Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bullseyed View Post
    There were no "first ones" before "Danuser was in charge" so this is incredibly stupid.
    did you read what I wrote? I said before Danuser people thought of Elune as a more capital-G God of warcraft, from how she was described and so on.

then I said: BEFORE THIS CINEMATIC, some people theorised she was a first one

obviously, we only learned of the first ones this xpac. And when we did, many people made that jump for Elune based on her past descriptions and such.

Quote Originally Posted by bullseyed View Post
    Has all the same status and power as ever, we just now know of other layers of power above. Just like the Titans, Void Lords and Old Gods.
    no, she's been nerfed cause beings like the Eternal Ones, pantheons or w.e have limitations and such. For example, we know Elune is not omniscient or omnipotent due to her not knowing about what was happening in the SL, and not being able to do anything about it.

the first ones are described or thought of as the beings that maybe literally created the entire warcraft universe itself: the cosmic powers, the shadowlands and all that. So their power is tiers above what the eternal ones, pantheons are.
    Last edited by voidox; 2021-07-29 at 03:09 AM.

I find it funny how one of the only things Elune did to aid the night elves was to make their deaths in the Burning of Teldrassil painless... only for those painless deaths to be immediately followed by ceaseless, eternal torment within the Maw. Thanks Elune, very cool

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by voidox View Post
    did you read what I wrote? I said before Danuser people thought of Elune as a more capital-G God of warcraft, from how she was described and so on.

then I said: BEFORE THIS CINEMATIC, some people theorised she was a first one

obviously, we only learned of the first ones this xpac. And when we did, many people made that jump for Elune based on her past descriptions and such.

no, she's been nerfed cause beings like the Eternal Ones, pantheons or w.e have limitations and such. For example, we know Elune is not omniscient or omnipotent due to her not knowing about what was happening in the SL, and not being able to do anything about it.

the first ones are described or thought of as the beings that maybe literally created the entire warcraft universe itself: the cosmic powers, the shadowlands and all that. So their power is tiers above what the eternal ones, pantheons are.

The problem with your statement, regarding Elune, is Blizzard never called Elune anything directly. That is an issue many readers/players/etc have when it comes to storytelling. They make assumptions based on limited information.

Despite Blizzard's failings, they've been pretty consistent on *not* giving grandiose titles to beings.

Once upon a time, we considered Sargeras the 'big bad' of WoW. The story was told and we found out he was definitely 'a big bad' but not 'the' big bad.

Same goes for Elune. At no point was she ever explicitly stated as 'The One Above All' 'The God' or what have you. Assumptions were made based on what NPCs stated (and knew) and little else. But the npcs (and us) have faulty, incomplete information. And we always will, because a good storyteller won't necessarily lay out all of the information in the story itself.
    Personal Preference and Opinions ≠ Facts, Truth, or Logic

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently she sits on her fat ass making wisps once in a while unless she doesn’t from as far as I can tell.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

7+ Year Old Account
    She can conjure a fire tornado for the Horde to kill several of her followers in Desolace
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by Molvonos View Post
    The problem with your statement, regarding Elune, is Blizzard never called Elune anything directly. That is an issue many readers/players/etc have when it comes to storytelling. They make assumptions based on limited information.

Despite Blizzard's failings, they've been pretty consistent on *not* giving grandiose titles to beings.

Once upon a time, we considered Sargeras the 'big bad' of WoW. The story was told and we found out he was definitely 'a big bad' but not 'the' big bad.

Same goes for Elune. At no point was she ever explicitly stated as 'The One Above All' 'The God' or what have you. Assumptions were made based on what NPCs stated (and knew) and little else. But the npcs (and us) have faulty, incomplete information. And we always will, because a good storyteller won't necessarily lay out all of the information in the story itself.
    uh, okay? what exactly is your point here?

you understand I used the words: "thought of, theorised", that's what people in the lore community do for literally any fiction/media. How is there a problem with making theories and such based off information we have and predicting things?

and this has nothing to do with the point I was originally making

• The ability of calming races engaged in battle by singing a song of peace at night, until sunrise.
    The ability to heal or grant a follower the gift of healing.
    • She also created a physical shield around Tyrande to prevent her from coming to harm in Azshara's palace, defending her from the likes of the jealous Lady Vashj.
    • Causing a rain of solid moonlight to fall when her priestesses face enemies.
    • Elune created the wildkin to watch over sacred sites.
    • She made nightsabers silver and black so they could meld into the shadows on a moonlit night.
    • Elune created the Gem of Elune to allow direct communication with her.
    • Elune provides her chosen High Priestess with psychic visions, warning her about a possible trouble or giving hope in times of despair.
    • Elune appears to be capable of cleansing the deepest corruption from a living creature. Notable examples of this are her salvation of Avrus Illwhisper, redeeming the Fallen Priestess into her original form, and in particular her redemption of Eranikus.
    • In Warcraft III, Tyrande states that she relies upon Elune's power to remain hidden during the night. The night elf racial, [Shadowmeld], is a blessing of Elune upon the night elves.
    • The night elf racial [Touch of Elune] provides all night elves with a special passive benefit at all times, slightly increasing their Haste and Critical Strike during the night and day, respectively.
    • The talent [Fury of Elune] allows balance druids to directly call upon the power of Elune, calling down "a beam of pure celestial energy" to inflict Astral damage against enemies.
    • Other druidic abilities and talents such as [Moonfire], [Elune's Guidance], [Full Moon], and [Blessing of the Ancients] appear to call upon Elune's power as well, sometimes alongside that of An'she, as well as [Starfall], an iconic druidic ability shared by Tyrande and the Priestesses of the Moon.
    • Elune is depicted to have some power over the element of water, or at least over the tides, permanently banishing water spirits using the [Orb of Elune], and Ebonhorn was also able to use [Mu'sha's Tears] to represent the element of water in a ritual in order to see the ancient past.
    • It is believed that Elune granted the Scythe of Elune to Velinde Starsong.
    • Elune blessed the Ancient Guardian Omen with immortality.
    • She granted a vision to Zamael Lunthistle to recognize the wrong he did.
    • After worgen arrived to Darnassus, Elune granted Tyrande a vision of Goldrinn being killed by demons during their first invasion, and of a spectral wolf, indicating the coming of King Wrynn to the city and Garrosh's assault on Ashenvale.
    • Guided the spirit of Shalasyr from her remains and allowed her husband, Jarod Shadowsong, to relive all the tender moments of their marriage. Meant to be a private experience, Elune showed only Jarod what she did, even excluding Tyrande who was officiating the funeral.
    • When Ysera was corrupted by the Emerald Nightmare and mournfully killed by Tyrande, tendrils of moonlight reached down from a lunar eclipse and cleansed both Ysera and the Tears of Elune from the Nightmare's taint. Vegetation also grew where Ysera's corpse had lain after it vanished in the daylight.
    • When Broxigar's hand was burned by Illidan Stormrage, Tyrande prayed to Elune, and a stream of silver light encompassed the priestess and wrapped around Brox's hand. As the moonlight touched his fingers, in a few seconds the burned flesh healed, the gaps where bone showed through regrew, and the horrific injury utterly vanished.
    • When Tyrande was captured by Queen Azshara's men, she was locked up in a cell. Elune protected her from all physical and magical harm while she was imprisoned, making her immune to torture. The Highborne thus tried to starve her, but Elune had also greatly diminished her need for sustenance.
    • Blessed kaldorei banners.
    • Shrouded the entire region of Darkshore in perpetual darkness by causing an unnatural lunar eclipse, greatly empowering all the night elves and worgen who fought with Tyrande to successfully reclaim kaldorei lands.
    • Daniss Ghostdancer channels the power of Elune into the Drums of Primal Might (although noting that Elune's power was taxed by Tyrande being the Night Warrior), allowing the harnessing of the "raw, primal might of the slain beasts" into "instruments of destruction" against the Horde.

Elune created Moonkins it was confirmed back in Vanilla. in Winterspring quest

also it was theorized that Elune transformed trolls into kaldorei, not Well of Eternity
    it could be controversial, as in WC3 we see Dark Trolls, who are progenitors of Kaldorei, living around Mount Hyjal, who are still trolls. also we see Elune worshipping Trolls in Zuldazar,who are still trolls

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by masterjc View Post
    Elune created Moonkins it was confirmed back in Vanilla. in Winterspring quest

also it was theorized that Elune transformed trolls into kaldorei, not Well of Eternity
    it could be controversial, as in WC3 we see Dark Trolls, who are progenitors of Kaldorei, living around Mount Hyjal, who are still trolls. also we see Elune worshipping Trolls in Zuldazar,who are still trolls
    If Elune created Cenarius by mating with the stag Malorne , who or what did she mate with to create moonkins ???

Quote Originally Posted by BDu View Post
    If Elune created Cenarius by mating with the stag Malorne , who or what did she mate with to create moonkins ???
    Since the creature is a mix of several things, i'd say she had an orgy
    Antlers from Malorne, upright posture from her, and Owl appearance from an Owl Wild God.

Quote Originally Posted by BDu View Post
    When a druid of the talon and a druid of the claw love each other very much Elune gets them to mate in their animal forms for her entertainment because she's a freak. 9 months later one of them gives birth to a bear egg and after 2 weeks an abomination hatches.

Fun fact: Moonkin can transform into a humanoid, bear or bird form but never bother switching because they are all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Neverafter View Post
    We know she granted Tyrandae the powers of the Night Warrior.
    I wouldnt agree with this. I think Tyrande FORCED elune to give her the powers of the Night Warrior with the forbidden Night Warrior ritual. Tyrande literally says in that cinematic, "WIth ancient words, I Invoke your most ruthless phase. ... I DEMAND to wear your darkest face".

I dont think Elune willingly just granted the power on a whim because she felt like it. She was invoked, and I think Elune was compelled to oblige.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by TyrianFC View Post
    I wouldnt agree with this. I think Tyrande FORCED elune to give her the powers of the Night Warrior with the forbidden Night Warrior ritual. Tyrande literally says in that cinematic, "WIth ancient words, I Invoke your most ruthless phase. ... I DEMAND to wear your darkest face".

I dont think Elune willingly just granted the power on a whim because she felt like it. She was invoked, and I think Elune was compelled to oblige.
    I think of the Night Warrior ritual as a kind of "power on tap" mechanism, not something Elune oversees personally but simply a channel in which her power can be invoked by a petitioner, like a contract or an accord that's woven into the framework of the cosmos, so to speak. Tyrande's plight seems to be the first time in which Elune herself has interceded on behalf of a specific Night Warrior, as the rest of them appeared to have simply been consumed by the power after it had served their cause with a variety of different results (Thiernax and Khalliq having been killed outright by the power, and the Stonewright having been driven insane by it to the point she had to be put down by her former allies).

I speculate that when Tyrande called out to Elune during her fight with Sylvanas it may be the first time Elune had been made directly aware that she had invoked that specific power, and further may have played a role in preserving Tyrande (in this case, withdrawing the power somewhat) so that she could eventually be saved and not killed by what she had invoked. This is why Elune intercedes, and gives Tyrande the choice of what to actually do with the power, making her the first of the Night Warriors to survive the ordeal.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Id have to agree with all that. Tyrande tapped into a forbidden font of power / channel of sorts, it wasnt something Elune personally bestowed. Makes total sense why this kind of ritual would be forbidden.

And it makes sense that the first time Elune herself was made aware of it happening, was afterwards, at the very moment Tyrande was about to kill Sylvanas. Hence why it was yoinked away in the 11th hour. At that moment, Elune was - first and foremost - saving Tyrande from herself. The fact that Sylvanas was spared is secondary collateral caught up in that. The climax of that cinematic, with the benefit of hindsight we know now, is Elune saved Tyrande from herself (not sparring Sylvanas from Tyrande), which means we eventually worked our way to the current situation: where Tyrande can make a full-bodied informed decision of whether renewal or vengeance is the right path to take.

Id say Elune chose her actions wisely, because Tyrande's ultimate decision (choosing renewal) makes more sense. Vengeance would have lead them nowhere good...
    Last edited by TyrianFC; 2021-07-29 at 09:11 PM.

She can make it so all sylvanas actions will be forgiven, and all acts of the Horde that seems Genocide'ish, can be blamed on the warcheif at the time.

Part of the issue here is that we do not know what are Elune's powers and what are things done in her name by others and then credited to her. Does Anduin raise Calia, or does the light? Same situation can be said regarding pretty much anything that a mortal does by invoking Elune.

Quote Originally Posted by sighy View Post
    She has shown similarities to Naaru
    She forged Xe'ra and the Naaru
    Where were these shown/stated? We know the Tears of Elune were used to unlock Light's Heart and there was some tome in Karazhan that theorized Elune may have created Xe'ra, but I've seen nothing confirming the accuracy of that, particularly since we know the Tears of Elune, as a Pillar of Creation, were created by the Titans (and Elune being a life counterpart to the Eternal Ones heavily suggests she is not a titan).

Quote Originally Posted by Aresk View Post
    we know the Tears of Elune, as a Pillar of Creation, were created by the Titans (and Elune being a life counterpart to the Eternal Ones heavily suggests she is not a titan).

That's incorrect. Tears of Elune are made from.. Elune's Tears, as shown in the latest cinematic.

So Elune DO have a connexion to the Naaru, and, Blizzard being not subtle, if they implies that Elune did create the Naaru in game, it's because it's an important lore information to be used later, so we can take that as words of gods.

What can be possible is :

Elune and The Winter Queen and other future members of Pantheon roamed reality and helped the First Ones to shape the balance, so she created the Naaru at this time. Then, when the time came, she and her sister took her roles in their respective realm to make the balance works, and started the great cycle. She became a member of the Pantheon of Life.

Two things seem to go into this direction :

First , we know from the mushroom guys in Ardenweald that the Winter Queen came to Ardenweald at a certain point, meaning that the land existed before.
    secondly, from the Grimoire of Shadowlands, we know that at some point, the winter queen and Elune " parted way ", which mean they were together at some point.

Lastly, from the folkore of Azeroth book, the legend do say that Mu'sha ( Elune ) roamed the land before with her twin, An'she. So that already make two sisters and one brother being at the same place during the same Era. ( Which, on my theory, I will call" Proto Azeroth ", prior to the black empire )

Could it make sense for Elune to create the Naaru by imbuing part of the Light with Life? Of course this implies she'd have to do the same thing for everyone else like Order, Chaos, Void and...Death?

Quote Originally Posted by Neverafter View Post
    There is a lot of chatter going on in the last couple of days about Elune. Why she did this, why she didn't do that, why she let this happen, etc.

My question though, what do we actually know about Elune? What are the explicit powers that we have seen or know about?

We know she was responsible for Ysera going to Ardenweald
    We know she granted Tyrandae the powers of the Night Warrior
    [I believe] there was a Satyr in Legion that came to regret their life and wanted to return to a Night Elf and I believe Elune granted that wish [could be mis-remembering this one]

Is that it? There has to be others I am not remembering.

Elune has been a largely absent figure in all of WoW. Perhaps I am missing other expressions of Elunes power, but perhaps the simple answer to why didn't Elune stop Sylvanus was simply because she couldn't. She doesn't have that power. We already know Elune isn't All-Knowing, as she didn't know all the souls were going to the Maw. Her connection to the Winterqueen may have been enough to let her know there was a soul shortage. She didn't have the power to stop Sylvanus, but she could help some of their suffering and [thought] she could ensure their resting place in Ardenweald.
    I don't think we can completely say. It's similar to how we can't yet fully say what the Winter Queen can really do. It seems to be certain that as the Winter Queen watches over restoring the spirits, Elune watches over their "reincarnation" (loose term since the nature spirits are not really felshy) in the world of the living. She might be the one that provides them with their bodies again when their souls return from Ardenweald.

That at least would make sense from their respective roles as stated by the Primus. The question is if Elune is part of a Life Pantheon like the Winter Queen is part of the Death Pantheon. And then who else is on it? Eonar as the likely strongest representative of Life in our dimension definately should be, but otherwise? Hard to say.

She has some kind of cosmic powers of creation that's for sure. She is able to move celestial bodies around a star system at will (creating eclipses), and create entirely new constellations.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..