Page 37 of 49 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    But as I posted to another person, Cosby had been accused before that. Not being mainstream doesn’t mean completely unknown. Questioned employees also gave different reasons as to why it was called the Cosby suite, and some of those reasons come across as a complete lie (stating ugly walls that looked like his sweater when the walls were white).
    It's possible that it's a misunderstanding not a complete lie.

Someone said that at first, and then changed to say that there was a room at a previous conference, GDC (which was a Game Developer Conference in March 2013) with an ugly rug and that caused it to be named 'the Cosby suite', suggesting that they then doubled down on the joke even without the rug. I'm not saying that it is true or even makes sense, only that even if it looks like a complete lie there may be a truth inside it.

Misremembering and forgetting parts after that long time makes sense (especially if there was nothing traumatic for you); so we shouldn't go after everyone based on that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    Where exactly have you seen the information that the women in question were junior employees, and that they were doing that at the behest of senior employees, though?
    We don't know, nobody does, the point is this thing on its face is a hr/legal powder keg (case in point this discussion) and it should have been stepped on immediately by HR.
    Also, not sure if a party in a hotel room after blizzcon is over for the day can be considered a "company event", especially depending on when exactly it happened for which we have no information (might have happened after the party even). Employees are allowed to be friends outside of work, and a group of employees having a party together after blizzcon does not automatically make it a company event in my eyes.
    Yes, it is by default a work event. Any interaction between two employees in or out of the office is as a starting position a work event, it is up to the employer to show the interaction was so entirely removed from the course of employment it should not be considered so. Given this party took place at blizzcon and the employees in question would have not had the means or opportunity to host a party with said peoples but for blizzcon, blizzard would be pushing shit uphill to rebut the presumption.
    I agree on the potential power inbalance potential issues, and even if they were total strangers not even remotely related to the industry it would still look bad and be pretty questionable. And of course it only looks/sounds worse given the lawsuit.
    Yes, which is why HR should have shut it down not been getting down at the party, which again goes to the culture argument.
    All I'm saying is that if you look beyond how it looks/sounds like in retrospective, the few alleged facts we know don't really paint a picture that something inherently or purposefully wrong happened there. Is it possible that was the case? Sure. But based on the information I've seen there's really no way to tell without making big assumptions.
    It's very likely a stretch to think a shadowy cabal where using blizzard as a cover to intentionally in concert abuse women and all attendees of said events either approved of this or intentionally fail to act.
    Is it likely this is just emblematic of a problematic culture at blizzard that allowed predators like afrasiabi to flourish and opened the door for unequal treatment of women and minorities, probably.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

I'd love to see all the private group chat messages from all of these people that are holier than thou, ready to burn everyone with great vengeance and furious anger over some dumbass comments they made 10 years ago. This whole Cosby suite chat thing feels like a diversion from the actual problems like the working conditions and the extremely reprehensible way some women in the company were treated by certain known individuals (individuals that will pay). Sensationalism rules.

Quote Originally Posted by yorha-unit-2b View Post
    i'd love to see all the private group chat messages from all of these people that are holier than thou, ready to burn everyone with great vengeance and furious anger over some dumbass comments they made 10 years ago. This whole cosby suite chat thing feels like a diversion from the actual problems like the working conditions and the extremely reprehensible way some women in the company were treated by certain known individuals (individuals that will pay). Sensationalism rules.
    t h i s t b h

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    Yes, it is by default a work event. Any interaction between two employees in or out of the office is as a starting position a work event, it is up to the employer to show the interaction was so entirely removed from the course of employment it should not be considered so
    This is not true at all. 2 coworkers are allowed to do stuff outside of work together and it is no where near considered a work event. I hang out with my boss all the time. Theres 2 coworkers that are married. Theres 2 that are best friends. We have a group of scientists and auditors that hang out at happy hour once a month. None of these are work events.

Just a total sidetone from this Cosby chat. Metzen said he didn't work with Alex since like WOTLK and only really dealt with him at story jams.

They seem pretty pally here in 2018. So it's all just a bit muddy, really. And no, I'm not implying Metzen is a creep.

But I am saying it'll be really odd if he didn't know Alex had issues dating back that long.

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    It's possible that it's a misunderstanding not a complete lie.

Someone said that at first, and then changed to say that there was a room at a previous conference, GDC (which was a Game Developer Conference in March 2013) with an ugly rug and that caused it to be named 'the Cosby suite', suggesting that they then doubled down on the joke even without the rug. I'm not saying that it is true or even makes sense, only that even if it looks like a complete lie there may be a truth inside it.

Misremembering and forgetting parts after that long time makes sense (especially if there was nothing traumatic for you); so we shouldn't go after everyone based on that yet.
    Oh, I agree. That’s why I stated they come across that way, not that they are.

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    This is not true at all. 2 coworkers are allowed to do stuff outside of work together and it is no where near considered a work event. I hang out with my boss all the time. Theres 2 coworkers that are married. Theres 2 that are best friends. We have a group of scientists and auditors that hang out at happy hour once a month. None of these are work events.
    Blizzcon is a work event. But anyway, crazy parties happen between coworkers, all the time, everywhere (even when it isn't technically allowed). It usually only becomes a problem when something out of the ordinary happens and it goes public, such as in this case.
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2021-07-30 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    They seem pretty pally here in 2018. So it's all just a bit muddy, really. And no, I'm not implying Metzen is a creep.
    To be fair, how many times have you seen posts like "I miss Metzen"? I doubt those people met or worked with Metzen.
    Metzen obviously didn't line up like any other, people on stage knew and Afrasiabi could have been just pandering towards the general sentiment.

I wouldn't exonerate Metzen, but due to its PR nature, i take it with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Blizzcon is a work event. But anyway, crazy parties happen between coworkers, all the time, everywhere (even when it isn't technically allowed). It usually only becomes a problem when something out of the ordinary happens and it goes public, such as in this case.
    Ya blizzcon is a work event. An unofficial after party is not. I was just trying to say that the presumption that any time 2 coworkers get together defaults to a "work event" and had to be proven not to be, is false. Its the other way around.

Wife had a sanctioned party where everyone was invited on a river boat to drink and party for 3 hours. That's a "work event" since its set up by management. When the river boat docked and party was over, coworker invited half of us back to her house to swim and drink and keep the party going. That after party is not a work event.

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Yeah, I believe they are wrong in saying it’s a work event; however, it is fraternization between 2 employees. This is usually frowned upon by many companies as it can lead to favoritism and preferential treatment. Some companies, such as the one I work for, have rules against a supervisor and subordinate hanging out outside of work hours.
    All that aside and back to the main point, I’m pretty sure you are correct in that it’s not a work event to hang out when not at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    To be fair, how many times have you seen posts like "I miss Metzen"? I doubt those people met or worked with Metzen.
    Metzen obviously didn't line up like any other, people on stage knew and Afrasiabi could have been just pandering towards the general sentiment.

I wouldn't exonerate Metzen, but due to its PR nature, i take it with a grain of salt.
    Yeah, it's a really weird one. I'd like to believe Metzen didn't know. I fucking hope he didn't, in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by czarek View Post
    So you assume its not a referance to this lawsuit ? lol
    Yes? Why in the world would you assume it's a reference to something that didn't become public for months especially when it's talked about being a reference to an old meeting room and that the tweets referencing it are clearly referencing a past room.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Noxx79 View Post
    They don’t though. You’re detached from reality.

https://twitter.com/facebookstop10/s...810203650?s=21

Get help.

- - - Updated - - -

Cosby was an open secret. Like Weinstein. Especially in California.
    No it wasn't not in the gaming industry. Especially back then there is a less overlap than you think. If it was that well known do you think any women would be consenting to go to a room that they were identifying as the cosby room when inviting people?

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    Yeah, I believe they are wrong in saying it’s a work event; however, it is fraternization between 2 employees. This is usually frowned upon by many companies as it can lead to favoritism and preferential treatment. Some companies, such as the one I work for, have rules against a supervisor and subordinate hanging out outside of work hours.
    All that aside and back to the main point, I’m pretty sure you are correct in that it’s not a work event to hang out when not at work.
    Ahh, for us its actually encouraged. Team bonding I guess to improve morale. Just can't date a subordinate and if u really must, they will move u to a dif department to remove conflict of interest

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Yes? Why in the world would you assume it's a reference to something that didn't become public for months especially when it's talked about being a reference to an old meeting room and that the tweets referencing it are clearly referencing a past room.

- - - Updated - - -

No it wasn't not in the gaming industry. Especially back then there is a less overlap than you think. If it was that well known do you think any women would be consenting to go to a room that they were identifying as the cosby room when inviting people?
    To add on to that, if it was that much public knowledge at that point why on EARTH would they publicly tweet about it???
    The investigation has made it very clear that blizzard is a complete shitshow when it comes to workers rights and sexual harassment and people should 100% be held accountable (the right people).
    But the more that surfaces about the Cosby suite, the more it looks to me like an inside joke that aged badly and resurfaced at a terrible time.
    Last edited by Delever; 2021-07-30 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Delever View Post
    To add on to that, if it was that much public knowledge at that point why on EARTH would they publicly tweet about it???
    The investigation has made it very clear that blizzard is a complete shitshow when it comes to workers rights and sexual harassment and people should 100% be held accountable (the right people).
    But the more that surfaces about the Cosby suite, the more it looks to me like an inside joke that aged badly and resurfaced at a terrible time.
    Whatever the case, I wouldn't trust fucking Kotaku to give a non-sensationalist report on the story.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Whatever the case, I wouldn't trust fucking Kotaku to give a non-sensationalist report on the story.
    But all it takes is also a little bit of common sense to realize that all this fuss about the cosby suite doesn't make sense. And all it takes is to take the extreme into consideration. Even if we assume that they knew about cosby at that time and decided to name the suite after him as an intentional rape joke, why on earth would they PUBLICLY post chats from it and openly tweet the name?? It makes 0 sense. These people have a better idea of PR than most of us and this would be blatant PR suicide.
    This is not a downplay on any of the victims or their experiences and i strongly believe justice should be served on the likes of Afrasiabi.
    But the cosby suite is starting to seem like it's been taken completely out of context.

Quote Originally Posted by Delever View Post
    But all it takes is also a little bit of common sense to realize that all this fuss about the cosby suite doesn't make sense. And all it takes is to take the extreme into consideration. Even if we assume that they knew about cosby at that time and decided to name the suite after him as an intentional rape joke, why on earth would they PUBLICLY post chats from it and openly tweet the name?? It makes 0 sense. These people have a better idea of PR than most of us and this would be blatant PR suicide.
    This is not a downplay on any of the victims or their experiences and i strongly believe justice should be served on the likes of Afrasiabi.
    But the cosby suite is starting to seem like it's been taken completely out of context.
    The Kotaku article mentions the hotel room was Afrasiabi’s. But then there are other sources, such as Greg Street that say it was a company green room. Someone's coloring the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Cosby was accused, and it was made public, long before the 2013 photo of them posing with a framed picture of him. It just didn’t became mainstream in the media until 2014, and then that was followed with many more victims stepping forward.

Afrasiabi sounds like such a douche. He was probably a virgin until he gained some notoriety with World of Warcraft.