Page 20 of 49 FirstFirst ...
10
18
19
20
21
22
30
... LastLast
  1. #381
    Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    5,936
    Quote Originally Posted by Trbn View Post
    Worker participation in oversight of hiring and promotion policies.

    KEKW
    Yeap, that is like, too much. Unions can do that representing them I guess tho.

  2. #382
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    Like I said, try taking that attitude in finance for example, and see how that roles out for you.

    Work life balance is absolutely a focus, but not in the hard and fast way you try and paint it. If there's work to do, there's work to do.
    You have shitty laws. Ok, too bad.
    But what part of: don't like it, don't sign it, is too difficult to understand? No one can bitch after the fact if they have signed a contract.

  3. #383
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    I know dude.

    What I'm saying is some people will run with that and go 'WHY CAN'T I DISCUSS TITS AND ASS IN PUBLIC IF THEY DISCUSS DICKS IN PRIVATE?'
    Well that's different. But this discussion is about doing it in private only. Since the screenshot in question is private. Obviously doing it in public can make people uncomfortable.

    Edit: Rather, the screenshot WAS private. I really wonder how it got leaked.

  4. #384
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    I know dude.

    What I'm saying is some people will run with that and go 'WHY CAN'T I DISCUSS TITS AND ASS IN PUBLIC IF THEY DISCUSS DICKS IN PRIVATE?'
    A group chat is hardly public. Unless someone leaks it.

  5. #385
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    No one on a salary gets paid overtime unless it is so extreme that payment is required by law. That's literally the point of a salary, it's fixed restitution regardless of hours worked compensated by a higher base value (still to the company's favour).

    Employers know it's cheaper to hire an accountant at 70k salary than it would be to hire them at a 50k wage when they know they'd be paying through the nose for overtime come tax season. Why do you think no one gets paid a wage in white-collar jobs?
    That is not true at all. My previous company was paying every single hour of overtime at a double rate (be it after work hours or weekend work). But they also had a late counter where at 8 hours of missing work, you'd get 1 day of pay taken off.

    My current company does not pay overtime (though it's rarely needed anyway), instead it's up to us to use those overtime hours to skip work at some other point. Like if I do 3 hours of overtime on tuesday, I can leave 3 hours earlier on friday or rather work 3 hours less, since we have a flexible schedule.

  6. #386
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    You have shitty laws. Ok, too bad.
    But what part of: don't like it, don't sign it, is too difficult to understand? No one can bitch after the fact if they have signed a contract.
    Maybe, just maybe, ask people in finance in Finland or any other technically driven industry what it's like. Not everything is theatre.

    If you think that you can get a job in such industries and start off with 'yo, I want overtime for extra hours of work', you'll be unemployed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Well that's different. But this discussion is about doing it in private only. Since the screenshot in question is private. Obviously doing it in public can make people uncomfortable.

    Edit: Rather, the screenshot WAS private. I really wonder how it got leaked.
    So I think here's where it got complicated. They posted it in public after doing it in private. Which is where the 'line' got crossed.

    Also, it's a bad look for senior managers in a team to have that attitude towards anyone, since it asks the question of whether that impacts their treatment of colleagues. And given the fact that Afrasiabi turned out to be such a massive creep, it's hard to dissociate from the idea that it didn't.

    Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    That is not true at all. My previous company was paying every single hour of overtime at a double rate (be it after work hours or weekend work). But they also had a late counter where at 8 hours of missing work, you'd get 1 day of pay taken off.

    My current company does not pay overtime (though it's rarely needed anyway), instead it's up to us to use those overtime hours to skip work at some other point. Like if I do 3 hours of overtime on tuesday, I can leave 3 hours earlier on friday or rather work 3 hours less, since we have a flexible schedule.
    Time off in lieu is a different thing. There's always that notion of flexible working at play, which is fine.

    BUT, if you've got a seriously hairy month at hand and you ask your employer to pay you overtime, it won't happen.

    I don't think it's right, but it happens. Then multiply that issue with 'crunch' in gaming, and you have your answer.

    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    A group chat is hardly public. Unless someone leaks it.
    Yeah, like the owner of the chat leaking it himself like a fucking plank.

  7. #387
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    So basically you're just chatting shit. At least that bit is confirmed.
    and you are doing what?

  8. #388
    Quote Originally Posted by Trbn View Post
    and you are doing what?
    Outside of the situations where I'm being flippant of my own accord, I'm providing substantive information.

    Thanks for asking though. KEK!

  9. #389
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    Outside of the situations where I'm being flippant of my own accord, I'm providing substantive information.

    Thanks for asking though. KEK!
    didn't notice your mumbling is substantive information

  10. #390
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    Maybe, just maybe, ask people in finance in Finland or any other technically driven industry what it's like. Not everything is theatre.

    If you think that you can get a job in such industries and start off with 'yo, I want overtime for extra hours of work', you'll be unemployed.
    You just don't/refuse to get it. If people go into a job/field that doesn't pay for overtime, they do it knowingly. Where's the problem?

  11. #391
    Quote Originally Posted by Trbn View Post
    didn't notice your mumbling is substantive information
    SICK BURN DUDE. Oh my God, where do you get your retorts from?

  12. #392
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimin View Post
    Love the subtle hierarchy here. All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.
    lmao after endless pages of people convincing everyone that if you feel this is the case then it's you who is wrong about everything.

  13. #393
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Well that's different. But this discussion is about doing it in private only. Since the screenshot in question is private. Obviously doing it in public can make people uncomfortable.

    Edit: Rather, the screenshot WAS private. I really wonder how it got leaked.
    Afrasabi’s Facebook.

  14. #394
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    You just don't/refuse to get it. If people go into a job/field that doesn't pay for overtime, they do it knowingly. Where's the problem?
    Again, you're not understanding the situation at hand. There's an in built expectation that work will go beyond the 'set hours'.

    No one is disputing that. What you're waffling on about is that 'oh just don't do it'. If someone wants to work in finance, they have to accept it.

    It's not something you can change, since that's the culture. And THAT is the point. Some cultural changes are not possible, but where cultural changes CAN take place, they should take place.

    WHICH IS THE WHOLE FUCKING POINT OF THIS OVERALL THREAD. That the culture at Blizzard is fucked. The end.

    Holy shit, it's like talking to a caveman.

  15. #395
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    SICK BURN DUDE. Oh my God, where do you get your retorts from?
    oh yes, when you have nothing to say say that someone is burning

    first rule of argument in 2005

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    Again, you're not understanding the situation at hand. There's an in built expectation that work will go beyond the 'set hours'.

    No one is disputing that. What you're waffling on about is that 'oh just don't do it'. If someone wants to work in finance, they have to accept it.

    It's not something you can change, since that's the culture. And THAT is the point. Some cultural changes are not possible, but where cultural changes CAN take place, they should take place.

    WHICH IS THE WHOLE FUCKING POINT OF THIS OVERALL THREAD. That the culture at Blizzard is fucked. The end.

    Holy shit, it's like talking to a caveman.
    can't imagine sane person can say some shitty "cultural" things are ok and some not in a single sentence))))

  16. #396
    Elemental Lord sam86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    WORST country on earth (aka egypt)
    Posts
    8,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Doombringer View Post
    With GC, one could make the leap that he was "getting along to get by" and participated because NOT participating would earn him a black mark among his peers.

    Won't take away much of his complicity but he does seem more the type to only be at a party because he "should be."
    i agree
    he was always nice in responses, humble in interviews, regardless of his qualities of game decisions
    if he was shit it would been obvious or at least hinted, i never felt he was a bad human being ever from any interview he did, even if i hated Catacylsm class joke of pvp balance, he was talking fire (that as far i know, shouldn't take) with smile and kind, make u hate to assault him
    Ion on other hand seems the type who will organize Cosby Suite AFTER everyone knew Cosby allegations, the guy is so full of himself that he doesn't hide he thinks way too low of anyone who criticize him, he is full of shit, at least GC was a good human who did bad decisions, Ion is shit both ways, the only good thing is Ion as wow player had clear views of how to improve wow, exact opposite of Ion as wow developer, made me sure that GC and Ion are just target dummy for insults, and not in real power to do anything they want (or he is hypocrite full of shit, since he as dev is shitting on himself as player)
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

  17. #397
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    WHICH IS THE WHOLE FUCKING POINT OF THIS OVERALL THREAD. That the culture at Blizzard is fucked. The end.
    Sure sure. That's why you derailed the discussion to gender pay gap.

  18. #398
    Warchief Lulbalance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Barely Duelist
    Posts
    2,039
    This might be career ending for a lot of these guys. Greg is the only one thrashing in the net though, fascinating to watch.

  19. #399
    Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    That is not true at all. My previous company was paying every single hour of overtime at a double rate (be it after work hours or weekend work). But they also had a late counter where at 8 hours of missing work, you'd get 1 day of pay taken off.

    My current company does not pay overtime (though it's rarely needed anyway), instead it's up to us to use those overtime hours to skip work at some other point. Like if I do 3 hours of overtime on tuesday, I can leave 3 hours earlier on friday or rather work 3 hours less, since we have a flexible schedule.
    Are these people salaried or do they work for a wage? What country is this?

    The more general point is the entire purpose of a salary i.e. fixed restitution (at least in the anglosphere) is to mitigate as much as possible having to pay overtime at all or at higher rates mandated by law.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

  20. #400
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulbalance View Post
    This might be career ending for a lot of these guys. Greg is the only one thrashing in the net though, fascinating to watch.
    He should get a lawyer and keep his mouth shut lol.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •