Page 24 of 49 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    They joke about "bringing in women" and fucking. Nothing in that implies them joking about predatory behavior (or knowing about it). What prudes are you? Many guys talk about shit like that all the time, without sexual harassment involved.
    Again, Alex already had a reputation by then, even the chat shows it, and the rest just ignored it.

It all adds up, it's naivity calling with just a bro chat when we have more and more context. To a point that the lawsuit is in part because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    Two posters there, both following a fairly similar line of 'it's just a joke' which is also then surrounded by a lot of denial about the abuse itself.
    You are not following the whole discussion. If you did you could see people are mostly implying "it could be a joke". COULD
    No has made some blanket statement of facts.

Two posters there, both following a fairly similar line of 'it's just a joke' which is also then surrounded by a lot of denial about the abuse itself.
    Saying that you see this "Cosby Suite" as just a stupid joke does not in any way imply that the lawsuit or twitter allegations are not real. The joke might about abuse, but no abuse actually happened in the room. Or the joke might be about sweaters, and despite that still abuse happened in the room. Or any other combination. It's very possible that it's completely unrelated.

Same for defending that it's not known whether they knew about Cosby's reputation back then as we know today.

There's no denial of the alleged abuse in either of those comments whatsoever.
    Last edited by Kolvarg; 2021-07-29 at 11:58 AM.

You are not following the whole discussion. If you did you could see people are mostly implying "it could be a joke". COULD
    No has made some blanket statement of facts.
    The difference is you've also spent a fair bit of time trying to refute the fact that sexual abuse occurred.

And you've been underscoring that with the idea that the Cosby suite was a joke.

For what it's worth, I ALSO think it was a very edgy joke that continued for longer than it should have.

But I'm also not naive enough to assume that just because that was a joke that Afrasiabi wasn't a creep. He was.

Quote Originally Posted by Timester View Post
    Again, Alex already had a reputation by then, even the chat shows it
    No, the chat shows he had a reputation for being a womanizer or something like that. That doesn't automatically mean sexual predator.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    Saying that you see this "Cosby Suite" as just a stupid joke does not in any way imply that the lawsuit or twitter allegations are not real. The joke might about abuse, but no abuse actually happened in the room. Or the joke might be about sweaters, and despite that still abuse happened in the room. It's just completely unrelated.

Same for defending that it's not known whether they knew about Cosby's reputation back then as we know today.

There's no denial of the alleged abuse in either of those comments whatsoever.
    The leading line, whether implicitly or explicitly, for many posters including these two, has been that it's likely that no abuse occurred.

They've oscillated between that and 'oh but it's alleged' 'oh let's wait for proof' 'oh it's still gonna go to court'.

And zorkuus had his zinger of, 'it's only creepy if a woman says it is', implying that it's okay to be a creep if no one says anything.

No, the chat shows he had a reputation for being a womanizer or something like that. That doesn't automatically mean sexual predator.
    The chat is fucking irrelevant. Stop trying to die on that hill. It is irrelevant.

He was a sexual predator whether the chat implies it or not.

But I'm also not naive enough to assume that just because that was a joke that Afrasiabi wasn't a creep. He was.
    I have said he was a creep plenty of times and also that he probably is guilty given all that we know. My skepticism was mostly about some other people "involved". Once again you're trying to put words into my mouth.

- - - Updated - - -

The chat is fucking irrelevant. Stop trying to die on that hill. It is irrelevant.

He was a sexual predator whether the chat implies it or not.
    The chat matters, because people are saying everyone else was in on it too because of the vague chat.

They've oscillated between that and 'oh but it's alleged' 'oh let's wait for proof' 'oh it's still gonna go to court'.
    How is any of this wrong? Sorry not everyone loves jumping on a mob justice bandwagon.

What's going to be hilarious is when you find out all the people committing these atrocities are the woke leftoids that say they care about women. Also big fuckin LOL @ scarizard saying shit to GC when you had people like Riot Lyte.

I don't know about that. My current job has an awesome work enviroment and very friendly people but all they do is pointless meetings for the sake of holding meetings. We're burning money and the solution is more meetings.
    Sounds familiar.

You have shitty laws. Ok, too bad.
    But what part of: don't like it, don't sign it, is too difficult to understand? No one can bitch after the fact if they have signed a contract.
    The world works with more nuance than that. You just sounds like a teenager with a simplistic outlook on life.

That's really not true. Companies don't dismiss people based on reputational risk based on unfounded allegations. Because that's a bigger risk.

The lawsuit is not just that. It's a wider civil lawsuit that deals with a number of perceived discriminatory practices, some of which are hard to prove.

The reason people are 'losing their minds' is because he's the only NAMED individual. There are more in the company engaging in similar activity.

It's doubly compounded because there's corroborated information about senior leadership failing to take decisive action in dealing with the matters.

Again, it is a wide spectrum from how touchy to straight up inappropriate. So it's silly to use anecdotal evidence from your own life to draw parallels.

Because just for context, one employee was so severely traumatised by pictures of her body parts being shared without her permission, that she committed suicide. If something like this was to happen at your company, would you just ignore it and trod along like nothing happened?
    Ah here we go. I was assuming you were going there.

Actually, I have seen that happen twice. It´s not untrue, maybe it happens less in your field of work, but it happens. Let´s say the court would actually rule Afrasiabi not guilty and it would be proven he is innocent, there is no chance Blizzard would take him back.

Exactly, “perceived discriminatory practices” as you said. Perceived. That is why, I my opinion, they have no case in hand. Blizzard is a big company with thousand of employees if they treat their workers like crap...why are they not leaving? No one is forcing them to work there. Especially since the company doesn´t even pay well. NOW they have a chance of actually bringing forward suggestions how to make the workplace better, instead they try to attain actual power in the company when it comes to hiring and company policies..in other words they are a little bit insane.

“There are more in the company engaging in similar activity.” That is an accusation that you can´t prove nor do you or anyone have an idea who/how many or what they are supposedly doing wrong.

You are correct when it comes to the leadership. Though, they probably have not much of an idea on what is even going on. Most of them left years ago anyway.

Yes, it is a wide spectrum, and what is appropriate is based on the individual. You may not like a sexual joke, it´s still a joke and not harassment. This is also why it´s a wider civil lawsuit, except the Afrasiabi stuff, it seems more like people screaming harassment for no reason. Now where do we have seen this...oh right...that's your woke culture now.

NO.Your last statement is borderline ridiculous. You just read the Bloomberg article but not the court papers. One(!) person thinks(!) that there was one picture, and said person thinks(!) that this was shared. That is all, it doesn´t say anything that the girl committed suicide because of this. Or that she was traumatized. You are absolutely pulling that out of your ass. Having dealt with more than one suicide and attempts in my closest circle, there is always a longer story to it. No one does it because of one stupid picture. That article was framing and nothing else, especially with the emphasis that her boyfriend (a higher ranking dev) had a sex toy with him….woooah big deal. There was also the alleged harassment in the company, which sounds a bit fishy, you don´t harass the girlfriend of your boss, that´s career suicide.

The fact is, we have no idea why she did it and we have zero context.

And this is why I say that people jump to silly conclusion. And that´s all there is to say, have a nice day

Quote Originally Posted by Timester View Post
    Considering the shareholders are moving legally to know why all this was omitted for years, Bobby right is now more concerned with the fact that he could also be fired.
    Please make it so. Please.

You're making a lot of erroneous and blanket assumptions. And what you're leading to is basically, 'they wanted to have fun but are now claiming it wasn't'. Again, you're trying to rationalise what happened. Whether to make yourself feel better or because you're in denial, who knows?
    Funny considering you jumping to conclusion.

Maybe you live under a rock and find it easier to pretend that such things don´t happen. And stop trying and failing to be a hobby psychologist, you have zero idea what I am thinking. Especially denial is so funny. Oh man.

That's a pretty extreme take, because it's making a blanket assumption that women are some devious folk looking to take advantage of a guy.

Which is statistically untrue, given less than like 8% of sexual harassment claims are fabricated.

So what I'm saying is...moderation. Yes, boundaries are essential. Whether men are cautious are not. Or whether women are cautious or not.

I've been to lunch with female colleagues, but you keep a sensible set of boundaries. Not that anything has ever happened, but you just be smart.
    It's extreme, it's misogynistic even. But a man who refuses to have lunch with female co-workers, especially his subordinates, isn't missing out on anything, at least not professionally. No matter how slim the risk, the reward is nil.

That's something that's often missing from this discussion. There's no upside or career advantage to fraternising with female colleagues beyond the coldest professional etiquette.

Quote Originally Posted by cirdanx View Post
    Ah here we go. I was assuming you were going there.

Actually, I have seen that happen twice. It´s not untrue, maybe it happens less in your field of work, but it happens. Let´s say the court would actually rule Afrasiabi not guilty and it would be proven he is innocent, there is no chance Blizzard would take him back.

Exactly, “perceived discriminatory practices” as you said. Perceived. That is why, I my opinion, they have no case in hand. Blizzard is a big company with thousand of employees if they treat their workers like crap...why are they not leaving? No one is forcing them to work there. Especially since the company doesn´t even pay well. NOW they have a chance of actually bringing forward suggestions how to make the workplace better, instead they try to attain actual power in the company when it comes to hiring and company policies..in other words they are a little bit insane.

“There are more in the company engaging in similar activity.” That is an accusation that you can´t prove nor do you or anyone have an idea who/how many or what they are supposedly doing wrong.

You are correct when it comes to the leadership. Though, they probably have not much of an idea on what is even going on. Most of them left years ago anyway.

Yes, it is a wide spectrum, and what is appropriate is based on the individual. You may not like a sexual joke, it´s still a joke and not harassment. This is also why it´s a wider civil lawsuit, except the Afrasiabi stuff, it seems more like people screaming harassment for no reason. Now where do we have seen this...oh right...that's your woke culture now.

NO.Your last statement is borderline ridiculous. You just read the Bloomberg article but not the court papers. One(!) person thinks(!) that there was one picture, and said person thinks(!) that this was shared. That is all, it doesn´t say anything that the girl committed suicide because of this. Or that she was traumatized. You are absolutely pulling that out of your ass. Having dealt with more than one suicide and attempts in my closest circle, there is always a longer story to it. No one does it because of one stupid picture. That article was framing and nothing else, especially with the emphasis that her boyfriend (a higher ranking dev) had a sex toy with him….woooah big deal. There was also the alleged harassment in the company, which sounds a bit fishy, you don´t harass the girlfriend of your boss, that´s career suicide.

The fact is, we have no idea why she did it and we have zero context.

And this is why I say that people jump to silly conclusion. And that´s all there is to say, have a nice day
    1. So you've seen it happen twice. As I mentioned, less than 8% of cases involve falsified claims. So there's a margin for it happening. But small.

2. I'm saying perceived in regards to pay, promotions etc etc. That part is pending a civil court's ruling.

3. There is corroborating evidence that has been circulated amongst articles and more. Have a look-see.

4. Wrong again, Josh Allen who has been at the company for ages, is one of many that has come forward and confirmed management chose not to act.

5. It's simple. One joke. Okay, someone asks for it stop. Two joke. Why hasn't it stopped? Repeat occasions. It's harassment. You call it woke because YOU don't like the fact that it's being asked to stop, since your status quo is to say, 'what's the big deal? It's only a joke'. You consider sensitivity to be 'woke', which is laughable.

6. It's not one person. There have been multiple people coming forward to confirm this. I don't have the time to go back and link them all. Go look.

If anyone's jumping to erroneous conclusions, it's you. I'm going on what's available. You're reaching a conclusion that suits you.

I don't WANT harassment to be a thing at ANY workplace. Simple, really. I don't need to be a psychologist to realise the direction you're going in with your conversation, especially since you bring up dumb fucking buzzwords like 'woke'.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivarr View Post
    It's extreme, it's misogynistic even. But a man who refuses to have lunch with female co-workers, especially his subordinates, isn't missing out on anything, at least not professionally. No matter how slim the risk, the reward is nil.

That's something that's often missing from this discussion. There's no upside or career advantage to fraternising with female colleagues beyond the coldest professional etiquette.
    I can only speak from experience here and say that I haven't had any issues with having friendships with women.

Because I know boundaries and respect boundaries. Simple as. But you choose the boundaries that suit you, that's okay.
    Last edited by DingDongKing; 2021-07-29 at 12:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So how many times are they going to say "we will be the change"? Such a manic kind of statement. I can get behind making sure that your work environment isn't infested with dude bros and misogynist assholes but language like that makes me cringe and wonder how self aware the movement is, and what kind of bizarre inflated sense of importance they have for themselves. It's not enough to just be right these days, you have to appeal to extreme emotions using bombastic statements... how about just "We are determined in our cause and we will not stop opposing you until things have permanently, markedly changed for the better"?

Quote Originally Posted by PixelFox View Post
    J needs to resign and they need to promote or hire a woman into the position who can clean up their act, and it would probably be great for WoW and their other games as well.

There's just no other solution at this point.

Blizzard was started buy a bunch of guys who created a guy culture. Many of them grew up and now have good relationships with women. The problem is that these people failed to ensure that the company culture also grew up. They have all had MANY years to get this right, and they have failed to do it, and now they need to pay the price. That's what "taking responsibility" means. There have to be consequences and ramifications for failure. Not just "OMG we are so so sorry to hear about all this and gosh we'll try to do better now!" No, heads need to roll starting at the absolute top, and the new leader needs to be able to clean house of any other bad apples and produce an environment that both employees and customers can be proud of.

A few years from now this might look like the best thing to happen to Blizzard in a long time.
    Gender based hiring doesn't fix problems. Yes house needs to be cleaned but no gender and ethnicity should play zero role in who replacements are. Hell the current person trying to put a good face on things and push it under the rug so we all forget about it is a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Gender based hiring doesn't fix problems. Yes house needs to be cleaned but no gender and ethnicity should play zero role in who replacements are. Hell the current person trying to put a good face on things and push it under the rug so we all forget about it is a woman.
    I 100% agree. Look at Fran Townsend. She's a woman, but she's a fucking lunatic.

Mind you, they probably hired her because she is a fucking lunatic.

The leading line, whether implicitly or explicitly, for many posters including these two, has been that it's likely that no abuse occurred.
    That's defending due process / denouncing witch-hunt mob attitudes, not saying it did or did not happen, not even that it is or is not likely that it happened.

And zorkuus had his zinger of, 'it's only creepy if a woman says it is', implying that it's okay to be a creep if no one says anything.
    If that's what he meant, it's still unrelated to his other statements, which stand on their own. You can speculate he's a creep and that he might be dog whistling, but that's entirely on you and not an inherent part of what he actually said on what you quoted.

Personally, I think that's not what he was trying to say, from what I glanced at. I could be wrong, but it seemed to me all he was saying was that what is "creepy" is not set in stone, and will vary from person to person and situation to situation. In particular he referenced that identical actions can either be seen as "creepy", if made by someone the receiver is not attracted to in any way, or as "sexy"/"hot" if made by someone the receiver is attracted to. That can be true both for men and for woman.

I won't say he did a particular good job at explaining that, and I didn't follow the whole conversation, but I think at least that was his initial point which you perhaps misinterpreted.
    Last edited by Kolvarg; 2021-07-29 at 12:43 PM.