View Poll Results: What xpac had the more worse story?

Voters
420. This poll is closed
  • WoD

151 35.95%
  • SL

269 64.05%
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    I thought the story in WoD was a shambles, BUT, it still felt like warcraft. SL is far, far less enjoyable for me personally, and I dont give a shit about ANY of the characters, and I just dont enjoy it. To be clear, I didnt enjoy BfA at all either, although it had a couple of ok moments, and I actually didnt like the story in Legion at all either, except for the parts attached to the weapons which I found moderately enjoyable.

Personally, I just dont enjoy all this cosmic space world ending shit, I prefer the more grounded situations. Even with the time travel, once we were through, WoD had a pretty standard story really.
    Yep, same. Especially bolded part. Im getting tired of cliché plot twists as well "It was planned all along" and other nonsense. The more grounded and simpler story the better. Making cosmic shit with 9001 plot twists ain't my thing.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

The problem is that we know the entire WoD story, while we're missing like half of Shadowlands'. So yeah, even if Shadowlands doesn't seem brilliant so far, we have no idea where it's heading towards, especially with all those lunatic NPCs and that shitloads of secrets everyone seems to hold dear for some reason.

Of course, currently WoD may be seen as worse (didn't look at the poll results) because we know, well, how it ended, nobody needs to be reminded about that.
    We also have Shadowlands which is fresh obviously, and clearly bad. Warlords of Draenor was out 7 years ago, so it's also safe to say plenty of people didn't experience it when it was current.

I don't think we can judge Shadowlands so far. Maybe nothing makes sense right now but somehow the Jailer's Ending Cinematic will be so mind-blowing it will totally explain 100% of all Warcraft mysteries in one go and then Shadowlands will be the best expac ever.
    Or it will end with Jailer revealing he was Azeroth all along, declare he/she's in love with Nathanos since the beginning and all that was a plan for both to have beautiful babies together, and yeah, it will be terrific.

But until then ? Difficult to say.

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    Yep, same. Especially bolded part. Im getting tired of cliché plot twists as well "It was planned all along" and other nonsense. The more grounded and simpler story the better. Making cosmic shit with 9001 plot twists ain't my thing.
    To be fair I fully accept that time travel and alternate timelines absolutely fall under "cosmic world ending shit", but for me, personally, it felt very different - it felt grounded - ONCE we were in said alt time line. Orks being Orks, Humans being humans, and the other races being the other races.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    I'm honestly surprised Zovaal didn't turn and wink at the camera before walking into the portal.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    SL has ruined way more established lore. With WoD, we can at least say that ruining the established lore is in a different timeline. We can't do that with SL.
    That's fair enough, I did realize that after posting and was interested to see if someone would call me out on it.

At least the AU can of worms can be ignored if you simply don't introduce any more means for travelling between them, the can of worms that SL introduces with how death works is more difficult to ignore.

I'd still say WoD is worse though. At least SL has some moments of interest for me that I want to see how they play out. In WoD, on top of being just uninteresting and inconsistent, you always know it was an AU so literally nothing that happened would have any lasting consequences.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    If it was just a couple people, maybe you'd have a point. But A LOT of people are dissatisfied with SL's story so far. you trying to call all of them "vengeful exes" and "gaslighters" is ironic considering you're literally gaslighting people in this thread by calling them "vengeful exes".
    I think the separation in my post was obvious enough, hence I said it's OK to feel that way as long as it's not obvious "current expansion everything bad" usual trolling.

The response was that besides that you have about half a dozen to dozen posters here who made this forum into a personal pigsty of incessant whine about the game they supposedly don't play for years. And these people constantly instigate this shit no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrif View Post
    That's fair enough, I did realize that after posting and was interested to see if someone would call me out on it.

At least the AU can of worms can be ignored if you simply don't introduce any more means for travelling between them, the can of worms that SL introduces with how death works is more difficult to ignore.

I'd still say WoD is worse though. At least SL has some moments of interest for me that I want to see how they play out. In WoD, on top of being just uninteresting and inconsistent, you always know it was an AU so literally nothing that happened would have any lasting consequences.
    WoD was interesting but it was consistent(for the most part. What the actual fuck with that last raid?) SL, meanwhile, hasn't been consistent at all. Just random shit happening and overdosing on Rule of Cool. I have absolutely no fucking idea what's really happening or what the Jailer's true goals are because Blizzard keeps flipflopping

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    I think the separation in my post was obvious enough, hence I said it's OK to feel that way as long as it's not obvious "current expansion everything bad" usual trolling.

The response was that besides that you have about half a dozen to dozen posters here who made this forum into a personal pigsty of incessant whine about the game they supposedly don't play for years. And these people constantly instigate this shit no matter what.
    I can actually agree with you on that. I won't throw names out because....I'd rather not get banned, but there are a lot of people who instigate just to rile up the hornet's nest. Am I innocent in the complaining? No. But I played the game for over a decade. I used to sing this game praises. Now? Now, I have to struggle to find anything redeeming about the game when it comes to the most recent expansion.

There’s one question that has to be answered to be able to answer this thread:

Has WoD damaged or destroyed any previous established Warcraft lore? No, not really, due to its alternate universe character.

Has Shadowlands damaged or destroyed any previous established Warcraft lore? Yes, a lot of it. And that’s enough to make it overall the worst expansion storyline in WoW ever. It has destroyed so much and it’s just halfway done yet.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Casshern View Post
    Shadowlands is worse by a lanslide, everything is made up out of nowhere and the main villain is literally a nobody we don’t know anything about, we didn’t know about the sigils but they are super important, about the sepulcher, about the forbidden knowledge etc…everything looks like a giant filler and i can’t wait for it to be over.
    Which applies for every single piece of lore ever created in this game.

Every piece of lore was new at some point that was expanded upon, you know. Not saying Shadowlands is good by any means, but.. Come on.
    Hi

No thing can be worse than stuff that involves sylvanas.

They completely butchered anything that was good about her already

Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    Hey,

inspired by another SL story thread, i asked myself what MMOC ppls say:

Which one had/has the more worse story? WoD or SL ?

This thread should not feel like its purely targeted to ppl that do not like the SL story. Or to disgrace SL (or WoD). But i also do not want to add some „i liked both, but WoD more“ and „i liked both, but SL more“ options, since when you like SL factor 100 more than WoD, it still answers the question. In short: I purely wanna find out what ppl vote solely between the 2, even when that poll feels a bit negatively associated (what is not my intention per se).

So, without any real rating HOW good or bad you find the story of the 2 xpacs: Which one had/has, in your opinion, the more worse story ?

WoD or SL ?

Happy voting

Edit:

REMINDER: Dont forget we talk solely about the story/writing/lore here, NOT about the xpac itself (xpac as a whole)!

I actually think WODs story was decent if you took out the whole alternate timeline junk

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelangel View Post
    -snip-
    in video it is clear that as a 'god' she didn't know she was fueling the maw, what a joke of god she is
    and no she can and did save some nelfs, why she didn't help the rest of nation is puzzling, maybe because nelfs themselves don't care about teldrassil as much as MHJ or Ashenvalde? (and in that case why she is afk in ashenvale)
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

WoD is the origin story of Yrel. You rescued her when you first invaded the pass outland, in the first scenario even.

Then you gave her encouragement in the middle of the expansion quest line and she become a Paladin in your face.

Then she became the hero the pass realm.

That is a story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teucer View Post
    I actually think WODs story was decent if you took out the whole alternate timeline junk
    Even the alternate time space with Legion somehow transcending it bullcrap aside - you had the whole Iron Horde story literally cut in the middle with a cutscene somehow flipped insta to Guldan taking over.

WoD really needed something actual between BRF and HFC and all it got is cutscene.

Quote Originally Posted by gobio View Post
    WoD is the origin story of Yrel. You rescued her when you first invaded the pass outland, in the first scenario even.

Then you gave her encouragement in the middle of the expansion quest line and she become a Paladin in your face.

Then she became the hero the pass realm.

That is a story.
    And then they ruined her by making her into space Hitler in BFA (Mag'har questline).

BFA and after is just ruining lore characters... actually I'd say it started in Legion with mindlessly killing off Vol'Jin. It's just who can we kill off / turn evil / resurrect for shock value...

1. Overall: WoD had an awesome theme that allowed me look over the story's weaknesses (at least in the beginning), as well as a lot of potential for further development that ended up not being used. In the months after WoD's launch, I was interested in playing through it and in experiencing the finale of WoD. By contrast, I've never had any hype for SL and nothing about its story excites me in any way... because the game hasn't managed to make me care about what's going on. I don't even know what's going on (what Sylvanas wanted, what the Jailor really wants, what the actual stakes are etc.), and we're already halfway into the expansion. Every new cinematic they release creates more questions than answers and some of the cheapest cliffhangers I've ever seen, as if they're assuming that SL's players have some kind of early Game of Thrones levels of interest to keep watching. And I, for one, don't.

2. Taking into account their respective launch dates, at this point into the expansion WoD would be around the launch of 6.2, which is when the story's quality took its nosedive (switch to Burning Legion as main antagonist, alternate Grom being our friend out of nowhere, "Draenor is freeeee" etc.). SL, on the other hand, did not have this type of inflection point (yet), and if it did, it would not be from enjoyable to bad (like WoD), but rather from bad to worse.

3. Impact: Although time travel/parallel universes stories face an uphill struggle, my initial understanding was that WoD would be a self-contained adventure, a loop, and that it would have no major impact on the main timeline/universe. My perception from Blizzcon 2013 was that they wanted a fanservice expansion in order to bring WoW back to its traditional themes, after the departure that they had taken in MoP. For this reason, I was on board at first, but I abandoned ship when they started talking about a Burning Legion that transcends all timelines and similar elements. Alternate Gul'dan crossing over into the main timeline to initiate the Legion events and the alternate mag'har joining the main universe's Horde are, to me, "infections" caused by WoD on the main timeline. By contrast, the impact of SL on Warcraft lore is on a higher scale of magnitude, with inconsistencies that retroactively ruin major plots and characters from previous games (as far back as Warcraft III).

Conclusion: I think that WoD's story, although flawed in so many ways, was better than SL.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    WoD and it isn't even close. They shit on a lot of established lore and they squandered a lot of really cool historic characters. Legion was better because it was "Well we've already shit on the lore so now we're making the best of the mess we made." - BFA was a lot of freestyling on new takes on existing lore and new stuff. SL is at least MOSTLY new stuff that they're dealing with and they're doing an okay job of it. It's not my favorite story but SL's story is the least of its problems.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

Shadowlands no longer feels like Warcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    in video it is clear that as a 'god' she didn't know she was fueling the maw, what a joke of god she is
    None of the 'gods' in the WoW universe are omnipotent or omniscient. We have defeated gods and their avatars. The only reason people seem to cling to this notion (by now) that Elune isn't approximately the same power level as the WQ or Denathrius or even Zovaal is headcanon that Elune has to be 'different' somehow.

What utter bollocks. Elune's never been more than some mysterious being of worship.

WoD was broken and was clearly missing key steps. Hellscream redemption for example was nonsensical for example at especially so for the alliance.

SL... SL is just about destroying past characters to be honest. I started creating fanfiction in my head to try and explain the kel'thuzard retcon as well as garrosh raging himself back to life.

The obvious thanos rip off is just icing on the cake. You know for a moment I thought blizzard was going to pull the rug out from under us and make the twist the covenants were actually evil. Think about it... venth feed off of torture and suffering and in turn feed all of the shadowlands with it. Maldraxxus is eternal conflict,death and rebirth and is weirdly the most positive place you can end up. Morality doesn't matter to them success does as is explained in 9.1. Bastion destroys a persons identity until they are effectively a mindless machine to serve. The nightfae FEED souls to revive gods.

I actually thought we were gonna see the first "we are the bad guys!" moment in wow but I don't think blizzard is actually self aware enough to realize the plot they themselves wrote.