View Poll Results: What xpac had the more worse story?

Voters
420. This poll is closed
  • WoD

151 35.95%
  • SL

269 64.05%
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Anything to do with time travel always devolves into a shit story, but SL is like the meme "they had us in the first half" it started off pretty decent but then shit the bed.

7+ Year Old Account
    Parallel universe shenanigans is bad

Going to the actual realm of death and removing its mystery only to find out you can use a fucking portal to go there now like it's just another landmass is terrible
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

hahaha typical mmo-c threads. "current expansion bad, 2 expansions ago good".

WoD, for all I can criticize about it, had an awesome opening story. They did a great job, the questing experience really actually made me care about a story I didn't think I'd care about. While the post-launch support was awful, that first part (which ended up being the majority of the story, sadly...) can't be taken away in my eyes.

Shadowlands was bad almost from the moment I started. There is nothing in the story that isn't horribly derivative or awkwardly narrated.

WoDs u-turn will forever be worst.

WE WILL BE CONQ.... Eh, I mean, DRAENOR IS F(REEEEEEEE)

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    WoD story is contained in its own world while Shadowlands is doing a great job to straight up destroy the old lore while they keep shoving Sylvanas down our throats. Its so much easier to just ignore WoD and look back at the good old lore which wasn't ruined. They should have never done both an alternate universe and exploring the afterlife.
    Pretty much this. While WoD story was just awful, it was at least pretty much isolated in its own dimension (hue hue). But SL has so far destroyed large swaths of the old lore, namely a good part of WC3 and almost all of WotLK. I fear to see how much more of the old lore will fall prey to the inept paws of Danuser & co.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LuminaL View Post
    hahaha typical mmo-c threads. "current expansion bad, 2 expansions ago good".
    I still can't understand how you managed to conclude that WoD story is considered "good". It isn't as bad as SL in the eyes of many players, but that doesn't mean it's "good" /facepalm
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

I mean WoD had one silly twist cause it's content was cut in favor of coaching and Legion. It wasn't bad aside from Grommash just getting out scot free.

But SL is BS after BS. It is without a doubt the worst ever. By far worse than BfA as well, which again, was rushed.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2021-08-02 at 01:37 AM.

WoD was just the worst. An alternate reality filled with nothing but orcs.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is like asking which foot you want cut off, its agony either way.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    10.0: We wake up. *Insert Lore Figure Here (cough cough KHADGAR AND/OR MEDIVH cough cough)* pulls us out of N'zoth's illusion into a world where the greatest heroes and champions were stuck in a "Coma" and the Void Lords went to town.

That honestly is the only way that SL can be redeemed is if it was all just a bad nightmare.
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

WoD story was a turning point of dividing timeline into two so there is no recovery from that. That could have been interesting if done right but was bland.

SL is a culminations of absolute garbage that started since legion and only went downhill.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

Yeah the character has become waaay too powerful how are we stronger than death lol

While WoD's story was derivative, there were only a few glaring problems with it (stupid premise, the Warlords were hyped up in the trailers but turned out to be wimps except for Blackhand and Kilrogg, barely any post-questing story, stupid Archimonde/demons retcon, stupid Grom getting off scott free for mass murder). The rest of the WoD story experience was pretty good.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    10.0: We wake up. *Insert Lore Figure Here (cough cough KHADGAR AND/OR MEDIVH cough cough)* pulls us out of N'zoth's illusion into a world where the greatest heroes and champions were stuck in a "Coma" and the Void Lords went to town.

That honestly is the only way that SL can be redeemed is if it was all just a bad nightmare.
    Cringeworthy as it would be, it could still be considered a lesser evil kind of thing. I can't wait to see Kerrigan Sylvanas leading the charge against Amon the janitor, effortlessly striking him down thanks to the power of friendship, only to go off to hunt the Void Lords
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    Hey,

inspired by another SL story thread, i asked myself what MMOC ppls say:

Which one had/has the more worse story? WoD or SL ?

This thread should not feel like its purely targeted to ppl that do not like the SL story. Or to disgrace SL (or WoD). But i also do not want to add some „i liked both, but WoD more“ and „i liked both, but SL more“ options, since when you like SL factor 100 more than WoD, it still answers the question. In short: I purely wanna find out what ppl vote solely between the 2, even when that poll feels a bit negatively associated (what is not my intention per se).

So, without any real rating HOW good or bad you find the story of the 2 xpacs: Which one had/has, in your opinion, the more worse story ?

WoD or SL ?

Happy voting

Edit:

REMINDER: Dont forget we talk solely about the story/writing/lore here, NOT about the xpac itself (xpac as a whole)!
    I voted shadowlands but the worse story so far was BfA

WoD story is ok, the problem of the expansion overrall was that blizzard abbandoned it, so even lore was incomplete.
    BfA was so garbage, but so garbage.. that kame ha me ha against n'zoth was such a meme
    Quote Originally Posted by Overlordd View Post
    This race is an abomination and atrocity. This race doesn't belong in World of Warcraft at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    Got ganked by a Vulpera, huh?

WODS story fell victim to the abandonment during Alpha and than was strung together at a kindergarten level. SL writing was terrible, set up was horrible, it was poorly fleshed out and the writers managed to right themselves into a corner in which they are pretty much screwed..

At least none of them was as bad as the BfA garbage that leads us to Sylvanas "what direction are we going with this again" Windrunner inconsistency.

Just hoping its all us and the 17 horsemen vs the janitor from now on.

"I'LL SET US ALL F(REEEE)... wait, what, serve?"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoTorres View Post
    I voted shadowlands but the worse story so far was BfA

BfA was so garbage, but so garbage.. that kame ha me ha against n'zoth was such a meme
    Yeah, just awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    What is in your opinion more worse ? WoD story or SL story ?
    "That xPac's story is bad."
    "All the stories are bad, but that xPac has the bad story we could come up with."

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

I feel like I fell asleep somewhere around pre-legion and just woke up and I'm like "Sorry, who dis?" "What does s/he want?" "Ok, but why?" "Huh, this doesn't make any sense."

At least with WoD I had an anchor to somekind of lore ground. Yeah "Draenor is free!" was a cringy meme, but like "I will not serve!"... ???

Shadowlands is far worse. If you told me to tell you the story of SL I couldn't even begin. I don't know where we are, I don't know what anyone's motivations are, I don't know anything. Except that the Jailer is a bad guy and so is Sylvanus, except no she's not because he said "serve" in a cutscene (if he would have said "obey" instead she probably wouldn't have even blinked), and Elune let a bunch of night elves die and get sent to the Maw because she loves her people so much that...

I've seen better plotting on the back of microwave food. At least the plot is clear and follows to a logical conclusion - I open the box, I cook the food, I eat the food.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!