Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Am I? The dude said himself the move was in place before all this shit went down.
    Yes, you are leaving it out. Not to say that it isn't entirely reasonable that he could have been planning to leave unrelated to his own conduct at the company, and coincidence is just making him look bad in this scenario. It may look bad at a glance, but that doesn't automatically mean it is. It also doesn't mean his move is necessarily unrelated, frankly we just don't have enough information to do anything other than wild speculation with regards to him (unless someone actually has some specific information about him).

I'm not going to condemn him nor assume he is innocent, because I lack sufficient information to support either conclusion. Both seem possible, I have nowhere near enough facts about the situation to make any sort of reasonable judgement on it. So I'm withholding judgement until more facts become available.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    The people leaving because the environment is toxic are the lower workers we don’t hear about the metzen’s and morheim’s are the ones who helped make it that way and keep it that way if ex and current employe statements are any thing to go off of.
    I think that's partially correct, but I do think that Activision may have some culpability in the toxic environment too. They've been trying to pressure/squeeze more out of Blizzard at the expense of quality, and that kind of pressure works it's way down the chain. I guess it depends whether Metzen/Morheim left because they were sick of Activison, or if they saw which way the wind was blowing with harassment and didn't want to be there when things blew up.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Yes, you are leaving it out. Not to say that it isn't entirely reasonable that he could have been planning to leave unrelated to his own conduct at the company, and coincidence is just making him look bad in this scenario. It may look bad at a glance, but that doesn't automatically mean it is. It also doesn't mean his move is necessarily unrelated, frankly we just don't have enough information to do anything other than wild speculation with regards to him (unless someone actually has some specific information about him).

I'm not going to condemn him nor assume he is innocent, because I lack sufficient information to support either conclusion. Both seem possible, I have nowhere near enough facts about the situation to make any sort of reasonable judgement on it. So I'm withholding judgement until more facts become available.
    It sounds like you're waiting for evidence that it wasn't a coincidence rather than evidence that it was. We don't know but I don't think that it's exceptionally hard to believe that the dude was sought after by other game development companies in the industry. And in those situations, the usual motivating factor for people leaving established roles is the almighty dollar so again, that's a reasonable deduction to make. I don't particularly think it's productive to always assume the worst but to each their own I guess.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosteye View Post
    I think that's partially correct, but I do think that Activision may have some culpability in the toxic environment too. They've been trying to pressure/squeeze more out of Blizzard at the expense of quality, and that kind of pressure works it's way down the chain. I guess it depends whether Metzen/Morheim left because they were sick of Activison, or if they saw which way the wind was blowing with harassment and didn't want to be there when things blew up.
    Activison is just a scape goat at most we have some people saying the budget for wc3 wasn't big enough but that likely falls on blizzard as well as they had a ton of products going on at any one time and cancel many of them so its more likely then not they were just spreading the money they were given to thinly.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

It's as good a time as any to jump ship so good for him.

10+ Year Old Account
    It sounds like you're waiting for evidence that it wasn't a coincidence rather than evidence that it was. We don't know but I don't think that it's exceptionally hard to believe that the dude was sought after by other game development companies in the industry. And in those situations, the usual motivating factor for people leaving established roles is the almighty dollar so again, that's a reasonable deduction to make. I don't particularly think it's productive to always assume the worst but to each their own I guess.
    No, I'm waiting for any evidence to point in either direction before I make any declarative statements based upon my judgement because I dislike jumping to conclusions. That is the entire point of withholding judgement, which I literally said I was doing. I just took issue with you omitting information that has the potential to be relevant to the situation because it weakened your assumption.
    Last edited by TEHPALLYTANK; 2021-08-04 at 07:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Demsi View Post
    "Probably" Do you know this or are you just making an assumption?
    There's is a 66.666% chance (repeating of course) that he said this.

10+ Year Old Account
    No one knows if Morrison left due to disgust (imaginary or otherwise) with the company, if he was pushed for past discipline issues, or if he was offered something good elsewhere. I imagine that other game studios are recruiting hard with an eye toward poaching good people that may be dissatisfied with what the future looks like at Blizzard. Times of turmoil are often very good for poaching employees.

We don't know (for now) and it's pointless to act like we do.

Or we could take him at his word that his exit had been long planned and doesn't have a lot to do with anything that's in the news. Seems the best option to me.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2021-08-04 at 07:55 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I mean who would want to stay? First a lawsuit from the state of california which kickstarted it all. Then the stocks plummet and the shareholders are filing a lawsuit because they would never have supported this company if this was the state their work culture instead of being told lies. Oh and then t-mobile telecom decides to pull its money and sponsorship stuff from the esports scene for overwatch and call of duty on the same day that both the head of human resources and also the president of blizzard leave.

I think Craig is innocent in the matter and simply wants to seek better opportunities. If I am wrong, I will accept that. but for now I just view it as the company is falling apart from all of this and the employees want to strike and/or leave.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Am I? The dude said himself the move was in place before all this shit went down.
    So 2 years ago when the investigation started?! He knew about the investigation long before we did, he wanted to jump ship was not able to get out before things go public.... because he waited too long! Or maybe they fired him, we will never know because Blizzard just let the people say they leave on their own... to save their rep...

He was also was a big part of some of the Funcom disasters: Anarchy Online, Age of Conan, and others...

Quote Originally Posted by |Dexter| View Post
    So 2 years ago when the investigation started?! He knew about the investigation long before we did, he wanted to jump ship was not able to get out before things go public.... because he waited too long! Or maybe they fired him, we will never know because Blizzard just let the people say they leave on their own... to save their rep...

He was also was a big part of some of the Funcom disasters: Anarchy Online, Age of Conan, and others...
    Sure, you can view everything through the most cynical lens possible. That's cool. You do you my dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeebs View Post
    Yeah this is something I don't get, people think Morheim could be this patron saint of gaming, but at the end of the day he is a Tech CEO, 99% of those are complete assholes, really think he was different? Maybe he was slightly more 'gamer friendly' but he's still a CEO thats in the job to make money. Maybe he will different now that he has his m(b)illions and can be the head of a VC firm, but he will still be cutthroat on getting his ROI.

Metzen basically had a complete mental breakdown, him being a bit of a sexist I could maybe (somewhat) rub off on his generation and just how his life was for a long time, but it does feel to me the more corporate Blizzard got, the worse he looked.
    This whole post just comes off as someone talking who thinks they know what they're talking about, but really doesn't know what they're talking about.

Please tell us more how many Tech CEOs you know personally enough to say "99% of them are assholes", and I'll be waiting to hear more about your personal relationship with Metzen that entitles you to say he "basically had a mental breakdown". Are you his psychologist?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Goat View Post
    This whole post just comes off as someone talking who thinks they know what they're talking about, but really doesn't know what they're talking about.

Please tell us more how many Tech CEOs you know personally enough to say "99% of them are assholes"
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/stephan...h=298d5a2247c4
    relationship with Metzen that entitles you to say he "basically had a mental breakdown". Are you his psychologist?
    https://kotaku.com/chris-metzen-on-l...ani-1789047653

You claimed that 99% are assholes - the article you linked to support this claim says 3.5%. So where did the 99% come from?

- - - Updated - - -

Just to be very clear, a panic attack is NOT a mental breakdown. Yes, there is some overlap between the two, but that is to be expected. Again, NOT the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    You claimed that 99% are assholes - the article you linked to support this claim says 3.5%. So where did the 99% come from?
    exaggeration and my own interactions with high level executives at my own company.

You remember the assholes you work with and the gems, you dont remember the 'whatevers'

And on metzen, its colloquial exaggeration, if you are going to just nitpick all day then have fun.

5+ Year Old Account
    Whoa, that big tough internet guy was pwnt. GG good sir/ma'am

More OT, I think it's just fair to give this Morrison guy the benefit of the doubt. After all, his statement is perfectly reasonable, and I wouldn't blame him for trying to leave as quietly as possible. Especially in the middle of such a massive &$#@storm
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Janitor at Blizzard: Hey I got my degree and got a job as a paralegal at bob and lewis wish me luck thanks Blizz for the support

MMOChamp: gasp this is it wow is dying

exaggeration and my own interactions with high level executives at my own company.

You remember the assholes you work with and the gems, you dont remember the 'whatevers'

And on metzen, its colloquial exaggeration, if you are going to just nitpick all day then have fun.
    Well, I mean when your own source is 95% off it stands to reason that somebody might have a right to be a bit pedantic. :-/

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of people are going to just bail. Blizz is poison right now better to get out while you can.

Well, I mean when your own source is 95% off it stands to reason that somebody might have a right to be a bit pedantic. :-/
    was pulling a number out of my ass initially (just going with the anecdotal, you dont become the CEO of a fortune 500 company, or make a company a fortune 500 company, by being a cuddly teddy bear), but pedants gonna pedant