View Poll Results: What xpac had the more worse story?

Voters
420. This poll is closed
  • WoD

151 35.95%
  • SL

269 64.05%
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just wish they could stop telling they story in small parts were the characters intention is hidden from us. It doesn't make the story any better when things are revealed months from each other. Not everything has to be a mystery. We knew LK wanted, we knew what DW wanted, we knew what Garrosh wanted. Just tell us what exatly the Jailer is going after. It looks like he is after the soul of our world, Azeroth. But just tell us that. Else it will just lead to useless speculations.

BFA is the worst, followed by SL, then WoD

This isn't how it works, during the expansion no matter which one, it's the worst f'ing expansion of all time, when the new expansion comes out everyone start bashing that one and reminiscing about how all the previous expansions we're not so bad and actually good and some were exceptional.

I came back to wow at BFA, on horde, 4 months in to SL i switched to Alliance (joined family), during that bfa time i was all over classic for a good chunk of time, but my gawd BFA was the worst dumpster fire of all time, even worse than WoD, oddly enough i've been coming across threads over the last few months where bfa was actually a really good expansion, heck even WoD has a whole new following of fans ffs.
    looking out of my lonely room day after day

10+ Year Old Account
    talking trash about SL because you can't accept that there are realities that are not known yet. Is not like that everything outside your limited comfort zone is trash. LOL
    ...Le Poète est semblable au prince des nuées
    Qui hante la tempête e se rit de l'archer;
    Exilé sul le sol au milieu des huées,
    Ses ailes de géant l'empêchent de marcher.

Charles Baudelaire

Shadowlands is worse but WoD end boss switch sucks donkey balls as well

Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    Hey,

inspired by another SL story thread, i asked myself what MMOC ppls say:

Which one had/has the more worse story? WoD or SL ?

This thread should not feel like its purely targeted to ppl that do not like the SL story. Or to disgrace SL (or WoD). But i also do not want to add some „i liked both, but WoD more“ and „i liked both, but SL more“ options, since when you like SL factor 100 more than WoD, it still answers the question. In short: I purely wanna find out what ppl vote solely between the 2, even when that poll feels a bit negatively associated (what is not my intention per se).

So, without any real rating HOW good or bad you find the story of the 2 xpacs: Which one had/has, in your opinion, the more worse story ?

WoD or SL ?

Happy voting

Edit:

REMINDER: Dont forget we talk solely about the story/writing/lore here, NOT about the xpac itself (xpac as a whole)!
    What could honestly be worse than timey-wimey, poorly used BIG NAME characters ( i mean half the warlords were done in with and not even used as raid bosses ), half written plots, and characters that seemingly do things on a complete whim and forget what happened 20 minutes ago.

SL has had some interesting lore moments, a for the most part, wholish story, gonna judge it once everything is done. SL feels like the first time in a long time a big bad badie is there from the get go and we know who the final threat is. Covs are very cool, poorly implemented, but storywise, totally cool. It seems like a fleshed out afterlife and gives a lot of context to so many things. You are going to see negativity across the board in the current climate of things wow related.

1+ Year Old Account
    "Draenor is free" is just as bad as "I will never serve", but so far SL has a worse story purely on how absolutely inconsistent it is. I hate making comparisons to shit like star wars but the story in SL feels like the sequel trilogy in that it feels clobbered together at the last minute. Sylvanas going from "You will be made to serve" to "I will never serve" just from the jailor saying the same thing to force a redemption is such laughably bad writing.

Shadowlands I would consider the worst because its freshest in the mind. BFA and WoD don't get a pass either.

Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    pls explain Elune just recent video then, what does it mean, and is there anything behind it than showing that Bowmsamdi is actually and probably best god-like figure in azeroth?
    Like other polytheistic religions Elune as a polytheistic deity has little to no power outside of the realm she is in control of. If that is life or light we do not know yet. Zeus/Jupiter had absolutely no control of knowledge about what goes on within the realm of Hades or under the seas where Poseidon/Neptune ruled. Athena was the Goddess of war and wisdom but outside her realm, she was almost useless. Ares was useless at war.

That's polytheism, the gods are not the Abrahamic mythological one, very few gods even get that level even in fiction. As for Elune her interactions, her history has shown she can on Azeroth only interact at a limited manner. When the legion invaded all she did was essentially stop Tyrande from being killed yet never lifted a finger for the rest of the Kaldorei. No help in basically any other wars pretty much.

Her only other interaction is basically turning Kaldorei into whisps on death, what she did was basically due to the nature of being a life/light deity have no means of knowing what's going on in the shadowlands answered the call of the Winterqueen. After the burning of the world tree and while it was happening, her limited ability to intervene she used what she could so the kaldorei who would die didn't suffer and instead of turning them into whisps tried to get them into ardenwield.

SL is hands down the worst expansion to date , worst launch , worst starting experience , worst post content , worst story. Worst features god it’s absolute trash. At least WOD was fun just got cut way to early.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbleach View Post
    What could honestly be worse than timey-wimey, poorly used BIG NAME characters ( i mean half the warlords were done in with and not even used as raid bosses ), half written plots, and characters that seemingly do things on a complete whim and forget what happened 20 minutes ago.

SL has had some interesting lore moments, a for the most part, wholish story, gonna judge it once everything is done. SL feels like the first time in a long time a big bad badie is there from the get go and we know who the final threat is. Covs are very cool, poorly implemented, but storywise, totally cool. It seems like a fleshed out afterlife and gives a lot of context to so many things. You are going to see negativity across the board in the current climate of things wow related.
    the funny thing is, i think EXACTLY THIS about Legion:

What could honestly be worse than timey-wimey, poorly used BIG NAME characters, half written plots, and characters that seemingly do things on a complete whim and forget what happened 20 minutes ago.

To me Legion felt like a „spit all existing lore/BC stuff in a xpac“ without any deep or consistence. Every class order hall quest was spicked with some lore part, quickly spitted in, quested, some known character quickly killed, forgotten 20mins ago.

I know there are many ppl out there, for which Legion was one of the best xpacs ever made. To me it more felt like the start of the BfA/SL cheap shit BS and maybe just felt good, because in contrast to WoDs missing content. But i found Legion lousy and its funny to me, that EXACTLY the words you choose, dscribe perfectly, what Legion felt to me.

So, as always: Tastes differ.

But thanks for these statement. Even when you describing WoD with this statment, i never found such exact perfect words, to describe what Legion felt to me. So i write this not, to comment the topic or your statement in any way. Since Legion has nothing to do with this topic. I just had to write this, because your words so perfectly described what i felt about Legion.

SL because SL existed after Sylvanas multiple causal reeeeee to get away.

You can say she is backed by mystery copied villain of the expansion so she can reeeeee away however she want. But why would the alliance bother to corner her for the nth time fully knowing she would just reeeeeeeeee. Why act surprise. the dialog should be like "We killed all your troops, there is nothing for you to do here, reeeee away!"

At least show some cut scene of alliance / horde mages and scholar talking about how to stop her reeeeee before confronting her. But no, oooops she reeeeeee away AGAIN, well good jobs guys, we tried. Yeah that's what banshee does, yep yep yep, nothing we can do.
    Last edited by gobio; 2021-08-06 at 06:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoD was shit but WoD gave us Gul'dan so I would say its slightly better than SL for that reason alone.

WoD had the most asspull setup and was the most unfinished/rushed. Otherwise, I think it was okay. We got attacked by orcs. We killed the orcs. Some of them summoned the legion, like orcs do, and we started fighting the legion. If they would have had time to flesh out the in between bits a bit more (shattrah raid, that island that got deleted, the questing in terrokar forrest), it would probably have been a decent expansion with a silly premise.

BFA has the worst structure and focus. It had the worst character arcs and motivation. It was just terrible from start to finish. The only thing I kinda liked was the Jaina and Zandalar stories during leveling and they were mostly unrelated to what was happening (the tree burning, Nagas, old gods showing up and so on).

SL as a premise makes sense. It has a pretty good setup and the structure so far is fine..ish. It's just still plagued by the terrible arcs started in BFA (nightwarrior/elune and Sylvanas) and is really trying to hard with creating SUPER shocking MOMENTS 11! without proper setup/buildup. Just like BFA was. Oh and the villain is probably the most boring "super evil titan" since the guy from Guardians of the Galaxy 1.

So while the SL story is by no means enjoyable to play through, I don't think there will ever be story as bad as BFA.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

WoD gave us some insight in a lot of races, which was great. SL opened the doors for more original content, the buildup came out of nowhere. But maybe if they build it up more, the Sylvannas breaking the helmet would have hit less hard. Overal both were ok, but have gaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivarr View Post
    Shadowlands no longer feels like Warcraft.
    That's my biggest issue with SL, besides the hamfisted push to redeem Sylvanas (The most recent campaign questline lays the groundwork, it's slathered on pretty thick), it doesn't feel like Warcraft anymore, for all its failings, WoD at least had the Warcraft vibe, we were fighting armies, not a bald bondage-club refugee with the infinity gauntlet.

I Think WoD was worse. It was an expansion that had potential to be awesome but the delivery (story and world) was really bad. I enjoyed the raids and gameplay of many classes though.

SL.

Both are bad, and time traveling stories/alternate stories are usually just as bad as afterlife ones but I give the nod to SL as being worse simply because it retconned practically all of WoW to make its generic super villain pretend interesting when he’s already the god of death basically, they didn’t need to retcon him into all of wows past to make an interesting villain out of death

Say what you will about WOD but once we left it we left it basically (gul’dan being the exception) but SL will forever negatively affect the story of all of WoW history. You won’t even be able to play wc3 again without now questioning if it even makes sense within the context of its own story.. thanks to SL

Time travel is bad, but retconning history in fantasy to a major degree like this screams creative bankruptcy

I would say SL, though things can change between now and the end of the expansion. The worst lore eviscerations in WoD happened in the final patch after all.

Generally though I think SL is worse. I thought it was a bad idea to have an entire expansion set in the Shadowlands before it was even announced and lo it came to pass.
    The game simply does not have the narrative weight to be able to answer the questions it has posed on the Shadowlands. Kyrians carrying souls is one of those that raises further plotholes.
    If souls spend an eternity in the Shadowlands then why are they judged on their life when their afterlife is infinitely longer?

Generally though that is what makes it bad on a conceptual level. On a more general storyline level the two are about on par so far. Both have good and bad moments sprinkled throughout, along with Some exceptionally good moments like the Uther storyline, or Maraad sacrificing himself, and some horrible moments, like the Sylvanas face heel turn and the "Draenor is free" yell.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Quote Originally Posted by Mightytasty View Post
    [spoilers] Well I’m glad you enjoyed Dany losing a dragon to capture a wight for Cersei for no reason, the Winterfell army charging the undead in complete darkness for no reason, Arya leaping from off-screen to land the killing blow on the Night King at the 11th hour, Jaime riding north not to complete his redemption arc established in season 3 but to have sex with Brienne and return to Kings Landing die with Cersei, Dany ignoring 7 seasons of character development and becoming the Mad Queen anyway, certain plot lines forgotten entirely etc I could go on
    Most of that made sense within the context of the story, it just wasn’t the happy ending people wanted. But it’s hbo, hbo never does the cliche happy ending.

Going for a a wight was a mistake that they’d make. If anything, more should’ve died on it

Jaime was never meant for redemption, that’s the entire point, he was always meant to go back to Cersei.

The Arya night king thing I’ll give you, that was just bad.

The winterfell army that charged were basically mercenaries, farmers, or Daeny’s riders who would ride out rather than stay disciplined. They aren’t exactly the Roman legionaries.

Daeny becoming the mad queen WAS her destiny all along. You either die a hero or live long enough to become a villain. Daeny was always going to become the mad queen no matter what her fans delusionally wanted, she and none of them can escape their destiny and evil runs in her blood. The only gripe there was the happily ever after afterwards when it should have been chaos an all out war to end it after her death. Got took the cowards way out at the end like BB because they didn’t wanna upset all the fans by killing everyone off like the story dictated

That is all, and let’s not derail this thread further.