Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    lol... wtf? there's a lot of things that are being said on this forum that constitutes a crime under swedish law but doesn't get the threads closed or even the posts infracted... almost all posters in the off-topic section have committed defamation under swedish law...
    Except the site is owned by an American company so U.S. rules apply (I think, MMO-Champ switched hands a few times so not sure).

Hey look OP is making yet another dumb thread that should be locked.

Honestly how many threads does it take to get locked, before you just ban the person?

jesus christ ... do people like OP even know how the sound to other people?

MODERATION FASCISM!!!!!!!!!111

holy shit, get a grip ....

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    After 14 years on this website, it just keeps getting more and more annoying. And a reason why I and most likely many others have stopped posting or cut down a lot on the posting.

Now the threads are not locked because they are not allowed, but because the mod thinks the thread will derail into a not allowed topic - before it actually got there.

This is pure online fascism and the mmo-c forum is dying because of it.

Let people talk about things and allow all topics like conspiracy theories. Close only if things get illegal, aggressive, hateful etc.
    Why. What benefit would that bring the site.

Also fascism is the incorrect word. I imagine you damn well know it, and pure idiocy caused you to use it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus View Post
    I think the OP was talking about this thread: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...g-to-seduce-me

Poor Ron, one of the forum's most venerable posters, was pouring his heart out to us asking for advice for a very troublesome situation, and it got closed before he could get any help.
    Ron is a goddamn idiot. He remains the only user I've ever blocked on this forum so I'd know trash threads before I started to read them.

Big improvement with the new owners. Pretty clear to me that people were using the forum to spread their racism/insanity and actively divide people. Good riddance.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest, I have decided to stop posting. Not just here but in general.

It is the sharp side of the social media blade. It is nice to have information and being able to express opinions, discus topics, but eventually, it all becomes too much and said freedom becomes a sharp blade.

I have seen a lot of extreme mod job here at MMO-Champ, things that never happened before. Considering suspicious things offensive or cutting commenting because of "what it might become".

Have to be honest too, the mod "job" is not easy, specially because it is not a job. And you you have TONS of people who can not contribute with a productive comment, instead attacks. So in certain cases, it is a good idea to cut the threads short. Not really the mods fault but the result of a most likely accurate prediction...

Sadly, the freedom of the internet is also a blessing and a problem and we are starting to experience the problem now... Not just here, but everywhere online.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryzeth View Post
    Hey look OP is making yet another dumb thread that should be locked.

Honestly how many threads does it take to get locked, before you just ban the person?
    And...

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    No, OP. The mods are actually way too lenient on this forum. For example idiots like you should be permabanned
    Ugh!
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Oh for fuck's sake... Let's not use the word 'fascism' to describe forum moderation of all things. If you don't like the moderation and what not, fine, make a post about it, I really don't care, but don't fucking use ridiculous hyperbole that is insulting to anyone that has been directly or indirectly harmed by fascism.

I shouldn't have to tell you monumentally stupid that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Why are we using strong term for minor problems?
    Quote Originally Posted by George Orwell
    “The word Fascism has now no meaning except in so far as it signifies "something not desirable"...In the case of a word like democracy, not only is there no agreed definition, but the attempt to make one is resisted from all sides. It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it: consequently the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.”
    It is not really a "strong word" and has not been for some time now, it is essentially a curse word. The same can be said for a lot of words that get flung around the internet.

OP has a point. If you are going to have for example, a forum labelled "politics" you are going to have to accept that you are going to hear a lot of things you do not want to hear and far too often, exactly as the op has described threads get closed because they are not aligned with the mods personal views or casual insults get severely punished vs one spectrum and are let fly for free vs the other. Like all the super intelligent armchair lawyers are going to point out, this is a private site. However, if there is going to be a mod bias that goes unaddressed do the decent thing and make it publicly known that this is in fact the policy.

I personally view these forums as super casual, grain of salt type area frankly ill equipped to position itself as an authority in any particular area and truth be told that is also the attraction. Everything I personally say here is an FYI, for your discretion etc etc etc regardless of how serious I come across. So when a particular mod went on a personal crusade to shut down "climate change misinformation", sorry but this is not a task that imo this GAMING site should ever adhere to because it could be a pretty big can of worms, just as an example.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    Why though? Why give people like these a platform? Or better: MORE platforms. 9gag and 4chan are there for that. Especially these stupid conspiracy theories to rope in other stupid people and thinly veiled sexism/homophobia/racism under the god old "just saying"-blanket.
    ^ I agree with this 110% especially with how wacko these conspiracy theories can get, this is a video game forum and many theories these days dive into politics.

Plenty of other places to go if you wish to discuss such.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post

I have seen a lot of extreme mod job here at MMO-Champ, things that never happened before. Considering suspicious things offensive or cutting commenting because of "what it might become".

I have like 7 PAGES of scrapbot messages and "infractions".

Yeah, it gets to be too much and it's for the "little" nitpick things like a link to a music video to YouTube whining. Or, what told me it's time to take a vacation was even before Trump came around, was the "conspiracy" talk warnings (that was here in 2015 already).

Even if you provided evidence, some weasel will come in nitpick and report you (which after the Blizzard Warlock dev incident ["But no Blizzard employee posts on MMOC! Stop that nonsense talk now!!!] we found posting here, that Blizzard employees would be here to "moderate" themselves as third parties, despite all the mioderators protesting otherwise).

In my book if you don't promote killing others and defaming others, let it go folks. Go on your immaculate social media feed and your perfect PC followers there and cry, because you can't handle a debate, and simply want to ban anyone who speaks differently than you nonsense, that you link to THERE and try to police HERE to not upset YOUR followers crap).
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

15+ Year Old Account
    Do you want to get MMO Champion to also be investigated for 2 years by the state of California ?
    Death to the Alliance. Death to the Horde. Death to the Living.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ursus View Post
    I think the OP was talking about this thread: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...g-to-seduce-me

Poor Ron, one of the forum's most venerable posters, was pouring his heart out to us asking for advice for a very troublesome situation, and it got closed before he could get any help.
    If it is that thread, then it is completely clear why the thread needed to be locked just by reading its OP.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Same story on virtually any forum on the internet.

Let's face it, people who moderate websites for free aren't exactly social butterflies. This is likely the only power they have over people anywhere, of course they are going to use it.

On the other hand, Twitter and the like has shown us that "professional" moderation isn't much better. It will always be abused. Human nature I suppose.

Mods are WAY too lenient on this site. Most poaters who got infracted and banned deserved it. Bans should even increase in length and they schould hand out permabans to users who multiaccount.

If anything most trolling here goes unpunished.

15+ Year Old Account
    Unfortunately stupid threads generally encourage stupid people to post stupid things. This is the reason things like Godwin's Law exist. If it's clear it's going to devolve why wait until it does? You still have the opportunity to take you dumbassery to reddit or 4chan if you need to be heard.

10+ Year Old Account
    their forums, their rules. that being said, I agree that they're too anti-speech, but it's okay.
    if people can't handle words, there's not just a problem with the author of the words.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why not allow open discussion? If a point can't stand to scrutiny or debate, protecting it by disallowing dissenting speech does no good.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by phattsao View Post
    Same story on virtually any forum on the internet.

Let's face it, people who moderate websites for free aren't exactly social butterflies. This is likely the only power they have over people anywhere, of course they are going to use it.

On the other hand, Twitter and the like has shown us that "professional" moderation isn't much better. It will always be abused. Human nature I suppose.
    This is my biggest gripe with social media moderation, and why I don't use any real social media.

That, and as you can see in this thread, people would rather shun and silence people with a differing mindset. It's regressive.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

After 14 years on this website, it just keeps getting more and more annoying. And a reason why I and most likely many others have stopped posting or cut down a lot on the posting.

Now the threads are not locked because they are not allowed, but because the mod thinks the thread will derail into a not allowed topic - before it actually got there.

This is pure online fascism and the mmo-c forum is dying because of it.

Let people talk about things and allow all topics like conspiracy theories. Close only if things get illegal, aggressive, hateful etc.
    nahhh thats literally what a moderator does. this isnt parlor. thats what unmoderated places get you when you grow to a big size

Do you allow strangers to come into your home and tell you how to run things? What the rules will be, contrary to your own?