Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Severe lack of Deathknight lore :(

I don't know if I'm the only one but I have to say I am very disappointed in the enormous lack of DK lore for the expansion about the very origins of where DKs come from. Runeblades, the schools of DK magic of unholy, frost, and blood. I mean there is A LOT...and we got nothing. Not even a unique dialogue engagement with any npcs.

Well, we did found out a bit about more Frostmourne.

I agree, it really is a bummer. Draka was SUCH a shit choice to have at the primary Maldraxxus NPC (honestly, each zone should've been represented by each of the Four Horsemen), and aside from a whole shitton of "Arthas-bait", this expansion seems like it has and wants nothing to do with Death Knight lore.

5+ Year Old Account
    OP is right. There was more DK lore in freaking Legion than in an expansion entirely dedicated to the origins and whereabouts of Death as a cosmic force.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

There is just a extreme lack of any Lore this expo. If you buy the new book it states that DKs use Necrolord magic and not Maw magic so thats something I suppose. The Primus created Both types of rune magic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Felrane View Post
    There is just a extreme lack of any Lore this expo. If you buy the new book it states that DKs use Necrolord magic and not Maw magic so thats something I suppose. The Primus created Both types of rune magic.
    DK's runeblades and Runeforging are actually a subset of the Domination runic system, the same system used by the Jailer (and originally created by the Primus) to create and empower his Mawsworn armies.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

I just want to know what happens when someone who has been dead and their soul has been in the shadowlands is raised into undeath. Does their spirit disappear from the shadowlands? What if they've been transformed by it into something else as many have? What happens to their memories? What happens to the shadowlands denizens' memories of them? None of this obvious stuff is covered.

Quote Originally Posted by Xez View Post
    I just want to know what happens when someone who has been dead and their soul has been in the shadowlands is raised into undeath. Does their spirit disappear from the shadowlands? What if they've been transformed by it into something else as many have? What happens to their memories? What happens to the shadowlands denizens' memories of them? None of this obvious stuff is covered.
    Souls dont instantly go to the Shadowlands and can actually just stay on the planet they died haunting areas. The Kyrian questline has you help a farmer pass on that refused to go. You replay his last moments so you can convince him that he died and its ok to move on. Then he gets dumped into the Maw LOL.

As far as bring back someone that has passed on. Who knows I am sure not even Blizz does.

the only dude who knows is the primus and the jailer.

the jailer is obviously not going to tell us and the primus only recently got released.

people in maldraxxus don't know cause they use death magic as opposed to necromancy magic us mortal plebs use.

DKs are probably the primus worst fear come true lol. an army all equipped with knockoffs of his ultimate weapon he thought to horrible to use himself.

DK lore is in the same place as literally everything in WoW, stuck in the hell that is human potential. They've lost their edge in favor of standing side by side with the other heroes of Azeroth as bastions of good and defenders of justice. Even the LK has become a big softie, selflessly obeying his daughter's every demand now that they're reunited. Who knew that all it took to defeat the big bad Scourge was a little tenderness and love.

Bloodsail Admiral Smallfruitbat's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cove210 View Post
    I don't know if I'm the only one but I have to say I am very disappointed in the enormous lack of DK lore for the expansion about the very origins of where DKs come from. Runeblades, the schools of DK magic of unholy, frost, and blood. I mean there is A LOT...and we got nothing. Not even a unique dialogue engagement with any npcs.
    Be careful what you wish for. I wanted to see more Night Elf lore and we got this abomination.

Definitely agree. I was really hoping that, much like we extended Xal'atath's storyline, we could build on what the death knights did in Legion since we were seeing the Four Horsemen again but they're reduced to completely insignificant side characters mentioned once or twice. I found some dialogue with Thassarian and his friend in Oribos and that was it.

Honestly the biggest disappointment storywise of the expansion for me. I realize we can't make the entire expansion story focused on it because not everyone rolls death knights, but still, BIG missed opportunities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Legion ended with death knights committing crimes against other classes and Bolvar not having issues killing dragons, now we are all best buddies again

Well I mean they got the one of the best campaign in Legion and you could Argue, Shadowlands is a carry on from that since they are heavily involved.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aside from the order halls there is very little class lore in general, it was a big shame that they removed the class quests in Cataclysm because it added a lot of flavour and context to classes

everything in Shadowlands is, unfortunately, an afterthought.
    ...that's just my opinion, anyway.

All of this cosmological stuff is too boring for me. I'd like to get Warcraft back, please. my thing is killing defias and orcs.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    OP is right. There was more DK lore in freaking Legion than in an expansion entirely dedicated to the origins and whereabouts of Death as a cosmic force.
    Let’s face it. Legion was in a different league.

they seemed to actually care about detail and depth and you could tell the incredible amount of effort that went into pretty much everything.

I don’t know why they abandoned such a positive increase in quality but I’ve not seen it since in wow. Shame

Shadowlands doent bring slightest impression that it is supposed to be the same place you got your DK horse mount from.

The problem is that DK class magic comes from Arthas's troops. There is no Blood magic or Frost magic in SL because Arthas crafted those DKs based on powers from Northrend, not the Shadowlands. They didn't want to make a vampire zone based on San'layn and instead went for the Nathrezim's zone (who never actually did vampire things like teh San'layn).

I do agree there should be a connection to Unholy (as it is pure necromancy, ie Maldraxxus) but I can understand why there aren't blood zones or frost zones.

tl;dr There isn't any DK lore because DK lore ended with Wrath.

Quote Originally Posted by Smallfruitbat View Post
    Be careful what you wish for. I wanted to see more Night Elf lore and we got this abomination.
    So much this. At this rate best we'll get is that DK lore is a shadow of the REAL lore... runeblades are a pale knock off of... wait... Mournblades... erm... eh... shit.