Page 29 of 49 FirstFirst ...
19
27
28
29
30
31
39
... LastLast
  1. #561
    In regards to "it's just a joke" -- let me start with: I love dark jokes. I love dark humor. Nothing is taboo in the world of comedy. Deal with that.

    That being said -- I specifically avoid HURTFUL jokes at the cost of a person (not people, person). Meaning I will make fun of a group of people (all kinds, every kinds, even my variety of peoples from geeks to my race to my gender -- nothing is too far). However -- you never joke about a PERSON with the sole exception of politicians. I'll still avoid being specifically personal and hurtful though, but I certainly will mock certain aspects of their professional capacities.

    I make all kinds of inappropriate jokes around all kinds of people -- however I'm VERY aware not to joke about fears, for example. My wife is VERY afraid of roaches, step-kid spiders, etc. I don't do play roaches or play spiders for jump scares. I don't view those as "funny". Now I'll put a spring and glitter in a box for a jump scare.. and then bitch when I have to clean it up.

    But some personal things about people are NOT cool to joke about. For example, if my wife farted and found out she shit herself -- that's something I wouldn't joke about OR tell anyone else. It's humiliating. The point of a joke is to laugh and ADD to peoples sense of happiness. If it costs someone else's happiness, you failed because odds are it was a half joke half veiled INSULT.

    This is why I don't like Reddit's whitepeopletwitter and blackpeopletwitter -- they are racists as fuck trying to be "funny" or something. They are not.

    I also make it a point, when I'm joking, to include myself as not being perfect so I'm "lumped in with them too" so as not to imply I'm better in any way.

    It's like the "it's just a prank bro" idiots. No it fucking isn't. Your masking being an asshole as a prank. Fuck off.

  2. #562
    Spam Assassin! MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tralfamadore
    Posts
    30,929
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    Your signature should be the only explanation the person you're responding to needs.
    People see what they want to see. As much as possible it's not a bad thing to keep a grasp on reality and remind others that they may not be receiving the whole picture through the filters in their echo chambers. That applies up and down the political spectrum and is one reason why centrists are despised by both sides.
    “We live in a moment where everything immediately seems to default to outrage. There’s a kind of M.O. of either it’s exactly how I see it, or you’re my enemy.”

  3. #563
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Private corporations can do whatever they wish for whatever politically motivated reasons they have to do so. That is not a violation of the first amendment. It's a loophole for sure, but that's exactly how the government functions isn't it? Politics is a game, laws are the rules and loopholes are how they game the system to their advantage. It's no different from having an established system of voting in Senators as representatives of the people, when they spend 80% of their time and effort on making connections to get the funds for the next election campaign. It's a rigged system and social media is just part of the game.
    There's no "loophole". The first amendment ONLY protects you from the government prohibiting your speech. It does not, obviously, require a private institution to let you say whatever you wish on their website or forum.

    In fact, Facebook is exercising it's first amendment right when it edits or removes posters as it sees fit.

  4. #564
    Quote Originally Posted by Demeia View Post
    There's no "loophole". The first amendment ONLY protects you from the government prohibiting your speech. It does not, obviously, require a private institution to let you say whatever you wish on their website or forum.

    In fact, Facebook is exercising it's first amendment right when it edits or removes posters as it sees fit.
    The loophole is in assuming (based on rray's argument) that Government parties are indirectly manipulating what these private companies are choosing to prohibit.

    And from that point of view, it's still absolutely legitimate, and any Governing body going around the first amendment through indirect manipulation of social media platforms would be viewed as a loophole. Even if we tinfoil hat this conspiracy theory, it's still absolutely game. No different than allowing NRA to funnel shit tons of cash towards funding the next elections, and having the governing bodies block any and all potential gun laws as a part of the quid pro quo. Whether or not you're for or against gun laws, it's still all manipulation, all a game. That's exactly how politics is played.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-07-29 at 05:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Since Arthas used Frostmourne, which is a Runeblade, and Frostmourne's power eminates from those runes, that made him a Runemaster by default.

  5. #565
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    People see what they want to see. As much as possible it's not a bad thing to keep a grasp on reality and remind others that they may not be receiving the whole picture through the filters in their echo chambers. That applies up and down the political spectrum and is one reason why centrists are despised by both sides.
    Bingo, it’s why when some dude was like, ‘surely you’ll be happy when stuff you hate gets cancelled’. I’m like no, not if it’s without reason! Then it’s just hiding from shit that’s uncomfortable.

  6. #566
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    Your signature should be the only explanation the person you're responding to needs.
    Everyone in this thread needs a healthy dose of that.
    TEAM BUYER'S REMORSE
    Avoid the Odyssey NEO G9 Until They Un-Broke the HDR
    Remember: Opinions can't hurt you.
    Woman in Tech. Don't @ me with your vitriol for not agreeing blindly with your position.

  7. #567
    Quote Originally Posted by czarek View Post
    Oh yeah rug were lookin like sweater of billcoz. What a silly explanation rofl XD My dear Greg would be better to not explain anythin.
    It's less silly then people thinking it was a reference to a lawsuit that wouldn't become public for MONTHS

  8. #568
    I hope victims get justice and huge financial compensation (that will hit Bobby) but quitting WoW or boycotting other games because of current situation makes no sense. I don't see people stop using Amazon, Apple and other way worst companies or throwing away all their tech because the chipsets were made in the Foxconn City, and what's happening in that place makes ActiBli$$ looks like Hello Kitty's Garden Party. Quitting WoW is an equivalent of protesting against animal testing and later going to McDonald's for a double cheeseburger.

  9. #569
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Lol, they'll all be fine.

    Twatter's reaction to anything isn't very indicative of what actually goes down in the real world once the dust settles.

    Let the mob mob themselves into exhaustion, same as with the Hong Kong debacle. Then things continue as usual, although hopefully with the company making good on promises to their employees.
    i trully hope so

  10. #570
    Quote Originally Posted by PixelFox View Post
    J needs to resign and they need to promote or hire a woman into the position who can clean up their act, and it would probably be great for WoW and their other games as well.
    I find it very interesting how people think you can solve sexism with more sexism. Same goes for racism. Only solvable with more racism..

  11. #571
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Depends on the company, depends on the message.

    If you're talking about appealing to social justice overall, then I agree. But overall, these companies still choose what they wish to support, and do not have to be shy about it. Look at Chick-fil-A. Despite all the negativity surrounding their choice to promote right wing politics (donations to anti-gay charities) it's still the 3rd largest fast food chain in the US.

    And yes, Chick-fil-A has changed their stance, but the point being that all the criticism and negativite press they garnered didn't actually hurt their business all that much

    https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/5...obia-dan-cathy
    "Boycotts and negative press haven’t exactly been bad for business, but the company is still changing its giving approach."
    Certainly depends on company, chick is very special cause its not even publicly traded which gives them a lot more freedom to act out of norm. That said i think all the big corps fall under the yoke because they all publicly traded and benefit immensely from a higher rating so they cant justify going against it to investors.

  12. #572
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgran View Post
    I find it very interesting how people think you can solve sexism with more sexism. Same goes for racism. Only solvable with more racism..
    The person with the worst response from Blizzard is ironically the new woman executive that dismissed everything. Just putting someone with a vagina in charge doesn't change anything. It's honestly sad people are so naive.

  13. #573
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    People see what they want to see. As much as possible it's not a bad thing to keep a grasp on reality and remind others that they may not be receiving the whole picture through the filters in their echo chambers. That applies up and down the political spectrum and is one reason why centrists are despised by both sides.
    Centrists are despised by both sides? Is this a US perspective? Understandable if so. From a European point of view, far less so.

  14. #574
    Weeb Queen Video Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Portland (send help)
    Posts
    15,412
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
    Centrists are despised by both sides? Is this a US perspective? Understandable if so. From a European point of view, far less so.
    Yeah. Even on this site, I've been called alt right/nazi despite me being a left of center liberal. It's pretty funny

  15. #575
    Spam Assassin! MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tralfamadore
    Posts
    30,929
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
    Centrists are despised by both sides? Is this a US perspective? Understandable if so. From a European point of view, far less so.
    Yes, U.S. here. Sorry I didn't make that clear.
    “We live in a moment where everything immediately seems to default to outrage. There’s a kind of M.O. of either it’s exactly how I see it, or you’re my enemy.”

  16. #576
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Yeah. Even on this site, I've been called alt right/nazi despite me being a left of center liberal. It's pretty funny
    The further to one side someone goes, the further left/right the center looks. People abandon rationality and discourse in favor of belonging to the 'correct' group.
    TEAM BUYER'S REMORSE
    Avoid the Odyssey NEO G9 Until They Un-Broke the HDR
    Remember: Opinions can't hurt you.
    Woman in Tech. Don't @ me with your vitriol for not agreeing blindly with your position.

  17. #577
    Spam Assassin! MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tralfamadore
    Posts
    30,929
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    The person with the worst response from Blizzard is ironically the new woman executive that dismissed everything. Just putting someone with a vagina in charge doesn't change anything. It's honestly sad people are so naive.
    Without making a judgement on political spectrum values, Ms. Townsend was a member of the Trump Administration, was in line at one point to be FBI director if I'm not mistaken. Kotick hired her after the election. I see her original letter not in terms of gender but more in terms of the standard D.C. response to problems. It affects both Dems and Republicans. It was tone deaf in the extreme as it showed not the slightest knowledge of gamers or the history of gaming and gamers over the last few years. Quite frankly, if Kotick had hired a male to be in that position who had just come out of D.C. it wouldn't have been all that different.

    That's one reason why Kotick needs to have people that have worked with and in the gaming industry itself. He's not a very good ambassador to his customers so he needs to have staff that know the (t)ropes and understand what has gone on, how the industry as a whole has been and all the rest.

    But I'm fairly convinced that Ms. Townsend dashed off a reflexive response that more reflects her time in D.C. than anything useful. Tone-deaf: indeed.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2021-07-29 at 06:27 PM.
    “We live in a moment where everything immediately seems to default to outrage. There’s a kind of M.O. of either it’s exactly how I see it, or you’re my enemy.”

  18. #578
    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    Sorry, we'll do better, and apologies are just empty words with no value with regards to this.

    If GC, or the others want to REALLY appear sincere in their apology.... they'll turn state witness against the others, and give the state the missing bits of evidence. If they aren't willing to testify against one another... then their words are literally as worthless as a mafia boss "i don't recall" when talking to the feds.

    Apologies are cheap.... testimonies and turning witness? That's REAL contrition with actual value
    Picture is trash. Who confuses an elbow with a head and a foot and leg with a hand and knife?

  19. #579
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
    Centrists are despised by both sides? Is this a US perspective? Understandable if so. From a European point of view, far less so.
    I would say it extends beyond politics. Nearly any topic nowadays gets broken into 2 sides and turned into a false dillema, and if you're not in either side you are disliked by both.

    Don't know if it's more prevalent in US vs Europeans, but you can see it online every day in things as meaningless as discussions about the state of the game here, where you're either defending or attacking Blizzard, and if you disagree with anyone in either of those positions they immediately assume you are from the "other team" and that you fully defend everything that "side" defends.
    Last edited by Kolvarg; 2021-07-29 at 06:38 PM.

  20. #580
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    It's less silly then people thinking it was a reference to a lawsuit that wouldn't become public for MONTHS
    So you assume its not a referance to this lawsuit ? lol

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •