Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmeebs View Post
    was pulling a number out of my ass initially (just going with the anecdotal, you dont become the CEO of a fortune 500 company, or make a company a fortune 500 company, by being a cuddly teddy bear), but pedants gonna pedant
    Bro, your own source showed the actual figure was closer to 0% than 100% so, like, maybe rethink the way you phrase things before you say them. That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    A lot of people are going to just bail. Blizz is poison right now better to get out while you can.
    Quite the opposite actually. The issues raised are industry wide, so there's no escaping them by simply changing companies. And with the way the Activision Blizzard employees (of all companies under the holding) are banding together and forming a pseudo-union, and potentially a true union, Activision Blizzard is the best place to be at the moment if you're looking to help change the attitude of the industry and shape the future of diversity in it.

I'd be more suspicious of those leaving, because they could very well be racist, sexist, or guilty of the crimes in question and are trying to escape before the axe falls on them.

The way players are making this whole issue, which is about the employees and work conditions, about themselves and their petty grievances over one aspect or another of one of the games is, quite frankly, sickening, and shows that while the employees are certainly working on reducing toxicity amongst them, it seems the playerbase is still a long ways off from reducing it amongst ourselves. The threads over the past week on here have been testament to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeebs View Post
    exaggeration and my own interactions with high level executives at my own company.

You remember the assholes you work with and the gems, you dont remember the 'whatevers'

And on metzen, its colloquial exaggeration, if you are going to just nitpick all day then have fun.
    You linked two articles to support your claim - that obvioulsy means you genuinely believed they were true. Dont backtrack now, and in the future, maybe read the articles you are linking to suppoort your arguemnt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

speculating about why a blizz employee has left right now is more pointless than usual. we can't tell if someone decided to turn in their notice just before all the recent allegations (though with an investor lawsuit as well, this is basically confirmed) or if they are being outed as problems. only time and the revelation of evidence can clear this up.

If he was a system designer all I have to say is good riddance.

I like people are like.. you cannot know he left for the reasons everyone is leaving! But then like.. if that is the case.. how do you know that isn't the case? Just seems like a dumb debate that you might as well take his word on it. Sounds like his departure was going to happen and he didn't want to throw his name in the hat of the situation that is currently ongoing. If that isn't the case I am sure California will come knocking. No reason for us to really worry about it at the moment beyond that.

But it is sad to see him go. He did some pretty decent work even if he wasn't one of the front facing folk that hung out in the Coz. Which.. probably is a good thing right?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demsi View Post
    Did they even do anything bad? I only know of Afrasiabi and Brack as they were mentioned in the lawsuit.
    As Afrasiabi's direct superiors, Morhaime and Metzen could be perceived as his most significant enablers. Jeff Kaplan, who also left, has long history w/ Afrasiabi going back to their EQ days and, while he also was never directly named, would not be surprising if he turned out to be another enabler. This is all hearsay of course and it's better to just let the facts come out than make kneejerk assumptions about why so-and-so left.
    Last edited by Nero Duskwind; 2021-08-05 at 02:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulqiorra View Post
    If you equate playing WoW to having electricity, I feel very, very happy for the rest of the world, as that kind of thinking will, inevitably, lead to the eradication of your seed from the gene pool.
    WoW Toons: Duskwind (retired)/Duskrime (retired)
    Diablo 3 Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    I like people are like.. you cannot know he left for the reasons everyone is leaving! But then like.. if that is the case.. how do you know that isn't the case?
    The default is that it's unrelated, because in a huge company in this kind of industry there is a natural turnover rate that has people coming and going all the time.

If you think it is related, it's incumbent on you to provide supporting evidence. It could very well be true, but we don't know until we get data to indicate it; until that time, the only reasonable assumption is that it's not related to the lawsuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    The default is that it's unrelated, because in a huge company in this kind of industry there is a natural turnover rate that has people coming and going all the time.

If you think it is related, it's incumbent on you to provide supporting evidence. It could very well be true, but we don't know until we get data to indicate it; until that time, the only reasonable assumption is that it's not related to the lawsuit.
    So you agree with me or something? Because you just said what I said but with a lot more pointlessness. For sure when you crop out and remove context.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nobody can know what some departures may mean now. He might have "jumped ship", but he might also have been a part of the problem and got yeeted.

Or he might have felt his ass was about to be on fire next and bailed to find shelter somewhere else before blowing up.

/shrug

15+ Year Old Account
    Corey stockton’s linkdin and twitter account have been deleted aswell. I guess that whole thing with the suite and his comments where the end of his role within blizzard.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nero Duskwind View Post
    As Afrasiabi's direct superiors, Morhaime and Metzen could be perceived as his most significant enablers. Jeff Kaplan, who also left, has long history w/ Afrasiabi going back to their EQ days and, while he also was never directly named, would not be surprising if he turned out to be another enabler. This is all hearsay of course and it's better to just let the facts come out than make kneejerk assumptions about why so-and-so left.
    Metzen already said that he never directly worked with alex as metzen had nothing to do with him within the company and only went back and forward over lore sometimes.
    Last edited by Vestig3; 2021-08-05 at 11:22 AM.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

So you agree with me or something? Because you just said what I said but with a lot more pointlessness. For sure when you crop out and remove context.
    I'm not agreeing with you, no. Your earlier post tried to invert the burden of proof. This is how weird rumors get started - people operating on assumptions they think are justified, without any actual data to justify them. It could very well turn out that it was related in this case, but until we know anything more it's not a reasonable assumption to make given the long leadup time and high natural turnover in the industry.

Those details aren't "pointless". It's how proper arguments work. If you're not interested in proper arguments then, fair enough, you do you.

I'm not agreeing with you, no. Your earlier post tried to invert the burden of proof. This is how weird rumors get started - people operating on assumptions they think are justified, without any actual data to justify them. It could very well turn out that it was related in this case, but until we know anything more it's not a reasonable assumption to make given the long leadup time and high natural turnover in the industry.

Those details aren't "pointless". It's how proper arguments work. If you're not interested in proper arguments then, fair enough, you do you.
    The problem with your case study is I said "we don't know do the conversation is pointless so leave it to investigators" so in fact I was defending him from allocations. Thanks for more fancy words built on a foundation of fundimental lack of reading comperention. Now, go crop out a few individual words removing context to make yourself feel merited when in reality it will just be marketed.

tbh everyone should jump ship, people who work there and dont look for alternatic workplaces have only themselves to blame.
    I did the same, my old place was toxic, changed my workplace and get more money and no headache after work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosteye View Post
    I think that's partially correct, but I do think that Activision may have some culpability in the toxic environment too. They've been trying to pressure/squeeze more out of Blizzard at the expense of quality, and that kind of pressure works it's way down the chain. I guess it depends whether Metzen/Morheim left because they were sick of Activison, or if they saw which way the wind was blowing with harassment and didn't want to be there when things blew up.
    This "evil Activision" doing bad things to poor Morhaime, Metzen and Blizzard is nothing more than a forum fable.

It's really about time people start to have reality sink in that Blizzard's fuckups are in fact their own. And yes it includes our Holy Saint Morhaime who in last years of his tenure pulled disaster after disaster and left a company with nothing in the pipeline for years.

These are the guys who practically killed off Starcraft, HoTS and Diablo, brought WoW low, while they were sitting on their asses milking their card game and WoW.

Imagine that last 5 years Blizzard did not release even one new game. That's not because Activision held them back, it's because Blizzard fucking lost it.

And if there is one good thing about this whole lawsuit and slump, is that I legit hope Activision takes over for good, so Blizzard can get new blood in - people who actually would want to make and release new games instead of living off their parents (WoW).

fundimental lack of reading comperention.
    I think I'll have to bow out, this gave me too much of an ironygasm.

In all seriousness though, I do expect a genuine wave of quits in the wake of these events. I'm sure rival companies are mailing out offers to prospective poaches every hour at this point, and no doubt some people will also just be fed up with it all. But these things tend to take time, so it'll be a while until we get a better picture of what the personnel situation is going to look like.

In any event, I find it unlikely that there'll be fatal hemorrhage; the activism from the Activision workers speaks, to me, of a genuine desire to make it work. Make changes, absolutely, but make it work nonetheless.

I think I'll have to bow out, this gave me too much of an ironygasm.

In all seriousness though, I do expect a genuine wave of quits in the wake of these events. I'm sure rival companies are mailing out offers to prospective poaches every hour at this point, and no doubt some people will also just be fed up with it all. But these things tend to take time, so it'll be a while until we get a better picture of what the personnel situation is going to look like.

In any event, I find it unlikely that there'll be fatal hemorrhage; the activism from the Activision workers speaks, to me, of a genuine desire to make it work. Make changes, absolutely, but make it work nonetheless.
    Crop out of context to make a point then pull the "bow out" card. SOP around here. The lesson to take from this is bow out before jumping in the ring.

I mean -- every game Morisson worked on turned into shit. So its a net positive.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TidalConflux View Post
    I mean -- every game Morisson worked on turned into shit. So its a net positive.
    Tbh I don't think the guy was to blame, there appears to have been much bigger fish muddying the waters.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Vestig3 View Post
    Metzen already said that he never directly worked with alex as metzen had nothing to do with him within the company and only went back and forward over lore sometimes.
    Haha. It's funny how people will immediately take the word of people they like. Afrasiabi is referenced in the Vanilla WoW game about 15 different times. He is literally in the game as a character. He was one of the first people Blizzard hired onto WoW as a project, and he designed entire zones full of quests. You honestly think Chris Metzen had "nothing to do with him"? Really? What if Afrasiabi decides to write up a quick statement saying he "doesn't know" any of the men/women/other that are accusing him, do we just believe him too?

Even assuming you can stare in the face of reality and deny it, there's some obsessive culture around here that if you are in any way superior to someone else in a workplace, you are 100% responsible for everything that person does. Metzen was superior to every single person you've seen in any of the pictures or messages that have come out about this situation. He directly profited off their work, left before the cards came tumbling down, and now people like you are letting him off scot-free because he's gone to make board games or something. Grow up. If you want to LARP about caring about workplace culture in a company you don't work at, you don't get to half-ass it.