Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Wouldn't there be more hybrid races lorewise?

First off this is not a thread asking for hybrid races in the game.

Given that the Horde and the Alliance are coalitions made up of the various races of Azeroth, some of these races long time members, others new, wouldn't there be more hybrid races in reflected in the factions?

Orcs and Trolls have shared a long history dating back to the Second War with Forest Trolls being part of the Horde and later on Darkspear Trolls. Similarly, Gnomes and Dwarfs have a close relationship dating back hundreds of years. Although in game we did see a marriage between a gnome and goblin in BFA. While this is not a priority, it would be cool to see in a novel that races of the Horde and Alliance have started to intermingle.

Obviously Me'dan was a complete flop to introduce mixed races in-game. Which is partly why it is not touched upon, but done correctly it would be interesting to see what the reaction of lore characters would be.

I mean an Orc/Troll Hybrid would be a scary sight. The strength and bloodlust of an Orc combined with the regeneration and berserking of a troll would be legendary.

7+ Year Old Account
    yes and no.

like, races in wow are racist, period, they will choose to deal with their own species, of course hybrids would exist but their numbers would be small compared to the total population, they are rare exceptions even when the races are more close.

Second, it is a can of worms, because there is too many races already, and they barely focus on then, if they start doing hybrids they will end up having to do all of the possibilities end and that is a hell hole. Its better to just ignore for the greater good, cause, if two totally different aliens can make an offspring and this one can create another one with a titan construct made flesh, you will expect weird shit like tauren and gnome offspring making affairs with the offspring of pandarens and goblins.

Even in dungeon and dragons nowadays they refrain themselves with half-orcs and half elves, making exclusively from human half.

For your last point there was one orc/troll hybrid in a hq i think, he was essentially a "monster" of how he combined the physical prowess of the two races.
    Last edited by Syegfryed; 2021-08-02 at 07:21 PM.

I know they touched on this slightly with Garona and how she's an outcast because of it. So it might be there are some but they keep it hidden because the other races aren't ready to accept it. It reminds me of a questline to open Mechagon on either horde or alliance where you met a goblin and a gnome I think it was and they had to dress up the goblin so the other alliance races wouldn't know about it.

So it could be the other races see it as being traitorous or something.

I believe there was a blood elf/troll hybrid in one of the Tokyopop novels. It touched on the fact that both sides treat him like shit, but outcast groups (bounty hunters, pirates, etc) didn't give a damn.

Edit: Pardon, I got that wrong. It was a night elf with a half-troll mother, so a kind of quarter troll hybrid stuff going on.
    This is the character: https://wowwiki-archive.fandom.com/wiki/Lelior
    Last edited by JSoup; 2021-08-02 at 05:11 AM.

Some races probably won't be able to produce offspring in the first place (unless anyone thinks a Tauren/Gnome is a good idea). The Forsaken are an interesting case, as we basically only see human Forsaken but they'd basically be hybrids with any race by definition (Forsaken/x).

We know of preciously few hybrids in canon, while I'm sure cross-species relations are quite common (just go to the tent at the edge of Highmaul...). So it's possible that viable offspring between different races are a very rare occurence.

There are lots of hybrids in the story presently. We have the mok'nathal, which are orc/ogre hybrids. We have the Windrunner progeny, which are all elf/human hybrids. Garona is orc/draenei (previously orc/human). Some of these (orc/ogre) make more sense than others (elf/human), given that orcs and ogres are both offshoots of the colossals, while the humans are derivative of the valkyr which, in turn, were created by the keepers, while the elves are offshoots of the trolls being affected by the magic of Azeroth's gaping wound. The fact that draenei and orcs are genetically compatible is quite surprising, given they were from very different worlds and origins. Med'an was half-human, quarter-orc, quarter-draenei if memory serves correctly, suggesting that all three worlds are compatible for hybrids.

The biggest issue with large-scale hybrid representation would be that they'd have to exist in appropriate numbers. Aside from the mok'nathal, which were intentionally bred by ogres, most are one-offs, so there's not really a reason for them to have their own factions. Thus while they can be encountered within most expansions, it's only one or two rare characters showing up. So while it's possible that a gnome and a dwarf had children, our characters may never meet them, and thus they don't show up within the narrative.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unpacking it, so to speak, there's no sound logic or reasoning as to which species can produce offspring and which can't.

There are half-elf hybrids like Arator, and while High Elves and Humans look similar, but... cladistically, I guess... speaking, their origins are about as far-distant as WoW races can get.

High elves are the descendants of the Quel'dorei who in turn were a faction of Night Elves who themselves were trolls mutated by the powers of the well of eternity while the trolls themselves were naturally evolved life forms of azeroth. Humans, meanwhile, are the descendants of Vrykul affected by the old-god created curse of flesh while the Vrykul are direct creations of the titans. And yet these two races can create viable offspring with one another.

I'm pretty sure it's a matter of "if these two races bang, are the offspring they create cool/hot enough?"
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    I believe there was a blood elf/troll hybrid in one of the Tokyopop novels. It touched on the fact that both sides treat him like shit, but outcast groups (bounty hunters, pirates, etc) didn't give a damn.

Edit: Pardon, I got that wrong. It was a night elf with a half-troll mother, so a kind of quarter troll hybrid stuff going on.
    Much more accurately, it was a night elf telling someone "your mother was a half-troll," which really should be taken about as seriously as any other "your mother" insult.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Unpacking it, so to speak, there's no sound logic or reasoning as to which species can produce offspring and which can't.

[...]

I'm pretty sure it's a matter of "if these two races bang, are the offspring they create cool/hot enough?"
    Rule of Cool.

Arguing from biology in a game with fireballs and dragons is a stretch to begin with

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Rule of Cool.

Arguing from biology in a game with fireballs and dragons is a stretch to begin with
    Pretty much.

Greek god statue-looking human paladin bangs a victoria's secret catalog elf huntress and produces prettyboy, boyband-looking half-elf paladin offspring? Of course.

dirty goblin man bangs cow woman? Probably not so much. And while I'm sure Rule 34 has taken care of the conception part of that, we're probably not going to be seeing such an awkward race combo in-game any time soon.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

You also don’t know the compatibility of some races and other races genetically. We know the ogre and Orcs work, elves(high/blood) and humans, gorona, but we don’t know if gnomes and Dwarves actually work genetically or trolls and other races. Hell who knows if they even have compatible….bits. Story wise a race works when the writers want it too. We MIGHT see a gnome and goblin baby soon but we also might not, that couple might be too old for kids now.

It is likely that a lot of races can't produce hybrid offspring. While most share a basic humanoid core, they are still very different and varied. Add to that there's different origins, with some races being created by the titans, some evolving from elemental spirits, and even a mix of both. I remember only 3 viable hybrids we've seen that hasn't been retconned: Orc/Ogre, Orc/Draenei, Human/elf.
    The Orc/Ogre Mok'nathal makes sense, as the species are related. We don't know the Draenei origins, so it's possible they were created similarly to Orcs. But then there is the Human/Elf hybrid, which in fantasy is the simplest, but is actually the most interesting here. Humans descend from Vrykul which are Titanforged, but Elves descend from Trolls which evolved from some type of elementals, which means we have confirmation some races with ZERO relation can still produce hybrid offspring.

In the end it comes down to all the sapient races being xenophobic to some degree. We see it clearly, all empires and societies are based on communities of a single race. We have the Horde and the Alliance as unifying forces, but even there we see clearly how they stick with their own kind rather than intermingle. That's why we have Dwarven and Human districts, Troll villages and Goblin slums. Even Stormwind isn't one unified city, it's a human city that has given up districts to other races

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post

To be fair that guy was shafted from the beginning, because there are few races with more enmity than elves and trolls.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    yes and no.

like, races in wow are racist, period, they will choose to deal with their own species, of course hybrids would exist but their numbers would be small compared to the total population, they are rare exceptions even when the races are more close.

Second, it is a can of worms, because there is too many races already, and they barely focus on then, if they start doing hybrids they will end up having to do all of the possibilities end and that is a hell hole. Its better to just ignore for the greater good, cause, if two totally different aliens can make an offspring and this one can create another one with a titan construct made flesh, you will expect weird shit like tauren and gnome offspring making affairs with the offspring of pandarens and goblins.

Even in dungeon and dragons nowadays they refrain themselves with half-orcs and half elves, making exclusively from human half.

For your also point there was one orc/troll hybrid in a hq i think, he was essentially a "monster" of how he combined the physical prowess of the two races.
    Unlike us here on Earth. The races in wow are often different species and understandably don’t get along always.

Here on Earth, we are all the same race, just different ethnicities and cultures

Quote Originally Posted by Susanoo View Post
    First off this is not a thread asking for hybrid races in the game.

Given that the Horde and the Alliance are coalitions made up of the various races of Azeroth, some of these races long time members, others new, wouldn't there be more hybrid races in reflected in the factions?

Orcs and Trolls have shared a long history dating back to the Second War with Forest Trolls being part of the Horde and later on Darkspear Trolls. Similarly, Gnomes and Dwarfs have a close relationship dating back hundreds of years. Although in game we did see a marriage between a gnome and goblin in BFA. While this is not a priority, it would be cool to see in a novel that races of the Horde and Alliance have started to intermingle.

Obviously Me'dan was a complete flop to introduce mixed races in-game. Which is partly why it is not touched upon, but done correctly it would be interesting to see what the reaction of lore characters would be.

I mean an Orc/Troll Hybrid would be a scary sight. The strength and bloodlust of an Orc combined with the regeneration and berserking of a troll would be legendary.
    Species don't mix.
    As in do not, not should not.

If a dog fucks a cat you won't get a dat, a cog nor a catdog.

And it's even less likely something living can be produced by creatures of entirely different origins, such as from different planets.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

5+ Year Old Account
    So considering WoW (As well as a lot of other games) are based off of D&D, it's Classes and races (Some of them. You could say Draenei are based off the Tiefling) You would think yes. There might be more half breeds in lore. Half elves and Orcs have been choices in a lot of games as well as I am pretty sure In LoTRs which WoW is also based off. It's an interesting subject. You could say that the reason we don't see many half breed races, are because maybe the races mostly stick to their own. Only a few have gone and Mated with another race. However I don't expect blizzard to really put half breeds in the game as playable races. I don't feel a Orc would breed with any of the other races of the horde. They are much too proud. Only some have broke this and have mated with well.. Draenei.. and by mated.. Most likely forced. I can't see the Tauren really mating with another race since well they would likely kill their mate just giving birth to the half tauren/whatever. Obviously Undead cannot breed. And I feel like Trolls wouldn't necessarily mate with the other races either.

We know humans have mated with Elves. Since before the third war, the Humans and elves of quel'donas Were allied. I can't see A human or a kaldorei mating with a gnome. Considering if they got the gnome pregnant it would legit kill them. Night elves seem a lot like the orcs. Too proud. Plus Kaldorei don't have children often anymore. Unless that's change. The races kinda just don't mix. Some races can, others can't. We may see more half breeds in the future since many of the races are living with each other, but we wont know till the future.. if there is one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Pretty much.

Greek god statue-looking human paladin bangs a victoria's secret catalog elf huntress and produces prettyboy, boyband-looking half-elf paladin offspring? Of course.

dirty goblin man bangs cow woman? Probably not so much. And while I'm sure Rule 34 has taken care of the conception part of that, we're probably not going to be seeing such an awkward race combo in-game any time soon.
    There doesn't seem to be much logic to what and how it works, and basically nothing on what comes out of it. It'd probably be best to relegate most of the known half-breeds to magic and assume it doesn't work normally and not think to much about it otherwise. I mean we somehow have hybrids of species that aren't even from the same planet.

Though Elf-Troll hybrids do make a certain amount of sense. They're at least all from the same family.

10+ Year Old Account
    lorewise humans fuck anything that has a whole basically, there is half human of every other race, even orcs
    so yes they should be far more represented than they are
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

For Eastern Kingdoms and Draenor races, yes there should be a lot of halfbreeds floating around. For Thrall's Horde races, no there shouldn't really be many.

I'd imagine that there would have been quite a few Draenei x Orcish relationships in Draenor. That being said, every half Orc/Draenei the Horde came across would have almost certainly had been put to death. The only survivors would be those that fled with Velen, or are still in hiding in Outland. But there should be at least a handful of half Orc/Draenei in the Alliance today.

There should be a decent amount of Orc/Ogre in the Horde today, more than just Rexxar.

There should have been quite a lot of mixing between the Eastern Kingdoms races (Humans, Dwarves, Gnomes, and High Elves). Half breeds shouldn't be an uncommon sight.

Orc x Humans/Dwarves/Gnomes shouldn't be a thing. The Orcs ravaged the EK and nearly succeeded in their genocide of EK. Nobody would want to interact with the Orcs.

WC3 happens in the year 20. Even if we saw intermingling between Orcs, Trolls, and Tauren right away, any half breeds would only be 12-13 years old as of BFA & Shadowlands, at the very most. Blood Elves joined the Horde in the year 26, so any half breeds between say Elves and Orcs would only be 6-7 years old at the very most.

MoP happens in the year 30, so any Panda half breeds are at the very most, 2-3 years old.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is only one superior hybrid race, and Blizzard will never add them as playable.