Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ...
5
6
7
8
9
17
... LastLast
  1. #121
    Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    Same with Islands where the idea likely was to reuse assets to create large amounts of procedurally generated content. The issue in that case being that the timer meant that there was no way of simply enjoying the content ar your own pace.
    Yeah exactly, the timer turned the whole thing hardcore again.

  2. #122
    Quote Originally Posted by |Dexter| View Post
    Associate Game Director! Sounds good and they are hiring someone new not one of the other WoW team members.... sure this is where that diversity comes in, it will likely be one woman or black woman becoming the Associate Game Director!

    I got nothing against that but it's clear Blizzard trying to change their all-white male developer's teams! To look better to the outside world and in the upcoming court battle

    Also: Maintain communication with the community via forum posts, press announcements, interviews, and public appearances... Finally, someone that talks to the player base!
    If thats the case, that would backfire greatly as that particular women of colour would get roasted by the toxic wow community over issues with the game for sure.

  3. #123
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    That still exists today the same as it did before. The problem is you don't exist the same as you did before so now you have to find all of these reasons to explain it rather then simply that your tastes and needs in a game has changed.
    Yeah, the removal of glyphs is just one of many examples that doesn’t help this statement. At least they listened to concerns regarding character race cosmetics. But you can tell there isn’t much investment going into the game. Class sets are another example. My tastes and needs have definitely not changed.

  4. #124
    I just feel like they're hiring because they're desperate. People see that and think the game is going to get "fixed" so they come back --> numbers go up again --> then they get laid off. I don't understand how people can fall for the same tactics over and over.

  5. #125
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivarr View Post
    Yeah exactly, the timer turned the whole thing hardcore again.
    I wouldnt say hardcore. Outside the very beginning, and briefly when they were returned for 8.1 they were easy as shit. I would rather say the issue with them were that you did them both with a timer, and also with other players, which essentially forced a playstyle of constant Mass pulls and AoE.

    In hindsight I think the ideal variant of them would have been daily quest hubs honestly. Each day you talk to Flynn and get teleported to one of the islands to do random quests, either alone or in a group. That way you get the essential elements of Islands, but without the timer and stress, and also allowing more in-depth quests instead of just having you kill hundreds of mobs.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

  6. #126
    Over 9000! Soon-TM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Netherstorm
    Posts
    9,259
    I just hope that all these new hires will be working on actual content instead of MOAR SYSTEMZ
    If the Janitor managed to pwn Azeroth:

    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    "Die, wold soul of *incomprehensible mumbling* with your death my plan to *incomprehensible mumbling* finally fullfilled and *incomprehensible mumbling*!"

  7. #127
    Quote Originally Posted by Polybius View Post
    Yeah, the removal of glyphs is just one of many examples that doesn’t help this statement. At least they listened to concerns regarding character race cosmetics. But you can tell there isn’t much investment going into the game. Class sets are another example. My tastes and needs have definitely not changed.

    How does the removal of glyphs show that the devs are no longer immersed in the game and have no creativity?
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  8. #128
    Pit Lord Sluvs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    The void
    Posts
    2,370
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    How does the removal of glyphs show that the devs are no longer immersed in the game and have no creativity?
    While I disagree with the idea that the devs don't play or are not immersed in the game, the glyph system was pretty good, and its latter interations were underwhelming.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

  9. #129
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    https://careers.blizzard.com/global/...ld-of-Warcraft

    I'm very curious as to why would Ion need someone to "partner with", according to the job description.

    Edit: forgot to mention in the thread title that this Associate Game Director job is for WoW, of course.
    Because the position has been vacant since Ion was promoted to Game Director when Tom Chilton left the Warcraft team. Blizzard has decided to back-fill it.

  10. #130
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    https://careers.blizzard.com/global/...ld-of-Warcraft

    I'm very curious as to why would Ion need someone to "partner with", according to the job description.

    Edit: forgot to mention in the thread title that this Associate Game Director job is for WoW, of course.
    training his replacement, one can hope. though, being trained by Ion may poison the well a bit.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJuice View Post
    I just feel like they're hiring because they're desperate. People see that and think the game is going to get "fixed" so they come back --> numbers go up again --> then they get laid off. I don't understand how people can fall for the same tactics over and over.
    hiring 20 people wont fix wow.

  11. #131
    Because it's dangerous to go alone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Garretdejiko View Post
    Cause his last two expansion have been an outstanding success
    ´They most definitely have from a financial standpoint.

  12. #132
    Quote Originally Posted by ek0zu View Post
    I think the only person in the entire world who covers these requirements:

    Knowledgeable and enthusiastic about WoW

    8+ years of design experience with multiple shipped AAA titles in a leadership role


    is FFXIV's Yoshi-P. The position will be filled from within as many people have said, i would love to see new blood coming, with fresh ideas but i simply don't think that there are many people willing to come over (if there are any) unless they get paid really really really well.
    Seriously, how delusional one can be to think that only a single person who happens to be from another MMO can fill this role.

    I am legit not sure if some of you guys are trolling with all this FF14 bullshit lately or bloody serious.

  13. #133
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    ´They most definitely have from a financial standpoint.
    Because is the only thing that matter$

  14. #134
    Over 9000! Soon-TM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Netherstorm
    Posts
    9,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Garretdejiko View Post
    Because is the only thing that matter$
    From a corporate PoV, absolutely. Making a high quality product is way down the priority list.
    If the Janitor managed to pwn Azeroth:

    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    "Die, wold soul of *incomprehensible mumbling* with your death my plan to *incomprehensible mumbling* finally fullfilled and *incomprehensible mumbling*!"

  15. #135
    Quote Originally Posted by Garretdejiko View Post
    Because is the only thing that matter$
    Yes, from the standpoint of financial success and their shareholders, it is. No money, no more production. If nobody plays, they don't make money, and Legion, BfA and now SL have made absolute bank.

    The people looking to make money from the game couldn't care less if Joe Schmoe (me) on MMO-C is unhappy with the class design, they'll start to worry if the game starts losing money/won't grow profits over time. Ion's time with the game hasn't exactly shown signs of disaster for the game financially.

  16. #136
    Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post



    Ion was a great raid designer. the problem is: he dont raid design since a great while. he is game director.
    I'll bet Ion is still a lead raid-designer despite beeing named "Game Director" if he is more of a manager now, what did he actually manage? Does he have every 5 minutes video conference meetings due to covid with his underlings? Does he plan new exciting stuff for the game and discuss those ideas with other devs? Does he play the game to see how its evolved?

    Does he communicate much with the players to get some feedback of the state of the game from their perspective?


    He seems like a smart guy, but with a huge tunnelvision to one thing. More an expert in his field. A game director is a little bit different than that and i bet not an easy job to do on a game as huge as WoW, i mean its huge even for mmorpg standards.

    Didn't have TBC 3 game lead devs aka game directors?

  17. #137
    The Insane Thage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground
    Posts
    19,086
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    https://careers.blizzard.com/global/...ld-of-Warcraft

    I'm very curious as to why would Ion need someone to "partner with", according to the job description.

    Edit: forgot to mention in the thread title that this Associate Game Director job is for WoW, of course.
    Because while Ion is exceptional in the fields that hold his interest, namely raid design and the like, he's an abject failure in every other front and needs someone who cares about casual gameplay and can point out his needlessly-overcomplicated designs for what they are.

    He is, in essence, the very model of a modern major-general. Great at everything except what his job requires.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!



  18. #138
    Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    Because while Ion is exceptional in the fields that hold his interest, namely raid design and the like, he's an abject failure in every other front and needs someone who cares about casual gameplay and can point out his needlessly-overcomplicated designs for what they are.

    He is, in essence, the very model of a modern major-general. Great at everything except what his job requires.
    How many years did you go to school for that degree in Armchair Psychology?

  19. #139
    Finally some checks and balances to the game director position. It's about damn time.


  20. #140
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabled View Post
    It's one of those "sounds good on paper but it's terrible in reality" kinds of things. Just because someones good at something doesn't mean they aren't a garbage person otherwise. Hell, before being hired by Blizzard, Afrasiabi alone was known for his controversial hot takes and feedback of EQ, that should have been a red flag even then.
    Same with Kaplan. His best bragging point was making MC in a week. Hardly something to brag about.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •