Page 30 of 55 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Yeah, and offering women less money for the same job has been illegal for over.. what, two decades?

Yet if I were to bring that up, I'd undoubtedly get people rolling their eyes and going "heh, yeah well that doesn't mean anything because they do it anyway, educate urself sweaty" Not saying you would say that, but I've had retorts of similar nature before.
    I'm not talking about the legality of it. Obviously such practices are illegal but regardless, it's still not a common practice to have such shallow diversity efforts. it's very unfortunate when people take the easy way out and because it does negatively impact those who are trying to do this the correct way. It emboldens those that both have a legitimate worry of DEI efforts being done incorrectly and having the reverse effect on the majority group and those that just pretend that they care but in reality very much feel that even real equality is just oppressing the white man. I would rather a company do absolutely nothing than attempt to hire minorities for the sake of hiring minorities and pretending like they're doing something good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Straga21 View Post
    No, I just know people, people who have worked. In fact, we had a harassment complaint half a year ago. It was hilarious, a guy with a wife and kids hooked up with a female coworker, since he obviously had no intention of ditching the wife and kids, the moment it was over the whole thing somehow became sexual harresment. Which is funny cause the female worker actively showe every other female coworker the dick pics the guy sent her. After HR turned down her ridiculous claims which everyone knew were made up. She started a whole tirade of shit talking the company how it's against women and it's all about men. Which is really interesting since the manager of the entire workplace is a women. The shipping planer that's leading logistics is a women, one of our Team leaders is a woman.
    This person was an incompetent worker who went on a 2 month sick vacation and came back last week to resign. But in her deluded mind it's all about pushing down women. The whole company was sexist against her etc etc...
    And that's just 1 of my female coworkers.
    TLDR drop the believe all wahmen shit, they are people. And people are assholes.
    Cool story, but your story is he said, she said.

Blizzard story is more like, he shut up, she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said * Inhale * she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said.

It seems to me that either: you have a superficial grasp of the Blizzard's Story, or you want to bash the me too movement.

Regardless of your intention, I don't think you defending the side that has verifiable sex predators is the right move.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    I believe Trump is a cancer on society. There is no two ways about it. I believe FOX needs to get their head out of their ass and stop fishing for ratings. When FOX does actual journalism, they're really fucking good at it. When they try to pander to the hard right for ratings, they suck balls.

I believe the political spectrum is inherently flawed. It segregates people based on a checkmark system, and is highly frustrating. Because there are enough conservative principles I'm quite comfortable with, as are many others. But holy shit if some of them aren't whacko and destructive.

You're also not allowed to say 'I've never sensed or heard that from the left'. I just did it.
    Well, I'm glad to hear it, though the movement at large isn't exactly giving off that message. I would say the same about CNN and MSNBC and the hard left as you say for FOX. I'm curious to know where you agree with conservatives though. I tend to lean more economically left myself, though I'm finding that's becoming increasingly common among conservatives as they realize that corporations being really, really powerful might not be a great idea now that they're mostly on the other side. Of course, these days corporations don't look so bad anymore to liberals for the same reason. Kind of shows people's short-sightedness.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnagarde View Post
    If your posts in this thread are anything to go by, then I pity anyone who has to rely on your "math" lol
    They all seem to be doing pretty well. Winning awards and increasing productivity while becoming a more inclusive and diverse workplace. I'm sure you would pity such things.

Imagine if even 2 or 3 people within leadership at Blizzard had the same deranged notions about women in the workplace as you do.

Not hard to then understand why it's such a fucked up place to work.

Harassment takes place. Victim complains. Straga21 is the manager responsible for handling the complaint. 'This is just metoo shit'.
    Yeah well it happened in the company i work at, check my earlier comment around page 30.
    And it's not a "deranged notion about women" I work in a 3 shift workplace but i shift over every week.
    Meaning i work with 3 different teams. All of them are entitled assholes, all blaming the other team for any failures, all thinking they are the best at the job and that it's the other team that sucks. This happens on an individual level as well, almost all of them think they are the most qualified for the job and should get promoted.
    The key difference between the males and females? The males can't sue the company saying that it must be sexism that they weren't promoted. They just have to accept that they weren't and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter3000 View Post
    I'm not talking about the legality of it. Obviously such practices are illegal but regardless, it's still not a common practice to have such shallow diversity efforts. it's very unfortunate when people take the easy way out and because it does negatively impact those who are trying to do this the correct way. It emboldens those that both have a legitimate worry of DEI efforts being done incorrectly and having the reverse effect on the majority group and those that just pretend that they care but in reality very much feel that even real equality is just oppressing the white man. I would rather a company do absolutely nothing than attempt to hire minorities for the sake of hiring minorities and pretending like they're doing something good.
    Maybe it's hard to have faith in claims of more equitable hiring practices when so often it's used as a PR stunt. I hope you're right, though. I don't think positive discrimination (for a lack of a better term, I know people are going to take issue with it, but whatever) is a good way to go if you want to approach the neutral ground that is "hire anyone for their qualifications and don't worry about what they look like."

Quote Originally Posted by Ivarr View Post
    That would be a remarkably convenient coincidence indeed.
    How exactly would that be a coincidence? This statement just doesn't make sense.

Why are you assuming it was mostly white dudes applying? You might be right but you can't know so it's a weird assumption. You also have it backwards, the demographics of those hired should reflect the demographics of those who applied.
    I'm basing this off the CS being a white male dominated study and video games being a white male dominated hobby, provided we're not including mobile. Together this makes it more likely that white guys apply for these positions than anyone else.

The weakness in all of this are the recruiters. If applicants need to reflect the people who get hired then companies still have means to skew the people who get to apply. Tricky.

How exactly would that be a coincidence? This statement just doesn't make sense.
    Because fewer women apply for senior positions than men do. This means that for Nike to suddenly receive more female applicants it would require to be a fluke. You ought to know this considering you claim this is your field.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    Not sure if you're confusing it with some other post, I don't see anything about numbers or expectations in what I replied to:

With that said, what exactly are the numbers at Blizzard, and the calculated expectations, then?
    Sorry my post was too high level for you. My mention of the applicants possibly not being very diverse would be taken into consideration when calculating expected values.

How would I know about the numbers at blizzard? I don't have access to their data.

They all seem to be doing pretty well. Winning awards and increasing productivity while becoming a more inclusive and diverse workplace. I'm sure you would pity such things.
    I work with a wide variety of people, with various ethnic and religious backgrounds. Most of them are women too. The only ones that are male are my driver and two others. I simply never look at them as a medium for "math" and mathematical division, but simply as humans.

Quote Originally Posted by Xez View Post
    Well, I'm glad to hear it, though the movement at large isn't exactly giving off that message. I would say the same about CNN and MSNBC and the hard left as you say for FOX. I'm curious to know where you agree with conservatives though. I tend to lean more economically left myself, though I'm finding that's becoming increasingly common among conservatives as they realize that corporations being really, really powerful might not be a great idea now that they're mostly on the other side. Of course, these days corporations don't look so bad anymore to liberals for the same reason. Kind of shows people's short-sightedness.
    I lean left in most ways, but I can understand the need for fiscal conservatism on some things. Not stuff like healthcare obviously. Or housing. I believe the essentials are non negotiable, but that the political guardrails on financial management need to be maintained. Old school conservatism. I’m definitely not socially conservative, that’s for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Straga21 View Post
    Yeah well it happened in the company i work at, check my earlier comment around page 30.
    And it's not a "deranged notion about women" I work in a 3 shift workplace but i shift over every week.
    Meaning i work with 3 different teams. All of them are entitled assholes, all blaming the other team for any failures, all thinking they are the best at the job and that it's the other team that sucks. This happens on an individual level as well, almost all of them think they are the most qualified for the job and should get promoted.
    The key difference between the males and females? The males can't sue the company saying that it must be sexism that they weren't promoted. They just have to accept that they weren't and move on.
    Oh you mean that dumb isolated incident. Woo. Surely that makes all women evil and devious.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimin View Post
    Or because they choose that path themselves. I've yet to see a teacher or anybody else going to a girl and telling them "NO! No, no STEM for you! You go work as a secretary, girl!".
    Yours is just a fable amongst many, but with no real adherence to reality. Women are more than encouraged and helped into getting into Stem nowadays, but they're not as much. By their own choice.

At some point you'll have to admit that you can't solve all difficult questions with "oppression!" as an answer.
    Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I can very much tell you that this type of mentality does indeed exist. Women are very commonly discouraged from going into STEM fields. I'd say that commonality is less so than in recent decades but still happens.

Again, these efforts are data driven using statistical modelling. People aren't just out here guessing what their demographics should be like.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Magnagarde View Post
    No field of work marred by forced "education" in "systemic issues" and "diversity" can be called professional.

Besides, education can be, in some places still is and largely was indoctrination. The catholic church was the educational go-to institution for "knowledge" and literacy in the medieval ages. That doesn't mean that educating people about burning others at stake and other abhorable instruments of the inquisition represent education. In other words, what you call education history may very well look back upon as indoctrination.
    I didn't go to school to learn anything about diversity. I earned a PhD in Math. I apply my skills to create statistical models to calculate expected outcomes. I get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for it. I believe that makes me a professional.

So you’re basing every case of sexual harassment on one case you’ve experienced first hand. Well, I’ve only ever been racially abused by two black men in my entire life BUT I’ve had countless number of white peoples stereotype me in a negative fashion based on my race. Should I now assume that all black men are racist and all white people stereotype me negatively? Hint. NO.
    Nope, but you should also not just automatically believe anyone on any accusations, especially not in the metoo times, when a lot of people started their smear campaigns for monetary gain. And if you think not a single soul would ever dare to use a legal proceeding to unjustly gain money then you live in a fairy tale world.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Maybe, but not better games as the last 15 years has showed us. I prefer an all white male dev team if it means games are better
    you assume they would be? weird take

Quote Originally Posted by Sluvs View Post
    Cool story, but your story is he said, she said.

Blizzard story is more like, he shut up, she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said * Inhale * she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said,she said.

It seems to me that either: you have a superficial grasp of the Blizzard's Story, or you want to bash the me too movement.

Regardless of your intention, I don't think you defending the side that has verifiable sex predators is the right move.
    Yes and a 100 she would say stuff like that if winning the lawsuit meant they can buy a house for themselves for no effort at all.

I didn't go to school to learn anything about diversity. I earned a PhD in Math. I apply my skills to create statistical models to calculate expected outcomes. I get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for it. I believe that makes me a professional.
    Getting paid for doing something doesn't mean you are being paid for something senseful. In fact, I've been witness to a lot of programmes, state funded ones, that are simply syphoning out a lot of money that could objectively be used for better things.
    Last edited by Magnagarde; 2021-07-28 at 04:10 PM.

Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I can very much tell you that this type of mentality does indeed exist. Women are very commonly discouraged from going into STEM fields. I'd say that commonality is less so than in recent decades but still happens.

Again, these efforts are data driven using statistical modelling. People aren't just out here guessing what their demographics should be like.

- - - Updated - - -

Explain Scandinavia then.

15+ Year Old Account
    There's just been a funny correlation between more and more diversity and worse and worse games, so yeah.

I lean left in most ways, but I can understand the need for fiscal conservatism on some things. Not stuff like healthcare obviously. Or housing. I believe the essentials are non negotiable, but that the political guardrails on financial management need to be maintained. Old school conservatism. I’m definitely not socially conservative, that’s for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh you mean that dumb isolated incident. Woo. Surely that makes all women evil and devious.
    makes all women evil and devious? No. Show you that there are liars in the world and believing everything cause they said they are the victims is retarded? Yes.

Why would it be weird?
    It's what we had for decades during the golden age of videogames when countless, timeless masterpieces where produced and are still played today, way before the first accusations of "toxic masculinity" and the need to "diversify the workplace in vidya" started popping out.