Thread: Reality's end.

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Reality's end.

What could that be Zovaal is speaking about? I have been thinking some time ago that WoW could use some sort of "reset", mayhaps it is their plan to do so story wise through ending of Shadowlands with Zovaal's victory and doing... something? Power creep has gone wild good time ago, we are fighting titans, titans+, so what's next? titans+++? I mean it doesn't have ANY meaning at this point and breaks any sort of immersion... immensly.
    IMHO best case scenario would be announcement of WoW2 instead of WoW 10.0 or 11.0 at this point; to clear ties with ~20years code, fktylion of in game stuff you have to maintenance regularly like quests, items, systems etc. inconsistent graphics quality (imagine having gta3 models in gta5... and thats what is happening in WoW rn).
    What do you think? I mean i don't really expect it, rather further ducktaping and milking current game would be my bet, buut... I don't know, it seems like it would be a good opportunity if done right (which with current blizz attitude is not likely, but hey).

He is just a discount thanos without an actual semi sane motive. You have to understand blizzard is just copying what was popular without the chops to actually pull the theme off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wasn't this thread closed?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Spears View Post
    He is just a discount thanos without an actual semi sane motive. You have to understand blizzard is just copying what was popular without the chops to actually pull the theme off.
    Maybe they are going for that new realm thing from Warhammer fantasy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Zovaal will get stomped, reality will not end, and the next expansion will feature the next cosmic baddie that wants to unravel everything. Rinse and repeat until at some point we kill the first ones and it turns out there's something beyond the cosmic forces that is also big bad / not good. Possibility for a random "back to Azeroth where we need to fight bears or murlocs or whatever because everyone is sick of anime" somewhere in-between.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Spears View Post
    yeah, well, that could be the case as well- sadly
    why would anyone be planning "4d chess" when they can't even do checkers right in the first place?

As much as WoW 2 makes the most sense to fix the convoluted mess WoW is stuck in, let me go ahead and burst this bubble and say it won’t happen for multiple reasons

1) they are already setting up the next story after the jailer. Meaning he’ll likely be a one and done villain too. How boring

2) they still make money and won’t feel pressured to make WoW 2 until WoW subs reach critical mass and fall under 500k which may never happen

3) the cost factor alone would be staggering to build a top tier modern WoW 2 in unreal 4-5

4) do you really trust THIS team of WoW devs to make WoW 2? I don’t

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    1) they are already setting up the next story after the jailer. Meaning he’ll likely be a one and done villain too. How boring
    Every single villain, with maybe a handful of exceptions, has been a one and done villain.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    Every single villain, with maybe a handful of exceptions, has been a one and done villain.
    And the bigger the villain, the worse writing that is to one and done them. That’s just bad story telling

If the jailer is built up to be this big ultimate baddie and he dies off in one expac; was he really big or bad?

Blizz would be better off having him win and setting him and anduin up as the games two baddies for years to come

Quote Originally Posted by Berri View Post
    Zovaal will get stomped, reality will not end, and the next expansion will feature the next cosmic baddie that wants to unravel everything. Rinse and repeat until at some point we kill the first ones and it turns out there's something beyond the cosmic forces that is also big bad / not good. Possibility for a random "back to Azeroth where we need to fight bears or murlocs or whatever because everyone is sick of anime" somewhere in-between.
    they have been implying breaking of cycle a few times... but probably only talking
    I remember Bellular one said in some vid that along the lines "blizz is good at making "big" cliche moments but struggle with little things". I think i could not disagree more; in fact is is completely other way around. I did sort of like WoWs lore back in the day even tho it really was always bad all along, problem is back then they didn't try to force it this much and not "right in your face".
    Maybe we could get back to some more "immerse down to earth" fantasy stuff? Kinda sick of this anime struggles.

- - - Updated - - -

yaiks
    2) they still make money and won’t feel pressured to make WoW 2 until WoW subs reach critical mass and fall under 500k which may never happen
    yesh
    3) the cost factor alone would be staggering to build a top tier modern WoW 2 in unreal 4-5
    who said it would have to be unreal 3-4, WoW stylized graphic is just fine, inconsistent AF but even classic WoW is not as much of an eye sore like other 15+ y old games, besides high system requirements cuts off a rather large potential players, which is a no-no for MMO
    4) do you really trust THIS team of WoW devs to make WoW 2? I don’t
    yeah, NO. obviously NO. what kind of question is that? XD

Final Fantasy has a better story and SL is the proof, because it doesnt make a fucking sense the Lore/Story atm.

The raid are still ok but if the story is dogshit it is not captiving the players, at Classic TBC and Wotlk at least were still °standard RPG stuff°

Classic - We fought bandit-cultist-explored maraudon then went vs Giant and Elementals-Dragons-Insectoid and their God-Undead AND WE STILL WERE ADVENTURERS

TBC - We went with the alliance-horde expedition beat 2 Elves 1 Naga and repelled a Legion invasion. BECAME HEROES but STILL with some help like Maiev at BT and Kalegos at Sunwell /// so we werent insane god like begins

Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    Warhammer needed that. Most of the story was confined in something resembling medieval Europe and they had nowhere to go.

Blizzard faces a similar conundrum with Azeroth's story being pretty much told. However, they don't need to 'shatter reality' perse. They already allowed themselves many similar worlds that can be connected through giant portals. That's something Warhammer lacked until Age of Sigmar.

So an expansion into a world that's very similar to Azeroth would solve a lot of issues. Old Azeroth can remain, and yet people still get to have fun in familiar environments. Without the sky being purple or green fire all the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TBCCLOL View Post
    Classic - We fought bandit-cultist-explored maraudon then went vs Giant and Elementals-Dragons-Insectoid and their God-Undead AND WE STILL WERE ADVENTURERS
    And let's be honest, fighting the bandits and cultists was the most memorable part.

Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    Wasn't this thread closed?

- - - Updated - - -

I doubt it? Age of sigmar(? might be spelled wrong) was insanely unpopular they only half ass copy successful things.

It has been harder and harder to justify the expansions, especially the level increases. 2 expansions ago we decisively defeated The Burning Legion, a force that has destroyed countless worlds, then we kill an old god (massive reduction in power, at least the loss of artifacts explained that somewhat) and now we will end up defeating death itself. Only thing that can be a step up from this would be to kill The Void Lords themselves, anything else becomes massively problematic and unintuitive.
    As much as I love wow, the "story" has run its course after this expansion.

Jailer realizes that Sylvanas' plot armor is so thick and story is so ridiculous, he decides to reboot the universe.

All this Jailer and Shadowlands nonsense is nothing but filler between the Legion storyline and the eventual Void Lord storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by ashblond View Post
    Jailer realizes that Sylvanas' plot armor is so thick and story is so ridiculous, he decides to reboot the universe.
    I would actually give them white knight levels of praise if they had the stones to do that and pull a realm reborn and more by resetting the entire franchise, but let's be real here, it would also be one of he most economically unsound descisions the wow team and their overlords have ever made.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rebooting / restarting "reality" is an opportunity to start anew, but I don't think the company has the courage to do it. Even if subs are down, they have a pretty good thing going with retail, then the bonus subs from various iterations of classic. I would expect they'd continue classic up to MOP perhaps if it's been profitable (and how could it not be)?

As with most things it comes down to the prevailing culture of the organization. We're not seeing a lot of innovating or fresh stuff from them, so there's not much indication that they may be willing to do something radical.

I don't care much for the idea of a WoW2, but pretty soon our characters will be able to poke a sword in a planet too, at the rate we're going....which isn't terribly interesting past a certain point. They'll either have to end it somehow and let it persist as the last expansion, or do something completely unexpected like bust us back down to fighting crabs and murlocs without disinfranchsing the player base any further.

Tall order.

Final Fantasy has a better story and SL is the proof, because it doesnt make a fucking sense the Lore/Story atm.

The raid are still ok but if the story is dogshit it is not captiving the players, at Classic TBC and Wotlk at least were still °standard RPG stuff°

Classic - We fought bandit-cultist-explored maraudon-orcs citadel then went vs Giant and Elementals-Dragons-Insectoid and their God-Undead AND WE STILL WERE ADVENTURERS

TBC - We went with the alliance-horde expedition beat 2 Elves 1 Naga and repelled a Legion invasion. BECAME HEROES but STILL with some help like Maiev at BT and Kalegos at Sunwell /// so we werent insane god like begins

Wrath - We fought basically the Scourge and their Master aka the Lich King - Still with the help of the strongest paladin on azeroth and still adventurer/heroes

Last xpacs are basically pumping over and over and we are basically GODLIKE Humanoids Champion of the Universe and the lore is fucked up.

But hey at least that lore dev has a dakimakura of sylvanas

15+ Year Old Account
    Vanilla 2.0 is coming in 10.0 that is whats up.
    And i love the idea.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I would actually give them white knight levels of praise if they had the stones to do that and pull a realm reborn and more by resetting the entire franchise, but let's be real here, it would also be one of he most economically unsound descisions the wow team and their overlords have ever made.
    Not advocating either direction, but the WoW team and Blizzard in general needs to make decisions not based on financials but gameplay. If you make good games the financials will follow. If you have a good product you will make money. I am playing TBC right now and its better than retail. No nostalgia glasses. No 'I didnt do that back then." I cleared the majority if BC content, and I am playing the same classes, doing the same raids, as I did 15 years ago, and I am enjoying it more than the new content produced 15 years later. Either WoW is no longer the game for me or the development team is not doing a good job.