Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Serpent Shrine Caverns, How important is resist gear?

I'm just trying to figure out how important resist gear is for Hydross in SSC. I'm main tank for my guild do i need to get to grinding primals for the whole set or is the dmg over hyped?

Hydross melees for 8,000 frost/nature baseline on ptr and cannot be blocked.

There are four adds each transition, they melee for 5,000 frost/nature baseline each and cannot be blocked.

As the fight goes on you'll get a debuff that makes Hydross/adds melee for 10%/25%/50%/100%/250% more until you switch him and spawn more adds.

Conventional wisdom is 300+ resist on main tanks.

You'll also need a tank or warlock with capped fire resist for Leotheras the Blind. I'd suggest actually going to cap on that one, it's important to resist as many chaos blasts as possible.
    Last edited by Nitros14; 2021-07-31 at 06:45 PM.

Both main tanks will need resist gear, since two unmitigated attacks in a row are likely to kill you without resist. The whole "set" is advisible because it has good stamina to go with it and limits the number of slots you need to sacrifice to get the resists you need, set + rings should be good enough. Main add tank (paladin) is really nice if he has a split frost / nature resist combination gear, but is not a requirement, especially if he would have to sacrifice a lot of stam to get it. He will get slapped pretty hard without resists, but it's healable if the healers focus onto him until 1-2 adds die.

As Nitros said, warlock will need to get up to the 365 fire resist cap, but it's fairly easy for them as they get a chunk of free resists from felhunter (they will need to spec for it).

It will kill you if you think you can rofl it.

Did Hydross on PTR, with resist gear the tanks take no damage, without resist gear the tanks die. You will also need a fire resist tank for Leotheras (Warlock or Warriors) and I've not tried Solarian yet, if it's the later version of Solarian then it won't need any resist gear.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    if it's the later version of Solarian then it won't need any resist gear.
    It's the second (of four) version of Solarian. You'll definitely want resist gear. If dps is super high you can probably get away with two wrath tanks who just take all the wraths, if dps is lower you might want the whole raid in arcane resist and make two groups, one infected, so the stacks fall off. Also drop healers for more dps.

This guild <Dread> had world 14 Magtheridon and kills Magtheridon in 3 minutes and they were struggling to zerg down Solarian.

https://classic.warcraftlogs.com/rep...hgT9BcNG3Px7W6

That suggests to me the average guild will have zero chance without arcane resist.
    Last edited by Nitros14; 2021-08-01 at 01:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitros14 View Post
    It's the second (of four) version of Solarian. You'll definitely want resist gear. If dps is super high you can probably get away with two wrath tanks who just take all the wraths, if dps is lower you might want the whole raid in arcane resist and make two groups, one infected, so the stacks fall off. Also drop healers for more dps.

This guild <Dread> had world 14 Magtheridon and kills Magtheridon in 3 minutes and they were struggling to zerg down Solarian.

https://classic.warcraftlogs.com/rep...hgT9BcNG3Px7W6

That suggests to me the average guild will have zero chance without arcane resist.
    That's going to be interesting indeed, my guild intends to have a look at Tempest Keep tomorrow night and it's a guild with a lot of experience (actually we were rank 9 on maggy speedkill too, down to 22 now it's just cheesing the cube clicks by chaining them and then burning the boss down with the damage bonus. I personally don't have experience doing the early version of solarian, but if good guilds are wiping hard with access to full T4 BIS from vendors it's going to be a bit of a cock-block.

Should be fun I hope, the bosses we did in SSC were a complete joke.

So, all tanks need resist on hydross no? As a feral druid back then and now, I can remember tanking 1 add, but dunno how it is now a days.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    So, all tanks need resist on hydross no? As a feral druid back then and now, I can remember tanking 1 add, but dunno how it is now a days.
    Just imagine that each of those small adds are the first boss of mana hc tank damage wise

Yes all tanks need resist, maybe it's possible to do it without but you're just gonna be wiping to dead tanks on a boss that is otherwise easy, because the boss just deletes without resist and hits like a floppy pancake when you have resist gear on. That goes for the adds too, the norm is to have your pala tank split 50/50 on the resist.

If you don't want your add tank to use resist you can kite the adds and never dps them the entire fight, that's how guilds did overtuned hydross on private servers, kite adds and single target burn boss.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2021-08-01 at 10:39 PM.

When we tested it last night we had 1 warr in a 50/50 split of FR/NR swapping at the 100% dmg stack # without much issue, ideally once guilds are comfortable with the fight you'll want to drop down to a MT in split resistance and a prot paladin with a similar mix to pick up all 4 adds.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Yes all tanks need resist, maybe it's possible to do it without but you're just gonna be wiping to dead tanks on a boss that is otherwise easy, because the boss just deletes without resist and hits like a floppy pancake when you have resist gear on. That goes for the adds too, the norm is to have your pala tank split 50/50 on the resist.

If you don't want your add tank to use resist you can kite the adds and never dps them the entire fight, that's how guilds did overtuned hydross on private servers, kite adds and single target burn boss.
    wow, okay so it did change...Just 2 tanks for the fight? A main tank on boss and say a prot paladin with resist gear on?

Edit: Glad it seems resist is at least a need. It didn't come up at all in classic, so figured TBCC is to easy as well. Like when ppl downed that AQ40 boss (forgot name) with no nature res...Or I guess sapph in naxx no resist either.

.Or I guess sapph in naxx no resist either.
    Vast majority of people used resist gear on Sapphiron.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitros14 View Post
    Vast majority of people used resist gear on Sapphiron.
    oh they did? I thought it was just MOTW and frost aura?

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    oh they did? I thought it was just MOTW and frost aura?
    No people used it and or swapped around raid compositions a bit to make the healing a bit easier. If you look at logs you'll see a sudden surge of healers on a boss like Sapphiron. The epic frost resistance gear is sort of a no brainer and essentially made it so you could feasibly drop healers in favor of more DPS. While you lose damage wearing resistance gear, it's a balancing act between damage/healers, and some slots don't really contribute nearly as much to throughput as others (the ring for instance is a good source of FR).

Keep in mind that what some people do isn't going to necessarily be the norm either. Most guilds didn't stack a metric shit ton of warriors or require your entire raid to have every single world buff imaginable. While the NR requirements of Huhuran were massively hyped up, it really depended on your guild. If you didn't stack world buffs or have a lot of DPS with actual CDS (read warriors) you would get rolled a boss like Huhuran without some NR.

10+ Year Old Account
    We didn't need tanks with resist gear for adds, about 100~ was fine for the boss. I assume better guilds can go without any resistance, whilst more casual guilds probably wants more.
    Hi

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    IIRC he's immune to taunt and has a full threat drops upon transitioning from frost to poison, at least that's how I remember him from like 15 years ago. We would always stop dps and just make sure everyone moved past the transition point so that he doesn't dance between both forms constantly, which can easily cause wipes.

I don't remember the adds hitting very hard at all, and as stated resistance gear makes his damage a complete joke. I forget how long we use to tank him with full resistance (was either right before the 250% threshold, or the 500% threshold).

Regardless, at least on Horde side when we were doing him that many years ago prot paladin tanks weren't really around so the last thin you wanted to do was transition him often, which generally meant Horde side had capped warrior tanks tanking him in each phase as often as possible. With protection paladins being a staple of pretty much every raid group, the adds likely won't be a big deal. Being able to pick them up super easy as a protection paladin with the vast amount of warlocks lots of groups run means that you can likely transition him slightly earlier if you want, while opting to run a few less epic pieces of resistance gear on your tank.

wow, okay so it did change...Just 2 tanks for the fight? A main tank on boss and say a prot paladin with resist gear on?

Edit: Glad it seems resist is at least a need. It didn't come up at all in classic, so figured TBCC is to easy as well. Like when ppl downed that AQ40 boss (forgot name) with no nature res...Or I guess sapph in naxx no resist either.
    Na you want 3 tanks ideally. A frost tank, a nature tank and an adds tank with a mix of both resists. You can get away with the add tank not using resist if he's good at kiting, which usually also involves something like a warrior using pierce howl to keep them slowed. But again, if you're going for a safe and sure kill strategy in week one, you get resist gear for all 3 tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    I don't remember the adds hitting very hard at all
    On ptr they melee for 5,000 nature/frost each before marks of hydross.

That's pretty hard with no resistance.

Slightly off topic but... can anybody confirm if KT has got new or old voice on PTR?