity and inclusivity are the death of creativity.
    Yeah. Japan, which has no diversity except some women, still make good games. Very weird.

  14. #634
    Quote Originally Posted by Straga21 View Post
    Diversity and inclusivity are the death of creativity.
    just say you hate things you aren't familiar with lmao. this is so pathetic.

  15. #635
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnagarde View Post
    Getting paid for doing something doesn't mean you are being paid for something senseful. In fact, I've been witness to a lot of programmes, state funded ones, that are simply syphoning out a lot of money that could objectively be used for better things.
    whatever you say.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    There's just been a funny correlation between more and more diversity and worse and worse games, so yeah.
    Where? You have proof of this?

  16. #636
    Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter3000 View Post
    Where? You have proof of this?
    their ass. is my educated guess.

  17. #637
    Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    just say you hate things you aren't familiar with lmao. this is so pathetic.
    Please point me where I've said that.

  18. #638
    Quote Originally Posted by Straga21 View Post
    Please point me where I've said that.
    as if you've provided any sort of nuance or explanation of your position, I'm going off what you say, not what's in your head.

  19. #639
    Weeb Queen Video Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Portland (send help)
    Posts
    15,171
    Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter3000 View Post
    whatever you say.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Where? You have proof of this?
    Have you played any western game recently? Huge backlash to almost all of them because they're just bad, buggy and/or unfinished all while all these companies say diversity and inclusion is paramount to the company

  20. #640
    Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    their ass. is my educated guess.
    World of Warcraft.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •