Page 1 of 2
LastLast

what's the situation of wow right now?

I've quitted wow long ago. However, youtube keeps sending me videos of Asmongold, talking about how bad the situation of the game is right now.

So what's the real situation? Do people still play wow or switch to FF14?

It’s at his lowest.

Bad story, really average and lacking content with FF14 flowering, streamers and youtubers quitting everywhere, New World releasing this month and rapists and killers inside their workplace

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Cliff notes:

- Shadowlands is generally considered average-at-best, too feature dense, and lacking for fun.

- 9.1 is largely panned outside the raid, ESPECIALLy in the story departmnet.

- Huge sexual abuse scandal that stretches back to in theory WOW's inception that just took down the company president today.

- And yes, you're seeing a huge swell of "content creator" types that are making the jump from WoW to FF14, at least on a trial basis.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

15+ Year Old Account
    Here’s a video covering the current state of WoW in detail.

You’re welcome.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

Quote Originally Posted by ruwshtyb View Post
    I've quitted wow long ago. However, youtube keeps sending me videos of Asmongold, talking about how bad the situation of the game is right now.

• Expansions are incredibly content sparse now. Not even 10 hours of questing content, and once you reach level cap there are no more story quests to do. What little story content is left is heavily timegated.
    • The game is now raid or die. There is nothing to do at max level besides the latest raid. In order to do the latest raid, you need to be doing three hours of chores every day, first doing your world quest (shitty replacement for MoP's dailies, except without the interesting storylines), then you have to do your Mythic+ dungeon runs (basically challenge mode/time attack but with Diablo 3 affixes), and then you have to do Chorghast and grind different resources. Then you can raid.
    • Story is shit
    • Music isn't as good as it used to be. IIRC Russell Brower no longer composes for WoW anymore.
    • It took 7 months for Shadowlands to get its first patch, and it was one of the most content light patches in the game's history since the infamous 6.1, and was rushed out in an incomplete state. It's been 20 months since Covid started and Blizzard still can't figure out how to develop content. On top of that, apparently development of WoW has ceased for the time being, so there may very well be no patch 9.2 until Spring 2022. Who knows if a 9.3 will even happen.
    • The devs continue to insult their paying customers.

So yeah, people are fed up, especially when there is an alternative game that delivers patches once every 3.5 months, doesn't really on the playerbase as unpaid beta testers and push out unfinished buggy patches, the devs actually respect their playerbase, has good music, story is good, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    So yeah, people are fed up, especially when there is an alternative game that delivers patches once every 3.5 months, doesn't really on the playerbase as unpaid beta testers and push out unfinished buggy patches, the devs actually respect their playerbase, has good music, story is good, etc.
    Oh how I wish I enjoyed FF14... I know many people that play & raid at a high level on FF14, but sadly, despite trying three times, it just doesn't work for me.

OT: I've not played WoW for 2 months, but as an outsider looking at 9.1, it doesn't look that much different to your average WoW patch over the past 15 years to be honest: Handful of quests, new chores, new dungeon & a raid.

It's become the "cool" thing to say the story is bad as if it's somehow worse than it was before. If you liked it before you should like it now just fine unless you're trying to win brownie points with some imaginary people somewhere.

10+ Year Old Account

Plenty of people still play. Some in support, some because they want, some for fun, and so on.

But it currently is not going the best it could.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

• Expansions are incredibly content sparse now. Not even 10 hours of questing content, and once you reach level cap there are no more story quests to do. What little story content is left is heavily timegated.
    • The game is now raid or die. There is nothing to do at max level besides the latest raid. In order to do the latest raid, you need to be doing three hours of chores every day, first doing your world quest (shitty replacement for MoP's dailies, except without the interesting storylines), then you have to do your Mythic+ dungeon runs (basically challenge mode/time attack but with Diablo 3 affixes), and then you have to do Chorghast and grind different resources. Then you can raid.
    • Story is shit
    • Music isn't as good as it used to be. IIRC Russell Brower no longer composes for WoW anymore.
    • It took 7 months for Shadowlands to get its first patch, and it was one of the most content light patches in the game's history since the infamous 6.1, and was rushed out in an incomplete state. It's been 20 months since Covid started and Blizzard still can't figure out how to develop content. On top of that, apparently development of WoW has ceased for the time being, so there may very well be no patch 9.2 until Spring 2022. Who knows if a 9.3 will even happen.

90% of what you're saying is inaccurate. Almost wildly so.

Here's my perspective on the game. It's relevant to take into account social context:

There is currently a war for people's minds going on. The war is fought over the popular vote, but the vote doesn't happen at the ballot box. The ballot box is already taken. Each person votes for us to lose this war if you wear the mask or take the injection.

A lot of people don't understand this, including people in the game. Being in the presence of people who don't understand this right now is very frustrating, as it's like being surrounded by a bunch of gleeful totalitarians before everyone starts to die left and right in WWII.

Therefore, for me, a guild right now is not an option. I enjoy the world content in Korthia that's fun to do, and I can do it every day, alone. I enjoy M+ dungeons which I can do with my wife in random PUGs. Completing four M+15 a week gives me two loot boxes with item level 252 gear, which will get me to full gear in due time.

I don't care so much for raiding right now, first because it requires the social element which is horrible, and second because I'm too busy checking what's going on in the world, how everyone is dying left and right, and the gaslighting and manipulation that's going on.

The game is a pastime right now. WoW is a fun pastime. I think the story is cool. I think the time-gating is fine. The most significant problem I can identify is that there's major lag in Korthia when people are killing the world boss in a zone nearby.

I think Blizzard could spend a lot less time navel-gazing over their imagined sex scandals. If you have 5,000 employees, things are gonna go down. It doesn't help them that they live in California, which is an insane state where it's possible that 2/3 of the inhabitants will die.

Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    90% of what you're saying is inaccurate. Almost wildly so.
    I'm wondering this myself... Nothing against Val or anyone else, but I'm curious as to what there was to do in previous expansions that no longer there in modern WoW.

What did your average TBC/Wrath patch have that recent major WoW patches haven't had?

What content stopped WoW from being raid or die in the past? Is it simply a case of rewards? WoW had chores then & chores now, still has PvP, & now also has M+ on top... What is it missing?

& really, like you said, the story has always been shit The store is there to yoink the players from point A to point B.

(I've no idea about the music, but I agree on the length it took for 9.1 to come out & the apparent disdain Blizzard seem to have for their players).

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Casshern View Post
    It’s at his lowest.

Bad story, really average and lacking content with FF14 flowering, streamers and youtubers quitting everywhere, New World releasing this month and rapists and killers inside their workplace
    Rapists and killers? I don't think I have seen a single article about anyone being raped or anyone being murdered at blizzard or blizzard harboring anyone like this. I heard a woman committed suicide though the full release as to why she actually committed suicide was never released but comment about nude photos prior to her committing suicide was released; though that doesn't inherently make the 2 connected. And they obviously have the sexual harassment case from the State of California going against them but again no allegations of either murder or rape. Perhaps you have some source citing these (2) charges are also included in the lawsuit from the State of California?

• Story is shit

Which game is that? Been meaning to try out ESO.

Quote Originally Posted by Toybox View Post
    I'm wondering this myself... Nothing against Val or anyone else, but I'm curious as to what there was to do in previous expansions that no longer there in modern WoW.

What did your average TBC/Wrath patch have that recent major WoW patches haven't had?

What content stopped WoW from being raid or die in the past? Is it simply a case of rewards? WoW had chores then & chores now, still has PvP, & now also has M+ on top... What is it missing?

& really, like you said, the story has always been shit The store is there to yoink the players from point A to point B.
    I always see this too and I'm quite confused. Heck the original posts even says "The game is raid or die, but you also have to do X,Y and Z" which is just like "isn't that every expansion?".

The game has always been raid or pvp with raiding having some other tasks you need to do. Be it dailies, farming resist gear, or crafting. M+ was like the one new branch the game has got its whole life span, and its got a nice hater community too.

I too like to pretend not to know things in the hope it sparks a heated discussion.

Also this is the guy who shills for the CCP, so I wouldn't bother with serious replies.

More impactful than anyone's personal grievances with the game Blizzard got a massive sexual harassment lawsuit handed out to them and their stock took a steep drop.

Eh, from a strictly casual point of view, I'm still enjoying it. Granted I don't raid/pvp/M+, but there's more than enough to keep me interested in the game. I have no intention of jumping ship.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is far more than 10 hours of story content in Shadowlands. While, yes, the original covenant campaigns were timegated, that's not the case anymore for alts or people who return.

This is a huge exaggeration and completely untrue. You do not have to raid at max level; you can craft gear, run world quests, do LFR, play Mythic+, do PvP, level alts - all of the same you did before. You can do all, or just one or two. You do not have to raid, and you definitely don't have to do "three hours of chores" every day; I log in for raid twice a week and spend a few extra hours a week doing a Torghast run or two, some dailies here and there, and just dicking around with alts. Perhaps if you're trying to be top-tier of the world Mythic raiding that might be slightly close to true, but that can't be more than 1% or less of the playerbase.

• Story is shit

I've played FF14, and I don't find the story to be particularly good - it's freakin boring, and having to repeat it over and over again for every alt is insanity. I do like the game, that's why I play it as well, but I wouldn't call it even closely competitive to WoW.

7+ Year Old Account
    • Story is shit

Oh man, maybe you should take of your hate glasses because what your said is mostly biased nonsense.

- People always complained that leveling took too much time and "we wanna play the endgame, not leveling". Now Blizzard made leveling indeed quicker and you complain it's too short? WoW
    - Yes there is timegating, but still we get more regular new story content than with past expansions, which is actually a good thing imo
    - The game is as far away from raid or die as ever lol. PvP is a valid method for gear (and was especially in S1 better than raiding!). M+ is this season more accessable than ever, you can easy time +15 keys in pugs. Domination Shard Boni only work in the Raid/Torghast/Korthia, making it far better than past tier sets as you don't really need them if you don't wanna raid.
    - I love the story. I love the setting. Btw, that point is subjective as hell.
    - I don't play WoW for it's music so I wouldn't know lol - still, subjective.
    - Yes the patch took to long.
    - How exactly? Or do you get hurt when seeing someone riding a store mount because you don't have enough pocket money for it?

#TEAMGIRAFFE

• Story is shit

I think a lot of this is BS to be honest.

1. Expansions aren't any more content sparse now than they used to be though the unfortunate issue of SL is that with the 4 covenants a lot of work is kinda wasted because a lot of people won't get to see all the stuff they put in and you can only play 1 covenant per char anyways. I think the talk of "nothing to do" is insanely exaggerated though because expansions like Wotlk or Cata didn't have a story at max level and even though something like the covenant campaign is time gated, it's something as opposed to nothing.

2. This is just mostly false so I don't even know where to start. You're saying the game is raid or die yet you bring up alternative things you can go in the game like m+ and torghast which is 2 different features of content that weren't around in Wotlk or Cata for example - when the game was most definitely raid or die. SL has all the features of the older expansions but more on top of that. 3 hours of chores every day is also just plain wrong and it just seems convenient to "forget" a lot of the chores of vanilla or tbc where a lot of time was spent grinding very minor things in order to raid.

3. Story is definitely pretty bland but I don't think it was ever great to begin with. It was okay and then it got worse.

4. Can't really comment as I've mostly played without music/sound since I started in TBC (in order to listen to music) so I'll take your word for it.

5. 9.1 definitely took time but strong disagree on the "one of the most content light patchs in the game's history". Like others have pointed out, the patches back in the 'good old days' as people like to refer to them pretty much always featured a raid, a dungeon and a zone. If you were lucky maybe you got something more. 9.1 isn't really any worse than most patches in that regard.

6. In terms of decisions in game there's definitely been a lot of questionable ones in the last few years but I felt more annoyed by the devs back in Wotlk when maintenance would go on until 15.00 a lot of the time, there was nothing to do in the game outside of raids and I felt I was a paying customer for running laps around Dalaran all the time. SL has its issues but I guess part of me can appreciate that we're at least getting content, even if a lot of it is buggy.