View Poll Results: What xpac had the more worse story?

Voters
420. You may not vote on this poll
  • WoD

151 35.95%
  • SL

269 64.05%
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    WoD was at least SOMEWHAT consistent. There is absolutely no consistency in SL and there have been more retcons than any other expansion.
    What story in WoD ? There was a story there? i know that we got nice cuts but? story ?? Could you remind me what it was about? Was it collect more crystals?/ The End? ahh yes that was it.

WoW lore is like a world designed by a bad D&D DM. I don't see this expansion's dumb story as any dumber than any other story line the game has done. They are all equally awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    strange, looks like you voted for WoD. at least before you posted it was 1:1. now its 2:1 for WoD. maybe missread the title ?

The title is broken English. I had to read it a few times to understand it.

- - - Updated - - -

Shadowlands is the first expansion in a long time, where I was actually interested in, and could get behind the story. I remember at the ending of Revendreth....I couldn't wait to get into Castle Nathria and kick Sire Denathrius' ass. I can't remember the last time I cared about an end boss, or an end boss whose story made sense.

Normally, I stop playing when they time gate quest lines, but I couldn't wait for Tuesday to get the next piece of the story. I think everything has been meticulously done in Shadowlands, and I HATE video game stories. I can't stand all those nerds that think Christie Golden is hot shit. I haven't read one book, short story, or anything, in the Warcraft universe where I didn't start laughing at how shit it is by the 2nd page. Video game writing is usually terrible.

I don't understand all the Shadowlands hate.
    Last edited by ablib; 2021-08-07 at 10:10 PM.

Embarking into the afterlife is already a hornet's nest fiction-wise. It's rarely satisfying and prone to screw up everything established beforehand.

But it's not impossible to pull off if handled carefully. The Shadowlands could've been a pretext to create mystical worlds and explore the philosophies of existing races further, see how they look at life and death.

But instead we got a highly mechanistic structure of largely new cultures that only tangentially related to the world of the living. It's as if the Shadowlands were supposed to be a plot-twist in and of itself. An "Your afterlife theories suck" kind of move.

And to make matters worse, all of the Shadowlands, even all of existence has to be at stake. It couldn't just be a slightly troubled place with tensions that have to be resolved. No, it had to be on the brink of collapse, taking everything with it.

These two choices combined make for an incredibly dour setting. I get that the first words that people associate with 'death' are 'grim', 'tragic' and 'bleak'. But that's a rather Western point of view. Plenty of other cultures, including fictional Warcraft cultures, look at death as just another passage, as a celebration, as tranquility and reconciliation with your ancestors. And sure, Shadowlands hit on a few of these points. Bastion and Ardenwaeld gave a glimpse of that, but then also had to stuff it with zealotry, and pettiness.

WoD was overly ambitious if you look at all the stuff that was cut. But at least conceptually and especially thematically it all worked. Meanwhile in the Shadowlands, the themes feel uncanny and uncomfortable, not just in a few places, but all throughout the expansion.

I didn't even mind all the gameplay aspects of Shadowlands. Good attempts. But if that theme isn't right, it repels me from the game.

WoD literally had to drop most of its plot out a window.

Never mind the fact that it's being compared to a story that's still in progress.

shadowlands is painfully cringe-inducing. I also found three typos in one of the chains of domination campaign chains.

Quote Originally Posted by terminaltrip421 View Post
    shadowlands is painfully cringe-inducing. I also found three typos in one of the chains of domination campaign chains.
    ... Literally every expansion has had plenty of typos.

The first boss of Antorus had typos in the dialogue lines for quite a while, pretty sure it lasted nearly the entire final patch last I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    The title is broken English. I had to read it a few times to understand it.

- - - Updated - - -

Shadowlands is the first expansion in a long time, where I was actually interested in, and could get behind the story. I remember at the ending of Revendreth....I couldn't wait to get into Castle Nathria and kick Sire Denathrius' ass. I can't remember the last time I cared about an end boss, or an end boss whose story made sense.

Normally, I stop playing when they time gate quest lines, but I couldn't wait for Tuesday to get the next piece of the story. I think everything has been meticulously done in Shadowlands, and I HATE video game stories. I can't stand all those nerds that think Christie Golden is hot shit. I haven't read one book, short story, or anything, in the Warcraft universe where I didn't start laughing at how shit it is by the 2nd page. Video game writing is usually terrible.

I don't understand all the Shadowlands hate.
    yep, you are totally right. english is obviously not my native language. the „more“ seems rather missplaced here. i corrected that. not sure if its 100% correct now. is it?

sadly i can not change the poll title (whyever). but at least, i tried.

sorry for the bad english and thx a lot for pointing that out.
    Last edited by Niwes; 2021-08-08 at 03:23 AM.

WoD had a bad initiation, a great start, and an insulting ending. SL/BFA (bc it's the same storyline tbh) are drip fed a lot of meh that can't cover the blunders.

It comes down to preference which is worse, but I vote WoD. SLs is disappointing, but WoD nearly killed all interest for me.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

Draenor is free! vs I will not serve!

Both sucks but atleast WoD had that WoW aesthetic and vibe and awesome raids/dungeons.
    Tbh, all filler expansions sucks Cataclysm, WoD and Shadowlands.
    Last edited by WhiteUsedSocks; 2021-08-08 at 04:02 AM.
    There is a saying: "don't fix what isn't broken". Blizzard does NOT follow this saying. To them its "if it isn't broken fix it until it is"