Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Every crisis is catalyst for major changes, bad or good. For sure WoW is no longer in safe spot like it was.. since launch honestly, WoW was basically first mainstream MMORPG. Now conservative approach they took after Legion just won't be enough anymore.

  2. #42
    Bloodsail Admiral SunspotAnims's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    1,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Depends where the dust settles.

    Activision is going to have to make a call on WoW's future, especially if this ends up reaching "burn it all down" levels of bad. Do they invest back in the game, potentially big money, training up new team heads and revamping big sections of the game to their vision and to purge the issues of yore? Or do they say "the game is no longer salvagable just put someone in there to bring the plane in for a landing and then reassign them to Warzone?"

    Sadly, I expect the latter. If this is bad enough they have to burn it all down, WoW I think is dead.
    It's easy to say these things from the position of an armchair CEO, but it's born from a fantasy of this particular scandal being the thing the fulfills everyone's wishes in regards to WoW. To some people that means the devs will suddenly deliver every player demand, and to others that means WoW will be officially killed because it somehow caused the lawsuit or whatever.

    The truth is that Warcraft, as an IP, is a very profitable property. Putting money into it will result in getting money out of it. Yes CoD is also a very profitable IP but it is pretty ludicrous to suggest that gutting WoW in favor of CoD is somehow going to cause CoD alone to make more money than having both IPs in a strong position.

    Anyway, I say this because I've recently noticed that the WoW team is currently hiring more people than any other announced game title at Blizzard. I don't know if it has always been that way, but it can be argued that this suggests an intention to expand the WoW team, not shrink it.

  3. #43
    I I just want to be able to dye my gear in whatever colors i want, so i can finally fulfill my dream of being Reynaerd plated pink pretty princess with a beard.

  4. #44
    They’re incapable of doing that on the get go. Hell they even struggled to give us a halfway decent content patch and needed 7 months for the underwhelming mess that 9.1 is. I for sure don’t want them to develop some half-assed races like Nightborn or whatever just to try to redeem themselves. Their only chance is 10.0 and that’s only working if a) 10.0 is massive and similar to the scope of Legion and b) if it comes in time aka end of 2022 the latest.

    If 10.0 is just another Shadowlands or BfA they can keep it or throw it in the trash already. 10.0 needs a new class or new specs, it needs one single progress system akin to artifact weapons and it needs a lot of content from the start, a clearly laid out story path and a schedule like Legion had, aka 77 days between patches.

    On top of that, 10.0 has to launch later next year. A delay until 2023 at the moment is unthinkable. Even if we might get a Legion-type of expansion then, it will be way too late to redeem anything. Time is working against Blizzard and people already dislike 9.1 which is only a month old. Go figure how many players are left in 2023 waiting for the new expansion.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

  5. #45
    Yeah no, SL is dead and whatever comes next will make 9.1 look like 5.2.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Depends where the dust settles.

    Activision is going to have to make a call on WoW's future, especially if this ends up reaching "burn it all down" levels of bad. Do they invest back in the game, potentially big money, training up new team heads and revamping big sections of the game to their vision and to purge the issues of yore? Or do they say "the game is no longer salvagable just put someone in there to bring the plane in for a landing and then reassign them to Warzone?"

    Sadly, I expect the latter. If this is bad enough they have to burn it all down, WoW I think is dead.
    I think this depends on the competition. As long as there's a successful MMO somewhere, the executives will keep chasing that spot. But if there's no major MMO any longer they'll be able to cut their losses and say that there's no market demand for it (despites the possibility that people gladly want to play an MMO the way they used to.)

  7. #47
    Bloodsail Admiral SunspotAnims's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    1,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    On top of that, 10.0 has to launch later next year. A delay until 2023 at the moment is unthinkable. Even if we might get a Legion-type of expansion then, it will be way too late to redeem anything. Time is working against Blizzard and people already dislike 9.1 which is only a month old. Go figure how many players are left in 2023 waiting for the new expansion.
    On the contrary, I'm of the impression that the release date of 10.0 is irrelevant so long as it promises to be big. Let's say, hypothetically, that 10.0 will be the largest expansion to date but won't release until mid 2023. In terms active players, it's true that WoW might as well be dead a few months after whatever the last Shadowlands patch will be.

    ...but all it takes is a big marketing push for "the largest expansion to date," and plenty of people will show up by the time it comes out. At least that's what the precedent suggests. I'm not saying it's ideal for 10.0 to come out so late, but I'd rather it release good than fast, and I think most people would agree in the long run.

  8. #48
    The shard system is kinda lame but that doesn't really take away from the raid being great, the dungeon being fun, the new m+ affix being solid or Korthia being pretty decent for what it is. There's been way worse patches in the past whether we talk about the Trial of the Crusader/Argent Tournament patch or the whole Dragon Soul tier. And those were in "prime WoW days".

  9. #49
    Bloodsail Admiral Berri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,095
    Lol maybe they can just listen to player feedback and make the game good rather than just stubbornly continuing to implement systems that are shit to play until they inevitably get changed in the .3 patch but idk man

  10. #50
    how dare you think about possible benefits for the game? don't you have a soul??? think about this poor woman, a white male looked at her legs when she came to work in a skirt, dude!! she's traumatized for life and she bought 3 burkas and a chastity belt for security!!! .... this white male trash should be separated from his balls, like RIGHT NOW

    you're "part of the problem" bro, don't forget this.

    seriously, what happen when you're interested in a game and when you come to see what's coming next, all you see is that kind of shit? and they want to handle it by involving players in the issue?? it drives me away from the game and lose interest. I'm unsub because SL sucks but with all this drama I'm probably done for good. it's not, never was and never will be the reason I'm interrested in WoW. before this the first thing coming to my mind with "blizzard" was "WoW". now when I think blizzard I think about this shit... in the end, blizzard killed wow for me.

  11. #51
    i certainly hope that wow and blizz survives all this shit.
    and if they do im hopefull that theyll come back better than before.
    by better i dont mean pointless virtue signaling, but a better game.
    acceptance of race gender and sexual orientation etc is great, but theres no reason to parade about it.
    hire the best and most passionate developers and focus on making great games, like they used to
    Last edited by mojusk; 2021-07-29 at 09:47 AM.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by mojusk View Post
    i certainly hope that wow and blizz survives all this shit.
    and if they do im hopefull that theyll come back better than before.
    by better i dont mean pointless virtue signaling, but a better game.
    acceptance of race gender and sexual orientation etc is great, but theres no reason to parade about it.
    hire the best and most passionate developers and focus on making great games, like they used to
    It's not about having best/most passionate devs. where financial department is dictating production. Read the article about Reforged, it sheds a lot of light about how they promised one game during Blizzcon and how we got different game.They literally cut out pieces of content just to meet their budget quota, so instead of making a great game with humble profit they just make up that profit form pre-orders by cutting out promised content so they spend less on development.

  13. #53
    Elemental Lord Lahis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    8,443
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    If they used this as an opportunity to totally strip things back and rething the direction of the game, I would be happy with that. Obviously there are bigger things happening for the staff involved, im purely saying from a gameplay perspective.
    Sadly WoW dev team is incapable of seeing problems with their designs, despite players figuring every single problem 5 minutes after they hit PTR every single time.

    Stopping the Cosby Suite Groping Parties will not bring any quick salvation to WoW's development direction.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Sadly, I expect the latter. If this is bad enough they have to burn it all down, WoW I think is dead.
    It won't be dead-dead; it'll be sold to Tencent or Gamigo dead. That might even be considered alive! In some sense. If the game is going to be getting an entirely new set of developers, it might as well be in a lower labor cost country.
    Last edited by Osmeric; 2021-07-29 at 10:11 AM.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "Sooner or later everyone sits down to a banquet of consequences." -- Robert Louis Stevenson
    If you didn't get your COVID shot it's probably too late now, you fool.

  15. #55
    Elemental Lord Lahis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    8,443
    Quote Originally Posted by mojusk View Post
    acceptance of race gender and sexual orientation etc is great, but theres no reason to parade about it.
    The reason for those vocal parades is always to act as a smokescreen to hide the heinous shit that is actually happening.

  16. #56
    @erifwodahs
    true, its not just the developers but also their leaders who has to make decisions thats best for the games and not their wallets.
    i also wanna add that no matter how talented a dev is, if the person is a douche/creep who drags down the performance of the rest of the team, do not hessitate to give them the boot.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    The reason for those vocal parades is always to act as a smokescreen to hide the heinous shit that is actually happening.
    yep a wolf in sheep clothing kinda thing.

  17. #57
    Warchief vsb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Mongoloid
    Posts
    2,116
    They have WotLK ahead. It'll be huge. Remember 12 millions subs? WotLK will save them for another 1-2 years. Plenty of those WotLK subs will try retail and some of them might like it.

    So expect retail to bend for WotLK players. Undead/Old gods/Northrend theme.

    After WotLK WoW is dead.

  18. #58
    Elemental Lord Lahis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    8,443
    Quote Originally Posted by vsb View Post
    They have WotLK ahead. It'll be huge. Remember 12 millions subs? WotLK will save them for another 1-2 years. Plenty of those WotLK subs will try retail and some of them might like it.

    So expect retail to bend for WotLK players. Undead/Old gods/Northrend theme.

    After WotLK WoW is dead.
    I wouldn't be shocked if the next AKA last SL patch happens on Northrend (like 8.3 did use only old zones). Saves them art resources for 10.0

  19. #59
    Warchief vsb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Mongoloid
    Posts
    2,116
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    It won't be dead-dead; it'll be sold to Tencent or Gamigo dead. That might even be considered alive! In some sense. If the game is going to be getting an entirely new set of developers, it might as well be in a lower labor cost country.
    Selling WoW to China would be the best thing that could happen to the game. Chinese WoW is already miles ahead of official one and that's with limited power they have over its regional distribution.

    Though I don't think that would happen. Muricans are too prideful to admit it.

  20. #60
    The Lightbringer Wangming's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Not Azeroth
    Posts
    3,264
    Quote Originally Posted by aceperson View Post
    losing profits is as good as dead to investors. that will probably be the key factor.
    Hell the investors are now suing them for losing said profit.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •