Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Daronokk View Post
    The cash shop, Warcraft 3 Reforged and overall game release dates (and resulting problems due to tight deadlines) are all proven Activision's fault.

It's difficult to make a great game with your hands tied behind your back.
    Nonsense. Neither having cash shop is a problem -> XIV
    Nor Reforged
    Nor game release dates.

Nothing of it is even remotely a reason why game went to shit.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

Activision came in, blizz execs (and possibly old guard) got rich.
    Well deserved btw, if the people behind d2, d3 and first couple expansions of wow dont deserve a golden handshake, who in the gaming industry does.

Could they potentially pool all the money they made doing the merger, and buy back blizzard? maybe, but would it be worth it?

Mike and co have left Blizzard to start a new game studio, supposedly based on their old values. That's alot cheaper than refunding a billion dollar merge deal with activision, and despite the drop in player retention, blizzard as a company (stocks) is way more expensive today, than when they merged. Increasing the cost of a potential buyback today.

There's no logical way they buy back the blizzard IP's before actiblizz has run them into the ground. (Probably wont be too many years yet.)

10+ Year Old Account
    But if they leave then who can the community blame?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

7+ Year Old Account
    Why cant Blizzard leave Activision ?
    Co-dependency is a hell of a drug.

Quote Originally Posted by Amorac View Post
    Blizzard never merged with Activision.

Activision Blizzard is an merger between Activision and Vivendi Games, Vivendi Games owned Blizzard. Activision / Vivendi games then renamed themselves to Activision Blizzard

Later Vivendi (owner of
    Vivendi Games was bought out by Activision Blizzard.

I doubt
    Activision Blizzard can buy themselves from Activision Blizzard. For one, Blizzard is not for sale, and for another, not sure if Blizzard has the money to do that, they would need another investor and they would still be controlled by another company.
    Not sure if you got the phrasing wrong but Vivendi were never bought out by Activision-Blizzard, they're an absolutely massive international conglomerate that deals with everything from television to utilities to waste disposal.

Because in the real world, outside of MMO-C and social media outrage, shit don't work like that.

Blame bad developments and culture on Blizzard, because they're the ones in the end doing the work and making the decisions around the games they put out under their own company.

Quote Originally Posted by Daronokk View Post
    The cash shop, Warcraft 3 Reforged and overall game release dates (and resulting problems due to tight deadlines) are all proven Activision's fault.

It's difficult to make a great game with your hands tied behind your back.
    The cash shop was obviously on the cards before Activision came anywhere near Blizzard. We already had RMT mounts in Vanilla from the TCG and TBC introduced MTX like server transfers and name-changes. When the cash shop proper came in Blizzard and Activision were still controlled by Vivendi SA, the people who had owned Blizz since before WoW was released.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Not sure if you got the phrasing wrong but Vivendi were never bought out by Activision-Blizzard, they're an absolutely massive international conglomerate that deals with everything from television to utilities to waste disposal.
    This sound like a buyout to me:

Split from Vivendi and growth (2013–2014)

On July 25, 2013, Activision Blizzard announced the purchase of 429 million shares from owner Vivendi for $5.83 billion, dropping the shareholder from a 63% stake to 11.8% by the end of the deal in September.[33] At the conclusion of the deal, Vivendi was no longer Activision Blizzard's parent company,[34] and Activision Blizzard became an independent company as a majority of the shares became owned by the public. Bobby Kotick and Brian Kelly retained a 24.4% stake in the company overall. In addition, Kotick remained the president and CEO, with Brian Kelly taking over as chairman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activision_Blizzard#Split_from_Vivendi_and_growth_(2013%E2%80%932014)
    On 25 July 2013, Vivendi asset Activision Blizzard announced the purchase of 429 million shares from Vivendi for $5.83 billion, dropping the shareholder from a 63% stake to 11.8% by the end of the deal in September, ending Vivendi's majority ownership of Activision Blizzard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivendi
    Also

Recently, however, Vivendi has been struggling to reduce its debt, reported to be in the region of $17bn. The conglomerate is also in talks to sell off its shares in African phone operator Maroc Telecom to Etisalat for $5.5bn.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...splits-vivendi
    Last edited by Amorac; 2021-08-03 at 04:01 PM.
    ~Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.~
    ~Every damn thing you do in this life, you have to pay for.~

For the same reason Donalds can't leave Mc.

Same reason England can't leave Europe.
    One is a fundamental part of the other and their departure will not be taken with anything but hostility.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by Kaykay View Post
    Activision came in, blizz execs (and possibly old guard) got rich.
    Well deserved btw, if the people behind d2, d3 and first couple expansions of wow dont deserve a golden handshake, who in the gaming industry does.

Could they potentially pool all the money they made doing the merger, and buy back blizzard? maybe, but would it be worth it?

Mike and co have left Blizzard to start a new game studio, supposedly based on their old values. That's alot cheaper than refunding a billion dollar merge deal with activision, and despite the drop in player retention, blizzard as a company (stocks) is way more expensive today, than when they merged. Increasing the cost of a potential buyback today.

There's no logical way they buy back the blizzard IP's before actiblizz has run them into the ground. (Probably wont be too many years yet.)
    The founders of Blizzard had sold the company many, many years before Activision came around. I think they did it to get the funds to release the original Orcs and Humans Warcraft RTS. Contrary to popular legend Activision didn't swoop in on a plucky little group of developers who had been producing games purely for the love of the art and made them start worrying about money and profits. At the time Activision-Blizzard came into being Blizzard was owned by a ridiculously big mega-global corporation, and it's this corporation that ended up with the controlling interest in both companies.

Blizzard is blizz in name only. Bobby Kotick has already assumed direct control.

Secondly, be careful what you wish for... because there's whispers in some financial circles that ATVI will try to sell off Blizz to Tencent, and if that happens, you'll be nostalgic of the days of ATVI compared to what Tencent would do to WoW, Diablo, and starcraft... mtx city

...because Activision owns Blizzard.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    there is no blizzard anymore.

blizzard were people who cared about product quality and fans and they actually enjoyed their own games.
    those people left activision-blizzard.
    I think this copy-paste response is no longer good idea after last week news.

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    Blizzard is blizz in name only. Bobby Kotick has already assumed direct control.

Secondly, be careful what you wish for... because there's whispers in some financial circles that ATVI will try to sell off Blizz to Tencent, and if that happens, you'll be nostalgic of the days of ATVI compared to what Tencent would do to WoW, Diablo, and starcraft... mtx city
    Got a source that isn't "dude trust me"?

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I believe Activision owns the seats at Blizzard. So, unless Activision releases (sells) those board seats, Blizzard is pretty much its bitch.
    Hence Mike recreating selling to them as "the worse mistake they made".

Quote Originally Posted by Amorac View Post
    This sound like a buyout to me:

Also
    I think it's the phrasing, while technically correct saying "Activision-Blizzard bought out Vivendi" makes it sound like A-B became owners of Vivendi. "Acti-Blizz bought themselves out from Vivendi" is clearer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    I believe Activision owns the seats at Blizzard. So, unless Activision releases (sells) those board seats, Blizzard is pretty much its bitch.
    When did Mike say that?

Quote Originally Posted by Popikaify View Post
    Im not sure how that works,but since they merged long time ago,why they cant just split ? i really cant stand bobby kotick,nor his name nor his face and company leadership.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    ...because Activision owns Blizzard.
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    No they don't. Activision and Blizzard are two separate companies under one holding company roof, Activision-Blizzard. People need to stop with "Activision owns Blizzard" because it is completely false.

sadly they cant leave the only option they have is for a bigger company to buy them out.

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    They can't leae Activision because they aren't a part of Activision. Activision and Blizzard are controlled by a holding company by the name of Activision-Blizzard. They are separate companies.
    Activision Blizzard is Activision - they renamed the company when they bought Blizzard.